PDA

View Full Version : Fundraising

Liz
21-Aug-07, 17:45
Caithness Cats Protection are having a really hard year fundraising.:D

We organised a Sponsored Walk and only three people took part and these were our own volunteers!
A Collecting Week will have to be cancelled as I cannot get any collectors.

It will come to the point when we will have to restrict the services we offer.
We have spent over £1,000 on kitten food alone this year!

I just wondered whether people only support 'people' charities?

We are extremely grateful to people who have given cats and kittens a home as this, along with neutering, is our main aim but even that has been extremely slow this year and we have cats and kittens in desperate need of homes.

Just wondered why we are not being supported?

blondscot
21-Aug-07, 20:08
Liz
It seems that some people are only interested in the CPL when they are needing a cat/kitten taken in or have a problem with strays. It seems that when it comes to fundraising there is little response as after all it is "only a few cats that we help" !! its a shame that people cannot see exactly what work and effort is put in by the volunteers to help stray and unwanted cats, then maybe they would be more willing to help when possible!!

Liz
21-Aug-07, 22:14
Liz
It seems that some people are only interested in the CPL when they are needing a cat/kitten taken in or have a problem with strays. It seems that when it comes to fundraising there is little response as after all it is "only a few cats that we help" !! its a shame that people cannot see exactly what work and effort is put in by the volunteers to help stray and unwanted cats, then maybe they would be more willing to help when possible!!

Sadly this seems to be true. Don't think people realise just how much of a cat, or rather people, problem there is in Caithness.
This year has been particularly bad for stray cats having kittens and for large numbers of strays and feral colonies.
Also have been lots of people wanting us to rehome cats for various reasons.

We are full to capacity just now and it is more like a full time job rather than volunteering.

We in Cats Protection have taken on the work willingly but would really appreciate more support although, as I said before, we really appreciate people giving homes to cats and kittens in our care as we could not do our work without you!

It's just that it gets very difficult doing the day to day work and also trying to raise funds to enable us to carry on this work.

I would hate to think we may have to close one day but it may come to that if we cannot afford to keep going.:(

botheed
21-Aug-07, 22:19
i dont want to be rude, but u seem to be having the poor mees
i will take a tin round the doors if that would help
lookup and go forward:Razzpm if u wish

Liz
21-Aug-07, 22:44
i dont want to be rude, but u seem to be having the poor mees
i will take a tin round the doors if that would help
lookup and go forwardpm if u wish

Yes will admit I am having the 'poor me' to a certain extent. I had to give up work due to illness and became a volunteer with CP but it has become more like a full time job as we are so short of volunteers.
However, that is not what I am 'complaining' about here.
We are really, really struggling to raise funds and don't know long we will be able to continue if things do not improve.
It is very disheartening when we try to raise funds and it is only our own volunteers who take part!
I fully appreciate that people cannot afford to give to lots of charities but would hope that a local charity would be given priority.

I was also interested to know whether people support people charitys rather than animal charitys although ours do both as we help people to neuter their pet cats and will help people on low incomes with vet's bills.

I did not mean to turn this into a 'pity party' but just wanted to highlight the struggles we are encountering as people may not be aware of just how big the problem is in Caithness with regard stray and feral cats.

Sorry if I appear to be moaning but it has been an extremely stressful week!!!!!:(

Really appreciate your offer to 'take a tin around the doors' but if we don't get any other collectors it will not be worth it thanks.

At the risk of repeating myself (I used to be parrot but I'm alright now, I'm alright now)I want to say again how grateful we are to everyone who has given a cat or kitten a loving home. This makes everything worthwhile!!!!:D

So if you can help give a cat or kitten a home then please pm me.

Thanks!

botheed
21-Aug-07, 22:53
i give to people charitys, mostly the third world work.
i have not yet given to an animal charity, ive never been asked
my offer still stands liz every penny helps take care

Liz
21-Aug-07, 22:55
i give to people charitys, mostly the third world work.
i have not yet given to an animal charity, ive never been asked
my offer still stands liz every penny helps take care

I commend you for giving to charity and if you ever want to give to an animal charity we are more than willing to take your money!:lol:

I will pm you re collecting thanks!

Mr P Cannop
21-Aug-07, 23:12
i am still happy to help out

Liz
21-Aug-07, 23:16
Thanks a lot Paul! Would you be able to do a door to door collection for us during the last week in Sept?

attidude9464
21-Aug-07, 23:35
Hi Liz

Have you ever considered doing a joint fundraising event. Perhaps with another charity such as the Scottish SPCA, who receive no government funding and also rely apon the generosity of the general public. Maybe its worth a thought.

I am sure the SSPCA would welcome a joint venture in the future to the benefit of all of the animals of Caithness.

Cheers

Liz
21-Aug-07, 23:48
Hi Liz

Have you ever considered doing a joint fundraising event. Perhaps with another charity such as the Scottish SPCA, who receive no government funding and also rely apon the generosity of the general public. Maybe its worth a thought.

I am sure the SSPCA would welcome a joint venture in the future to the benefit of all of the animals of Caithness.

Cheers

Good idea!:D

Will have to think of something and have a chat!

Thanks!

Mr P Cannop
22-Aug-07, 10:05
Thanks a lot Paul! Would you be able to do a door to door collection for us during the last week in Sept?

what area/s would you like me to do buty not spring park

Liz
22-Aug-07, 13:11
what area/s would you like me to do buty not spring park

You can collect anywhere you like Paul as we don't have any more collectors in Thurso.
Let's hope you don't get any abuse this year![mad] You didn't deserve that when you were being kind enough to collect for a charity.

Liz
22-Aug-07, 13:42
I apologise if my post came over as a bit 'moany'. It was not my intention to come across as feeling sorry for myself but just to highlight the problems Caithness Cats Protection are encountering.

It has just been such a stressful time as there have been so many strays and kittens this year that we are running out of room. I know the SSPCA are having the same problem.

We all care passionately about the welfare of cats and it is worrying if we cannot raise the funds needed to care for them all.
I was just so disappointed that only one member of the public went on our walk and this caused my wee vent!:confused

We are going to team up with other animal charities in the area to raise funds in the hope that this will benefit us all.

I just want to say thanks again to the people of Caithness who have supported us over the years.
Without the generosity of those who have given donations and those who have given a cat or kitten a forever home we would obviously not be able to carry on.
Knowing that a cat ,which was previously unwanted ,is happy in a loving home makes all the hard work worthwhile!:D

Julia
23-Aug-07, 17:35
What about a having a CPL car boot sale, as it's for charity you may get a hall cheap or even better for free, it's quite a good time of year for these as the weather is not as good.

Collected bric 'a' brac could be sold and of course the profit from the hiring of tables etc.. it would need a bit of organising but you could sell teas at it, have face painting, a raffle etc.. I'd certainly donate what I can and help out whatever fundraiser you decide on having.

Liz
23-Aug-07, 18:22
What about a having a CPL car boot sale, as it's for charity you may get a hall cheap or even better for free, it's quite a good time of year for these as the weather is not as good.

Collected bric 'a' brac could be sold and of course the profit from the hiring of tables etc.. it would need a bit of organising but you could sell teas at it, have face painting, a raffle etc.. I'd certainly donate what I can and help out whatever fundraiser you decide on having.

Thanks Julia! We have actually had stalls at car boot sales and have hardly made anything so not sure about having one of our own.
We also used to have a Prize Bingo but it was extremely difficult to get good prizes and then storage was a problem with everything being stored at my house which was a nightmare!!!!

Georgeson's solicitors have very kindly agreed to have CP as one of their designated charities in their Will Aid scheme (along with another charity) so hope lots of people make their wills when it is our turn!:lol:

Even though only a few people went on our sponsored walk we think we should make about £600 and with our collecting week in Sept we hope to raise quite a bit which go to help all the poor pussy cats in Caithness!!!

Also we are hoping to team up with other animal charities in the area which should ease the workload of organising various events as it is difficult to do this with only a handful of volunteers. What we really need is a fundraising committee.

Thanks for your support!!!

highlander
23-Aug-07, 18:31
Liz if you ever manage to set up a bagpack in one of the thurso stores, i would be more than willing to help out, i have heard they can raise £600 for a days work, even better if you could get it round a public holiday, try to book for xmas im sure the festive spirit would help.

carasmam
23-Aug-07, 18:43
Liz - Let me know when it's CPL's turn at Georgesons, we have to make our wills and would rather do it when it's you guys too !!!:D

Liz
23-Aug-07, 19:14
Liz if you ever manage to set up a bagpack in one of the thurso stores, i would be more than willing to help out, i have heard they can raise £600 for a days work, even better if you could get it round a public holiday, try to book for xmas im sure the festive spirit would help.

Cheers for that! We are going to try for the Co-op in Thurso so will get back to you when I have a date.

How is puss doing?

Liz
23-Aug-07, 19:17
Liz - Let me know when it's CPL's turn at Georgesons, we have to make our wills and would rather do it when it's you guys too !!!:D

I certainly will!
Excuse the pun!!!!:lol: