PDA

View Full Version : Now I know why we garden

veekay
18-Aug-07, 16:50
I have discovered why so many of you break your backs gardening. I planted potatoes and have just eaten a few of the result. WOW they were just lovely I am now determined to do better next year.

changilass
18-Aug-07, 16:52
he he Veekay, no going back now lol

sassylass
18-Aug-07, 16:55
aaaaaaaand another one hooked [lol]

nannydip
18-Aug-07, 16:58
It's a great feeling of accomplishment when you "eat the fruit of your labour". :D

veekay
18-Aug-07, 17:45
Yes sassylass well and truely hooked. I am looking through books I have had for an age planning next years planting ( listen to me I sound as if I know what I am talking about!) Don't think I will try anything too ambitious but hey in for a penny.

By the way when do I pull up my leeks to cook?

justine
18-Aug-07, 18:02
i am with you. we started ours a couple of weeks ago and i managed to get the kids to eat them aswell...Coated only in butter...So much nicer without the price.....am waiting for the veg to be readuy so i can have a good old traditional sunday lunch, meat veg and tatties...with gravy and yorkshire pud of course....

lynne duncan
19-Aug-07, 14:10
tatties are nearly half done, peas never make the house the bairns just help themselves outside, broccoli (1st year trying) is ready, and the sweetcorn i think is ready in the greenhouse. only thing that didn't work tihs year was the watermelons couldn't get them to set. will try again next year
not a bad year for the veg just not a great year to sit outside and relax

justine
19-Aug-07, 14:25
tatties are nearly half done, peas never make the house the bairns just help themselves outside, broccoli (1st year trying) is ready, and the sweetcorn i think is ready in the greenhouse. only thing that didn't work tihs year was the watermelons couldn't get them to set. will try again next year
not a bad year for the veg just not a great year to sit outside and relax
hi lynne,
I could not get the watermelon to take this year.Bad weather but i am gonna try next yr,get them well established in the house first....My broccoli has a little way to go and the sweetcorn needs all the help it can get...I have cauli,leeks onions, beetroot, carrots and i hope that they will be ready soon as i want to get pickling.....Taste so much better when you grow it yourself.....