PDA

View Full Version : EBay Question

changilass
21-Aug-07, 16:54
Have just won an item on ebay, went to pay through paypal option and it has come back saying that the seller does not have a paypal a/c, she want me to send a cheque. As she doesn't have any sellers feedback and only 1 buyers feedback I wouldnt have bid if not for the paypal option.

Is there anything I can do so I don't end up with bad feedback (mine currently stands at 100%)

Thumper
21-Aug-07, 17:01
Try contacting ebay and telling them that you only bid on the item as there was a paypal option and when you tried paying the seller didn't have an account and that you are uncomfortable with sending a cheque to see what options they can give you x

changilass
21-Aug-07, 17:03
Cheers Thumper, have done that and am awaiting a reply

Thumper
21-Aug-07, 17:04
No probs :) x

justine
21-Aug-07, 17:16
hi.I certainly would not send her a cheque as she can get hold of your account details.Have you tried sending her an email asking her to open a paypal account. I do not bid if there is no paypal account.Hope you get this sorted....

changilass
21-Aug-07, 17:18
I only bid if there is a paypal a/c and the option was there, will have to wait and see how long it takes ebay to get back to me now.

Julia
21-Aug-07, 17:22
hi.I certainly would not send her a cheque as she can get hold of your account details.Have you tried sending her an email asking her to open a paypal account.

They may be able to get hold of your account details but there is not much they can do with them, some ebayers even advertise their account details in their listings, my advice would be to contact the seller and ask if they have a paypal account.

It may just be that she has updated her contact details or changed her email address and forgotten to update Paypal which would then look like she has no paypal account. That has happened to me before.

johno
21-Aug-07, 17:22
hi.I certainly would not send her a cheque as she can get hold of your account details.Have you tried sending her an email asking her to open a paypal account. I do not bid if there is no paypal account.Hope you get this sorted....
yes, i buy loads of ebay for myself & for friends that have,nt got a paypal acc, if the seller has,nt got an acc with paypal i just side step them.
maybe better to contact the seller and ebay & let them know how you feel about it. i would,nt just sent them the cheque.
:eek:

Billy Boy
21-Aug-07, 17:23
changi have you thought of sending a postal order?.................

If they could get all your account details from a cheque then cheque's would be no existant, my wife uses cheque's regularly and has never had any problems.

changilass
21-Aug-07, 17:26
got mail back from seller saying that its her sisters account who is on holiday and no paypal a/c so told her that I have passed it on to ebay as I don't want to send payment without having the backup of paypal,

Metalattakk
21-Aug-07, 17:52
It's a scam. eBay will tell you the same, I would hope.

orkneylass
21-Aug-07, 18:01
Not necessarily a scam or any problem - always check out the payment method before bidding - are you saying that this seller claimed to accept paypal and then turned out not to have an account? Or are you saying that you did not realise it was cheque only at the time of bidding? the first would look dodgy to me but the second puts you at fault.

Tristan
21-Aug-07, 18:05
She can very easily set one up even if it is not her ebay account. If not, I would think are not obligated to go through with the sale as the conditions of sale have changed.

changilass
21-Aug-07, 18:06
Paypal was a payment option so not my fault this time lol

sam
21-Aug-07, 18:22
I had a similar situation a few month back and when i emailed the seller she didnt realise that she had to set the account up seperately from the ebay account she thought once registered as a seller it was all set up ready to go, after explaining it all to her she got the account set up and my payment went through. so if its a new seller it could be a simple mistake on their behalf and not a scam.:confused

changilass
21-Aug-07, 18:41
Cheers Sam, I have suggested that but don't know if she can do it as its her sisters account, will have to wait and see.

Metalattakk
21-Aug-07, 20:35
Not necessarily a scam or any problem....

Of course it's a scam. The buyer will send their money expecting to get the item, but the seller is a fake and will just trouser the cash.

Why do you think they won't accept payment by paypal? Because paypal is regulated, of course.

And why do you think she's using her "sister's" account?

The whole thing stinks.

thefugitive1993
21-Aug-07, 23:33
Of course it's a scam. The buyer will send their money expecting to get the item, but the seller is a fake and will just trouser the cash.

Why do you think they won't accept payment by paypal? Because paypal is regulated, of course.

And why do you think she's using her "sister's" account?

The whole thing stinks.

Crumbs, nothing like giving someone the benefit of the doubt!

Metalattakk
22-Aug-07, 01:55
There's no-one that deserves the 'benefit of the doubt' where money is concerned.

Mark my words. This is a scam.

Max
22-Aug-07, 11:10
Similar thing happened to me this week. Won item tried to pay through paypal couldn't do it. The seller sent me the invoice with a note saying they had a problem setting up their paypal account and would accept cheque, postal order or BACS. They didn't send me their address but a direct email address to contact them. This was a completely new ebayer with no feedback. I have sent a cheque loads but never to a new ebayer so was a bit suspect. I emailed them a couple of times through ebay and got no reply. I then contacted ebay and the item was removed - I was told if I had paid money I should try and stop the payment or get in touch with the police! Phew! Thank goodness I didn't contact them directly for their address!!

changilass
22-Aug-07, 11:17
Max, how long did it take ebay to get back to you, I mailed them between 4 and 5 yesterday but have still not heard back from them

Thumper
22-Aug-07, 11:43
Changilass it can take them 24hrs or sometimes more to get back to you!Hold on for the reply before you part with your money tho! x

changilass
22-Aug-07, 12:24
She says she has set up a paypal a/c but when I try to pay its coming up as unclaimed, stranger and strangerer:confused

Thumper
22-Aug-07, 12:59
Changi, I had a similar problem last year witha seller in hong kong(yes I now know never to buy from there lol) and when I went to pay thru paypal it just kept refusing the payment.contacted ebay who took over 24 hrs to reply by which time I had tried paying again :( they said not to pay for the item so I didn't.Never had any contact from the seller about the item but I did get an email from a woman in OZ that had bought the same item and paid for it and her payment had been taken, she never got the item tho so just hangfire and wait till ebay tell you what to do,have to admit it does SEEM to be screaming scam tho.Hope it works out ok for u x

Max
22-Aug-07, 15:27
I emailed ebay yesterday evening and I had a reply this morning.

scorrie
22-Aug-07, 15:50
She says she has set up a paypal a/c but when I try to pay its coming up as unclaimed, stranger and strangerer:confused

If they have a personal account they may not be able to accept payments made via credit card funded Paypal. That happened to me when I started out with Paypal and I had to upgrade to a Premier account to accept some payments. Some people have the personal account because payments from bank accounts, or existing Paypal balances, do not involve fees whereas a percentage is charged for Premier accounts. It used to be very common that sellers added a percentage to your total if you paid via Paypal but eBay does not allow that anymore. Good luck

changilass
22-Aug-07, 16:45
She has just got back in touch to say that she will post the item tomorrow, as she can see that I have made the payment even though she can't get it as she is waiting for her a/c to be verified, si its fingers crossed here till it arrives:D

I feel sorry for the ones with hardly any feedback, unless we give them a chance they will never get the feedback. Its a vicious circle.

Metalattakk
27-Aug-07, 15:34
So, has the transaction completed to your satisfaction then, changilass?

Would be nice to be proved wrong, for once. ;)

Metalattakk
28-Aug-07, 18:36
Ah well, looks like the lack of response would suggest that I was right all along.

Would some schadenfreude be considered out of order?

changilass
28-Aug-07, 18:41
Sorry for not replying earlier, but was waiting to see if the item got delivered.

Recieved said item today, however, still can't use it as no instructions, she is posting them tomorrow.

Will let you know when I recieve the instructions if the damned thing works :lol:

changilass
30-Aug-07, 21:47
Well after all the fuss, I got my superdooper new sewing machine, with the instructions ariving a couple of days later.

Have just tried it out and its great, it does embroidery so have just put the wee mans name in some of his school clothes and will hopefully be making curtains at the weekend.

All I can say is thank goodness it wasn't a scam.:D:D

Thumper
30-Aug-07, 21:49
Glad to hear it worked out ok for you in the end Changi :) x

ashaw1
30-Aug-07, 22:20
Glad to hear your ebay story had a happy ending! Most ebay questions these days seem to end up with a negative outcome.

Metalattakk
31-Aug-07, 00:09
Well after all the fuss, I got my superdooper new sewing machine, with the instructions ariving a couple of days later.

Have just tried it out and its great, it does embroidery so have just put the wee mans name in some of his school clothes and will hopefully be making curtains at the weekend.

All I can say is thank goodness it wasn't a scam.

Glad to be proved wrong, for once. :)

Be careful though, you might not be so lucky next time. ;)

golach
31-Aug-07, 00:39

All I can say is thank goodness it wasn't a scam.:D
Can you Draw me a pair of Curtains Changi [lol]