PDA

View Full Version : first song that really 'got you'...

helenwyler
22-Aug-07, 12:57
What's the first pop song/classical music that really hit home to you...got you 'right there'?

Mine are...

Pop: Without You by Nilsson....I was 17, going off to Germany for a month au pairing, and this came out about the same time I had to say goodbye to the then boyfriend....:~(

Classical: From the New World by Dvorjak...about the same age....seemed like I was off to a new world too, wanting to be independent, and the prospect of uni ahead....:Razz

karia
22-Aug-07, 13:03
Hi Helen,

Without a doubt 'What becomes of the broken hearted' by Jimmy Ruffin which accompanied a (very!) junior heartbreak and can still take me right back there.:~(;)

Karia

brandy
22-Aug-07, 13:45
bryan adams everything i do i do for you
and bette middler The Rose

trix
22-Aug-07, 14:01
mine is e dark side o e moon by pink floyd. i just love til hear it on e radio, it wis e first album that i ever bot. its one o ma most played albums even til iss day!!

Anne x
22-Aug-07, 14:05
Bridge over troubled Water -Simon & Garfunkel :lol:
or any thing by the Bee Gees :lol:

Lolabelle
22-Aug-07, 14:10
Dolly Parton singing "Every thing's beautiful in it's own way"
&
Crystal Gayle singing "River Road"
I also love "The Four Seasons" in classical music.
Then there is the belly dancing music that we use, I like most of those. Especially the boppy ones.

But I was raised listening and learning about country music, so I can't remember many that stood out particularily, I love all of it. Friday nights were our music appreciation nights. Dad would buy a new album every week and we would all have to listen to it, and then talk about what we thought the songs meant. Who wrote them and who else recorded them.... :eek:

peter macdonald
22-Aug-07, 14:23
First one was Jussi Bjorling singing Au pont au Temple Saint with Robert Merrill nowadays Anna Netrebko singing "Song to the Moon" or just about anything else she sings

PM

helenwyler
22-Aug-07, 14:30
Hello Peter

I'm right with you on loving Jussi Bjorling (silver in the voice). Didn't discover him till I met OH, whose father was a 78" record collector/dealer and had an incredible selection of early opera, jazz and blues.

MISS K
22-Aug-07, 14:31
bryan adams everything i do i do for you
and bette middler The Rose
OOh yes bette middler, god that makes me well up just thinking about it:lol: and i also have to sadly admit Whitney Houston belting out on the film The bodyguard, ooh takes me back ;)

Blazing Sporrans
22-Aug-07, 16:56
In school I absolutely loved 'Olivers Army' by Elvis Costello and the Attractions - played the single to death. For more classical music, I was captivated the first time I heard 'Danse Macabre' by Saint Saens and lastly, for the old romantic in me, 'Amazed' by Lonestar says everything that I never could about how I feel about Mrs BS....

brandy
22-Aug-07, 17:21
two of the first songs i ever heard.. that really left a memory on me.. and this was very very young like 5ish.. was Puppy Love and lady in red.
also hot blooded (cause my teen cousins loved it and heard it loads!)

Margaret M.
22-Aug-07, 19:24
Crying by Roy Orbison -- loved the remake with the addition of K. D. Lang too.

Wellies
22-Aug-07, 19:56
Mike and The Mechanics - The Living Years

futurelegends
22-Aug-07, 20:32
Sittin' on the Dock of the Bay - Otis Redding.

Can't get enough of that song - Brilliant.

footie chick
22-Aug-07, 20:52
Tears in heaven Eric Clapton

Thumper
22-Aug-07, 20:56
Wonderful tonight-Eric Clapton, All out of Love by Air Supply

TRUCKER
22-Aug-07, 20:57
Classic By Adrian Gurvitz

Thumper
22-Aug-07, 20:59
Oooh Trucker I loved that song too :D x

horseman
22-Aug-07, 21:08
My dad singing the yellow rose of texas as a lullaby, an dad was never a singer:)but the fact it is up there for me says it all:Razz
cheers dad.

Chligh
22-Aug-07, 21:22
How about Band of Gold?

helenwyler
22-Aug-07, 21:33
My dad singing the yellow rose of texas as a lullaby, an dad was never a singerbut the fact it is up there for me says it all:Razz
cheers dad.

What a precious memory horseman...

I don't recall Mum or Dad singing to me, but my grandad used to put me on his knee and sing 'Give me Five Minutes More' and 'You are My Sunshine'...... he died when I was eight...but everytime I hear or think of those songs, it makes me feel loved:)!!

karia
22-Aug-07, 21:41
How about Band of Gold?

Ah Chigh,

Band of Gold by Freda Payne!

Wonderful stuff...and if you check her out on wikipedia etc..a very interesting lady.;)

Why are Patsy Cline, Dusty Springfield and....MOST IMPORTANTLY....Carly Simon, not making an impact on this thread??:roll:

Karia

pat
22-Aug-07, 21:53
Louis Armstrong - Wonderful World.

neepnipper
22-Aug-07, 21:54
Has to 'Relax' by FGTH, I was 16 and thought 'wow' all the adults are in a right state over this song, even worse when they saw the video! Then radio one banned it and whoosh, straight to number one!

Also 'Smalltown Boy' by Bronski Beat, mum extremely shocked that such 'hard' looking lads were gay!

Oh, and 'She Sells Sanctuary' by the Cult, played that over and over.

Theme from Lloyd George for classical, also bought that at age 16, wide taste in music!!

golach
22-Aug-07, 22:10
Not one song, but the music of one film, changed my life and the lives of a lot of teenagers in 1956, Bill Hayley's Rock around the Clock, we were dancing in the aisles, the usherettes could not handle it....fond memories :)

Anne x
23-Aug-07, 00:49
Not one song, but the music of one film, changed my life and the lives of a lot of teenagers in 1956, Bill Hayley's Rock around the Clock, we were dancing in the aisles, the usherettes could not handle it....fond memories :)

changed everything pop as we know it

floyed
23-Aug-07, 16:27
mine is e dark side o e moon by pink floyd. i just love til hear it on e radio, it wis e first album that i ever bot. its one o ma most played albums even til iss day!!

funnily enough trix i am a Pink Floyd fan too. About 10 years ago a gud pal o mine took me to buy ma first album, Division bell its no ma favorite Pink Floyd album but brings back loads o memory's. Wearing The Inside Out is my favorite song on the album!!

trix
23-Aug-07, 16:37
aw, floyd!! ats one o ma favourite albums too!! yer pal hes got guid taste!! i bet iv got loads in common wi her!! [lol]
did ye enjoy yer lunch aday?? x x

cuddlepop
23-Aug-07, 16:51
There was alwas music on in our house when I was growing up.I
remember a favourite of my mum and dads but cant recall who sang it.
"johnny remember me" it was a 60's singer thats all I know.

Dad use to listen to the charts with me and he could predict what was going to be a hit.

Everything I here now in the charts tends to encourage me to switch off.

How the times have changed.:eek:

floyed
23-Aug-07, 16:57
I bet you do[smirk] And thank you yes i had a lovely lunch, soup was superb:D

trix
23-Aug-07, 17:02
Everything I hear now in the charts tends to encourage me to switch off.

How the times have changed.:eek:

couldnt agree with ye more cuddlepop! sad isnt it? most o e guid guys are in rehab!!
anither o ma faves is romeo an juliet - dire straits
i cold go on for ages listin ma auld faves, no so much from modern music tho.
i think i was born too late as far as music goes...[evil]

peter macdonald
23-Aug-07, 17:20
I'm right with you on loving Jussi Bjorling (silver in the voice).

Aye Helen He was superb
I dont think too many on here will have heard of him ..Mores the pity!!!!!

In a slightly different direction John Coltranes " A love supreme" is amazing
and there was a Jazz pianist in the 60s called Jan Johansson whose Jazz pa Svenska and Jazz pa Ryska are absolute classics

Pop/Rock well there is Jimi Hendrix ...... way out there on his own !!!!
PM

oldmarine
23-Aug-07, 17:43
Bridge over troubled Water -Simon & Garfunkel :lol:
or any thing by the Bee Gees :lol:

Wow! I can identify with this one. It does bring back pleasant memories.

obiron
23-Aug-07, 19:53
was brought up on 60s music by my dad so remember creedence clearwater tunes, first tune i loved when i was young was twist and shout by the beatles and keep on running by the spencer davis group.

Ash
23-Aug-07, 20:50
any patsy cline song, my mum always had them playing so did my grandfather:D

Kenn
23-Aug-07, 22:39
Tchaikovsky'a Piano Concerto No.1..used to love that as a child and still do, along with "The Peer Gynt Suite,"Anitra's Dance."is so beautiful.
I'm with you golach on Bill Hayley, whilst being a little young, my two older sisters used to have their ears to the radio whilst parents had their hands over them!
First pop tune that sticks with me is "Poetry in Motion," and then along came The Who , Eric Byrd and The Animals, Blue Beat with Ez Recco and finally Freddie Mercury and "Queen," now that guy could really sing.
For quieter moments, The Mommas and The Poppas and Paul Simon and Art Garfunkel.
Checks to see if the neighbours are out..time to go have a few rousing crescendos of "The 1812 Overture," and maybe round it off with "The Toreador's Song."
"Roll over Beethoven!"

Anne x
23-Aug-07, 23:20
Old Marine !! you made my heart flutter yeh just love that song you a man of good taste Happy Birhday :lol:

futurelegends
23-Aug-07, 23:37
My first Classical 'Love' was The Planet Suite by Gustav Holst

Pure Bliss.

Wizzbang
24-Aug-07, 00:07
Grocer jack by Keith West. I was quite young at the time and thought it a sad song. Somehow stuck with me all my life...very odd :)

crayola
24-Aug-07, 01:02
'Si, mi chiamano Mimi' from La Bohème (Puccini). I forget who sang it.

Anne x
24-Aug-07, 01:06
Crayola oh forgot bout that what a song brings it all back

jsherris
24-Aug-07, 08:34
For me it was the sig tune from the movie 'Born Free' by Matt Monro...
It was the first movie my Mum ever took me to see at 5 yrs of age.
The fact that Elsa died at the age of 5 from a tickborn disease, broke my heart. :(

The other memorable tune is also from the early days, because Mum would sing along to it while fixing her 'beehive' & donning her panda eyeliner!
That's 'Lady Willpower', Gary Puckett & The Union Gap!
Goodness, how old do I sound!
[lol]

paris
24-Aug-07, 08:46
Sexual healing by Marvin Gaye , that's sooooooo good . jan x

nanoo
24-Aug-07, 12:40
Ohhhh it has to be 'Tell Laura I Love Her' by Ray Petersen in 1960 later that year it was recorded again by Rickie Valance. As these were my tender years i was reduced to tears. Has always stuck with me because of this.:~(

Wish
24-Aug-07, 15:45
Charlie Rich, "The Most Beautiful Girl In The World" Cos my lovely dad used to sing it to me all the time, I well up whenever I hear it, especially as I am so far away from him now:(

horseman
24-Aug-07, 22:29
Tchaikovsky'a Piano Concerto No.1..used to love that as a child and still do, along with "The Peer Gynt Suite,"Anitra's Dance."is so beautiful.
I'm with you golach on Bill Hayley, whilst being a little young, my two older sisters used to have their ears to the radio whilst parents had their hands over them!
First pop tune that sticks with me is "Poetry in Motion," and then along came The Who , Eric Byrd and The Animals, Blue Beat with Ez Recco and finally Freddie Mercury and "Queen," now that guy could really sing.
For quieter moments, The Mommas and The Poppas and Paul Simon and Art Garfunkel.
Checks to see if the neighbours are out..time to go have a few rousing crescendos of "The 1812 Overture," and maybe round it off with "The Toreador's Song."
"Roll over Beethoven!"

lizz-your memory is much better than mine,so thanks for high lighting,lots o fwhat I had forgotten:)

crayola
24-Aug-07, 23:38
Crayola oh forgot bout that what a song brings it all backIt brings it all back to me too but I'd be in trouble if I told you what 'it' was. ;)

Anne x
24-Aug-07, 23:41
It brings it all back to me too but I'd be in trouble if I told you what 'it' was. ;)

snap !!! me 2 :lol: musta worked once !!!!

Foxy
24-Aug-07, 23:54
These three songs bring a lump to my throat when i hear them for 3 very different reasons.
Hello - Lionel Richie
The living years - Mike and the mechanics
Everything i do - Bryan Adams.

htwood
25-Aug-07, 04:21
I was prob just 3 when I heard Cathy's Clown by the Everly Brothers, and I used to wait by the radio for it to be played again.
In my early teens, Good Vibrations by the Beach Boys had a big impact. All the songs that everyone has mentioned are brill too.

johno
25-Aug-07, 10:10
A Whiter shade of pale....Procul Harum...still my favourate song...:D

Lavenderblue2
25-Aug-07, 11:30
I think the earliest song that made an impression on me was Clarence 'Frogman' Henry singing 'You always hurt the one you love'. It was being played over and over again at the side shows at the Riverside Wick in the very early 60's.

By the way Liz - it was Eric Burdon who sang with the Animals - I loved 'Bring it on home to me'.
At that time I had a boyfriend who was the image of Eric B - I thought he was the bees knees but when I look at a picture of Eric Burdon now I wonder what on earth I was thinking about!!:eek:

There are so many songs from the 60's which were great - far to many to list and the thing is they have stood the test of time - do you really think that folk will be singing the rap music of the 200's when they are 60...perhaps they will.:confused

LB

sam
25-Aug-07, 11:48
The one that sticks with me is ......Everybody Hurts by R.E.M

rockchick
25-Aug-07, 16:42
"Moonlight Sonata" by the glorious Ludwig van, especially the second movement, was my first musical love...was thrilled when I learned to play well enough to do it justice.

Also, my dad singing "O Holy Night" for the Christmas Eve service...

anneoctober
25-Aug-07, 22:52
It's no use, I've tried for days to narrow down my choice and I can't, loads of different songs remind me of good times, bad times and people in my life. I guess the only song that really comes into it's own for me, was the one my hubby played for me not long after we first met. "Everlasting Love " by the Love Affair . It's only been 33 years so far - keep your fingers crossed for us ! ;)

footie chick
25-Aug-07, 23:05
Celine Dion - Think Twice
East 17 - Another Day

Katrina and the Waves: Walking on Sunshine {Guaranteed to get me on the dance floor along with many others :L}

Ojibwa
26-Aug-07, 01:58
The world is full of crashing bores. by Morrissey :Razz

from You are the quarry.

The lyrics are so so true.

Boozeburglar
26-Aug-07, 02:24
Gotta be either "Smoke Up The Ganja" or "To Be A Man"...

Loafer
26-Aug-07, 09:56
Imagine by John Lennon. December 1980 I think. Everyone knows that date.....

The Loafer

helenwyler
26-Aug-07, 11:04
Thanks everyone for replying!:D

Many songs etc were a welcome blast from the past, and some I'll have to look out for.

My original two were associated with a particular time in my life. The then boyfriend and I split two years later (aged 19)... thank God.... literally. He went on to become a vicar:eek:!!

When I first met MrW in 1977 different music 'got me'.

Bob Dylan - Hard Rain & Desire albums
Gigli - singing Au Fond du Temple Saint and Mi Par Udir Ancor from Pearfishers

....and we're still listening!

sassylass
26-Aug-07, 17:30
ahh music, our house was full of it. Kenneth MacKellar records, Hawaiian and Tahitian songs, Brazilian samba, Dixieland jazz, polka, duets on the piano, Beatles and Stones and all, and my mother and sisters and I dancing to all of it with dad snapping his fingers [lol] gawd it was fun.

The 1812 Overture brings back memories of the lamps swinging in rhythm, but the song that really tweaks my heart is Leaving On a Jet Plane by John Denver, it reminds me of my first love, he was darling.

j4bberw0ck
26-Aug-07, 20:08
"Paint it Black" - Rolling Stones.

golach
26-Aug-07, 20:17
but the song that really tweaks my heart is Leaving On a Jet Plane by John Denver, it reminds me of my first love, he was darling.
My personal favourite of John Denver, was Annies Song.....you know the reason Sassy:)

sassylass
26-Aug-07, 20:19
My personal favourite of John Denver, was Annies Song.....you know the reason Sassy:)

that's really sweet golach, and please tell her I said "hello"

when I think of it, Annie's Song is probably my favourite John Denver song too, it's just the other has more memories. Did you tell her hello yet?

bluelady
27-Aug-07, 00:33
Unchained Melody, but I love the Robson and Jerome version best.

dunderheed
27-Aug-07, 17:55
was never a member of the labour party , but the red flag gets my heart pumping , of course being a big kilmarnock fan cant let this thread pass without mentioning marie osmands paper roses or rolf harris and his new version of fine day.
i also get goose bumps with kate bushes man with the child in his eyes

Sporran
27-Aug-07, 19:09
What's the first pop song/classical music that really hit home to you...got you 'right there'?

Mine are...

Pop: Without You by Nilsson....I was 17, going off to Germany for a month au pairing, and this came out about the same time I had to say goodbye to the then boyfriend....

Classical: From the New World by Dvorjak...about the same age....seemed like I was off to a new world too, wanting to be independent, and the prospect of uni ahead....

When I was 6, I thought Cliff Richard was the bees knees. He was my first heart throb, in fact! :D I loved his song "The Young Ones" - and "Summer Holiday", that came out not long after. He was in two musical films with the same titles as the songs, and I remember my parents taking me to Thurso Picture House to see them both. :cool:

As for classical music, it was Beethoven's "Moonlight Sonata", when I was in my early teens.

Camel Spider
05-Sep-07, 01:36
The first time I heard "Baba O Riley" by The Who the hairs on my neck just went up. I dont know if any Orgers have heard of Hoobastank but their track "Same Direction" is pure class (written about religion apparently .. :roll:), and their track "The Reason" reminds me of a girl I went out with in the Forces, I was stupid enough to let her get away. I married a complete harpy instead !!, since divorced though !!

Favourite has to be "Bittersweet Symphony" by the Verve .. just brilliant.

Jeemag_USA
05-Sep-07, 01:39
First song that really got me jumpin up and down was "Blockbuster" by Sweet! :Razz

Aaldtimer
05-Sep-07, 03:05
"Needle of Death" by Bert Jansch circa 1967. Says it all, even more appropriate today.