PDA

View Full Version : Just got Midged!

neepnipper
23-Aug-07, 08:13
Has anyone else got the midges this morning? Just come in from seeing to the animals and I've counted 30 bites on my face and neck, little blighters, it's heaving with them out there.

changilass
23-Aug-07, 08:29
They were out yesterday as well, neepnipper, I got 3 bites just answering the door to the posite [disgust], now I don't want to go out, but the wee man loves school far to much for me to deprive him of it :D

paris
23-Aug-07, 08:57
Im alergic to insect bites and while living in caithness i was always covered in them, had to take anti- histimens tabs all the time. For such a tiny fly boy do they bite ! jan x

pat
23-Aug-07, 09:07
Yes they are out with me too and biting like billy oooohh.
Have to get the peat fire burning now and get round to buying a Midge Eater either this year or very soon.

emszxr
23-Aug-07, 10:12
they seemed to all have come out at once in the last few days. its been not too bad up til this week and we get them bad here. but this week has beein really bad. i managed to hang out 6 bit sof washing on line other night and that was all i could handle.
we are seriously thinking about a midge machine.

Metalattakk
23-Aug-07, 10:23
Has anyone else got the midges this morning? Just come in from seeing to the animals and I've counted 30 bites on my face and neck, little blighters, it's heaving with them out there.

LOL! neepnipper gets his neep nipped!

I have stories of Stag nights, a pink bri-nylon nightie, telegraph poles in Forsinard and millions of midges. Heaving black clouds of the wee blighters.

But I couldn't possibly relate that story here. ;)

Ricco
23-Aug-07, 10:45
Its weird, but I can't remember midges at all from my childhood. I spent many hours on the moors, up the river, along the shore and riding by bike for miles. But I don't recall having problems with midges. Strange..:eek:

canuck
23-Aug-07, 13:36
Its weird, but I can't remember midges at all from my childhood. I spent many hours on the moors, up the river, along the shore and riding by bike for miles. But I don't recall having problems with midges. Strange..:eek:

Ricco, they seem to avoid those of us who have mosquito venom in our bloodstream. It must be like the territorial marking which animals do - avoid this person she/he is a North American blood source.

Still, neepnipper, thanks for the warning.

rhino
23-Aug-07, 18:52
neepnipper,

the army use avon skin so soft to keep them at bay.

hey, you could say its measles and get off work sick!!!!

badger
23-Aug-07, 19:39
Got badly bitten gardening last night - v. spotty this morning. Horrid little things [disgust]

George Brims
23-Aug-07, 20:40
Ricco, they seem to avoid those of us who have mosquito venom in our bloodstream. It must be like the territorial marking which animals do - avoid this person she/he is a North American blood source.
That can't be right Canuck, as my defence against all kinds of flying biting insects is to stand near my wife. They all go for her and leave me alone, and believe me she's had plenty mosquito bites over the years!

anneoctober
23-Aug-07, 20:54
The little beggers were out in force both yesterday & today. Poor hubby was taking cylinder head off a car and was forced to beat a hasty retreat ( and him from the black lochie up Calder way!) I did make reference to the aforementioned product, but was stopped in my tracks by the "Do I look like a Jessie?" grimace.........:roll:

karia
23-Aug-07, 21:05
Blimey Anne,

Looks like they may have kidnapped your lovely new avatar on their way!;)

There's no telling some folks!:D

Karia

anneoctober
23-Aug-07, 21:13
Blimey Anne,

Looks like they may have kidnapped your lovely new avatar on their way!;)

There's no telling some folks!

Karia
It will happen Karia....promise......... maybe not today..... LOL

neepnipper
23-Aug-07, 21:59
neepnipper,

the army use avon skin so soft to keep them at bay.

hey, you could say its measles and get off work sick!!!!

Tried it, nothing works, I'm just too tasty!

Could try the measles idea, wonder if work would believe me?!!

Fran
24-Aug-07, 02:41
Avon do a skin so soft body lotion which keeps midges away!! It works. Hugo ross and the hospice shop, both wick, are selling it.

neepnipper
24-Aug-07, 07:51
Tried it, doesn't work for me, I'm just a walking banquet for midges!

Mister Squiggle
24-Aug-07, 08:13
What I want to know is, once you are bitten by the blighters, what's the best way to take down the swelling and stop the itch?? My poor little lamb's face looks like strawberry semolina this morning, after being bitten whilst playing outside yesterday (and despite having being sprayed with repellent). The midges seem to just adore her. She's scratching like mad, so perhaps some orgers have advice on what takes the itch away.

Ricco
25-Aug-07, 08:03
What I want to know is, once you are bitten by the blighters, what's the best way to take down the swelling and stop the itch?? My poor little lamb's face looks like strawberry semolina this morning, after being bitten whilst playing outside yesterday (and despite having being sprayed with repellent). The midges seem to just adore her. She's scratching like mad, so perhaps some orgers have advice on what takes the itch away.

Betnovate lotion might work but its only available by prescription. People with excema use it to stop the itching.

bluelady
26-Aug-07, 22:08
they even seem to get in yer clothes and bite. I hear that eating Marmite supposed to repel them as they hate it. Avon SSS Spray works, I believe e Pipe bands use it too, it works for me. When i dont use it i get bit, the thing is you dont fel e bite then, but next day is agony and in bed at nite is dreadful.

Rheghead
26-Aug-07, 23:35
My way of avoiding midges are

1. Try to brush one's teeth and gargle immediately before going where there are midges, it is the bacteria on the teeth that produces the smell that they like.

2. Wear bright clothing, they don't like too much light.

3. Eat plenty of garlic

4. Light a garden rubbish fire

5. Do gardening when the wind gets uip

6. Wear midge net

7. Get a midgeater

:Razz

Metalattakk
27-Aug-07, 00:27
My way of avoiding midges are

1. Try to brush one's teeth and gargle immediately before going where there are midges, it is the bacteria on the teeth that produces the smell that they like.

Sorry, it's the COČ that you exhale that attracts them. Simply stop breathing out and you'll be fine. :D

Rheghead
27-Aug-07, 00:30
Sorry, it's the COČ that you exhale that attracts them. Simply stop breathing out and you'll be fine. :D

No, it is the octanol (produced by oral bacteria) in conjunction with CO2 that is so attractive to the midge.:D

Metalattakk
27-Aug-07, 00:42
So the cessation of exhalation is the only sure-fire method of keeping them at bay then, surely?

;)

WeeBurd
27-Aug-07, 09:10

Mothercare do insect repellent bands (http://www.mothercare.com/gp/product/B000NN8EZC/sr=1-2/qid=1188201983/ref=sr_1_2/026-5863890-3162846?ie=UTF8&mcb=core), which the little 'uns can wear on their wrist, they smell nice and work a treat for preveting bites. Unfortunately, I've yet to find something that will soothe the nasty reactions that WeeBurdie suffers when she does go out without her band on, <ouch>:confused.

Andrew C
28-Aug-07, 00:15
I live next to the river, so you can imagine the fun we have! I certainly didn't miss them in my 4 years south of the border! Still, where would we be without them, the guid auld midge? [lol]

Rheghead
28-Aug-07, 11:57

Try calamine lotion, I remember being daubed in it as a kiddie.

Mister Squiggle
28-Aug-07, 13:54
Thanks Rheghead, I have duly purchased some and will be dabbing it all over her tonight, as she is still scratching. They were thick in the air this morning outside her school and I could see all the kids swatting like mad. I was attacked this morning whilst hanging out washing, so I will also be slathering calamine all over my arms and face - all in all, we should make a lovely family photo.
Cheers :D

George Brims
28-Aug-07, 20:11
The US version of calamine lotion includes an anti-histamine as well as calamine (which serves no purpose other than being pink as far as I can see). We went through years of itching when we moved to Hawaii in the 80s as I remembered calamine from my childhood as a useless remedy. Then when we did buy the stuff we discovered it actually helped a lot.