PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone know of this one?

Alice in Blunderland
20-Aug-07, 15:43
When putting a watch into any of the local jewellers is there normally a fee/deposit paid for work to be carried out? Total cost of repair is to be fifteen to twenty pound. :confused

I am a little confused on this one as I have been waiting for my watch to come out of the jewellers on which I paid no deposit , meanwhile my daughter put hers in. My daughter was asked for £5 which she did not have on her at the time not realising she needed it.

Has anyone else come across this one? Or is this an age thing I wonder :confused

And yes I am going to ask when I go in next but thought I would see if any one else had come across this .

Angela
20-Aug-07, 16:31
Alice, until recently I used a shop in St Andrews for jewellery and watch repairs.

They always asked for a £5 deposit - there was a sign to that effect in the shop. I suppose they must have found folk didn't always turn up to collect the items that they'd spent time working on. :(

young
20-Aug-07, 16:33
on the few occassions i have put my watch and jewellery in for repair i have never been asked for a deposit

trix
20-Aug-07, 16:39
i just put in a ring til be reshaped last week an i never got asked for a deposit :)

Razz
20-Aug-07, 16:49
I have had to pay £5.00 deposit

Ash
20-Aug-07, 16:51
maybe it just depends on the jewellery shop :D

EDDIE
20-Aug-07, 16:52
When putting a watch into any of the local jewellers is there normally a fee/deposit paid for work to be carried out? Total cost of repair is to be fifteen to twenty pound. :confused

I am a little confused on this one as I have been waiting for my watch to come out of the jewellers on which I paid no deposit , meanwhile my daughter put hers in. My daughter was asked for £5 which she did not have on her at the time not realising she needed it.

Has anyone else come across this one? Or is this an age thing I wonder :confused

And yes I am going to ask when I go in next but thought I would see if any one else had come across this .
If i was you i would have a good look around the shop to see if there is any notices up about that first and if not i would have a moan at the person behind the counter because it can be quite embarrassing for some people to be asked for a deposit if they dont have the money on them.
Because at the end of the day the shopkeeper should have signs clearly visable to the customer if thats the way they want to operate.And even if he has signs up if there not clearly visable thats there fault and he needs moaned at.
Give the shopkeeper a piece of your mind i know u want to lol.

Alice in Blunderland
20-Aug-07, 17:08
Give the shopkeeper a piece of your mind i know u want to lol. Hee Hee I did think that when I realised how embarrased it left my daughter :D

I do want to draw attention to the fact my daughter was mortified.

My watch did not cost me a penny when I put it in for repair and I assumed it would be the same for my daughter. If it is a case of people or young kids not coming back to pay for repairs then fine I accept that its makes good business sense but to pick and choose who and when you apply this deposit leaves a bitter taste and a feeling that some people are prejudiced against. :confused

Thumper
20-Aug-07, 19:01
I recently put a ring into a jewellers in Thurso to be resized and I was asked for a £3 deposit.When I went to collect the ring I was told they couldn't resize it because it was a "tv"bought ring and therefor not of a quality that they would resize!I was so mad I just took the ring back (it wasn't a tv ring) and it wasn't until after I got home I realised that not only had I not gotten my £3 back I had in effect paid to be insulted!God only knows why a tv ring would be any different to any other ring?:confused x

hobbes1962
21-Aug-07, 06:05
God only knows why a tv ring would be any different to any other ring?:confused x

I've got a TV ring (a 9ct gold Cletic Loveknot) that I bought years ago on QVC but that they didn't have in my size (I) so I got a K and got it made smaller at a local jewellers here in Thurso and no mention was made to the fact that it was a TV ring or poor quality

Thumper
21-Aug-07, 09:32
hobbes1962, I too have some "tv" bought rings and in my opinion there is no difference in them and ones I have bought from jewellers, infact a couple of my "tv" bought rings are actually of a far high quality than the jewellers ones.Less inclusions etc than the ones I bought from jewellers.I think that it just depends on who you use to resize.Must try the other one in Thurso just to see cos a ring that I can't wear for fear of losing it isn't much use x

thefugitive1993
21-Aug-07, 13:14
If i was you i would have a good look around the shop to see if there is any notices up about that first and if not i would have a moan at the person behind the counter because it can be quite embarrassing for some people to be asked for a deposit if they dont have the money on them.
Because at the end of the day the shopkeeper should have signs clearly visable to the customer if thats the way they want to operate.And even if he has signs up if there not clearly visable thats there fault and he needs moaned at.
Give the shopkeeper a piece of your mind i know u want to lol.

"Give the shopkeeper a piece of your mind"!!!

Good Grief man, they are only trying to run a business and discourage folk from dropping of items which take time and money to fix, then leaving them forever. It's a Deposit, so it is retuned and its a fiver!!

Get a life, do you work for nothing? What about the past experiences of the shop do you know what they are or their profitability?

If you don't like the politics why not go elsewhere. Its pretty unreasonable to give a bloke/blokess trying to do their best "a piece of your mind", and if that is truly your attitude, I don't think you can spare much.