PDA

View Full Version : Support your local shops? yeah right!

bekisman
14-Aug-07, 16:44
Needed some carrots, popped into my 'local' shop in Melvich got four old carrots at £1.65p a kilo. Today over in Wick at Tesco got fresh (not value ones) at 64p a kilo, I don't like paying an extra £1.01!..
Incidentally chatting to the (Duty Manager) this time and asked him outright if Tesco's was 'downsizing' "Absolutely not, no way".. Are you having a Tesco Metro in Wick?, as one of your staff mentioned this; "No, but are applying for one in Thurso and on the Orkneys AND on Shetland"

At least I'll get better priced Carrots there!

JAWS
14-Aug-07, 17:31
Tesco were "downsizing" before they had even finished building. Pets at Home were going out of business in the first week as were, if I recall, Homebase or was it Argos?
Can anybody remember if the Serious Rumour Brigade started the same nonsense when Lidl first opened? I have a feeling they did.

anneoctober
14-Aug-07, 19:02
Can the Serious Rumour Brigade update me on Asda in Thurso? :lol:

pentlander
15-Aug-07, 13:59
Needed some carrots, popped into my 'local' shop in Melvich got four old carrots at £1.65p a kilo. Today over in Wick at Tesco got fresh (not value ones) at 64p a kilo, I don't like paying an extra £1.01!..
Incidentally chatting to the (Duty Manager) this time and asked him outright if Tesco's was 'downsizing' "Absolutely not, no way".. Are you having a Tesco Metro in Wick?, as one of your staff mentioned this; "No, but are applying for one in Thurso and on the Orkneys AND on Shetland"

At least I'll get better priced Carrots there!
Hope you remeber that when the Melvich shop has closed down. Its a long journey for a pint of milk should you need one.

concerned resident
15-Aug-07, 14:42
You can hear me cursing under my breath, the names of counsellors as i stand in the que in Somerfields or Coop, in Thurso. Thank goodness i do the main shop in Wick, where i can get value for money, and a fast service.
But it does not help Global warming, having to do a 40 mile trip. Thurso is for the overpaid dounreay workers, who can afford to be ripped off.

bekisman
15-Aug-07, 15:35
Pentlander: "Hope you remeber that when the Melvich shop has closed down. Its a long journey for a pint of milk should you need one."

Well, if I wanted a couple of pints of milk and a kilo of carrots I'd go to Thurso anyway as I'd cover the cost of fuel in just that savings..

dunderheed
15-Aug-07, 18:04
You can hear me cursing under my breath, the names of counsellors as i stand in the que in Somerfields or Coop, in Thurso. Thank goodness i do the main shop in Wick, where i can get value for money, and a fast service.
But it does not help Global warming, having to do a 40 mile trip. Thurso is for the overpaid dounreay workers, who can afford to be ripped off.

still dont see where somerfields is any more expensive than tesco , they are doing price match on lots of everyday goods

johno
15-Aug-07, 18:16
Can the Serious Rumour Brigade update me on Asda in Thurso? :lol:
Now then Anne ,Asda are building a mega mega store on the old quarry at shebster & the first 1,ooo,ooo customers are to get their goods free of charge and delivered also. i might also add that all this is going to happen on the first dry Sunday in the middle of the week. So there you go now , straight from the horse,s mouth. I know you know cause i quite often sit on the board of nonsense. [lol]

Tubthumper
15-Aug-07, 22:40
You really are a card, concerned resident! At least you won't need to buy potato products in Wick, check both shoulders for chips!!
Didn't you ever fancy a job at Dounreay?? I heard they took anyone on, even folk with shoulder problems...

crayola
16-Aug-07, 00:51
Don't worry about Mr Resident, he'll be in residents' heaven when he reads the news from you and johno. He can pop in to ASDA on his way home from Dounreay and pick up as many free chips as he likes. I doubt they'll give him as much dogged enjoyment as the ones piled high on his shoulders though.

Just wait for the 'ASDA chips are tasteless and soggy and it's all the Thurso councillors fault' thread. [lol]

Hey bekisman, you sound like a sound businessman, why don't you open your own shop and undercut the stale old overpriced carrot merchant of Melvich?

Ricco
16-Aug-07, 08:10
In defense of some local shops.... my wife and I went to Allied Carpets to price up some new vinyl. Pretty expensive despite the 'sale' price. So we went to a dept store in REading and they came out £110 cheaper. Nice! So, we decided to try the flooring store nearby - they came out nearly £300 cheaper than the Allied quote. No prizes for quessing that we will support our local store in this instance. :D

pentlander
16-Aug-07, 09:04
Pentlander: "Hope you remeber that when the Melvich shop has closed down. Its a long journey for a pint of milk should you need one."

Well, if I wanted a couple of pints of milk and a kilo of carrots I'd go to Thurso anyway as I'd cover the cost of fuel in just that savings..

Why is everything about cost these days. I certainly would not drive in from Melvich to save myself 90 odd pence, Ask yourself why tescos are not opening stores in Melvich Bettyhill Tongue.
There is not enough business there to make a profit. Stores like the one at Melvich are vital to life in rural villages and the shop and post office would be sorely missed by those residents who are not fortunate enough to be able to jump in a care and drive to wick.
Judging by your Dounreay coments I suspect you are a few carrots short of a kilo anyway and not worth debating with.

concerned resident
16-Aug-07, 09:48
pentlander Judging by your Dounreay comments I suspect you are a few carrots short of a kilo anyway and not worth debating with.

Sorry i did not mean to offend you, you probably work in Dounreay, or have connections, but if you open your eyes, it is so blatantly obvious, to those people who do not work there.

Tubthumper You really are a card, concerned resident! At least you won't need to buy potato products in Wick, check both shoulders for chips!!
Didn't you ever fancy a job at Dounreay?? I heard they took anyone on, even folk with shoulder problems...

There are quite a number of people in Thurso, who like to get value for there money, and a quick and efficient service, so I can not be the only one with a chip on my shoulder, as for Dounreay, I could not work there, as I like to do a days work for my money, and not waste the tax payers money.

Crayola Don't worry about Mr Resident, he'll be in residents' heaven when he reads the news from you and johno. He can pop in to ASDA on his way home from Dounreay and pick up as many free chips as he likes. I doubt they'll give him as much dogged enjoyment as the ones piled high on his shoulders though Just wait for the 'ASDA chips are tasteless and soggy and it's all the Thurso councillors fault' thread.

Still do not like me criticizing anything about the community, it must be a perfect world that you live in. Hope you can join the rest of us soon in the real world.

bekisman
16-Aug-07, 12:12
Pentlander: "Judging by your Dounreay coments I suspect you are a few carrots short of a kilo anyway and not worth debating with."

Sorry mate (inspite of your insult) but I think YOU need the carrots for your blinking eyesight it was not ME that mentioned Dounreay -that was 'Concerned Resident' doh..

Pentlander: "Why is everything about cost these days. I certainly would not drive in from Melvich to save myself 90 odd pence, Ask yourself why tescos are not opening stores in Melvich Bettyhill Tongue. There is not enough business there to make a profit. Stores like the one at Melvich are vital to life in rural villages and the shop and post office would be sorely missed by those residents who are not fortunate enough to be able to jump in a care and drive to wick."

'about costs these days' - nope those carrots were old, crinkly and had black bits on 'em, so I'm willing to pay over the odds to go further for quality Ask yourself why Tesco (and ASDA I'll be bound) will be delivering to those outlying townships, of course you would not use them, you'd continue to support you local stores, even if the quality ain't so good. And yep, I am fortunate to be able to jump into a 'care'(?) and drive to Wick. OR could use the subsidised Taxi's and bus, but prefer me car.

Crayola: "Hey bekisman, you sound like a sound businessman, why don't you open your own shop and undercut the stale old overpriced carrot merchant of Melvich?"..
Nah, I've got my own business and I've worked at it, built it up - it's Top Quality (officially Classed as one of the Top 20 in GB & Ireland and one of the Top 3 in Scotland) so I know that if real effort is put into it 'any' business it can succeed. I worked at mine from it's infancy so I can take my care (car) to Wick for me carrots if I want too..

NickInTheNorth
16-Aug-07, 12:30
bekisman, just reading the posts on this thread, and I notice in your first post that the issue was the price you were charged for the carrots. By your latest post it has changed to one of quality.

I for one would wholeheartedly agree that goods bought from shops, any shops should be of decent quality - genuinely so, not just appearing to be so. So many times I have bought fresh produce from the big supermarkets which at the time of purchase look wonderful. Nice and shiny and ready to eat.

However far too many times to count I have bought carrots from the supermarkets and within a few days have found them to be unfit to eat (on one memorable occasion they took about 36 hours before becoming black and mouldy!)

I have also on many occasion bought carrots that have looked a bit tired from farm shops, or a "local" shop. Carrots that were clearly not the most attractive items ever. Those carrots have often been in a similar condition and clearly still good to eat many days and often weeks later.

If I can buy a carrot or anything to eat which stores well, but ain't too pretty, over something that looks good but rots in no time, I know which I would buy every time.

As to the price issue, well as always I guess you have a choice. Buy locally, or drive many miles. If the shopkeeper needs to charge that price then they will. You will chose whether to make a round trip of 80 miles or whatever from Melvich or to pay the extra.

I know which I would do :D

Incidentally I see many post about food pricing on here, and no-one seems to mention Lidl. I find their products exceptionally good quality, and the prices in many cases astonishingly low. The fruit and veg there is also top class and at very good prices.

Skerries
16-Aug-07, 12:56
Incidentally I see many post about food pricing on here, and no-one seems to mention Lidl. I find their products exceptionally good quality, and the prices in many cases astonishingly low. The fruit and veg there is also top class and at very good prices.

I agree totally. Lidl fruit and veg is good quality. Also, there's less packaging, and because fruit is left in original boxes and not stuffed into plastic punnets, you don't end up with loads of bruised fruit!

scorrie
16-Aug-07, 15:38
I agree totally. Lidl fruit and veg is good quality. Also, there's less packaging, and because fruit is left in original boxes and not stuffed into plastic punnets, you don't end up with loads of bruised fruit!

I do most of my food shopping in Lidl. The fruit and veg is excellent value. I am sure Lidl would be busier but for the notion that it is a "poor peoples shop" in some quarters. I know folk who simply won't go through the doors.

Of course Lidl don't have Jimmy Nail wi ayin aboot cheap light bulbs whilst trousering thoosands o' poonds and heading aroond the toon wi a bottle o' dog and a bag o' Toodor crisps.

Tubthumper
16-Aug-07, 17:22
...Still do not like me criticizing anything about the community, it must be a perfect world that you live in. Hope you can join the rest of us soon in the real world.
concerned resident, all I've seen you do is criticise everything about the community! Council, Councillors, Police, Service, Dounreay, CASE, Trains, Shops, Kids...
I hope I never have to join you in your world, it must be a very unhappy place.

Tubthumper
16-Aug-07, 17:34
Whine and moan and grunt and groan
Gurn and then complain
That is concerned resident’s world
At least inside their brain

Police who will not do a thing
‘Bout kids out late at night
Councillors corrupt and blind
Causing planning blight

Local shops with service poor
Range is pretty dodgy
Lack of cakes and sweeties too
Food is stale and stodgy

Have to drive to Wick to get
Decent kind of shopping
Must be better cos it’s Tesco’s
Trolley push till dropping

Dounreay workers, lazy sods
Never busy working
So unlike our resident
Whose knees are always jerking

Trains are late, no room for bikes
This just isn’t funny
CASE are just a waste of space
Spending public money

What a lovely happy place
Inside concerned’s mind
Where Asda fairies wave their wands
All veg is the magic kind

Dounreay workers disappear
Problems simply vanish
Thurso town just flourishes
Nasty people banish

I thank lord I’m not like them
Real world though I live in
Live, let live in Caithness towns
Take a bit, then givin’

Every day just greet and gripe
Gurn and growl and groaning
Get a life, and sniff the coffee
Give up on the moaning!

anneoctober
16-Aug-07, 17:43
Now then Anne ,Asda are building a mega mega store on the old quarry at shebster & the first 1,ooo,ooo customers are to get their goods free of charge and delivered also. i might also add that all this is going to happen on the first dry Sunday in the middle of the week. So there you go now , straight from the horse,s mouth. I know you know cause i quite often sit on the board of nonsense. [lol]
in the light of today's news Johno...........you fibbed to me.....:evil

gem1982
17-Aug-07, 01:36
I would definately say that Lidls do the best fruit and veg!

Whilst Supermarkets are far cheaper than your average local shops especially Tesco's I do think some local shops i.e Butchers and fishmongers who sell fresh produce are far better as I would rather go for quantity rather than qulaity. That saying I am a right wee nosy parker and check out the prices etc and I do not think for fresh produce there is hellish much difference in price between say tesco's meat and a butchers meat. One thing Wick or Thurso or both would benefit from is a local greengrocer but it is a sign of the times that there are none. People nowadays tend to go for convienence over quality.

crayola
17-Aug-07, 09:36
Whine and moan and grunt and groan
Gurn and then complain
That is concerned resident’s world
At least inside their brain

Police who will not do a thing
‘Bout kids out late at night
Councillors corrupt and blind
Causing planning blight

Local shops with service poor
Range is pretty dodgy
Lack of cakes and sweeties too
Food is stale and stodgy

Have to drive to Wick to get
Decent kind of shopping
Must be better cos it’s Tesco’s
Trolley push till dropping

Dounreay workers, lazy sods
Never busy working
So unlike our resident
Whose knees are always jerking

Trains are late, no room for bikes
This just isn’t funny
CASE are just a waste of space
Spending public money

What a lovely happy place
Inside concerned’s mind
Where Asda fairies wave their wands
All veg is the magic kind

Dounreay workers disappear
Problems simply vanish
Thurso town just flourishes
Nasty people banish

I thank lord I’m not like them
Real world though I live in
Live, let live in Caithness towns
Take a bit, then givin’

Every day just greet and gripe
Gurn and growl and groaning
Get a life, and sniff the coffee
Give up on the moaning!Brilliant! What a talent! How did you learn to write stuff like that?

crayola
17-Aug-07, 09:45
I do most of my food shopping in Lidl. The fruit and veg is excellent value. I am sure Lidl would be busier but for the notion that it is a "poor peoples shop" in some quarters. I know folk who simply won't go through the doors.He he, for once I agree with you scorrie. It's a de facto poor people's shop. The one I go to occasionally is called Nedl by the girls in the office because it full of Glesga neds, and that's just the lassies!

Tubthumper
17-Aug-07, 12:27
Brilliant! What a talent! How did you learn to write stuff like that?
Glad you liked it. It's not learnt, it just happens:You put beer or coffee in, wordy sort of stuff leaks out...sometimes in the middle of the night, which can be awkward!:cool: