PDA

View Full Version : What A Difference A Day Makes.......

jsherris
16-Aug-07, 22:28
Well, where do I start tonight??

OK, you all know hubby is looking for a job, (at the right money & the right distance, etc etc) right?

Well, he got a call yesterday & had a chat with a real nice lady from an agency - she said she had a company who would jump at the chance to have Andy's job skills, and would he mind having a telephone interview because of the distance...... He said that would be great.... she told him the salary & hours & benefits.... absolutely magic - we couldn't believe the job package, it's amazing!
12 hour shifts - permanent nights - sun, mon, tues night each week. That's it.... Loads of time off!!

Now, the one big problem...... it's not in Caithness.... it's not even in Scotland... it's in Southern Ireland! And I've not even got a valid passport!

So for the next 4 to 6 weeks, we got to get packed, find a house & get gone! And just in case, he's got in touch with another couple of agencies over there & today he's in line for about 8 jobs - he's lost his marbles, I know he has!

In all seriousness though, we can still do the country house thing - there's oodles of houses out there for rent at prices you wouldn't believe & the wages for his job skills are so much higher than here, we'd be fools not to give it a try.

From the very bottom of my heart, I would like to thank you all, for making me feel welcome to your board. I would also like to ask you all if it's ok to pop up for our holidays, just because I don't think I would like to miss out on all the things I researched so very carefully!
And I still owe a few of you a beer or two!

And, as the title says.... What a difference a day makes!
Julie
xx

Lolabelle
16-Aug-07, 23:30
That's fantastic, congratulations to you and your husband. It's a shame it's not Caithness,but who knows what the future holds. All the best. :D

anneoctober
17-Aug-07, 00:14
Well, where do I start tonight??

OK, you all know hubby is looking for a job, (at the right money & the right distance, etc etc) right?

Well, he got a call yesterday & had a chat with a real nice lady from an agency - she said she had a company who would jump at the chance to have Andy's job skills, and would he mind having a telephone interview because of the distance...... He said that would be great.... she told him the salary & hours & benefits.... absolutely magic - we couldn't believe the job package, it's amazing!
12 hour shifts - permanent nights - sun, mon, tues night each week. That's it.... Loads of time off!!

Now, the one big problem...... it's not in Caithness.... it's not even in Scotland... it's in Southern Ireland! And I've not even got a valid passport!

So for the next 4 to 6 weeks, we got to get packed, find a house & get gone! And just in case, he's got in touch with another couple of agencies over there & today he's in line for about 8 jobs - he's lost his marbles, I know he has!

In all seriousness though, we can still do the country house thing - there's oodles of houses out there for rent at prices you wouldn't believe & the wages for his job skills are so much higher than here, we'd be fools not to give it a try.

From the very bottom of my heart, I would like to thank you all, for making me feel welcome to your board. I would also like to ask you all if it's ok to pop up for our holidays, just because I don't think I would like to miss out on all the things I researched so very carefully!
And I still owe a few of you a beer or two!

And, as the title says.... What a difference a day makes!
Julie
xx
congrats to your Andy, julie. We hope you'll still stay in touch via the Org. It 'd be nice to know if you manage to marry off your baby!! You're posts have been thought provoking, even if I have n't agreed with some of them. I guess this means that I'll not have the 2 Sue's up to help with the garden?:(..................... johno get out your "Irish" jokes. [lol]

horseman
17-Aug-07, 07:39
Delighted for you all Julie,but please keep in touch :)

NLP
17-Aug-07, 11:10
Good news let us know how you get on in Ireland

jsherris
17-Aug-07, 11:50
Thank you to everyone! And thanks to all of you who sent me pm's too - I'm quite surprised, but I'm also very touched by your kind words.

I will stay around - maybe not as much as I intended to do, but Andy's promised that once we're all done & moved, we will definitely be over next Summer (if we have one!) for an explore & a meet up with you all!

In the meantime, I have also started a blog on the step by step of how we are tackling all this..... if any of you fancy a nosy, it's at: myspace.com/juliesherris (There's some pics on there too, just so you all know what you're missing out on! ;))

I thought it would be nice to keep a record & have a look back later..... then me & Andy can sit & say 'we should have done this..... we ought to have done that'... etc etc!!

Julie
xx

Thumper
17-Aug-07, 11:55
jsherris, congrats on the move!Was looking at your location quote and maybe you knew more than you thought when you put it down cos you were hoping for Caithness but now your off to Ireland!I have always wanted to visit Ireland and lots of people say it looks a lot like Caithness does so maybe it will be the best move you ever make.Good Luck and don't forget the orgers :) x

Manxman
17-Aug-07, 11:59
Best of luck. Ireland is great. Smashing Guiness too.

Enjoy

BRIE
17-Aug-07, 12:11
thats fantastic news Julie!! hope all goes well for you all & do give us a shout when you come up on holiday.:D
my dads best friend moved out there a few years ago & loves it.

laguna2
17-Aug-07, 12:45
Congratulations and good luck.

We have been in Southern Ireland Ireland twice and it is a beautiful country with lovely people.

bluelady
18-Aug-07, 11:53
Congratulations, im sure you'll love southern Ireland, have been there many times, Donegal, Kincasslagh,Dungloe, and travelled all over seeing many places. The west coast is very similar to Caithness, including e wind[lol] and then of course there's Dublin, we love Dublin my daughter and me. We go whenever we can afford it,so much to see and do, take a tour bus, its quite reasonably priced and if you get a good driver its such a craic. The people are lovely and friendly too and of course there are some grand shops for retail theraphy.
good luck
BL xx

Liz
18-Aug-07, 13:03
Just seen this Julie and I am delighted for you!
I was counting on you coming to Caithness though and adopting lots of cats!!!!!:lol:

Wishing you every happiness and do keep in touch with us all on the org.

badger
19-Aug-07, 10:27
Good luck to you Julie and well done to Andy for getting such a good job - sounds perfect. I'm sure you'll love Ireland. It's many years since I was there so hope the draft Guinness is as good as it used to be. At least you can still keep posting - that's one good thing about this international community.

jsherris
19-Aug-07, 11:32
................At least you can still keep posting - that's one good thing about this international community.

And I intend to do just that, Badger! I'm actually a bit disappointed NOT to be coming up there, but we will be up for our hols!

Brie - the beer's will be on us! ;)

Liz.... there's NO animal restrictions in Southern Ireland... I might just grab a few dozen furry items off you when we do get up there!

As for Andy's job... well, it sparked him off again, so he has been looking & applying all over Ireland - he'll probably make up his mind up about which one to take at the end of next week - it's great that there are so many jobs out there for him - it looks like the skill-base isn't that good over there, which obviously is fantastic for Andy!

And houses..... well, it seems that you can you can build a new house in the middle of a field, set up the services & such, and then you get large discounts off your tax - but you're not allowed to sell for 5 years... I haven't quite gotten to grips with the whole system yet, but it means that for £110 a week, we can rent a house with an acre of garden, 5 bedrooms, 5 bathrooms, fully furnished even down to the dishwasher! So, as soon as he decides the job, I'll decide the house!

In the meantime, we're all getting impatient, but I start packing this week regardless!
Catch you all later today, I'm off to take Nikki out to lunch - she's wasting away, bless her!
Julie
xx

dunderheed
19-Aug-07, 14:18
cograts julie, make sure you get a big house out there and we could all spend our holidays with you.

lynne duncan
19-Aug-07, 14:24
some say there's not much difference between there and here, keep posting and hope the move is stress free or as close as

jsherris
19-Aug-07, 14:56
cograts julie, make sure you get a big house out there and we could all spend our holidays with you.
Now, let me see..... there's myself, Andy & Kerri moving out there... yet we're looking for a 5 bed house... because I know (family) Nikki will follow eventually... Gail & Phil will be visiting with little Leah, (friends) the 2 Sue's will pop over, as will Sonia & probably Linda, and then there's you, Dunderheed...... and THAT's why I'm looking for a big house! [lol]

Mind you, I hope everyone doesn't come over at once!
That said.......Name your date! :lol:

Lynne - as stress free as we can make it - we're leaving 90% of the furniture - how good is that!

Julie
x

BRIE
20-Aug-07, 14:16
sounds like you will have enough room for me to come over a visit too julie!;)

johno
20-Aug-07, 14:51
congrats to your Andy, julie. We hope you'll still stay in touch via the Org. It 'd be nice to know if you manage to marry off your baby!! You're posts have been thought provoking, even if I have n't agreed with some of them. I guess this means that I'll not have the 2 Sue's up to help with the garden?:(..................... johno get out your "Irish" jokes. [lol]

The Maguire boys decided to buy and sell turnips and purchased a two-ton truck for the job. On the first day they bought two tons of turnips at 20p a pound and sold them at the market for the same price.

At the end of the day Sean said, 'Dermott, this is ridiculous, we've sold every turnip and haven't made a penny profit!'

'Sure I know what it is,' replied Dermott, 'we need a bigger lorry!'
Hope you will all be be very happy & prosper in paddyland. best wishes