PDA

View Full Version : Liquid Blue - CD FIRST PLAY!

Dynamic Sounds
16-Aug-07, 21:09
I have this evening been handed, hot off the press, a copy of the new CD from thw young Caithness band LIQUID BLUE!

Listen in to Caithness FM on 102.5 at 9:30 TONIGHT to hear the first play of it!

:D

Douglas Cowie
17-Aug-07, 08:14
The CD was produced by Wick Youth Club's Music Link Media workshop and is intended to raise funds for the bands trip to Dundee to play at the Ultimate Chill semi finals in Fat Sams next Friday the 24th.
The 2 tracks are Silence and Passing Time. The CD's cost £3.00 each and are availble from Wick Youth Club or by phoning 01955604192 or 01955606834. You can also buy a copy at Liquid Blue gigs, they are playing at the Black Stairs this Saturday the 18th at 9.30

Dynamic Sounds
17-Aug-07, 08:26
HI Douglas,

It is a great CD. I liked the music on it, as I hope did the people of Caithness last night.

Buy this CD guys, and help support a local group with talent that can hopefully make it big!

Best of luck in Dundee next week.

Graham

Douglas Cowie
17-Aug-07, 15:34
Thanks for that Graham, I'm sure the band will do us and Caithness proud.

elastic band
21-Aug-07, 11:39
think its good that Mr Cowie is promoting a local band but surely there is more than one band involved at the local media centre -do they not deserve some promotion and encouragement too ?

i know that myself and my friends were particularly keen supporters of Whitenoize who then changed their name to Unholy Confession and it isn't just us they had several excellent write ups in the newspaper -why is nobody promoting bands like these boys ?

Chobbersjnr
21-Aug-07, 13:15
think its good that Mr Cowie is promoting a local band but surely there is more than one band involved at the local media centre -do they not deserve some promotion and encouragement too ?

i know that myself and my friends were particularly keen supporters of Whitenoize who then changed their name to Unholy Confession and it isn't just us they had several excellent write ups in the newspaper -why is nobody promoting bands like these boys ?

there was more than one band involved & as far as I'm aware it was a competition which Liquid Blue won hence the promotion they are receiving from DS & Douglas

White Noize now Unholy Confession recently went through a line up change which obviously sets a band back just a touch. I heard their 1st gig with the new line up & have to say was fairly impressed. Not my thing but credit where it's due & all.

Obviously the other bands deserve some promotion etc etc but in this case Liquid Blue won therefore Liquid Blue get the mention & Liquid Blue go to Dundee & hopefully show them what for & win that heat & then Liquid Blue get spoken about even more & hopefully (because they're ace) Liquid Blue will keep going & will some day be seen mentioned all over the billboards & Ad spaces

Douglas Cowie
21-Aug-07, 13:36
Thanks for that Chobbersjnr as you correctly pointed out Liquid Blue entered the Ultimate Chill competition along with several other bands from the Wick area (We did offer places in the heats to Thurso bands but no one took up the offer) Liquid Blue won through to the semis but all the bands who entered were offered the same level of help and encouragment.
We try to be fair and impartial to all bands and musicians who come along to MLM and help musicians to play the style of music they want to play. For instance the local country club asked if an MLM band would play at the Halkirk Country Music festival, we held local auditions for MLM bands and Ayes of the North won through and played to critical acclaim, they also represented MLM at the recent harbourfest Saturday concert. We also held a Friday night concert at the harbourfest where various genres of music were represented including a fine heavy rock set from Penetration Station who topped the bill.
We can only promote those who come along to MLM and whilst a couple of members of Unholy Confessions do come along now and again they are restricted in their attendance by work and other commitments, however I know their lead guitarist Steven very well and he can rely on my support should he ever need it.
I hope that all of the counties musicians will get behind Liquid Blue and wish them the best for Friday night as they will be representing not only MLM but Caithness music.

Gleber2
21-Aug-07, 14:19
Hats off to Douglas, Davie, Jamie and all others involved in this venture, you are doing a sterling job. A pity that something similar does not happen in Thurso also. Keep up the good work!!!!

erli
21-Aug-07, 15:46
I got this CD on Saturday night and my friend got the band to sign it so that I can sell it on ebay when they become famous :lol:. Good luck guys, I know you are going to do great.

Douglas Cowie
22-Aug-07, 10:43
If you have a look at the Courier today you will see that Wick Youth Club have been given funding of £50,000 to set up a recording studio as part of Music Link Media. This is great news as it will allow local bands access to professional quality recording facilities and encourage musicians to write their own material.
We at Music Link Media are really excited about the possibilities this will open up.

Jeid
22-Aug-07, 18:47
Good luck to the band for Friday night... it's a pity congratulations and encouragement isn't shown to all bands in Caithness.

Gleber2
23-Aug-07, 13:00
This is great news as it will allow local bands access to professional quality recording facilities and encourage musicians to write their own material.
We at Music Link Media are really excited about the possibilities this will open up.
There are five studios operating in Caithness at the moment at least three are of professional quality and none of them are charging full pro rates( I can't speak for Manson Grant's studio). You seem to be infering that only with the addition of your new studio will local bands have access to 'professional recording facilities' at a reasonable price. Not true!!!!
Good luck with the venture but don't forget that the other studios are mostly privately funded and don't have the advantage of large chunks of public cash.

Jeid
24-Aug-07, 00:06
There are five studios operating in Caithness at the moment at least three are of professional quality and none of them are charging full pro rates

There is? Where? Who? I think you're slevering biy...

Not charging full pro rates? There's a reason for that, none of them are pro studios.

Gleber2
24-Aug-07, 01:08
I think you're slevering biy...

What you think long since ceased to interest me.

Jeid
24-Aug-07, 01:11
Obviously not, cos if it did, you wouldn't have unblocked me and you wouldn't have replied.

As usual, you fail to answer the relevent questions.

rob murray
24-Aug-07, 09:44
Great news Douglas, the set up certaintly beats our old practice set up in the Scout Hall !!!

Gleber 2 : Sure the project attracted public funding, it is community focused, ie a means to keep kids on the straight and narrow and off the streets, kids who cannot afford "pro rates ( however they are determined" and neither could I at the same age. This will not impact upon any other studio's income stream's as the kids who will use the project are in no position to pay rates to others, in technical terms there is no business displacement effect here. Also there is nothing stopping any studio in Caithness investigating and particapting in community funded projects, all you need to do is do teh research and get on with it. As a starter try the NESTA web site !!

Gleber2
24-Aug-07, 11:11
Gleber 2 : Sure the project attracted public funding, it is community focused, ie a means to keep kids on the straight and narrow and off the streets, kids who cannot afford "pro rates ( however they are determined" and neither could I at the same age. This will not impact upon any other studio's income stream's as the kids who will use the project are in no position to pay rates to others, in technical terms there is no business displacement effect here. Also there is nothing stopping any studio in Caithness investigating and particapting in community funded projects, all you need to do is do teh research and get on with it. As a starter try the NESTA web site !!
I am delighted that this project has come to fruition and I cannot argue with what you are saying. All I was saying to Douglas was that I objected to his statement that only now local bands would have access to recording facilities and the incentive to write their own material. It was also stated in the Courier, I think, that nonmembers would have access to this studio which means that it will certainly be a business displacement. It will not impinge upon my business as most of our work comes from south of Inverness and we have more than we need.
BTW, Jeid, you have never been on my ignore list as I don't have one. I still find myself mildly amused by your youthfull arrogance and certainty. I just don't want to communicate with you on this forum.:lol:[evil]

Jeid
24-Aug-07, 11:39
Ha, coming from a man of 63 who still acts like a circus clown and thinks he's the king of kings, I find that greatly amusing.

I also think you meant youthful.

So, you gonna tell me where I can find these "pro studios" in Caithness? I might fancy booking my little band into one of them at some point, and you seem to be a man in the know with these sorts of things. Hell, we might even get you to come along and drink coffee while we sit around waiting to record. What you reckon?

rob murray
24-Aug-07, 13:06
Thanks for clarification Gleber2, good to hear that you are attracting work up to the county.

Chobbersjnr
24-Aug-07, 13:12
Thanks for clarification Gleber2, good to hear that you are attracting work up to the county.

wahey.................a reply without mindless insults. Nice one Rob

guitarzan
24-Aug-07, 15:21
meanwhile back at the ranch......

i am sure many moons ago this thread started with a Liquid Blue ep release did it not?!

so just to bring us back to the case in point, all the best for tonight in Fat Sam's folks, hope you play a blinder

Gleber2
24-Aug-07, 16:22
so just to bring us back to the case in point, all the best for tonight in Fat Sam's folks, hope you play a blinder
Here Here!!!!!!

Aaldtimer
24-Aug-07, 17:40
Hear Hear even!!!

Gleber2
24-Aug-07, 18:32
Hear Hear even!!!
Either way is fine for me. Here Hear!!!

