PDA

View Full Version : Man up a pole

canuck
24-Aug-07, 18:46
Not that I needed entertaining, but Caithness has laid on another interesting performance. Yesterday we watched a man hammer around a wooden pole out beyond the garden wall. Then he climbed up a ladder and hammered a bit further up the pole. Down he came and extended the ladder a bit more and up again went man and hammer. Finally as we held our breath he extended a now somewhat shakey ladder to inspect the top of said pole. Wow, the drama of it all. I assume that the pole passed its test. It is still in place today.

grumpyhippo
24-Aug-07, 18:58
I had heard that there were quite a few Poles in Caithness, I guess you must have been watching just one of them.But I think its a bit much that somebody feels the need to hit them with a hammer. If they come back you should tell them to stop or at least go and pick on a different pole.:lol::lol:

Torvaig
24-Aug-07, 21:54
Not that I needed entertaining, but Caithness has laid on another interesting performance. Yesterday we watched a man hammer around a wooden pole out beyond the garden wall. Then he climbed up a ladder and hammered a bit further up the pole. Down he came and extended the ladder a bit more and up again went man and hammer. Finally as we held our breath he extended a now somewhat shakey ladder to inspect the top of said pole. Wow, the drama of it all. I assume that the pole passed its test. It is still in place today.

Yes Canuck, believe it or not that is someone's job! They have to test the poles to make sure they are still sturdy.....after all, you wouldn't want one to fall on your head.....;)

jsherris
24-Aug-07, 21:58

Canuck... was the ladder shaking because it was scared of being up so high? [lol]

Fran
25-Aug-07, 00:07
I saw one near to my garden. I think he was putting in "steps" up the pole for BT.

Moira
25-Aug-07, 01:44
Yes Canuck, believe it or not that is someone's job! They have to test the poles to make sure they are still sturdy.....after all, you wouldn't want one to fall on your head.....;)

Thanks Torvaig. You are right - I wouldn't wish one to fall on my head. Canuck & I were fascinated by the "performance" though. Hubby did explain the Health & Safety issues behind it all when we asked him. I was more concerned that our Broadband connection would fail the more he hammered at the pole!

canuck
25-Aug-07, 09:57
I am off now for the long drive south.

Thank you again Caithness for all the wonderful adventures I have had over these past few days.

veekay
25-Aug-07, 10:20
Safe journey. Come back soon

BRIE
25-Aug-07, 14:05
was his name woody???
woody woodpecker!!!:lol: