PDA

View Full Version : sewing machine

changilass
16-Aug-07, 23:07
Got a sewing machine from my mum, cant seem to get the tension right on it, either too tight at the top or at the bottom and end up with loops in the sewing so I can pull the stitching out.

Anyone know is this a serious problem and who can I get to look at it.

Thanks

Rheghead
17-Aug-07, 00:38
Have you got the right foot for the job?

Kenn
17-Aug-07, 00:40
Got 1 here exactly the same, if it's not breaking the needles it's doing kangaroo hops on the stitching!
If you find a repair person let me know, PLEASE.

Ricco
17-Aug-07, 07:57
We have the same problem with ours. I'll be glad to know of a solution.

horseman
17-Aug-07, 08:32
Got a sewing machine from my mum, cant seem to get the tension right on it, either too tight at the top or at the bottom and end up with loops in the sewing so I can pull the stitching out.

Anyone know is this a serious problem and who can I get to look at it.

Thanks

sSoon as my wife gets up I will put her your way,an don't take that the wrong way (jonno an co) mrs h is usually well up on this prob!:)

changilass
17-Aug-07, 09:25
Cheers Horseman, I've jsut bought a load of material from ebay to make covers for the trailer tent so want to get going on them if possible.

Any help at all would be great, just want to know if it can be saved or if it has to go to the tip.

porshiepoo
17-Aug-07, 09:30
This may sound silly and / or obvious but check that you have the thing threaded up right.
Also if you have the manual check the top and bottom tension levels are correct fot the type of material you are using. If you don't have the manuals go online and you'll probably find one free.

All I can think of.

Hope all goes well.

jsherris
17-Aug-07, 10:07
Hi Changilass,
Porshiepoo's right - My trusted machine worked like a dream... until a 'friend' borrowed it!

When I tried to use it a few weeks ago, it wouldn't stitch, kept knotting from the bobbin, etc - oh, did I curse! It turned out that I adjusted everyting back to default... apart from the bottom tension - oh my!

Anyway, pull all the cotton out & start from scratch.
Firstly, while it's empty, make sure everywhere is clear & you haven't got loose thread twisted around, especially underneath. Oil anywhere that needs it - wipe off excess oil - you don't want it on your fabric!
Check that your bottom bobbin is full and that you are using standard thread & the same top & bottom. (Heavy thread with standard needles & light cloth can cause stitching problems too)
Now, this is going to be hard to describe, but make sure that when you put the bobbin in the holder, it's in the right way - make sure the thread runs off the bobbin & straight out - not doubling back on itself. (It shouldn't make a lot of difference, but it can!)
Right, then make sure that you've threaded the cotton around all the little loops & behind the thread holder at the needle. Is the needle a standard size? Is it bent? Sometimes, that can have an effect. If you use a standard needle with heavy cloth, or a heavy needle with light cloth, that can also give stitching problems.
Now, make sure that ALL the settings are at the 'default' setting - that is, everything is set in the middle. Now double check again! You need to check the top tension, bottom tension AND the stitch length!
Make sure you have it set to a straight stitch and have the needle set in the centre, and using a piece of the material you're going to use, try a few lines - slowly..... is the fabric feed underneath moving the fabric along? How is the cotton moving on the top of the machine? Smoothly or is it jerking? Is the cotton running free from the top or is it tight?

If all is well, then you've cracked it & sometimes sewing machines have a life of their own! If not, then have a look for a repair shop & have a service maybe?

Hope that helps!
If it doesn't, just pretend I wasn't here...... ;)
Julie
x

Lolabelle
17-Aug-07, 10:12
I bought a new machine and it was doing the tight/loopy thing and I fiddled with the tension and this, that and the other. Solution, it wasn't threaded right. Go through the book and check that you have the bobbin right and the the correct path for the thread. As good as any place to start. And set the tension to where the book says. In other words, start again! ;)

NLP
17-Aug-07, 11:17
When I was a machinist this happened a lot try adjusting the tension that should help play with it until you get it right as for the bottom tension I used to adjust that by turning the screw in the bobbin just a little. My own sewing machine was great until I let someone use it never again is anyone but me touching it.

changilass
17-Aug-07, 21:17
Thanks all for your replies, but as I have tried them all and it still aint working I think it might have to go to the sewing machine crematorium :(

Marty McFly
18-Aug-07, 15:01
Try "SEWCO", based just outside Evanton....they do repairs and servicing on sewing machines and overlockers.
You can get them on 01349 830930. They should be able to get your machine back working again no problem!

changilass
18-Aug-07, 15:12
Cheers Marty, have just called them, they charge £45 for a service and seem to think it will work after that, just have to see when I can get down now, they have a 10 day turn around so will have to make a couple of trips, but if it gets the thing working it will be worth it.