Douglas Cowie
25-Aug-07, 16:55
Hi guys just back from the Ultimate Chill semis in Dundee (see other posting) somewhat amazed at the controversy my posting regarding studio funding has caused. it was just a quick post before I headed South and it was in no way meant to put down any of the excellent local recording facilities which already exist. I was just delighted that we can offer a high quality inhouse studio at MLM. As Robin Murray correctly pointed out the funding is available to help deprived areas and give kids something else to do other than stand round street corners. Any incentive this gives the kids has to be encouraged plus access to MLM is free you don't have to be a member or pay a fee.
If any of you want to see how MLM works and have a tour of the workshops get in touch with me and I will arrange it.

The Pepsi Challenge
25-Aug-07, 17:03
How did they get on, then?

Deemac
25-Aug-07, 19:23
So with a £50K budget to play with, what musical gear is planned for the shopping list?

I assume a large portion of this will go to converting the existing building/soundproofing etc. (or is that already in place?)

I do also hope that you'll not be paying "consultant's" to advise on your purchase decisions. (who'll cream off as much as they can!!)

I wish this scheme every sucess and its a great opportunity for all the local youth of the area to have such a facility.

Douglas Cowie
25-Aug-07, 21:40
Thanks Deemac;
David Shearer our media leader will be setting up and chosing the equipment using his extensive experience and knowledge of sound recording.

A lot of the building work will be done my local companies who have agreed to help out by working at reduced rates as it's for a good cause.

Another example of the community pulling together.

Gleber2
27-Jun-09, 16:41
Thanks Deemac;
David Shearer our media leader will be setting up and chosing the equipment using his extensive experience and knowledge of sound recording.

A lot of the building work will be done my local companies who have agreed to help out by working at reduced rates as it's for a good cause.

Another example of the community pulling together.
Perhaps you would like to take us up to date with this project as, apart from hearing about all the cash available, nothing has been heard about it in the two years since this thread was started.

Douglas Cowie
28-Jun-09, 15:30
The studio has been up and running quite some time now; fully equiped and being used by the bands who attend the MLM project although it is open to hire for anyone at competitve rates.
The system is Pro Tools based and is kitted out to a very high standard, a drum kit and instruments including keyboards are supplied to use.
Neither David Shearer or myself are involved with MLM as we have both stood down to various other committments but we both keep in touch and help out in advisory roles.
Gleber if yourself or anyone else with an interest wants to see the studio and have a look around MLM either contact Wick Youth Club and speak to the manager Geoff Oswald or pop along on a Thursday night, you will be more than welcome.

hotrod4
29-Jun-09, 04:50
Is it only geared for "Rock" outfits? Or Can it be used for Hip Hop/RnB style tracks as well?
I only ask as I make all my own tracks but could do with a better quality vocal recording for my tracks.
Can it just be a raw recording? and would any release have to mention where a "Vocal" was recorded?
And is it a 32 bit set up?

Jeid
29-Jun-09, 07:49
32bit? Aren't most studios offering 24 bit bit-rates?

hotrod4
30-Jun-09, 05:00
32bit? Aren't most studios offering 24 bit bit-rates?
Well I have a 32 bit card but only normally use 24 bit.
Reaper and Sonar use 64 bit for their underlying engine.
I only asked as a higher bit rate gives you bigger headroom and gives better compression and doesnt clip soft peaks so much, and as I use alot of sub in my recordings would need this to happen.

I am by no means a studio genius but just wondered about the quality.

Jeid
30-Jun-09, 08:46
32bit is only gonna be much use if you're doing hardcore post processing, and if you're needing to do so much post processing, then you're doing it wrong. 24bit should be enough for pretty much anyone(unless you're recording an orchestra maybe, and want to edit every single instrument).

All the recordings I've ever been involved in or now do myself, are 24bit. The ear can only hear so much and the difference in quality between 16 and 24 bit is so minimal to the untrained ear, the difference between 24 and 32bit is gonna be even less.

I think the 64bit thing with Reaper is to do with what OS's it can run on, rather than a specific bit rate.

Are you using Reaper for recording? It's a good program, I liked it. Never actually did any band recording in it though. I discovered it around the same time I got Pro Tools 8.

hotrod4
02-Jul-09, 06:08
Are you using Reaper for recording? It's a good program, I liked it. Never actually did any band recording in it though. I discovered it around the same time I got Pro Tools 8.

Yeah I use reaper for doing "live" recordings as it isnt resource hungry and monitors great.
I use Acdi pro for alot of stuff but find with the monitoring it can run "out of sync" while recording live no matter now much I adjust ASIO!!!
Reaper is a great bit of kit.
I have about a 1000 VST's but Reaper is the only prog that I have that will use more than 90% of them wheras Acid pro uses about 60-70, which is a pain when using soft synths! Switching from Reaper to Acid pro!:eek:

Kenneth
06-Jul-09, 13:54

You are a pro tool Jeid!

hjahahahhahajsdhalksdhas