PDA

View Full Version : First toy

spiggie
14-Aug-07, 22:46
Okay here we go, what are everyone's memories of their very first toy?

Mines was one of they little dogs that barks and flips over, and i still have it lol :)

Angela
14-Aug-07, 23:16
Mine was a pink and white furry rabbit. You could twirl its tail round...to play a tune...:roll: Got it from a shop in Wick.

It had quite a long life....but when I decided I wanted to be a hairdresser, it and all my other cuddly toys got a very close shave all over! :eek:

olivia
14-Aug-07, 23:22
I had a little yellow elephant called 'Nelly' which my godmother had given me when I was christened apparently. It had pink satin on the inside of its ears. I can remember poor Nelly getting a wash one day and then being hung up by her poor little ears on the washing line - I cried and cried until Mum took her down! (Still got Nelly many decades later!).

Wizzbang
14-Aug-07, 23:26
A hoop and a stick

karia
14-Aug-07, 23:34
Handkerchiefs at the ready??

I had a blind Teddy,..mum removed his eyes because I kept trying to eat them!

Top that for sentiment!;)

Karia

Lolabelle
15-Aug-07, 00:10
The first one I remember was a doll that had hair that "grew" out of the top of its head. I promptly cut it off at the scalp. But the one I hear about from all my relatives was a walking doll, that my mum had had since she was 3 yrs old. She gave it to me and I pulled its arms and legs off.
I think I was a pretty awful kid. :evil

sassylass
15-Aug-07, 00:24
A yellow and black chimp, with rubber face, hands, and feet, his name is Jacky Joe and yes I still have him (packed away, not on the shelf ;))

Aaldtimer
15-Aug-07, 01:58
My earliest recollections is of a papier mache toy of Popeye the Sailorman. It didn't do a lot...just kinda stood there1

stratman
15-Aug-07, 08:09
I had a pressed tin ray gun that through out sparks when you pulled the trigger. I can still remember the smell of it. Probably not my first toy but memorable.

Ricco
15-Aug-07, 08:27
The first one I remember was a kids tool set - metal and wooden minature of the real thing. I got into a lot of trouble with that one! :confused

johno
15-Aug-07, 09:24
The first toy i can recall was a post office pedal van. you could actually get a smaller kid in the back of it. I was everybody,s pal for a while when i got it.
never ever seen another like since. dunno where it went when i grew out of it. sold i guess as like every other folks we were,nt that well off.:cool: [lol]

nanoo
15-Aug-07, 12:02
The first toy i can remember was my very own silver cross dolls pram i got it for my christmas and i'm sure mum and dad had to save a good long time to buy it for me. I remember the lady across the road from us had her baby prematurely and her pram would'nt be delivered for a further 3 weeks so she got mine for the baby to lie in. Brings back fond memories because many a real baby went walkies in my pram. I think i was 6.:lol:[lol]

Thumper
15-Aug-07, 12:27
Nanoo thats exactly the same first toy I can remember getting too!I still have mine 32yrs later!I got it on my birthday it had a matching shopping bag/changing bag that hung on the handle a basket underneath and a lovely emroidered satin blanket with it!I loved that pram!keep threatening to go into my Mums attic and take it down to see how good it still is and then buying a porcelain doll to put in it(they look so real nowadays!)mind you after that many years up in the attic it is probably past it now :( x

rockchick
15-Aug-07, 12:55
First toy I remember was a Raggedy Ann doll which my grandmother had made for me, including the clothes. Alas, it was too well-loved and hasn't made it to the present day, but I certainly cherished.

canuck
15-Aug-07, 14:34
In the "Big Clean" of the past several weeks I unearthed my ancient doll which fits into the category of the Canadian standard of "50 years qualifies it as antique". I also found my brother's (he had given it to my son) carpentry set. Probably similar to Ricco's.

scorrie
15-Aug-07, 15:12
The first toy i can recall was a post office pedal van.
never ever seen another like since. dunno where it went

Johno, I tracked that van down for you and can reveal that the Royal Mail are still using it for the Special Delivery items. That explains a lot of the long delivery times we are hearing about.

scorrie
15-Aug-07, 15:15
I had a pressed tin ray gun that through out sparks when you pulled the trigger. I can still remember the smell of it. Probably not my first toy but memorable.

I also had one of those and used to wonder why my Mum always told me to go play with it at the local gas plant.

Tugmistress
15-Aug-07, 15:18
First one i can remember is a tin spinning top that made a humming sound, it was my aunt's before mine, and was certainly well used. Knowing my nana she still has it somewhere!

nanoo
15-Aug-07, 16:46
Hi thumper, i just read your post, thats right,you got all those extra things with the pram and i seem to remember a canope with fringes as well for the summer time. Sadly,i no longer have mine as it was passed along to my neice and she has 3 younger sisters who are all married now with kids of their own. Must ask, what happened to my beloved pram. Mind you thumper i must be a good deal older than you as it's at least 40 years or more for me last seeing it. Strange you should mention porcelaine dolls though as i started gathering Victorian lady dolls 2 years ago. My collection is modest however (just 26) they are mostly 24" to 42" tall. I've decided i must be going into my second childhood. Te he.;):roll:

mccaugm
15-Aug-07, 17:35
My Granny gave me an oversized teddybear whom I adored. By the time my mother tried to throw him out, his feet were threadbear and his neck was spilling out stuffing. I was really upset at the time. I even tried to fish him back out of the bin (not a success I hasten to add).
:roll: I still have a purple rabbit my mum had as a child, its not pretty and also has stuffing coming out but I cannot bear to throw him out either. How sad is that for an admission by a 30 something mother of 3???

johno
15-Aug-07, 18:09
Johno, I tracked that van down for you and can reveal that the Royal Mail are still using it for the Special Delivery items. That explains a lot of the long delivery times we are hearing about.
now that dont surprise me one bit. reckon they might let me have it back then...heh heh heh [lol]

anneoctober
15-Aug-07, 19:25
The first toy I remember was my Golliwog...called Golly of course :roll:
He had black tousers, red bow tie, red & white stripey waistcoat and blue coat with tails. I loved playing with his stubby dreadlocks........
Of course my mum, being a wise lady, took him away eventually and gave him to a jumble sale , well, he's NOT PC anymore. How did she know that was going to happen all those years ago...?? [lol]

htwood
15-Aug-07, 19:36
Very first toy was a vinyl red and white striped scotty dog. I'd forgotten all about it until I saw a pic of me age 1 year holding that dog, and could smell that vinyl again. Musta chewed the heck out of it because I suddenly remembered the rough stitching on all seams.
A much much better toy was an inflated Boppo the clown, with a sandweighted base and red squeaky nose, prob 3 feet tall, but I was so wee I would run full force and knock it down. LOL and so I did. (better Boppo than sassylass)
Couple of months ago, saw one for sale online, and wanted it badly (never too old to have a happy childhood) but guess it would explode if I ran and jumped on it now. eh good times.

NLP
15-Aug-07, 20:27
1st one I remember was 2 dolls dressed in sailors outfits still have 1 doll but not the outfit when I was older I was learning to knit the doll is still dressed in that outfit.

Aaldtimer
15-Aug-07, 20:33
He had black tousers, red bow tie, red & white stripey waistcoat and blue coat with tails. I loved playing with his stubby dreadlocks........
Of course my mum, being a wise lady, took him away eventually and gave him to a jumble sale , well, he's NOT PC anymore. How did she know that was going to happen all those years ago...?? [lol]
Mmmm, not PC anymore...that's what I thought until I saw one of them on sale in a shop at JoG last week!!

Victoria
15-Aug-07, 21:12
This is mine..

http://img441.imageshack.us/img441/8388/munkyqb9.jpg

stratman
15-Aug-07, 22:07
I also had one of those and used to wonder why my Mum always told me to go play with it at the local gas plant.

You must have been well loved Scorrie!!!

stratman
15-Aug-07, 22:10

I had a golly wog as well. It was not called golly but Auntie Pat. I have no idea why.

anneoctober
15-Aug-07, 22:30
Mmmm, not PC anymore...that's what I thought until I saw one of them on sale in a shop at JoG last week!!
DID HE LOOK LIKE MY GOLLY? MAYBE HE'S FOUND HIS WAY HOME TO ME? :lol: AM ACTUALLY GOING TO 'GROATS TOMORROW - YOU'D BETTER NO BE TEASING ME AALDTIMER.......;)

jsherris
15-Aug-07, 22:37
DID HE LOOK LIKE MY GOLLY? MAYBE HE'S FOUND HIS WAY HOME TO ME? :lol: AM ACTUALLY GOING TO 'GROATS TOMORROW - YOU'D BETTER NO BE TEASING ME AALDTIMER.......

Anne, they are all over Blackpool in the gift shops! Large ones, small ones - all sortsa sizes!
You have to call them Gollies though - the non PC bit is the old word..... :roll:
Julie

anneoctober
15-Aug-07, 22:47
Anne, they are all over Blackpool in the gift shops! Large ones, small ones - all sortsa sizes!
You have to call them Gollies though - the non PC bit is the old word.....
Julie
OOPS, I STAND CORRECTED JULIE ! WHERE HAVE THEY BEEN HIDING THEM ON ME? HAVE N'T BEEN FURTHER THAN SOUTHPORT :( I WONDER IS ANYONE FROM BLACKPOOL MOVING TO CAITHNESS SOON ? :lol:

jsherris
15-Aug-07, 23:11
Anne, the little shop on the corner does them - I will pop in & see Bill tomorrow - he owes me some money as well so we might make a deal!
;)

anneoctober
15-Aug-07, 23:38
Anne, the little shop on the corner does them - I will pop in & see Bill tomorrow - he owes me some money as well so we might make a deal!
;)
Julia, have pm'd you . Many thanks :Razz

Aaldtimer
16-Aug-07, 01:54
I'm no teasing you Anne, couldn't believe my own eyes!!

sassylass
16-Aug-07, 04:25
snipA much much better toy was an inflated Boppo the clown, with a sandweighted base and red squeaky nose, prob 3 feet tall, but I was so wee I would run full force and knock it down. LOL and so I did. (better Boppo than sassylass)snip.

ahh yes it was a happy day when you got Boppo.