PDA

View Full Version : Are there foxes in wick.......

justine
18-Aug-07, 13:27
well the reason i would like to find out is because as some people may know by now i had one of my precious baby bunnies stolen. After having spoken to the police who wont treat it as a theft because they believe that they poor creature was taken by a fox.I have been here three yrs and have never seen a fox yet. I am not saying that there are no foxes, but i find it hard to believe that the fox went for the one baby bunny leaving all the others alone...I think it is just the polices way of getting out of helping me with this.....:eek:

Bradcon
18-Aug-07, 13:29
Well I have never seen any either.

Will be interesting to see if anyone else has had any sightings.

donnalee1994
18-Aug-07, 13:47
We have foxes where i am in the open so dont no about wick but deff wouldnt have been a fox as a fox will kill all even it doesnt take them all we had chickens and it only took 2 but killed the other 5 [evil] so i would say it wasnt a fox just someone wanting a free bunny.

corgiman
18-Aug-07, 13:52
a baby rabbit can easily be taken by a fox an owl or even a cat sadly all these animals will also manage an adult but will take the easiest first.Thats why I always advise people to replace turn latches on hutches with hasps and padlocks as anything with paws can open them very easily. Foxes can also break open chicken wire with very little effort so I use heavy guage wire on my hutches. Foxes have been known by breeders all over the UK to take rabbits I actually know one breeder who was grooming a bunny on top of a hutch, she nipped into the kitchen to grab a spray bottle and a fox was making off with her bunny in its mouth that fast.

justine
18-Aug-07, 13:56
i agree that any animal can do this but there is no damage, no fur and i am sure that it was not an animal...I have seen what they can do and there are no signs that it was.I am just curious to find out if we do have foxes in wick as the police man that i spoke to says he has seen loads of them within 200yrd out of wick in either direction....

rangers1873
18-Aug-07, 14:05
justine your rabbit has been stolen ,and you would probably know yourself if it had escaped as there would be a hole dug or it would of escaped through a hole in the chicken wire, i take it there was no holes in the mesh it could of escaped through, as for it being taken by a fox what a load of rubbish. there is to many farms, crofts on the outskirts of wick for it to get its meals that it would not need to come into the town, ive lived in wick for 39 years and have never heard of a fox being in wick. this is probaly the police telling you that so they would not have to follow it up.

justine
18-Aug-07, 14:13
justine your rabbit has been stolen ,and you would probably know yourself if it had escaped as there would be a hole dug or it would of escaped through a hole in the chicken wire, i take it there was no holes in the mesh it could of escaped through, as for it being taken by a fox what a load of rubbish. there is to many farms, crofts on the outskirts of wick for it to get its meals that it would not need to come into the town, ive lived in wick for 39 years and have never heard of a fox being in wick. this is probaly the police telling you that so they would not have to follow it up.

I am pretty sure that it is not a fox or any other creature for that matter, except a tall man like one who can open locked doors, the enclosures are fenced off over 1m high, the wire is dug down and as solid as can be. There are no holes in the wire and even if she had managed to get out it would have been into another enclosure as there are four in a row attached to eachother, which you have to open each door to get in..I know foxes can jump but it would have gone for the first one not the third along that housed mum and baby, and it certainly would not have left mum alone.,i am sure that i would have found traces of fur...I knew that it was not a fox and i knew that the police were just having the reaction of we have more important things to do other than look for your rabbit....This was a police man who has just come to caithness. I just wish they had taken me seriously as each day goes by the less likely the chance of getting her back...

JAWS
18-Aug-07, 14:16
If it had been a fox I don't think there would be any doubt about it.

dirdyweeker
18-Aug-07, 14:18
I am just curious to find out if we do have foxes in wick as the police man that i spoke to says he has seen loads of them within 200yrd out of wick in either direction....

Fox has been known to visit and kill the birds at Broadhaven (down at 'the ducks')

johno
18-Aug-07, 14:50
Hi Justine the copper was right there are foxes all around Wick,and given your location you,r in a prime spot for them . ive seen them myself, but in your case i reckon your looking for the two legged kind. there,s plenty o them about just now. hope the kid,s get their pet back.
:~(

porshiepoo
18-Aug-07, 15:38
My cats are always killing and bringing home dead bunnies :(.
The wild variety though!

The Angel Of Death
19-Aug-07, 20:05
a tall man like one who can open locked doors

More commenly known as a pikey you know the ones that can open any door no problems :grin:

But i have seen quite a few foxes mashed along the road just before haster so its possible that there could be some near wick however as most have said if it was a fox then it wouldnt just take the one and left the rest

bluelady
20-Aug-07, 12:30
do e enclosures have roofs on? if not it could have been an owl or similar, to take one at random from a random hutch. But would his mummy put up a fuss or not, i dont know rabbits habits. We once had a bunny taken out of his enclosure, no signs of entry, no fur, blood or anything, it just vanished without trace. Our garden we had then would have been difficult to get in and out of. He had a hatch with an enclosed run which was half roofed. i dont think a fox would be that brave or as you said selective, so its either a bird, or another two legged being, hope its the latter though and you find it. goodluck :)

dook
20-Aug-07, 19:07
Sounds very much like a cat especially as the rabbits are small. Makes sense as it is the second leveret to go. That'll explain why there aren't any marks etc.

As for foxes in Wick, definately. Change of habitats. It's a lot easier eating from bins than having to hunt. There's a young one in the town by the distillery.

justine
20-Aug-07, 20:48
Sounds very much like a cat especially as the rabbits are small. Makes sense as it is the second leveret to go. That'll explain why there aren't any marks etc.

As for foxes in Wick, definately. Change of habitats. It's a lot easier eating from bins than having to hunt. There's a young one in the town by the distillery.

clever cats that can open hutch doors without a key.......:eek:

corgiman
20-Aug-07, 20:50
well if the hutches were padlocked and bunnies were in them there is no doubt at all that it was a person

connieb19
20-Aug-07, 20:52
clever cats that can open hutch doors without a key.......:eek:
How would a stranger be able to open padlocks without a key without causing any damage?

dook
20-Aug-07, 20:55
My apologies. I did not realise the hutch was locked. How did the policemans "fox" manage to unlock it? Surely a glaring discrepancy in his logic.

George Brims
20-Aug-07, 23:23
When I was growing up in Watten there was a cat in Achingale Place that could open rabbit hutches and take rabbits. Embarrassingly, it was our cat!

Where I live now, we have coyotes and Raccoons, so the cat itself can be prey if it goes out at night!

paris
21-Aug-07, 08:58
Ive also seen fox`s in wick, well i say wick but im talking on route back to Lybster. There was a family of 7 fox`s living at the back of our place in lybster and one day distroyed all 25 of my chooks.:( Took it about 3 mins to do it as well ! jan x

dook
21-Aug-07, 10:04
When I was growing up in Watten there was a cat in Achingale Place that could open rabbit hutches and take rabbits. Embarrassingly, it was our cat!

Where I live now, we have coyotes and Raccoons, so the cat itself can be prey if it goes out at night!

You up in Kennedy Terrace now?

justine
21-Aug-07, 13:01
How would a stranger be able to open padlocks without a key without causing any damage?

No body said there was not any damage, the police would not even come up and see for them selves. They just put it to foxes...

connieb19
21-Aug-07, 14:45
i agree that any animal can do this but there is no damage
Sorry, I must have misunderstood when you said this :confused

justine
21-Aug-07, 18:04
Sorry, I must have misunderstood when you said this :confused

Thats ok connieb19, i have not put all the facts about it on here for obvious reasons, but every night all bunnies are housed in their own hutches locked and bedded down for the night...I started this as the police would not even come up and have a look, as they were to busy with other things and put it to foxes...Which i know not to be true, but i thought i would ask if there were foxes as i have never seen any, but i am going to be making adjustments to my enclosures to make sure that foxes or any other creature 2 or 4 legged can get in....I just wish i could get her back....

LENSMAN
21-Aug-07, 18:20
Saw a fox knocked down at the side of the road last year beside the Hydro building, Thurso road.