http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/6946425.stm

anneoctober
14-Aug-07, 18:47
this is scary as my child as lots of these

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/6946425.stm
Think my grandaughter has Polly Pocket, will check - Thanks Ash

percy toboggan
14-Aug-07, 19:08
Serves Mattel right for getting them made on the cheap in China.

Pigeons coming home to roost ? - unless the Chinese intercept 'em for supper.

golach
14-Aug-07, 19:11
Serves Mattel right for getting them made on the cheap in China.

Pigeons coming home to roost ? - unless the Chinese intercept 'em for supper.
I agree Percy, cheap shoddy toys made in sweat shop factories and being charged at over rated prices.

Sporran
14-Aug-07, 20:09
I'm so sick of seeing stuff made on the cheap in China, then sold for not-so-cheap prices here or in the UK! [disgust] It's getting worse every year! I'm disappointed to see that even quality brands like Royal Doulton, Spode and Portmeirion have the "Made in China" stamp on them these days. Not sure if it's all their lines, or just the giftware items I've seen over here. For all I know, it might just be the items that they export to the USA! The American brand, Lenox China, used to be made in the USA, and now it's made in China as well! Apart from the quality not being quite so high, all this cheap Chinese labour is taking away much needed jobs by Brits and Americans!

Rheghead
14-Aug-07, 20:19
thankfully, lead is not as toxic as the experts will lead us to think, a bit of lead paint won't do anyone any serious harm but yes, it is toxic but no child is going to die from this cock up. It is good that mattel has acted quickly and publicly.

Oddquine
14-Aug-07, 20:21
Good luck to anyone who has to wrest a favourite toy from a kiddie!

percy toboggan
14-Aug-07, 21:26
Good luck to anyone who has to wrest a favourite toy from a kiddie!

A firm voice and reason is all that should be needed.
Good sense from Rheghead - they are merely covering their butt here.
Lead - in thes equantitites won't do any harm, unless a kid is sucking on the toy from infancy to adolescence.

scorrie
14-Aug-07, 22:15
A firm voice and reason is all that should be needed.
Good sense from Rheghead - they are merely covering their butt here.
Lead - in thes equantitites won't do any harm, unless a kid is sucking on the toy from infancy to adolescence.

Ooh, I don't know Percy...we keep reading that kids are so much more easily "Lead" these days!!

Tristan
14-Aug-07, 22:52
thankfully, lead is not as toxic as the experts will lead us to thinkQUOTE]

Is that your expert opinion, of do you have some evidence to back that up?

[QUOTE=Rheghead;255991]but no child is going to die from this cock up. It

I didn't think death was the big risk. I thought the big risk of lead was neuroligical damage and long term problems in later life.

Metalattakk
15-Aug-07, 02:08
Tell that to Napoleon.

Anyway, increased levels of lead in the paint on these toys won't hurt your child, unless they are exposed to it over quite a considerable length of time.

It's not radioactive. It won't kill on touch. No need to PANIC!!

Victoria
15-Aug-07, 09:59
unfortunately EVERYTHING comes from China now.

Lolabelle
15-Aug-07, 10:25
Just saw a segment on the news about the same over here. It's pathetic that they have stuff made on the cheap and then charge like wounded bulls. I bet they say that if they had these products made in US, UK or Aus, they would be so much MORE expensive. [evil]