PDA

View Full Version : Who is your favorite Author/Book??

floyed
20-Aug-07, 11:37
There is nothing i like better than to curl up in bed with a good book. I love reading all sorts thrillers, crime, romance, horror anything really:D

So Orger's who is you favorite Author?? what's your favorite book??

My favorites are - Stephen King, Martina Cole, Jeffery Deaver (The Empty Chair), James Herbert (The Others).

Kingetter
20-Aug-07, 11:55
All time favourite - Canadians will likely know it -

"The Boat Who Wouldn't Float" by Farley Mowatt -

http://www.mostlyfiction.com/humor/mowat.htm

James.

trix
20-Aug-07, 11:55
well, ats funny floyed. ma taste is very similiar til yers!! martina cole is devo ma fave. iv just bot her most recent one but iv lent it oot til a pal. steven king, james herbert. iv come across a new author called jody piccolti i think her name is. her book salem falls is a cracker.
no long feneshed e godfather which wis something else asweell.

Anne x
20-Aug-07, 12:02
Moons a Baloon --David Niven started me off on my love of reading autobiographies many years ago

everyday fiction Kathy Kelly etc

johno
20-Aug-07, 12:09
my favourate author is David Thorburn. he has penned all the clydesdale bank £20 notes.[lol] honestly though i dont really read books.

bluelady
20-Aug-07, 12:14
im into Lillian Harry books at e mo. I also like reading books on history and war, makes me appreciate todays lifestyle more. i do admire e commaradeship and e way people made do with e best that they had

nanoo
20-Aug-07, 12:18
I actually read quite a varied selection but my all time favourites are ' The Belgariad' this is a set of 5 books followed about 10 years later by ' the Mallorean' which is 5 books again. They are written by David Eddings, They are similar to ' Lord of the rings' which i also love but i have to say in my opinion the other 10 books are much much more exciting to read. :)

NLP
20-Aug-07, 14:19
Stephen King, James Herbert, Catherine Cookson and Josephine Cox a mixed bunch

erli
20-Aug-07, 15:02
My favourite book ever would have to be, "To Kill A Mockingbird" by Harper Lee or "Of Mice and Men" by John Steinbeck.
My favourite author is James Patterson but I will read pretty much anything by anyone, except romance stories.

Buttercup
20-Aug-07, 15:39
Just love Catherine Cookson, Doris Davidson, E V Thompson and Linda K Hubalek. But also enjoy Dee Brown and John Prebble for history.:lol:

Big Jean
20-Aug-07, 15:48
While I don't have a favourite author, I do like a good mystery. Second to that would be any biography.
I did enjoy reading The Forsyte Saga books by John Galsworthy, years ago, and re-read again just recently .

jsherris
20-Aug-07, 16:56
I've always been an avid reader, and have a diverse taste in authors - from Stephen King to Ian Rankin to Terry Pratchett. I'm not keen on romance stories, but I like stories that are humourous, and can poke fun at ourselves as a race - probably why I like Terry Pratchett - his humour is far above kids heads!

Books I'm reading now: Just starting out on the Dark Tower Stephen King series.

Anyway, my fave book/s of all time...
Fluke - James Herbert
The Unborn - David Shobin
Fave book as a kid & still treasured now: Heidi by Johanna Spyri.And loved The Hobbit & Lord of the Rings as a kid, although I never read the Silmarillion until much later.

And of course Charles Dickens - my main staple when I was a very young teen.

Julie

Ricco
20-Aug-07, 20:33
My favourite author would be Tolkein and my all time favourite book would be Lord of the Rings. Having said that I also like Bernard Cornwell's novels set in the Anglo-French wars (not Sharp, but earlier) and his Arthurian trilogy. I also like Trudi Canavan's Black Magician trilogy. Then there is Dan Brown.... :roll:

horseman
20-Aug-07, 21:26
My dad started me off with his 'westerns',mum made sure we all joined the library, so reading became a habit.
Soon came across dennis wheatley,wow-been a lot of words under the bridge since then
Now stuck on patrick o'brien.

ks
20-Aug-07, 21:41
My favourite books have to be the Rebus novels by Ian Rankin, just started re-reading them and they are great!

Kingetter
21-Aug-07, 07:17
Given a second (and third choice) I'd go for James A Michener and also, the magic of Jonathan Livingstone Seagull by Richard Bach.

James.

Jill
21-Aug-07, 21:30
Another Stephen King fan here - I think the first book I read of his was The Shining (far superior to the film!) and there are few of his I have not enjoyed. I also like Ruth Rendell's books (though some of the earlier ones are very dated now). I am currently reading lots of Jill Mansell books - I particularly enjoyed "solo". If you get into a particular author then do go to the library and order in their books - they can get hold of almost anything for you!

Kenn
21-Aug-07, 22:20
My favourite book is "Pride and Prejudice," by Jane Austen it's a good reflection of society even today.
Next would be "The Ring Saga," by Tolkein.
For lighter reading anything by Terry Pratchett, "The Brentford Triangle," series and for a good yarn, Hamond Innes especially his ones about the sea and sailing.
For serious moments, "The Seven Pillars of Wisdom," by T.E Lawrence.
I am a hoarder of books although nothing stays on the shelf if it has been read as least twice which means my collection only totals about 500!