PDA

View Full Version : Hijacked Ebay Account

Wellies
16-Aug-07, 18:07
I have just found out someone in Nigeria has hijacked my ebay account and I cannot sign into it. They then went on to get my internet account and have been trying to get people to send items to Nigeria before paying for them. How could this happen especially when both accounts have different passwords. I have reported it to ebay and waiting to see how fast they will sort this out. I am left wondering how often this happens.

corgiman
16-Aug-07, 18:09
have you replied to any ebay e-mails that were not in your ebay inbox?

Metalattakk
16-Aug-07, 18:12
Often is how often this happens. And it might take quite a while for eBay to sort it out as well.

The wife had her account hijacked a year or two ago and it took months to sort out, and even then she ended up locked out of her account again by eBay themselves.

But eventually they'll get it sorted, as long as you keep them informed.

Wellies
16-Aug-07, 18:39
No corgiman I haven't. The scariest thing is that they have gotten into my e-mail account and are able to get info on there. But saying that there is nothing of interest, I think. But they have certainly been busy today as I have over 30 e-mails to sellers on ebay.

ashaw1
16-Aug-07, 19:39
I had my ebay account hijacked last year and ebay noticed it before i did. I hadn't replied to emails or anything, still don't know how they managed it. Unfortunately no matter how careful you are these things do happen. They are professionals and know exactly what they are doing. It put me off for a while but luckily nothing else has happened since. Hopefully it will be rectified soon.

Geo
17-Aug-07, 12:39
You may have spyware on your computer. Certain types allow 3rd parties to access your PC. If you have anti-spyware software make sure it up to date and run it.

If you haven't already got anti spyware software then check out:
http://www.superantispyware.com/
http://www.safer-networking.org/en/index.html
http://www.lavasoft.com/products/ad_aware_plus02.php

There are free versions of the software at each site.

Personally I would run all three as some find nasties that the others miss.

Wellies
17-Aug-07, 13:38
Thanks for all the advice I have gotten. Ebay picked it up themselves late last night and stopped my account. Also got a nice email from them this morning recognising my email I had sent them so it was sorted out very quickly. The only thing left was that they got into my yahoo account which real does bother me and I have heard nothing back from yahoo about how it could happen.

missmillie
17-Aug-07, 19:24
Had this happen to me too! they took all my email address and used the ebay account as there own! i only noticed when i got my credit card bill in and they had run up £700 in one month advertising their motor bikes for sale in my account number!! was devestated! ebay were really good but my credit card money took months to prove it wasn't me! and since then my credit history went down due to missed payments during that time!!:(