PDA

View Full Version : Driving lessons

miss swanson
21-Aug-07, 12:00
hey everyone i have just past my theory test there on saturday just past i have my first lesson booked for wednesday nite its costing me £24.50 in wick does anyone else no some other prices in town??

Julia
21-Aug-07, 12:18
OMG, you have got to be kidding, I had no idea they were that much!

Dreamweaver
21-Aug-07, 12:57
Cost wise, they're all pretty much the same I'm afraid.

thefugitive1993
21-Aug-07, 12:59
OMG, you have got to be kidding, I had no idea they were that much!

I guess a little car costs ~ £8,000, paid over 3 years add ~ 10% interest = £8,800.

Learner drivers are pretty hard on vehicles and they maybe even like them serviced, with new tyres and generally safe. I'm guessing we're adding a few hundred quid per year. Lets say we're now at £10,500. Gee you want fuel in the car, and comprehensive insurance. 5

50,000 miles per annum at 40mpg = 1,250 gallons per year at a round £5 per gallon = £18,750 over 3 years.

Learner driver insurance, no idea, maybe £1500 per year!! = £4,500 over 3 years. Costs are now at £31,750 per 3 years. Which is £10,583 per year.

Working 47 weeks per year, 38 hours per week = £43,750, which means after costs = 43,750 = £33,000 per year if the instructor's training was free and he/she doesn't take on insurance against sickness, or any of the other costs I have doubtless omitted; let's say the reality is £25K after missed lessons due to client sickness, snow stops play, car broken down, mother in law's funeral etc etc.

Is that unrealistic in 2,007 for someone trying to provide a service and taking responsibility for the lives of other road users?

I think not, and if you reckon it is such a great deal, you can refine the maths and get out there in your well-paid new career.

My line involves business profitability assesment, and I get jolly fed up listening to people moaning about the huge chunks of cash others are earning. Bet we don't see you rushing to become a driving instructor any time soon!

young
21-Aug-07, 12:59
I think that is the average price as when i was taking my lessons this year it was £24

alistair harper
21-Aug-07, 13:00
hey everyone i have just past my theory test there on saturday just past i have my first lesson booked for wednesday nite its costing me £24.50 in wick does anyone else no some other prices in town??

Hi there congratulations on passing first part

£25 seems to be the norm now, what you can do is ask the driving school if they will give you a discount for block booking say 10 lessons

good luck

aly

Geo
21-Aug-07, 13:16
My line involves business profitability assesment, and I get jolly fed up listening to people moaning about the huge chunks of cash others are earning. Bet we don't see you rushing to become a driving instructor any time soon!

I can't see where Julia moaned at "the huge chunks of cash others are earning." She simply said she had no idea they cost what they did.

Anne x
21-Aug-07, 14:12
Gosh I am getting old !!! Did not realise what driving lessons cost these days !!

But then I remember when I could put £10 petrol in the car and do me for ages :lol:

thefugitive1993
21-Aug-07, 14:52
I can't see where Julia moaned at "the huge chunks of cash others are earning." She simply said she had no idea they cost what they did.

If the OMG, didn't imply "Oh my God" in the sense of the cost being too much, I wholehartedly apologise.

If I was wrong it wouldn't be the first time!

trix
21-Aug-07, 16:31
congrats miss swanson, wish ye luck in yer lessons ;)

johno
21-Aug-07, 17:17
congrats miss swanson, wish ye luck in yer lessons ;)
aye its an expensive game all right. but surely you can have someone take you out alteratively.although its certainly better with the pro, you can sharpen up the handling skills & build up a bit of confidence. congrats on the theory part and good luck with the lessons.:D

Julia
21-Aug-07, 17:37
My driving lessons cost just £7, I suppose that was a lot back then (20 years ago) and driving instructors must have an awful lot to put up with, I'd be no good as I'd just abandon the bad ones out in the country somewhere!

Riffman
21-Aug-07, 18:10
4 Years ago I was paying £18, things change I suppose.

cuddlepop
21-Aug-07, 18:20
£24 down in Glasgow and £19 over here on Skye.

Its so expensive but a necessatity for some jobs .

Good luck.:D

Fluff
21-Aug-07, 19:47
good god, i am glad i am not learning up there! my lessons are coasting me £20 each, got my 1st lesson free and i get my last lesson free!

just booked my theory test last night, fees go up in september, 50 questions now too!

sharon
21-Aug-07, 20:35
i would hate to fork out now for a lesson!!! at the time i thought £9 was expensive, when i learnt to drive, and had no theory tests to sit back then too!
have you looked into a 5-7 days crash course where you sit your test at the end!

rainbow
21-Aug-07, 23:41
The practical test is about £45. Yes learning to drive is an expensive business, but if you are sensible you will always have your licence, and it comes in very handy and it is an advantage when applying for some jobs.

mccaugm
21-Aug-07, 23:47
My son recently asked why in Britain we have to get lessons from private instructors as he watches programmes such as Malcolm in the Middle which show American children getting lessons in school. "Drivers Ed" as they call it. I said it would put thousands of driving instructors out of work which would have a knock on effect to the economy. (Bit heavy but he got the point). I then got to thinking maybe it was not such a bad idea, if we instilled good practice in school, maybe the drivers of the future would be better educated. It was just a thought.

mums angels
22-Aug-07, 09:41
:eek: EEK , £24 i paid £15 for mine in thurso 6 years ago ...

Geo
22-Aug-07, 10:29
If I was wrong it wouldn't be the first time!

You and me both! :)

Tristan
22-Aug-07, 11:24
My son recently asked why in Britain we have to get lessons from private instructors as he watches programmes such as Malcolm in the Middle which show American children getting lessons in school. "Drivers Ed" as they call it. I said it would put thousands of driving instructors out of work which would have a knock on effect to the economy. (Bit heavy but he got the point). I then got to thinking maybe it was not such a bad idea, if we instilled good practice in school, maybe the drivers of the future would be better educated. It was just a thought.

When I learnt to drive back in Canada I went to an AA driving school (Run by the AA not my high school. It included many hours of classwork and practical skills in the car. Not only did it teach a lot of very good driving skills it helped prepare you for a wide range of driving conditions. Passing meant a greatly reduced insurance premium to boot so it was well worth it.