PDA

View Full Version : Nfl Star Facing Jail And Career Meltdown

scorrie
22-Aug-07, 14:51
I know that the name might not mean much to some people but Michael Vick is the Quarterback with the Atlanta Falcons and one of the NFL's biggest stars. He was contracted in 2004 to a 10 year deal for $130 Million. Well, that is all up in the air now, as he has been charged for his part in a Dogfighting Ring. Predictions are that he will serve perhaps 12 to 18 months in prison and speculation is rife as to whether he will ever play in the NFL again. Sponsors are already dropping him like a hot potato but opinions seem to be divided on whether he should be allowed to continue in football after he has served his sentence.

I was astonished to read that some of the dogfights he was alleged to have been involved in carried a prize of up to $26,000 for the owner of the winning dog!! Owners and spectators were also allowed to place bets on the outcome of the fight. It is said that underperforming dogs are tortured or executed via hanging, electrocution or by being shot and it is alleged that Vick was involved in this practice. In my mind this case opens up a huge can of worms about the society we live in. How can a leading figure in sport become involved in such unspeakable practices in a supposedly civilised country?

The NFL was already becoming a hotbed of scandal with various players on charges of rape, domestic violence, gun running etc and I wonder what hope there is for those living in poverty, when the guys who are earning millions are behaving worse than the animals they are abusing. I hope he never plays again.

johno
22-Aug-07, 16:59
i agree with you he is more of an animal than the poor dogs that he was abusing. he deserves all thats coming to him. [disgust]

George Brims
22-Aug-07, 17:23
It was reported yesterday that Vick has agreed to plead guilty, probably in hope of a slightly reduced sentence. All the other defendants in the case had already plead guilty and agreed to testify against him. It is likely he will spend a significant number of years in jail. The charges were in Federal court as some of the dogs were transported across state lines to the illegal fights, so he will spend his time in a Federal jail.

anneoctober
22-Aug-07, 17:33
Untouchable - that's what these people think they are. when you "earn" a salary that realistically , is in fantasy world for the majority of us, some people think it's their God given right to behave how they please. They don't care about other people, even their own families when they fall in with the arrogant, sick individuals that dream up this "sport". If this is what fame and fortune can spawn, you can keep it. :mad:

anneoctober
22-Aug-07, 17:35
It was reported yesterday that Vick has agreed to plead guilty, probably in hope of a slightly reduced sentence. All the other defendants in the case had already plead guilty and agreed to testify against him. It is likely he will spend a significant number of years in jail. The charges were in Federal court as some of the dogs were transported across state lines to the illegal fights, so he will spend his time in a Federal jail.
Excuse my ignorance George, but what will this actually involve for this guy? I've no knowledge of States law.

Jeemag_USA
22-Aug-07, 18:53
yeah I have been following, personally I have no respect for him, the reason he is pleading guilty is to avoid anyone else's testimony so the public don't get to hear everything that really happened, like extermination of dogs by hanging and throat cutting because they were no good for fighting. Doubt very much if he will play for Atlanta or any other team now, he will have enough money to see himself through, but if Atlanta can break his contract under gross misconduct he may have to pay a lot of his contract earnings back and may end up penniless.

Its a much bigger issue than that that has been highlighted though, dog fighting is becoming more and popular throughout america because guys aren't just content with the status of walking around trying to look tough with a fighting dog, so they are now turning to breeding and fighting them, sometimes there is no money in it at all, its just status.

Its disgusting!!

Margaret M.
22-Aug-07, 18:58
Scum like Vick make me sick. There are no words that I can print that will convey how I feel about this vile excuse for a human being. A punk with money to do whatever he wanted to in this world and he chose to finance and actively participate in a dogfighting ring. The details of what they did to these dogs, particularly those that would not fight or did not win, are horrendous. I will never understand how anyone can be entertained by this -- yet sadly, it goes on all over this world.

The only good thing to come out of this, apart from that punk going to jail, is the attention that has been focused on such a horrific activity. Hopefully law enforcement has gained knowledge and will be better equipped to deal with dogfighting. My wish for Vick is that Big Old Bubba, a dog lover, finds him in jail and has his way with this evil scum.

JAWS
22-Aug-07, 19:12
Who is he, I've never even heard of him before this. I gather that he plays American Football but so do thousands of others.

Yes, engaging in dog fighting is totally unacceptable but what makes him any different to any of the others involved?

Margaret M.
22-Aug-07, 19:30
what makes him any different to any of the others involved?

He's no better, no worse, probably a lot richer but it matters not -- they're all evil scum who totally lack compassion.

Tristan
22-Aug-07, 19:41
He deserves what he gets but it is odd in a way, fight with dogs - conviction. Murder your wife, walk free in criminal court, convicted in civil court and play golf for the rest of your days.

Jeemag_USA
22-Aug-07, 20:19
Yes, engaging in dog fighting is totally unacceptable but what makes him any different to any of the others involved?

Nothing different about him, he is just high profile, doesn't need any money, I guess its a big thing here because NFL players are set a strict code of conduct by their clubs, they are expected to be pillars of the community so when it happens its always a bigger story.

Michael Vick is a quarterback for the Atlanta Falcons, he is the guy who makes the passes when the ball is hiked to him on a down.

http://artfiles.art.com/images/-/Michael-Vick-Photograph-C11814907.jpeg

anneoctober
22-Aug-07, 21:10
Jeemag, maybe you can help. In a previous post George brims mentioned that this guy could be sent to "federal" jail, what does that mean in terms of his punishment & conditions?

George Brims
22-Aug-07, 21:12
Excuse my ignorance George, but what will this actually involve for this guy? I've no knowledge of States law.
I've been looking at assorted news sites on this. Apparently if he had been found guilty at trial he would have faced anything up to 14 years in jail, but having decided to admit to it they expect him to get 18 to 36 months, maybe less. It's all speculation of course since his lawyers are negotiating with the prosecutors, and then a judge has to approve whatever deal is reached. Any time at all in Federal prison is no picnic, but I would be happier to see him get a long sentence.

anneoctober
22-Aug-07, 21:18
I've been looking at assorted news sites on this. Apparently if he had been found guilty at trial he would have faced anything up to 14 years in jail, but having decided to admit to it they expect him to get 18 to 36 months, maybe less. It's all speculation of course since his lawyers are negotiating with the prosecutors, and then a judge has to approve whatever deal is reached. Any time at all in Federal prison is no picnic, but I would be happier to see him get a long sentence.
Thank you George for that explanation. What would have happened do you suppose if this guy was not famous and just an ordinary american?

George Brims
22-Aug-07, 21:23
To clarify the definition of "Federal" that means Vic was prosecuted by the US government rather that the state or county where the offenses occurred. This is because the operation he was running spanned several states, people bringing dogs to Vick's house from other states to be used in the dog fighting. In general if the US government prosecutes you for an offense that supersedes the power of the local authorities.

Conditions and style of federal prisons vary. Notable examples of traditional prisons are Alcatraz (now closed), Leavenworth in Kansas, or Marion, Illinois. There are also lower security places (work camp style) but they tend to be in horrible locations in terms of climate, so they aren't exactly a lot of fun either. The best thing to know about any of them is that you're not going there!

Vick will face a particular problem there in that he is a "personality" and so will attract a lot of the wrong kind of attention from those out to prove what a hard man they are, or the white supremacist gangs (Aryan Nation) who will want to harm him for being a well-known black man.

George Brims
22-Aug-07, 21:26
Thank you George for that explanation. What would have happened do you suppose if this guy was not famous and just an ordinary american?
It is interesting to speculate on this. The ASPCA is working a lot with law enforcement these days to clamp down on dog fighting and things of that ilk, so there have been a lot of prosecutions. Vick's fame may have worked against him, making the case more high-profile, but on the other hand he has more money for lawyers than the typical defendant.

scorrie
22-Aug-07, 22:01
Who is he, I've never even heard of him before this. I gather that he plays American Football but so do thousands of others.

I doubt that Michael Vick has heard of you either Jaws.

The fact is that many millions of people in the USA DO know who he is. He is the face on loads of merchandising, including the famous Madden NFL Computer games franchise. Kids with Playstations and X Boxes will have purchased a game with Vick's face on the box. They will pretend to be him when playing and he will have become a figure of inspiration for some. If we were to imagine this story breaking in the UK with Beckham in his heyday, then it is not at all hard to imagine where that would different from Johnnie Scumbag being convicted for the same crime.

JAWS
23-Aug-07, 02:22
Nothing different about him, he is just high profile, doesn't need any money, I guess its a big thing here because NFL players are set a strict code of conduct by their clubs, they are expected to be pillars of the community so when it happens its always a bigger story.

Michael Vick is a quarterback for the Atlanta Falcons, he is the guy who makes the passes when the ball is hiked to him on a down.All is explained and if the NFL have the policy you describe then I admire them for it. It might be a good idea if other high profile organisations took the same attitude with people who are very much in the public eye.

I don't watch much sport these days and, despite being English, couldn't even tell you who was in the England Football or Cricket Teams. I will however admit to having heard of somebody called Beckham, even in Scotland it is very difficult to avoid hearing about him. I am also at the stage now where things like X-boxes and Playstations fall into the same category as flying jet planes, totally beyond me. That means I have not even come across him in relation to those either.
Now I know that Vick can be described as a role model for youngsters I now have a better understanding of the concern. His behaviour is not something I would like to see anybody emulate let alone children.

Scorrie, as you say, I also very much doubt if Vick has heard of me and even if he had I would find it of little consequence.

oldmarine
23-Aug-07, 03:46
Michael Vick pleaded guilty. That certainly will affect his future in American professional football. After serving his time I doubt any team will want him. Not just dog lovers but the majority of the professional football fans. I understand he actually killed dogs that did not win. I personally believe he deserves everything he loses for these actions.

Margaret M.
23-Aug-07, 13:16
I understand he actually killed dogs that did not win. I personally believe he deserves everything he loses for these actions.

Absolutely -- the dogs were not dispatched from this world humanely, they were electrocuted, hanged, drowned, or thrown down to the ground, all in the name of entertainment. Disgusting creatures -- the Vicks of the world, not the dogs.

cullbucket
25-Aug-07, 23:30
I was chatting with some guys I work with from louisiana, they said that dog fighting is a long standing (illegal) tradition there, the mayor and police chief would be in the front row and even these days, they have one once every 2 weeks. The first one he went to was when he was 5 years old and his grandpa took him there.... His view is that Michael Vick is being persecuted because of his position....

anneoctober
25-Aug-07, 23:37
This is a "tradition" we can do without. :mad:

Aaldtimer
26-Aug-07, 01:22
http://cnn.com/2007/US/law/08/24/michael.vick/index.html?iref=newssearch

This man and his cohorts deserve everything, and more, that is coming to them.
It beggars belief that in some States in the US that dog fighting is legal!

scorrie
26-Aug-07, 12:04
Apparently there was a rally, attended by about 200, in SUPPORT of Michael Vick. I think it was organised by his family.

A New York Knicks basketball player gave support to Vick, claiming that Dog-Fighting was a SPORT that simply went on behind closed doors.

Meanwhile 50 or so dogs confiscated at Vicks property will be put down, as, unsurprisingly, they have not been claimed.

There is a Panorama program coming up on Dog-Fighting in the UK. I would imagine it would make pretty tough watching but I wonder how widespread it is in the UK?

Margaret M.
26-Aug-07, 15:42
It beggars belief that in some States in the US that dog fighting is legal!

Dog fighting is illegal in all of the U.S. -- all 50 states.

anneoctober
26-Aug-07, 15:59
Apparently there was a rally, attended by about 200, in SUPPORT of Michael Vick. I think it was organised by his family.

A New York Knicks basketball player gave support to Vick, claiming that Dog-Fighting was a SPORT that simply went on behind closed doors.

Meanwhile 50 or so dogs confiscated at Vicks property will be put down, as, unsurprisingly, they have not been claimed.

There is a Panorama program coming up on Dog-Fighting in the UK. I would imagine it would make pretty tough watching but I wonder how widespread it is in the UK?
I find it difficult enough watching "animal cops" on tv. I also realise that if your are to change behaviour (of men in this case) and laws, it's a necessary evil. Let us know when Panorama are airing this programme please Scorrie. I'm a softy really but I can't help but wonder at the outcry if an eye for an eye were applied here to Mr Vicks & his cronies. If they think it's no big deal to toture dogs etc , why give testimony against their friend?[disgust]

scorrie
26-Aug-07, 18:06
I find it difficult enough watching "animal cops" on tv. I also realise that if your are to change behaviour (of men in this case) and laws, it's a necessary evil. Let us know when Panorama are airing this programme please Scorrie. I'm a softy really but I can't help but wonder at the outcry if an eye for an eye were applied here to Mr Vicks & his cronies. If they think it's no big deal to toture dogs etc , why give testimony against their friend?[disgust]

I think it is on Thursday the 30th of August, 9pm BBC1

Margaret M.
26-Aug-07, 19:57
I was chatting with some guys I work with from louisiana, they said that dog fighting is a long standing (illegal) tradition there, the mayor and police chief would be in the front row and even these days, they have one once every 2 weeks. The first one he went to was when he was 5 years old and his grandpa took him there.... His view is that Michael Vick is being persecuted because of his position....

How sweet of the old codger, exposing a 5 year old to such violence! I hope your co-worker can find it in his heart to do the decent thing on behalf of those without a voice and share the sordid details with the Feds. Fat chance, I'm sure.

scorrie
26-Aug-07, 22:28
His view is that Michael Vick is being persecuted because of his position....

I have even heard it said that Michael Vick is being persecuted simply because he is black. I don't think that is the case at all. He has always been regarded as not fulfilling his potential in the NFL due to his inability to be a team player. He never accepted blame when the team played badly. Despite his own performance in a particular game being poor, blame was always foisted on team mates, coaches, the playing system etc etc. Most analysts regard him as an underachiever.

In January of this year Vick tried to board a plane in Miami but was found to be carrying a water bottle which had a hidden compartment built into it. Security staff thought that the compartment had a smell similar to Marijuana but tests carried out did not back this up. The incident still caused great embarrassment for the team and the question about why the bottle had a secret compartment did not go away quickly. Dubbed "Bottlegate" the incident spawned comedy sketches and much mickey taking. I have seen a doctored image of a Flash cleaning liquid bottle that had been altered to have a pattern of cannabis leaves on the floor tiles and a logo that read "Extra Strong Hash"

I suspect that, quite rightly, Vick will not bounce back from this one nor will the mood be so jokey!!

JAWS
26-Aug-07, 22:42
How many other prosecutions have there been of others involved in Dog Fighting?

scorrie
27-Aug-07, 20:06
How many other prosecutions have there been of others involved in Dog Fighting?

I have read mixed reports regarding this. Some people seem to be saying that prosecutions are rare while others mention thousands of prosecutions per year. The past few years have seen a change in attitude by the authorities and they are trying to crack down on Dog Fighting. The trouble is that all it takes is a couple of dogs, and the fight can be over in just a few minutes. This makes it difficult to catch people in the act and the practice continues to grow, despite the tougher stance.

In Vick's case there were more than 50 dogs confiscated, so it is much more clear cut. His celebrity status will bring more coverage and, with it, greater condemnation. I am sure that the furore would have been the same if Vick had been white.

scorrie
12-Dec-07, 16:49
Just an update on this. Vick was sentenced to 23 months in prison. It effectively rules him out of football for two years. I watched his former team (Atlanta) play on Monday and was a bit sickened by fans who were wearing "Keep your head high Michael" clothing. He should be hanging his head in shame!!
The team owner guested on the TV broadcast and wittered on about redemption and the possibility of welcoming Vick back after he has done his sentence. The time for redemption should be AFTER he has served his punishment and has truly mended his ways. One of his team mates was wearing a "Free Michael Vick" T-shirt under his uniform and there seems to be a general "Picked on because he was Black" mentality in the air. Anyways, the team stank and I hope they continue to stink. Go Jaguars!!

George Brims
12-Dec-07, 18:56
Anyone who thinks the NFL won't let Vick back as a player is living in cloud cuckooo land. It's all about the dollars. Now if he doesn't keep himself in good physical condition, or gets injured in some way, or gets in more trouble, that's a different story. Here's one US sports writer's take on it (requires you watch a brief advert before you get in).

http://www.salon.com/sports/col/kaufman/2007/12/11/tuesday/

Joefitz
13-Dec-07, 13:14
He gets 23 months in Federal Prison, as opposed to County Jail. Federal is a little tougher, but he'll be out in 12-15 for good behavior! HOWEVER......The State of Virginia still has to file their charges, and that could net him a lot more time!! The NFL has suspended him, and I doubt he will be reinstated, as the hullaballoo was too much. The Atlanta Falcons have filed to get the 7mill signing bonus back, but no word on that yet....

scorrie
13-Dec-07, 18:02
Anyone who thinks the NFL won't let Vick back as a player is living in cloud cuckooo land. It's all about the dollars. Now if he doesn't keep himself in good physical condition, or gets injured in some way, or gets in more trouble, that's a different story. Here's one US sports writer's take on it (requires you watch a brief advert before you get in).

http://www.salon.com/sports/col/kaufman/2007/12/11/tuesday/

Thanks for the link George. Money does talk, and with Vinny Testaverde still starting games for Carolina at the age of 45, it is clear that good quarterbacks can be hard to find. Tank Johnson was banned for 8 games at the start of this season and was released by his team (Chicago), yet he was snapped up by Dallas, so it shows that bad boys will still be offered another chance elsewhere. I read an article about Vick earlier in the year, where he was compared to the star player in a basketball franchise. It leads to the scenario where the team is moulded around the player, rather than making the player work to fit into the team. This comes about because of the high salary commitment to the star and the fact that the star makes the merchandise sell in big numbers. The problem Atlanta have had this season is that none of their three quarterbacks have stepped up and made the team successful. If they had, I think fans would have seen that the club can go places without Vick. As it is, there seems to be a good case for believing that they would be better off if Vick were still playing. If Atlanta can go on to success over the next couple of years, then Vick may be forgotten to some extent. However, things just got worse for them this week when their head coach walked out on them in controversial circumstances and signed for a college team.