PDA

View Full Version : 25th Anniversary of Banning the Belt in school

Anne x
20-Aug-07, 13:44
Did you get the strap at school ?

I did :(

Victoria
20-Aug-07, 13:46
we had a teacher in middle school that used to hit us on the knuckles with a wooden ruler - and that wasn't that long ago!

bluelady
20-Aug-07, 13:51
aye, i did too and e slipper. I remeber one teacher had size 9 plimpsols that he used for slippering. One day when he was out of e classroom, I ran up to his desk and took them out and chucked them outta e top floor window. Later he went to slipper someone and his face was a picture when he saw they werent there, he was livid. We all kept straight face and silent when he demanded to know where they were. But yes, there's always one - teachers pet, e snitch. i had to go down two flights of stairs and up again, plus get a slippering for my bother :mad:

angela5
20-Aug-07, 14:00
Victoria, i had an English teacher in High School who did the exact same thing!:~(

I was giving the strap in Primary School for going outside the school gates at break-time!! How mean!:(

NLP
20-Aug-07, 14:10
Just the once in primary school I put paint on a chair in art class.

lady penelope
20-Aug-07, 14:40
I never got the belt but one of my primary teachers had a good aim with his chalk even to the back of the class.He would throw his duster as well if we had a carry on!
I learned to duck[lol]

johno
20-Aug-07, 14:43
yep, i got the belt loads of times, never did me any harm .
come to think on it, it never did me any good either.
i recall, i got it cause i deserved it. end of story. :roll:

EDDIE
20-Aug-07, 15:48
yes i got the belt in primary school for fighting and then got the belt again when i got home for getting the belt in school sister grassed on me didnt do me any harm i wish they would bring it back

brandy
20-Aug-07, 16:00
I was paddled several times in school.. wooden paddle on my bottom.. but never ever had anything like a strap or a ruler or likes that peeps over here speak of.
last i knew corpral punishment is still allowed back home with parents permission.
but i will tell you one thing, being a parent now, with my little boy just in nursery. if ever anyone dared to take a strap to him , ie a ruler or strap across the hands, throwing things at his head.. you had better belive the person responsible.. had better hope that they can outrun me. because i would quite happily show them what a switch felt like.
and i would have the police involved and make sure that person never taught anywhere where my children were at again.
I do belive in corpral punishment.
and a spanking when needed is fine, not done in anger/fear (as i have done in past and regretted soon after) theirs many a time ive popped hands going near fires, sockets and stoves!
but it is my responsibility to punish my children. if the school ever has a problem with them, all they have to do is call me and i can guarentee it wouldnt happen again.
theres a lot more to punishment than a slap, and I my friends am a master at torture when it comes to little people! *winks* loss of freedom and belongings can come in so many ways... and silence *wahhhahhaaa*
do you know when i was a child i dreaded having to stand in a corner being quite than being hit... its lasted much longer!

Mall67
20-Aug-07, 17:21
BRING IT BACK!!!!!!!!!!!
Might teach some of the youngsters these days a bit of respect. I reckon since they banned the belt the crime rate among youngsters has soared year on year. Just look at the vandalisim in Caithness recently, this was a rare occurance 25 years ago.
Also the Police should be WALKING the streets. Remember Bertie Boagie standing in the town square at the weekend. You were always well behaved because he commanded a bit of RESPECT amongst us young ones then.

grumpyhippo
20-Aug-07, 17:24
To celebrate this anniversary why don't we organise a whip round!!!:lol::lol:

nanoo
20-Aug-07, 17:36
I agree with Mall67. If you behave in school, then you don't need to fear the strap. I also agree that it's time the beat copper was back as well. This riding around in cars is no use. :lol:

Ash
20-Aug-07, 17:53
i totally disagree with the belt, its disgusting why should others hit our kids, i wouldnt even do it!

its disgraceful, when i was in school there was no belt(thank god) but a teacher who used to threaten to put you in the cupboard, what is that meant to teach children![evil]

johno
20-Aug-07, 18:00
I agree with Mall67. If you behave in school, then you don't need to fear the strap. I also agree that it's time the beat copper was back as well. This riding around in cars is no use. :lol:
riding around in cars you gotta be jokin, since the cop shop was moved .
you would be hard pushed to see a cop car or a copper unless he was out for getting his lunch piece. think they are trying to rely on the cctv thats been put about the town. :roll:

corgiman
20-Aug-07, 18:50
There definately needs to be some sort of deterent to get children under control in schools, at the moment I personally see none and I do not see why a child who is willing to learn and wants to learn should be held back educationally by another child who is determined to undermine the teachers authority and disrupt classes so that no other child can learn. I know of a child who was so out of control in primary 1 that they were removed from the school, the other children got no peace and were constantly being asaulted. Obviously that problem lays at the feet of the parent but when the child goes into school what is there to make them behave????

Thumper
20-Aug-07, 19:17
I totally agree!Bring back the belt !If a child has done something bad enough to deserve the belt then I would have no problem with it.Had the belt a few times myself at school and clearly remember being put across a teachers lap in primary 2 or 3 and spanked with a scholl shoe!Didn't misbehave for a LONG time after that.Also bring back the local bobby that would give you a good clip around the lug if you didnt do what you were told!Kids nowadays have no respect because they know that theres not a thing that can be done to them.Only once (so far) has one of my kids had the bobbies at my door and within 2 minutes they said to my son we will just leave you to your Mum because we don't think you will ever do anything like this again after she has finished with you :) And you know what...he never did ever again! x

Loafer
20-Aug-07, 19:20
Did you get the strap at school ?

I did :(

I recall getting the belt twice in 2nd year at High School, when I would have been 13. I am now 36. Simple arithmetic means it was 23 years ago???

The Loafer

dook
20-Aug-07, 19:21
Picture the happiest 6 year old in school, innocently ice skating up the polished school corridors in his football boots. Its amazing how a razor leather can bring you back to reality!!

Never done it again though..................................

Anne x
20-Aug-07, 19:44
Loafer I just saw the article on the news today and took it from there :eek:

Alice in Blunderland
20-Aug-07, 20:00
I recall getting the belt twice in 2nd year at High School, when I would have been 13. I am now 36. Simple arithmetic means it was 23 years ago???

The Loafer

I came to Wick high when I was nearly fifteen and to my horror remember finding out they still had the belt :eek:
Later that year I remember it being banned ... another piece of arithmetic Alice is forty in a couple of weeks so that makes it twenty five to me.:D

I am against the belt and if it were in use today woe betide anyone who lay a hand / belt on my child. I would rather children who misbehaved were excluded from mainstream school.

As for my own children if they were to misbehave send them home to me where I would punish them and boy would they know all about it. I dont need to lift a hand to them to make them sorry but thats not to say they have not had a wallop in the past.

nannydip
20-Aug-07, 20:07
Never got the belt, the threat was enough. In primary school I remember the headmaster threatning to tell my father that I was misbehaving. I can remember the feeling of dread, really worried that he would get in touch with my dad.

Think the belt would act as a deterrent for some, but, today's society is so different, too much psychology and not enough common sense.

Ricco
20-Aug-07, 20:19
Yep - from Dragon Duncan, Netta Duck, one of the Maths teachers and one of the Art teachers. Mrs Duncan for too many spelling errors, Netta because I couldn't give a toss about RE, the Maths teacher for being cheeky and the Art teacher for not being able to draw. I make that 1 = justifed and 3 = abuse.

Alice in Blunderland
20-Aug-07, 20:25
Yep - from Dragon Duncan, Netta Duck, one of the Maths teachers and one of the Art teachers. Mrs Duncan for too many spelling errors, Netta because I couldn't give a toss about RE, the Maths teacher for being cheeky and the Art teacher for not being able to draw. I make that 1 = justifed and 3 = abuse.

That is my fear with the belt how justified would it be. I saw many pupils belted not for misbehaving but for genuine errors ....having said that one of my lingering memmories was of a pupil being belted for ...... wait for it ....a truly very bad thing ...... farting :eek:
If I had been the teacher I would have kept my distance rather than going to him and belting him.

scorrie
20-Aug-07, 21:32
I was paddled several times in school.. wooden paddle on my bottom.. but never ever had anything like a strap or a ruler or likes that peeps over here speak of.
last i knew corpral punishment is still allowed back home with parents permission.
but i will tell you one thing, being a parent now, with my little boy just in nursery. if ever anyone dared to take a strap to him , ie a ruler or strap across the hands, throwing things at his head.. you had better belive the person responsible.. had better hope that they can outrun me. because i would quite happily show them what a switch felt like.
and i would have the police involved and make sure that person never taught anywhere where my children were at again.
I do belive in corpral punishment.
and a spanking when needed is fine, not done in anger/fear (as i have done in past and regretted soon after) theirs many a time ive popped hands going near fires, sockets and stoves!
but it is my responsibility to punish my children. if the school ever has a problem with them, all they have to do is call me and i can guarentee it wouldnt happen again.
theres a lot more to punishment than a slap, and I my friends am a master at torture when it comes to little people! *winks* loss of freedom and belongings can come in so many ways... and silence *wahhhahhaaa*
do you know when i was a child i dreaded having to stand in a corner being quite than being hit... its lasted much longer!

Thankfully, it doesn't work like that. We would be in a very poor position if we left the punishment for people's crimes up to their parents!!

Standards need to be set and I am sure that many Mothers in this world would be only too happy to let their kids go free, for even the most heinous of crimes.

Let me put it to you this way. If your child were murdered, would you be happy for the parents of the murderer to decide the punishment?

You seem to be a very aggressive person, always on about laying into people and you have mentioned torture on several occasions.

Much to learn about tolerance and forgiveness in my opinion. God is the one who makes the judgements, as far as my understanding of the Christian tenet goes. Nobody's kids are any more precious than anyone else's, same rules must apply to all. Drop the stick and embrace the logic of " A hammering is alright, provided that I am dishing it out!!"

horseman
20-Aug-07, 21:38
Yes indeed anne they were a right lot of old sadists then an the law allowed them free rule,an a right hard skelp round the head too.
That old pendulem may have swung a bit far over of late but I would never wish the old ways back again

brandy
20-Aug-07, 22:01
ok.. obviously.. emotions dosent show in a thread.. exspecially sarcasmn..
when i said torture.. i meant as punishment for my children.. ie taking away games toys tv ect... to a 4 year old that is torture. and no where were we talking about crimes..
i dont know about yourselves, but i am talking about children misbehaving in school.
not murder or crime.
lets face it..if some one murdered my little boy.. im sure it would take more that the belt for punishment.
i am no where in any shape or form talking about big things.
just stupid kids things,
cheek, skipping class, running in the halls, ect.
when it comes into fighting.. i think students should be expelled for a while.
or put into alternate schooling.
and yes it is my responsibility and no one elses to discipline my child.
If unfortunatly other parents can not do that, well then that is their own failure as parents, because discipline is one of the main things we need to teach them.
and teaching them fear and anger thru lashing out at them only teaches them that its ok for bigger people to hit on small people.
when i punish my children, i explain to them why they are being punished before and after.
i do have a question for you scorrie.. what do you have against me by the way?
just curious as you seem to quite often pick apart every thing i say.. and always throw God into it and try and make me out to be a bad person?
if i have ever done any thing to hurt you.. lm sorry, but i really do not appreciate you having a go at everything i say that is slightly controversal.

scorrie
20-Aug-07, 23:51
ok.. obviously.. emotions dosent show in a thread.. exspecially sarcasmn..
when i said torture.. i meant as punishment for my children.. ie taking away games toys tv ect... to a 4 year old that is torture. and no where were we talking about crimes..
i dont know about yourselves, but i am talking about children misbehaving in school.
not murder or crime.
lets face it..if some one murdered my little boy.. im sure it would take more that the belt for punishment.
i am no where in any shape or form talking about big things.
just stupid kids things,
cheek, skipping class, running in the halls, ect.
when it comes into fighting.. i think students should be expelled for a while.
or put into alternate schooling.
and yes it is my responsibility and no one elses to discipline my child.
If unfortunatly other parents can not do that, well then that is their own failure as parents, because discipline is one of the main things we need to teach them.
and teaching them fear and anger thru lashing out at them only teaches them that its ok for bigger people to hit on small people.
when i punish my children, i explain to them why they are being punished before and after.
i do have a question for you scorrie.. what do you have against me by the way?
just curious as you seem to quite often pick apart every thing i say.. and always throw God into it and try and make me out to be a bad person?
if i have ever done any thing to hurt you.. lm sorry, but i really do not appreciate you having a go at everything i say that is slightly controversal.

I have nothing against you, or anyone else. You should only post on public forums if you are willing to accept the good AND the bad, as perceived, responses. I do not agree that sarcasm does not show in threads, it is usually very clearcut. That is the very essence of sarcasm, it is blindingly obvious, it wouldn't be sarcasm if it were not so.

I am disappointed that a person with belief in God does not show more compassion and tolerance. You talk about "small things", do you not realise that "small things" turn into "big things" later in life?

If children are old enough to move outwith the family for their further education, then they are old enough to to accept the rules that are set by society. The moment your children step over the door and walk into public life, they become subject to the rules of society, rather than the rules of the family. It is not fair to expect the world to live by the concepts that certain people hold regarding THEIR children. Trust has to come into it at some point. Mistakes will always be made but I think we would be way worse off if parents were allowed exclusive right to pass sentence on their offspring for their misdemeanours. If children are beyond punishment from outsiders in early life then how can we be consistent in bringing outside intervention in later life? I think it is better for kids to realise that others can punish them for bad behaviour at an early age. That way they can learn that their behaviour impacts outwith the family and that more than Mummy and Daddy can punish them for unacceptable behaviour. In my mind, that is the way of the world and it is better to let them know the way it is.

Please do not take anything personally. I do not know you or you family. I only comment on the posts you make and the way you put yourself across. I have this image of Christians that exemplifies tolerance and gentleness, it seems that anger/aggression spills into your posts at times. I have heard of several Christians who have forgiven murderers for the killing of THEIR family members and wonder if this should be the norm for all followers of Christ/God.

There is no hurt intended in my posts, simply some food for thought. I apologise if you are offended but I operate on the basis that a forum is a place to speak your mind. I am not in a position to judge people as "bad", I am sure your intentions are good and your beliefs are strong. Best wishes, David

Moira
21-Aug-07, 00:05
I was belted by an English teacher at WHS a lot of years ago. I had just joined the school as a first year pupil - she asked me a direct question & I answered truthfully - yes - he was my brother. I got belted & sent outside the classroom - goodness only knows what he had done in previous years. I don't believe it scarred me for life - English was always one of my best subjects and this teacher's treatment of me did not affect my unquenchable thirst for reading, learning etc. Neither did my experience lead me to deny knowledge of my siblings.

I actually felt sorry for this particular teacher when I witnessed all the ridicule she had to endure.

I'd be in favour of bringing back the belt - perhaps the threat of it would be enough. I don't envy teachers nowadays - they seem to be launched into every basic parenting job in the book & criticised when it doesn't work out.

trix
21-Aug-07, 00:12
strap wis banned when i wis at e school, thank god or ma wrists would stil be sore aday!!
a teacher onced skelpt ma brither across e heid for bein cheeky in e classroom an ma faither wisna happy aboot it, he went rite up til e school complainin.
if e teacher, rether than hit him, hed written a note home, ma brither would o gotten roared at, an then grounded.

Moira
21-Aug-07, 00:35
ye wur luky then Trix. Boot if I'd hev been yur brither I'd hiv telt fit happened fin I got home & I'd hiv been scudded again! Boot in ma day we niver got notes hom' - we choost telt anywoi an' got scudded agane fur e' privileje. We'd have been toooooooo feart till no' tell :)

brandy
21-Aug-07, 01:02
ok scorrie
As you said you do not know me or anything about me.
yet, you judge me constantly. and i am just not up to arguing with you for hours.
yes, you upset me,
and yes i know this is a public forum.
yet at the same time, most people employ common curtises.
you have taken things i have said on about 3-4 dif. posts over the last few months and used those.
I belive in God, I belive in heaven.
nothing anyone can say or do will ever make me doubt that.
im not perfect, i am a human being, with the emotions that any person has.
i get angry and upset just like everyone else.
and in the past few months more so.
i left the board after things started getting to me.. just to step back from it a bit. and it really helped in my life.
you want to know about what being a christian is to me?
fine here it is.
i have the comfort to go to a tiny grave and sit beside it and sing.
and when my heart feels as if it is being ripped out of my chest and i reach the point that i am crying out in my soul.. laying beside his grave.. begging to know what i did to deserve this.
a small comfort comes to me.
and its a simple comfort. beside my tiny grave is another one.. with flowers on it.. fresh every time i go.. and i think.. im am soo soo very blessed in my life.
I have two beautiful wonderful children, whom i love very much.. and who looks upon me like the sun and the earth.
they are healthy and they are here.
and even though i have been thru my darkest hours, im still standing and loving my family. I think of that tiny grave and think how lucky i am to have what i have. and Im thankfull that it was ME that it happened to.
yes, i am glad it was me instead of someone else, who could not have handled it, that would not have survived the loss. that it was me that has two healthy happy little boys, and not some one else who has no other children.
that is what my faith means to me.
i can look at a horrible thing and see the good in it.
as for other people hitting my children.
they are precious and wonderful.
they are not perfect, they are by no means angelic.
but .. and heres the big one.
Im teaching them right from wrong,
to be kind, and strong.
to help others and to share what they have.
to love and to give.
and to be respectfull..
that if they respect others, then others will respect them.
when they are grown and do what they choose to do.
i will love them.
i may not allways approve of what they do.
but they will always be my children.
if as you say.. them giving cheek turn them into mass murderes.
will i uphold them? No.
will i support them.. their choices No
but i will always love the litte boys i brought into this world.
and all i can do is raise them and hope that im doing a good job of it.
if you want to twist my words and tell me why i shouldnt be on a public forum.. go ahead.. that is your choice.
mine was in filling this page with the words from my heart.
i would never belittle you, your beliefs and tell you how you should or should not be doing it. and i kindly ask that you return the same curtesy to me.
brandy

scorrie
21-Aug-07, 01:37
ok scorrie
As you said you do not know me or anything about me.
yet, you judge me constantly. and i am just not up to arguing with you for hours.
yes, you upset me,
and yes i know this is a public forum.
yet at the same time, most people employ common curtises.
you have taken things i have said on about 3-4 dif. posts over the last few months and used those.
I belive in God, I belive in heaven.
nothing anyone can say or do will ever make me doubt that.
im not perfect, i am a human being, with the emotions that any person has.
i get angry and upset just like everyone else.
and in the past few months more so.
i left the board after things started getting to me.. just to step back from it a bit. and it really helped in my life.
you want to know about what being a christian is to me?
fine here it is.
i have the comfort to go to a tiny grave and sit beside it and sing.
and when my heart feels as if it is being ripped out of my chest and i reach the point that i am crying out in my soul.. laying beside his grave.. begging to know what i did to deserve this.
a small comfort comes to me.
and its a simple comfort. beside my tiny grave is another one.. with flowers on it.. fresh every time i go.. and i think.. im am soo soo very blessed in my life.
I have two beautiful wonderful children, whom i love very much.. and who looks upon me like the sun and the earth.
they are healthy and they are here.
and even though i have been thru my darkest hours, im still standing and loving my family. I think of that tiny grave and think how lucky i am to have what i have. and Im thankfull that it was ME that it happened to.
yes, i am glad it was me instead of someone else, who could not have handled it, that would not have survived the loss. that it was me that has two healthy happy little boys, and not some one else who has no other children.
that is what my faith means to me.
i can look at a horrible thing and see the good in it.
as for other people hitting my children.
they are precious and wonderful.
they are not perfect, they are by no means angelic.
but .. and heres the big one.
Im teaching them right from wrong,
to be kind, and strong.
to help others and to share what they have.
to love and to give.
and to be respectfull..
that if they respect others, then others will respect them.
when they are grown and do what they choose to do.
i will love them.
i may not allways approve of what they do.
but they will always be my children.
if as you say.. them giving cheek turn them into mass murderes.
will i uphold them? No.
will i support them.. their choices No
but i will always love the litte boys i brought into this world.
and all i can do is raise them and hope that im doing a good job of it.
if you want to twist my words and tell me why i shouldnt be on a public forum.. go ahead.. that is your choice.
mine was in filling this page with the words from my heart.
i would never belittle you, your beliefs and tell you how you should or should not be doing it. and i kindly ask that you return the same curtesy to me.
brandy

Let's get a few things straight here. My Sister died in January of this year, my Father died a little over two weeks ago. You can weigh up the balance of losing someone at an early age compared to losing them after a number of years. There are a lot more memories over the course of a lifetime and I would ask YOU to consider MY losses and my point of view in the context of those losses. My Sister died an agonising death, every organ in her body poisoned. My Father died not knowing who he was or who I was due to his brain being ruined by Alzheimers. I will not put up with anyone telling me how it should be. I offered my apology and you have coughed it up in my face with a load of selfish comments. Life gives us a hand we have no control over, I do not complain about the one I have been dealt, nor make pretence that I am better equipped to deal with the bad cards than some other poor soul. I am real and I talk reality. I have a shedload of goodness inside me and take offence at your selfish suggestion that I am otherwise. I am honest, and I honestly see a lack of understanding of the bigger picture in your postings.

I have faith in the Mods and Admin here deciding whether or not my comments are valid, as I said earlier, I base my replies on the way you write your posts, not on who you are. I find it sad that you are not big enough to accept that.

brandy
21-Aug-07, 01:50
scorrie, i am so sorry for your loss.. i didnt know about it.
I do understand the pain though.. and no i wont say i know how you feel. because no one does but you.
my deepest sympathy though on your loss.
and im sorry if i have upset you more in such a hard time.
lets just forget the last few things said if we can.
what i wrote in the last post wasnt anything to do with you personally.
it was meant more to the effect that i was thankful that i am able to bear it easier than some who couldnt.. like a first time mother or a very fragile person.
we are all fragile at these times. and bleed very easily.

Mad1man
21-Aug-07, 02:10
I was on the receiving end at school in the early 70's like a lot of others. I was more afraid of the parent's reaction when they found out than I was afraid of being belted. My mother, like many others, has a look that makes me feel about 1 inch high.

I don't think I'd want to see it back, but, the teachers and the kids who are not causing problems deserve a better system to deal with those who disrupt classes and take chances learn away from their classmates.

It is my understanding that schools find it almost impossible to permanently exclude really bad youngsters today. The idea being that by excluding them the school are taking away that young persons right to an education. - I feel sorry for the people who have to take these young men and women back into theirs classes and try to do the best for all of the pupils in a class.

Lolabelle
21-Aug-07, 06:42
There definately needs to be some sort of deterent to get children under control in schools, at the moment I personally see none and I do not see why a child who is willing to learn and wants to learn should be held back educationally by another child who is determined to undermine the teachers authority and disrupt classes so that no other child can learn. I know of a child who was so out of control in primary 1 that they were removed from the school, the other children got no peace and were constantly being asaulted. Obviously that problem lays at the feet of the parent but when the child goes into school what is there to make them behave????

My sister is just in the process of moving her son, in kindergarten, to another school because of a disruptive student. My sister's boy had been going along fine until this child was moved to his school from another school for being too disruptive and fighting. Expelled at 5??? [disgust]
He palled up with my nephew and then he started having behavioural problems. My sister went to the school to do reading groups to monitor the situation, and eventually felt it would be in her son's best interest to move him to another school. The teachers were unable to do anything with this child, or about the situation. I think the real problem is with the lack of discipline at home.

Tristan
21-Aug-07, 07:33
I think the real problem is with the lack of discipline at home.
Could not have said it better myself. Children spend around 1/10 of their time at school the rest at home - who do you think has more of an impact on shaping their behaviour?

Thumper
21-Aug-07, 09:10
Lack of disipline at home certainly has a lot to do with how the youth of today turn out.A lot of parents use the time out,naughty step,or other sanctions to try to disipline their child and I am in no way saying that it doesn't work....for some!A lot of children just NEED a stricter disipline regime.I am against the child being excluded from school for a while as punishment because most of the older kids that have done something to merit punishment are delighted to have a couple of weeks extra off school!There is NO shame in exclusion nowadays whereas in my days not only would you be embarrassed about it you would probably be black and blue from your Mam for shaming them:(.Everyone is entitiled to their own opinion on this and of course everyone's will be different but we really need to find some way of making the youth of today have concequenses (bad spelling I know) for what they do x

scorrie
21-Aug-07, 13:44
scorrie, i am so sorry for your loss.. i didnt know about it.
I do understand the pain though.. and no i wont say i know how you feel. because no one does but you.
my deepest sympathy though on your loss.
and im sorry if i have upset you more in such a hard time.
lets just forget the last few things said if we can.
what i wrote in the last post wasnt anything to do with you personally.
it was meant more to the effect that i was thankful that i am able to bear it easier than some who couldnt.. like a first time mother or a very fragile person.
we are all fragile at these times. and bleed very easily.

Hi Brandy, I agree that it is best to forget what has been said here. As I said before, I reply to the post, rather than the poster. I am sorry for anything that you took personally, that was not my intention. I aim to provide food for thought, nothing more. I believe that you are a good person and your opinion is as important as anyone else's. All the best, David.

JAWS
21-Aug-07, 13:59
You seem to be a very aggressive person, always on about laying into people and you have mentioned torture on several occasions.

Much to learn about tolerance and forgiveness in my opinion.
Sounds like a personal comment aimed at the poster on not what the poster said to me.

scorrie
21-Aug-07, 16:49
Sounds like a personal comment aimed at the poster on not what the poster said to me.

Mmm, apologies have been made by both sides. The matter is closed. If you want to stir the sharn then please look elsewhere.

mccaugm
21-Aug-07, 20:51
I was in primary school when the belt was banned. When I went to the Academy, my metalwork teacher hit my bum with a metal ruler. He called this getting your stripes. Corporal, sergeant etc..every time you got a "stripe".

He was sacked ten years ago...for making derogatory comments about children. )

What I as a pupil, did not realise at the time,[evil] I was at school, is that he should have been sacked for what happened to myself and fellow pupils.

JAWS
21-Aug-07, 22:12
Mmm, apologies have been made by both sides. The matter is closed. If you want to stir the sharn then please look elsewhere.Simply an observation and nothing more.

scorrie
22-Aug-07, 09:59
Simply an observation and nothing more.

There was absolutely no need for you to make any "observation"
I had already made it clear what my intentions were and had apologised. To pass comment AFTER that is down to either "Chanty Wrassling" or sheer ingnorance.

Sandra_B
22-Aug-07, 12:29
Bring back the belt, if children behave in school they have no reason to worry about it.

floyed
23-Aug-07, 16:45
I think they belt should be brought back. Children get away with to much now a days, righting lines and being expelled mean nothing to them.

oldmarine
23-Aug-07, 17:24
I think they belt should be brought back. Children get away with to much now a days, righting lines and being expelled mean nothing to them.

I deserved the belt when I was a student hell-raiser and I deserved it. At least as I now look back I realise I got what I deserved. Fortunately my children never got the belt. I like to to think they were good children. I cannot speak for their children, but I believe they were also taught how to behave and not get the belt or anything equivalent.