PDA

View Full Version : biker fails to notice missing leg... (strange but true)

emb123
14-Aug-07, 11:17
Just read this article and felt it might be of interest to bikers here. I guess the moral of this tale is if you hit something, make sure you still have all your body parts before driving off :)

TOKYO, Japan (Reuters) -- A Japanese biker failed to notice his leg had been severed below the knee when he hit a safety barrier, and rode on for 2 km (1.2 miles), leaving a friend to pick up the missing limb.

The 54-year-old office worker was out on his motorcycle with a group of friends in the city of Hamamatsu, west of Tokyo, on Monday, when he was unable to negotiate a curve in the road and bumped into the central barrier, the Mainichi Shimbun said.

He felt excruciating pain, but did not notice that his right leg was missing until he stopped at the next junction, the paper quoted local police as saying.

The man and his leg were taken to hospital, but the limb had been crushed in the collision, the paper said.

http://www.cnn.com/2007/WORLD/asiapcf/08/14/japan.biker.reut/index.html?eref=rss_topstories

Lolabelle
14-Aug-07, 12:43
Gosh! That's a bit freaky isn't it. I would imagine that the first thing I would do if I have excruciating pain after hitting a guard rail, would be to look at the part of me experiencing the pain. Wouldn't you? [smirk]

karia
14-Aug-07, 13:01
Hi Guys,

I can only surmise that he was in a state of deep shock due to the trauma of the impact!:eek:

Karia

Boozeburglar
14-Aug-07, 13:16
I have cut myself pretty deeply without realising but this is amazing.

Guess he had the red mist, and the adrenaline masked the pain, bit like that footballer who played on with a broken neck and died after the game.

Eughhhhh.

Boozeburglar
14-Aug-07, 13:21
Gosh! That's a bit freaky isn't it. I would imagine that the first thing I would do if I have excruciating pain after hitting a guard rail, would be to look at the part of me experiencing the pain. Wouldn't you? [smirk]

Actually my first reaction when I come off is embarrassment, I spun out on a roundabout a few months back due to a snagged throttle cable and a poor grip on the clutch, and my immediate reaction was to jump up and jump back on, denying assistance from the drivers who ran to help. Only once my head cleared did I go back to pick up my mirror and indicator lens from the scene, and notice I had gouged a hole in my knee, and that was my fault because I had jeans on no protection, because I was 'nipping' to Tescos.

Ouch.

Lolabelle
14-Aug-07, 13:53
I have cut myself pretty deeply without realising but this is amazing.

Guess he had the red mist, and the adrenaline masked the pain, bit like that footballer who played on with a broken neck and died after the game.

Eughhhhh.

Actually my first reaction when I come off is embarrassment, I spun out on a roundabout a few months back due to a snagged throttle cable and a poor grip on the clutch, and my immediate reaction was to jump up and jump back on, denying assistance from the drivers who ran to help. Only once my head cleared did I go back to pick up my mirror and indicator lens from the scene, and notice I had gouged a hole in my knee, and that was my fault because I had jeans on no protection, because I was 'nipping' to Tescos.

Ouch.

I guess I must just be a big wimp. :eek:

stratman
14-Aug-07, 14:24
Riding while legless eh!!

Tubthumper
14-Aug-07, 21:36
Poor legless oriental loon
That hardy biker man
Who amputated limb on bike
While on run in Japan
So was it going much too fast?
Caused into barrier slipp-on
Or did he just misjudge his line
While putting a bit of a nipp-on?

The story give us gore details
This fella felt some pain
But never noticed leg was gone
The fact was blocked from brain
He never noticed missing bit
Until at lights he stopped
Put no-leg down to support weight
And to the ground he dropped

The realisaton struck him hard
His mates were far behind
And lying there on road with bike
A thought went through his mind
"I've lost my leg!" he cried out loud
As buddies drove up near
"Oh no you haven't, biker boy,
We have it over here!"

Boozeburglar
14-Aug-07, 22:42
Sheer brilliance Tubthumper.

Technical note, we use our left leg usually at lights...

;)

singysmum
14-Aug-07, 23:07
We had a biker friend who develloped MS. He was a great guy with a good sense of humour and when his leg started to 'give' when he stopped at road ends, causing his bike to fall, he started planning his routes so that he only had to turn left at junctions and so could quietly sneak round the corner without having to actually stop!!:lol:

j4bberw0ck
14-Aug-07, 23:39
Hang on a mo'.......... his lower right leg went missing and he didn't bleed out within a minute or so? Hmmm....... maybe. Maybe not. The sciatic artery is one of the biggest in the body and although it's pretty much split up into smaller vessels by the time it reaches the lower leg there's an awful lot of blood pressure driving the blood flow...

IANA doctor so I suppose shock could have a bearing here on blood loss but there must have been severe arterial bleeding.....

j4bberw0ck
14-Aug-07, 23:41
Did he notice when his footbrake didn't work? Maybe he thought it was a Harley........

Tubthumper
14-Aug-07, 23:42
That's Harley relevant, is it?

Boozeburglar
14-Aug-07, 23:44
Priceless!

j4bberw0ck
15-Aug-07, 00:08
That's Harley relevant, is it?

Nice one, Tubbie :lol::lol:

stratman
16-Aug-07, 19:56
A Triumph Tubbie:lol: (yama ha ha)

Tubthumper
16-Aug-07, 23:31
Maybe he'd been at the Kawa-saki before his prang. Climbed Hon-da motorbike and drove off. "Amputation?? You're Nort-On!" he cried. Someone called him rude names, "Du-catty git!" he responded.

Any more groans!!??

Solus
17-Aug-07, 00:04
Did he notice when his footbrake didn't work? Maybe he thought it was a Harley........

No, Its got to be a Triumph, you could stand on the rear brake and still feeling nothing :confused

johno
17-Aug-07, 13:33
guess he would a found out when he went to take off his boot,s, eh :eek: