PDA

View Full Version : Holidays in around about half an hour! Where are you off?

mike.mckenzie
22-Jul-05, 16:43
This year I am going to Venice for a few nightswith my lovely girlfriend, and then on to France with my kids! Got a little house near the beach near Le Touquet!

Where are you lot off to then?

George Brims
22-Jul-05, 18:16
Invernsnecky, with side trips to Week and Belfast!

unicorn
22-Jul-05, 18:56
Icmiler in Turkiye for 2 weeks in October 3rd visit to same place :D love it :D

squidge
22-Jul-05, 19:49
i was in france already -just got back last weekend fabby time was had by all

hereboy
22-Jul-05, 19:54
going to New York in 2 weeks.... particularly looking forward to the random backpack searches - yummy!

Planning to take in a Broadway show and all that jazz.....

DrSzin
22-Jul-05, 20:11
Backpacks? Nah, they're more interested in whether Brits have bombs in their shoes. Well, they were a few months ago -- maybe things have changed in the last fortnight.

It was horrible flying into Kennedy Airport from the south for the first time since before 9/11. Seeing the south end of Manhattan without the twin towers was one of the most horrible creepy feelings I've ever had. I managed to point out where they used to stand to my son as we looked out the window, but it was dashed hard to keep my composure...

Whoops, I am off on a tangent again, and there's nowhere comfortable to sleep on tangents.

I was away in NE England for a few days last week; going to west highlands and/or islands in a couple of weeks -- weather permitting. Probably won't make it up as far as Caithness. :(

allie
22-Jul-05, 21:34
I have just spend a lovely week in Whitby. I visited the abbey and church on the headland, went on the North Yorkshire Steam Railway from Grosmont to Goathland - visited Aidensfield Arms, stores and Scripps Garage, then on to Pickering and back. Went to Camp Eden, the WW11 museum, visited Robin Hoods Bay - what a lovely place.
Next week I'm going to Blackpool and in October, I'm off to Las Vegas.

weeboyagee
24-Jul-05, 11:36
Canada here I come!.....Toronto. 11 days and counting! Canna wait - malcolmdog, the beer better be still in the fridge! ;)

scotsboy
24-Jul-05, 13:58
Invernsnecky, with side trips to Week and Belfast!

Did you use the Easyjet service from Inverness to Belfast, George?

Margaret M.
24-Jul-05, 14:39
Did you use the Easyjet service from Inverness to Belfast, George?
You read my mind, Scotsboy. I just checked the price of a fare from Inverness to Belfast and it is 1.49 outbound and 12.99 return trip. I cannot believe it!! How can they possibly offer such cheap fares? Which airline flies from Inverness to Zurich?

mike.mckenzie
10-Aug-05, 16:51
Well I'm back, Venice weather was great, 40 degrees C, loved it! Hopped on the water boats to keep cool and went out to Lido to lie about on the beach, crackin.

Weather in Northern France wasn't the greatest, had a couple of nice days when we went to Berck and then again when we did a day trip to Paris (my younger son kept calling it the Eiffel State Building, very cute!). Still it was very restful, in a small wooden house cut off from the hustle and bustle of city life. Great.

hereboy
10-Aug-05, 18:22
just back from NY last night - never saw a single bobby on the subway or had my backpack searched once... which was nice.

Rheghead
10-Aug-05, 18:43
going to New York in 2 weeks.... particularly looking forward to the random backpack searches - yummy!

Planning to take in a Broadway show and all that jazz.....

did you take a compass with you, it's a jungle out there. Honestly, they are useful when you come out of subway stations.

cullbucket
10-Aug-05, 20:34
Good to see you back Hereboy....
I got back from 2 weeks in Thurso in July when it rained pretty much every day - so much for summer holidays.
No sign of subways in Thurso so my guardian angels outfit stayed in the suitcase.
I heard New York is full of weirdos - everytime you see some S and M thing in the 'papers' its always some place in the Big Aippil - was that what you were up to???

hereboy
11-Aug-05, 04:12
rheghead,

no need for a compass - I just headed off in any direction and within half a block I was alright for a MacDonalds and a Starbucks. Its a jungle right enough - with 10 dollar moody prada and luis vuitton handbags growing on the sidewalks...

cullbucket,

weirdos indeed, I had a pint of guinness in a pub called the dog and biscuit or something like that in Greenwich Village across from where Bob used to bide - here we go though - a bloke with his belly sticking out like he is preggers, a boob tube, leg warmers and daisy dukes on walking a whippet strolls past ... at 1.30 in the morning. I have seen chancers walking whippets up north right enough but this cheel was the full cheese. The place is like a cross between Watten and Lybster with the weather of Aboyne.

as for S and M is that Stovies and Milk? If so, aye Big Aippel, me, S and M.

The best part was walking about the place talking like Joe Pesci and getting deeks from the Brooklynites.

Hey Tony, go make me a meatball sambwich.

Funny thing is - I fitted in.

Oh and one more thing - they know how to part you from your money. $3.80 for a glass of coke in Times Square. Dick Turpin wore a mask etc. and its all ice.

zappster
11-Aug-05, 18:30
Went to Benalmadena ..Costa del sol & it was magic..I'd go back to the same hotel in a flash... air conditioning wiz at good ed hed us wishin we 'd taken wur ganzies way us :lol: