PDA

View Full Version : Car Insurance -Advice

brokencross
21-Aug-07, 16:17
My daughter (who has only got a provisional driving licence) is buying a car.

In order to get the cheapest (and totally legal) insurance, does she have to be the proposer with me as named driver?

OR

can I insure the car (even though she owns it) with all my no claims bonus and have her as the named driver.

OR

does anybody have any other solutions or know of good insurance deals for young drivers.

rs 2k
21-Aug-07, 16:38
Hi

Your best solution is u insure it in your name and put her as a named driver, it doesn't matter who owns it as long as its insured for all drivers!! But remember only the main driver will b covered fully comp, the rest will b 3rd party only

Starting a new policy where the driver is a learner can b very expensive

Phone your own insurance and they will advise u

justine
21-Aug-07, 17:43
i agree. I would insure it in your name with all your no claims and if you would like a cheap insurer i would try DIAMOND. They accept provisionals and they are very cheap...i did a quote and it saved me over 100 for the year....Best of luck and i hope you get the best quote...

vron
24-Aug-07, 01:46
Check out the following site for a full explanation of how to get the cheapest car insurance:
http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/insurance/compare-cheap-car-insurance

Basically, enter your details at confused.com and moneysupermarket.com and they will search loads of insurers to find the best price.

What I did though, was sign up with quidco.com and via them, got a quote from Screentraders. This was slightly more expensive than the best quote from confused.com, but it came with £120 cashback. So I ended up with fully comp insurance for £25 :)
(Worth signing up to quidco anyway to get cashback on any internet shopping.)

Also worth bearing in mind is Direct Line. If your daughter is a named driver she will build up a no claims bonus in her own right, which can then be used when she takes out a policy in her own name (but only with Direct Line). Probably of dubious value as Direct Line tend to be expensive for younger drivers.

Also, read the article on how to get the cheapest breakdown recovery service:
http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/insurance/roadside-recovery

All this should save you a small fortune :D

canuck
24-Aug-07, 01:55
vron, thank you for this information. I am having to do the speedy learning curve in many areas of Scottish life.

Brokencross, would you vouch for me too if I need it on an insurance application?

vron
24-Aug-07, 01:59
You're welcome canuck. Though I'm not quite sure what car insurance has to do with Scottish life :confused

canuck
24-Aug-07, 02:20
I am having to learn all the bits of life in Scotland that one takes for granted. You see, yesterday I immigrated from Canada. I am in Caithness for a wee holiday, but soon I will make my way south to take up a new life in this beautiful country.