PDA

View Full Version : Dolphins and Killer whales

garycs
20-Jul-05, 10:09
This is something that has always fascinated me, and with the now regular sightings of Killer whales in the Pentland Firth seems appropriate to mention.

Why is it that Killer whales target seals and fish, hunting them so efficiently but have never been known to harm humans? On the west coast of Canada there are numerous companies offering kayaking and swimming with Killer whales in complete safety. A person in the water would be easy pickings for such an effective predator.

Similarly there are dozens of documented instances of Dolphins protecting people from sharks or assisting a struggling swimmer. Why would a species protect a weaker (and in the water we totally outclassed) one in this way?

Could it be that when Douglas Adams, in the Hitchhikers’ guide to the Galaxy, claimed humans were only the third most intelligent species on Earth after laboratory mice and Dolphins, that he was not far from the truth?

neepnipper
20-Jul-05, 11:48
Maybe we don't taste very nice! :D

Seriously, I remember watching a wildlife film (one of David Attenboroughs' I think) where the killer whales were feeding, one had obviously had its fill and proceeded to pick up a seal pup and take it back to the shore where it left it safe and sound. Amazing.

Having seen these amazing creatures at John O'Groats a month or so ago I agree there is much we do not know. I definitely agree we are not the most intelligent creatures on planet Earth, all you have to do is think about all the terrible things we do to each other. :(

Margaret M.
20-Jul-05, 13:49
I too am fascinated by these beautiful creatures. Saw a lovely documentary where a man swam out every day to meet a dolphin he had befriended. They would play with a ball and just swim around together. He had to leave for a few months and was worried about leaving his dolphin friend. As soon as he returned he swam to their spot and his buddy was waiting there, kinda snubbed him at first as if to say how dare you leave me but then it warmed up and they resumed their play. There is so much documented about dolphins protecting humans while in danger in the ocean but we do so very little to protect them in return. It breaks my heart that whales, dolphins and so many other species on planet earth are treated as if their lives are totally worthless.

Hibeechick
20-Jul-05, 17:05
I have swam with dolphins in Malta and have to say that it is the most fabulous feeling in the world! There is just no way of describing how it feels! Doing it again in the Algarve in October.

As for Killer whales... I think its such a shame that people relate them to their name! Orca's being their correct name, they are actually a member of the dolphin family! They were called killer whales because they would come between young whales and their mothers, and kill the younger as food. Therefor being called Killer of the whale.

And that my friends is your science and nature lesson for today lol.
xx