PDA

View Full Version : Frozen smoke

j4bberw0ck
21-Aug-07, 11:50
Amazing (http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/science/article2284349.ece).

Stuff like this underlines the ingenuity of the human race. But what a shame that the chemist who first prepared an aerogel for a bet, in 1931, didn't even get his name mentioned. Google to the rescue: one Steven S. Kistler, College of the Pacific, Stockton, California.

Why the Times chose now to publish an article about it now, I don't know - - it's quite clear from Google references there's work been done on aerogels for years. Maybe it was the possibility of use of a platinum-derived aerogel as a catalyst for producing hydrogen as a fuel. Still a fascinating thought though that at 0.003 grams per cm^3, a cubic metre of aerogel weighs 3 kg - 3 bags of sugar. One m^3 of air weighs 1.2 kg.

Might be bit heavier with platinum in it, mind :lol:

Ricco
21-Aug-07, 16:37
Amazing! Why don't they use it to form a protective layer between the inner and outer skins of space craft? Could use it as insulation between the inner and outer walls of houses; line the walls and floors of cellars; make cycle helmets from it... oooh, the list goes on. :cool:

George Brims
21-Aug-07, 20:19
It's no good for a lot of those uses Ricco as it's still fairly fragile. As long as it is supported by other materials it is an amazing insulator though.

Jeemag_USA
21-Aug-07, 20:32
Fascinating stuff, great read. I want the first pair of frozen smoke shoes :Razz

Lolabelle
21-Aug-07, 22:08
Fascinating stuff, great read. I want the first pair of frozen smoke shoes :Razz

What a good idea Jeemag, nice warm, lightweight shoes, and I could still see my nail polished toes through it. :p