PDA

View Full Version : Horse calmer

KEEP_ON_TRUCKIN
21-Aug-07, 12:01
Anyone ever used any horse calming supplements, for their horses obviously......

particularly
Feedmark's Steady Up
Global Herbs' Super Calm
NAF's Magic??

Cheers

topotheuk
21-Aug-07, 13:32
I've never had to use them myself, but the Steady Up is very popular. Good luck

KEEP_ON_TRUCKIN
22-Aug-07, 09:28
thanks, they are all quite popular the only one i have heard that actually has worked is the magic one.....from NAF think i may try that first then the stea\dy up - steady up was like the original product on the market but is bit more expensive

Max
22-Aug-07, 09:58
Look for the ingredient "tryptophan" in the calmer. I used to use them and found it was a hit or a miss, depending what I was doing. A B-Kalm syringe and supplement in the feed worked (just takes the edge off) but is quite expensive. You could try Equine America products - a couple of doses of the syringes. I have seen some people use the "human" stuff on horses - don't know if it works - I can't remember the name of it - it'll come back to me though!

:)

KEEP_ON_TRUCKIN
22-Aug-07, 10:48
Yeah have been looking at quine america stuff too.... no really looking for a Does ro special hit stuff looking for a maintenance level stuff....

the story is ..... previous owners had her permenantly inside over last winter not turned out at all between October and February for different reasons....bought her in february, march she stuck leg through gate, now slowly coming back into work.

Has soft mouth but from what can gather was geared up pretty heavily, bit wise, grackle nose band and various martingale/market Harborough...... I have taken away this and put her in copper snaffle with lozenge to keep mouth soft and been trying to bring her back in quetly...

Although injury is superficial she is still inflammed around the scab (this was a BIG GASH - although lucklily didnt hit tendons).

Her main issue is that she is overweight from having done nothing really in a year..... and with injury has been started off slow, she is a very capable mare, dressage and jumping and gets frustrated quite easily with which throws head, swings back end out, and is generally unsettled.

Back and teeth checked, new saddle fitted.

Cheers.

wickchick
22-Aug-07, 12:01
Why not try starting her from scratch?
Maybe she doesnt need the calmer supplements MAYBE she needs trust restored and thats why she is nervous and wont settle.
Why not try lunging her at first just lightly, getting to know her, let her get to know your voice and see how it goes. So rather than aids when ridden ie legs,hand,whip, spurs she will calmly responde to your voice once mounted and then work from there applying the leg slowly and having her work through her back rather than straining her front with bits and nosebands.
It may take time, but in the long run its better off i think.
This is just a thought, not ment is a harsh way.
Hope it helps
Ashleigh

KEEP_ON_TRUCKIN
22-Aug-07, 12:17
thanks ashleigh....see it private message!!

horseman
22-Aug-07, 23:32
I would have thought bound to get upset if permantly in-grackle-martingale+m-harbourgh an soft mouth.
Why do people do this when a snaffll is enough-they are not wild animals straight off the praries.
Persevere with the lunging

KEEP_ON_TRUCKIN
23-Aug-07, 08:37
I can understand why she was previuosly rigged up this way, she's a fiery girl......

and I have no direspect for previous owners I just want to do it differently.....

the situation situation with her lunging is not necessarily the way forward, it too can cause frustration and too much on the left rein with her injury inflames it even more.

The timeline at the moment is ......... Farrier shoeing on 1st of sept, one week of bute/antibiotics then to try and take the rest of the swelling out, hack out for a while try and have bit of fun...relax her a bit and then bring her back into schooling about NOvember time.... think i'll need to find a bit of webspace and give her a blog!!!

snowqueen
23-Aug-07, 09:15
at last !!! Have some fun!!! i have delt with a lot of horses down in england with similar problems, most a hell of a lot worse than what you have described, personally, forget all these so called calmers, they are a waste of money, you will only deal with these problems by working together as a team and it takes a lot of time and patience, but make sure you end on a good note every time.

horseman
23-Aug-07, 22:34
All the best mate you seem to have a good hold on it,one thing I did find out-everyone has a different answer:)

KEEP_ON_TRUCKIN
24-Aug-07, 11:27
yeah thats exactly iot horseman everyon has a different answer, suggestion, rule, choice, assesment.... ive just got to go with what i can and see if i can make a difference...... i have another dental and back appointment for her in next couple of months.... farrier out a week on saturday....bit of hacking might waken her up before going back into the school..... just got to take it as it comes....going to start a blog for her where anyone who wishe scan comment.... and catch up with her....not sure if its of interest but if anyone wants a look it will be at http://bethapaloosa.blogspot.com

cheers folks!!