PDA

View Full Version : Remembering the Past....

justine
18-Aug-07, 13:41
As some may know and for those that dont 20 yrs ago a man walked up and down a street in a small village in England shooting poeple...I was 17 when this happened and remember clearly...My heart goes to all those that died and to the families.To those that survived the madness...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/berkshire/6947883.stm

The big question is why the heck he did this.we all know what the reasons were for his madness but i dont think we can really understand why...

nanoo
18-Aug-07, 14:22
Yes Justine, i remember that day too, it all sounded so sureal that some one could do such a terrible thing and all those innocent lives taken. I never thought then that just a few short years later another terrible tragedy would unfold at Dunblane. It's a blessing we can't see into the future and we just have to handle it as it comes along.

justine
18-Aug-07, 14:42
Yes Justine, i remember that day too, it all sounded so sureal that some one could do such a terrible thing and all those innocent lives taken. I never thought then that just a few short years later another terrible tragedy would unfold at Dunblane. It's a blessing we can't see into the future and we just have to handle it as it comes along.

Hi nanoo...It is hard to believe what kind of things goes through someones mind..As for the dunblane massacre that has got to be the worst of the worst. Innocent children gunned down by a man who had no reason to take out his warped mind on the innocent...I could not imagine what it must have been like to be a parent of those children on that fateful day...
If only we could see into the future, things like that could be prevented....

JAWS
18-Aug-07, 15:03
I decided a long time ago simply to accept that occasionally that sort of incident, or something similar to them, will happen. I doubt anybody will ever know with any certainty what is going on in such a person's head.

The only difference between those people and any other multiple murderers is simply a matter of time and openness. Where the usual multiple murderer carries out his/her murders over a period of weeks, months or even years and out of sight of the public those murderers do it in a very public manner and in a matter of minutes or in some cases hours.

Getting to know what is happening in their minds at the time of the incident is just academic. The thing which needs to be known is what needs to be spotted well prior to the incident which distinguishes their behaviour from that of other people.

What needs to be learned is when, “I’m going to kill … whoever!” should be taken as a notice of intent rather than a casual off-hand comment. Usually, when people look at the persons behaviour prior to the outburst of killing, there are indications that their behaviour gave signs that things were going wrong. That is what needs to be recognised because by the time they flip over into action it is far too late.

bluelady
20-Aug-07, 12:53
i originally came fae Berkshire and i know the woman shot dead in e forest, she was my ward sister on one of e wards I trained in during my nursing career. Although I had left that particular ward a while before e shooting, I still visited now and again and was shocked to hear her name on e news.:( She had been picnicing in the forest with her children and when she heard e shooting and saw him coming, she bravely put her kids in e car and locked them in. Wether he saw them ot not we dont know, but it saved their lives.
We watched the end of e seige on TV, at first it was thought he was on e move to other parts of Berkshire and Hungerford was cut off.
Sadly thats what parts of the world are coming to. In December I took a friend from Wick back to Berkshire for a family party as she had met family members when they visited. It was a shock to her to hear police sirens going off night and day and cars racing around etc.:(