PDA

View Full Version : Sutherland family from Latheronwheel - Janetstown

Colin72
14-Aug-07, 15:28
Hello Everyone,

I was just curious to know if anyone reading this message may of had any ancestors or female relatives with the last name Sutherland who lived in Latheronwheel - Janetstown in the late 1700s?

I ask this question because my own Sutherland family lived in the fishing village of Hilton in Fearn, Ross and Cromarty, and it is my understanding that our Sutherland family originated from Latheronwheel before they were forced to move due to the Highland Clearances. One of my new found distant cousins made mention that our croft in Latheronwheel was reached by going up Shantry brae, then up Tranter's brae and then down into Landhallow.

If anyone has in their family notes a certain Donald Sutherland who married Isobel Main on June 29, 1809 in Nairn, I would be interested in speaking with them further as Donald and Isobel are my own 4th great grandparents. At the moment I do have their birth or death dates, though I would figure by their marriage date that they were born sometime in the 1780s. I am trying to see if my 4th great grandfather Donald Sutherland had any brothers or sisters.

One last thing I want to make mention here, and that is I would also be interested in speaking with anyone whose ancestors or female relatives who lived in Hilton, Fearn, Ross and Cromarty during the 1800s up to the present date whose last names include: Ferguson, McKay, McKenzie, McAngus, Ross, Skinner, Sutherland, Tarrel, and Wood.

Take care for now!
Colin

Munro
14-Aug-07, 22:11
Hello Colin,
My wife's great grandfather John Munro lived in Janetstown,his mother was Ann Sutherland married? to George Munro. Ann Was born in New York, we do not know anything about her parents but feel she might have returned to her families home village but that would probably have been
around 1830-1835. We are visiting Latheron in September and are hoping to find more info on the family.

Munro

Dianne
17-Aug-07, 01:49
Hi I have found out from a kind member re my Sutherlands that I have a William Sutherland, farmer of Achngoul, Latheronwheel who died 18 Sept 1856 aged 56yrs. Wonder if there is a connection.

Isabel Griggs
23-Oct-07, 13:24
Hi Colin,

My Gr, Gr, Gr, Grandparents were: John HENDRY and Catherine (Katie) SUTHERLAND they married 18th Feb 1822 Latheron, Caithness, they had a son Alexander HENDRY who married Catherine CALDER 02 Jan 1852, latheron, Caithness. I have not followed Catherine SUTHERLAND's line yet.

regards
Isabel, Australia:roll: