PDA

View Full Version : Ann Widdecombe Versus Benefits culture

Anne x
22-Aug-07, 22:57
Did anyone see this programme tonight this is what the country needs !!! more like Ann

that man with 18 children and no job was shocking

but fair play to the girls from Liverpool who took up the job with the future and good luck to them

golach
22-Aug-07, 23:12
Did anyone see this programme tonight this is what the country needs !!! more like Ann

that man with 18 children and no job was shocking

but fair play to the girls from Liverpool who took up the job with the future and good luck to them
got till agree with you Anne, I loath Benefit cheats

Tristan
22-Aug-07, 23:12
I saw the ads and meant to watch it but but missed it.
Can not stand people who scrounge off the state!
Benefits are there for those who need them, not for those who want to do nothing or raise a bunch of kids and not bother to work![evil]

Rheghead
22-Aug-07, 23:53
I saw the ads and meant to watch it but but missed it.
Can not stand people who scrounge off the state!
Benefits are there for those who need them, not for those who want to do nothing or raise a bunch of kids and not bother to work![evil]

A modicum of understanding and care is required on your part.

Anne x
23-Aug-07, 00:27
Give him his due he didnt say he was claiming benefits !!!!

But his wives and lovers were a fortune !!! Family allowance alone paid for flat screen TV Sports car Etc etc ann got him a job over the average wage did he keep it I think not

makes my blood boil bring back Ann

Tristan
23-Aug-07, 06:47
A modicum of understanding and care is required on your part.

For whom have I not shown "a modicum of understanding and care" that you feel I am required to?

Rheghead
23-Aug-07, 09:26
For whom have I not shown "a modicum of understanding and care" that you feel I am required to?

That fact remains that, at any time of judgement, you don't know who is scrounging or who actually is needing the benefits.

golach
23-Aug-07, 09:32
That fact remains that, at any time of judgment, you don't know who is sponging or who actually needs the benefits.
Rheg like Tristan I have no problem with people on benefit, I hope they are claiming all they are entitled to, its the blatant benefit cheats I detest, the ones claiming benefit and working on the side and laughing at us suckers, I have no compulsion on shopping them.
And Ann Widdicombe is a woman I admire and look up to IMO a politician I respect, one of the few.

Tristan
23-Aug-07, 09:46
That fact remains that, at any time of judgement, you don't know who is scrounging or who actually is needing the benefits.

You're right I am not in a position to know who is and who isn't and I never claimed too. However, if I knew or suspected someone was cheating the system I would report them through the appropriate channels (as I hope anyone else would). There is a limited supply of money out there and I want to know that those who need it are getting it.

mccaugm
23-Aug-07, 09:59
Ann Widdecombe...she is one cool chickie....make her prime minister, at least things would get done. She knows her stuff and is not afraid to say what she thinks. The woman is pure class. The bloke she spoke to was IMO an lazy numpty who should learn the meaning of contraception or keep it in his pants. The other girls just need a gentle push and thats what Ann did to great effect.

squidge
23-Aug-07, 10:15
You know the "gentle push" that Anne Widdecombe did gets done day after day hour after hour all over the UK when people who have struggled to find work do so with the help from a variety of civil servants who dont get paid television amounts of money to do so. :roll:. She had researchers and TV people and the like and so it actually isnt THAT impressive if you ask me

Penelope Pitstop
23-Aug-07, 10:17
I saw about the last half of the programme. I say good on you Ann - we need more like you in parliament ..... not afraid to speak up and say what they think and believe in.

The guy with the troops of kids who was living on benefit was an absolute disgrace ....I'm sure all the genuine people on benefit out there (are there are many genuine cases) would also be disgusted....what an example to set his children. It is this type of "person" that gives the benefit system a bad name. IMO the American system sounds interesting where if you claim benefits you must give something back to society/community....I believe they don't get away with doing nothing for their money??

Solus
23-Aug-07, 11:35
Fair enough he does not claim benefits, but with over £700 a week coming in and if i heard right he used to breed dogs ? so more income. He showed his true colours when offered a job above min wage, never turned up claiming his sore wrist/ hand was playing up !!! aye right mister !!!

Penelope Pitstop
23-Aug-07, 12:50
Fair enough he does not claim benefits, but with over £700 a week coming in and if i heard right he used to breed dogs ? so more income. He showed his true colours when offered a job above min wage, never turned up claiming his sore wrist/ hand was playing up !!! aye right mister !!!

Seeing how he didn't go back to work (....in fact just didn't turn up and didn't bother to contact his employer again) shouldn't he be docked some benefits?? How would he have survived and supported his family 50 odd years ago I wonder!!

j4bberw0ck
23-Aug-07, 13:24

Whoa - wait one. I didn't see the program in question but if he has 18 children, he'll (or rather, the mother(s?) of the children) will get £223.80 a week (£11637 a year) in Child Benefit alone. No choice by the State - that's the law.

Then he'll get a variety of allowances - no choice, that's the law.

If he's offered a job at minimum wage, that's about £205 a week (assuming 37.5 hr). Let's make it £300 a week (£15600 a year) as you did say above minimum wage. He may very well then lose some of his allowances and tax credits, and incur travel expenses to get to / from work. And possibly child care costs too. He'll lose 11% of his earned income to National Insurance and pay tax on somewhere about £9000 at the full basic rate (because Gordon Moonbat Brown removed the concessionary rate of tax - I hope you've all remembered that, and are waiting for it to bite next April when it comes into effect).

So, given that I didn't see the program, given that I agree that anyone producing anything like 18 children is in this day and age irresponsible and certainly wouldn't be doing it unless the rest of us were paying, given that I agree he should have kept it in his pants - given all those things, why would he give up largely untaxed income for a smaller taxed income?

The lowest paid in the UK have by far the highest marginal tax burden to pay (and it isn't about higher-band tax, or fatcats or any of that garbage - it's about the State's obsession with "allowances"). Would you, in his circumstances, kiss goodbye to a couple of hundred pounds a week?

Anne x
23-Aug-07, 13:46
The job he got was higher than the min wage they even worked out how much better of he was by working !!! Nah he didna want to do that (work) whats that !!! of course lest we forget he had a sore hand !!!

Of course lest we forget he bred a couple of dogs and got income from that !!!!![lol]

another thing nobody seems to of mentioned the caravan he lived in (parked in the garden )occupying it himself with one or other of the mother of his 18 children the kids and another partner sharing the 3 bed house [disgust]

Penelope Pitstop
23-Aug-07, 14:11
.............I'm at work slogging my guts outs, week in, week out, being crippled by taxes ............I think I'll just give up work, have another 16 kids and suit myself how I pass the day............ can't wait till I tell my other half tonight.....he'll be chuffed ......[lol]

Here everyone .....why don't we all do that !!

golach
23-Aug-07, 14:12
You know the "gentle push" that Anne Widdecombe did gets done day after day hour after hour all over the UK when people who have struggled to find work do so with the help from a variety of civil servants who dont get paid television amounts of money to do so. :roll:. She had researchers and TV people and the like and so it actually isnt THAT impressive if you ask me
Fully agree with you Squidge, I am taking nothing away from our hard done by Civil Servants ( was one myself for 33 years), but a well known figure such as Ann Widdicombe and the TV can bring the every day problems the afore mentioned Civil Servants suffer to the attention of Joe Public, who IMO cares not a toss most of the time.

Liz
23-Aug-07, 14:27
I haven't seen the programme yet but have recorded it.
People like this make me mad as they give everyone on benefits a bad name.

I have always admired Anne Widdecombe. She is a tough old bird!
Would make a great Prime Minister!!!:lol:

By the way in the closing titles of the programme it said the he now had a job!

Penelope Pitstop
23-Aug-07, 14:47
I haven't seen the programme yet but have recorded it.
People like this make me mad as they give everyone on benefits a bad name.

I have always admired Anne Widdecombe. She is a tough old bird!
Would make a great Prime Minister!!!:lol:

By the way in the closing titles of the programme it said the he now had a job!

I seen the closing titles, but I didn't think it was him that had the job it was someone else featured in the programme.....that was my interpretation????

Liz
23-Aug-07, 15:00
I seen the closing titles, but I didn't think it was him that had the job it was someone else featured in the programme.....that was my interpretation????

Oops sorry! Didn't realise there was anyone else featured on the programme.

Anne x
24-Aug-07, 00:54
I agree think it was the couple in the pub on loadsa benefits

paris
24-Aug-07, 06:57
Anne Widdicombe comes from Maidstone in Kent, the same town as me. We used to see her walking to work and she would always say hello. With out the TV crews about believe me shes just the same. Well done Anne. ! Jan x

Alice in Blunderland
24-Aug-07, 07:54
He showed his true colours when offered a job above min wage, never turned up claiming his sore wrist/ hand was playing up !!! aye right mister !!!

Of course he has a sore hand / wrist he is putting it out every week and getting a heay sum of money set into it, that would give anyone a sore hand after all these years. Repetetive strain injury I think thats called......... ;) my advice would be to change the habit and take the strain of his wrist but I dont think he will try that.

The government has created a system which is easy to abuse and there are plenty of people out there who will happily abuse it. It is good that we do have this safety net for those who find themselves in the position of having to rely on it but when the safey net becomes a comfort blanket then thats where I find it wrong. :D

Bobinovich
24-Aug-07, 09:19
Repetetive strain injury I think thats called...

I'm surprised he's not taking them to court over it then :lol:

The government has created a system which is easy to abuse and there are plenty of people out there who will happily abuse it. It is good that we do have this safety net for those who find themselves in the position of having to rely on it but when the safey net becomes a comfort blanket then thats where I find it wrong. :D

Couldn't have put it better myself

ecb
24-Aug-07, 13:00
The Government could cut abuse like this, by changing the benefit system so that in future, that if someone on benefits did something that currently would lead to their benefits increasing (such as having another child), that they wouldn't receive extra benefits.

johno
24-Aug-07, 15:40
Benefit cheating is something that aught to be sorted out. but to put Anne Widdecombe on a pedestal for starring in this programme, well isnt it just ,like a job that she is doing , isnt she getting paid, and very well paid for this & would the programme not have been laid out then the makers would look for a suitable person to front it. Jack Straw was the o.a.p..s voice till he got his foot in parlaiment, Once there he climbed the political ladder & the very people that elected him into office were soon forgotten about as with most members of parlaiment. To tell you truth i would,nt trust any of them as far as i could throw them. [disgust]

Torvaig
24-Aug-07, 16:09
.............I'm at work slogging my guts outs, week in, week out, being crippled by taxes ............I think I'll just give up work, have another 16 kids and suit myself how I pass the day............ can't wait till I tell my other half tonight.....he'll be chuffed ......

Here everyone .....why don't we all do that !!

With 16 kids how could you suit yourself how you pass the day.....:eek: I think I would rather the peace of working in a nice quiet office! :lol: