PDA

View Full Version : WOW!! How smart did Wick High Pupils look!!

girnigoe
14-Aug-07, 10:09
Anyone pass Wick High School this morning?? It was a sight to behold.!!

They were all looking very smart! A lot of blazers and ties to be seen.

Well done to all and lets keep it up!! :grin:

Lets hope it may stamp out some of the bullying.....

BRIE
14-Aug-07, 10:27
got to admit my boys went off to school looking very smart in their blazers & ties.far better than jeans & a hoody.

bobsgirl
14-Aug-07, 10:33
I remember seeing the Thurso kids last year and they did look very smart.
Glad Wick are the same and I also hope that it does reduce the bullying!

My kids are only in primary school, but, I do tend to put them in full school uniform all the time.

I don't really like Jeans with the School jumpers, I think it looks awful. Each to their own though.

candyfloss
14-Aug-07, 13:18
Aye, they all looked great this morning, really smart :D

Much better to see them all the same :D

brandy
14-Aug-07, 13:51
saw them at lunch time down the street.. and they looked so very nice!!
and well turned out!
i didnt see a single kid not in uniform!
well ton Wick high kids!
you guys look really great!

botheed
14-Aug-07, 17:05
i thought they looked silly. like clones, no chance of being an individual.poor kids

BRIE
14-Aug-07, 17:14
well if it stops the bullying looking like clones isnt a bad thing! & its the childrens choice if they wear the uniform its not compulsary so it just goes to prove the kids are all for it.
They had alot of options with the uniform & most of the kids have gone for the blazer & ties which look great! well done kids!

JAWS
14-Aug-07, 17:22
Clones? No chance of being individual? I just put that down to a lack of imagination.
I wore a school uniform in my youth and I can assure you that every teacher I had would never ever describe either me or my friends as clones or of not being individuals.
The very suggestion that any one of us had been cloned would have had them screaming in horror and heading for the nearest Funny Farm for safety! :eek:

Ash
14-Aug-07, 17:24
i think its nice to see them all dressed smartly and the kids in thurso dont all look the same, well definetely not the girls as there is so many different types of trouser or skirts for them that goes with the uniform

Moira
14-Aug-07, 17:27
I didn't spot any clones today amongst the Wick High School pupils. I did see a lot of very individual, well dressed young adults. Kewl.

brandy
14-Aug-07, 17:27
would love to hear from some of the kids how they got on IN their new suits!

bluelady
14-Aug-07, 17:32
they looked well smart and no clones, as said before it was worn in differant ways but still looked smart. well done :)

Moira
14-Aug-07, 17:39
would love to hear from some of the kids how they got on IN their new suits!

Yes, Brandy - I'd like to hear their opinions too. Maybe rfr10 and a few others will be in later to tell us what they thought.

orkneylass
14-Aug-07, 17:55
This is why I don't wear slogan T-shirts - I am an individual by being me, not by what I wear. Surely a uniform can encourage the right sort of individuality ie you'd have to have some personality to stand out instead of the right designer clothes!!

i thought they looked silly. like clones, no chance of being an individual.poor kids

trix
14-Aug-07, 18:15
if i wis still at e school i wid be delited wi e new uniform. i wis always late for ma 1st class cos ma beegest problem in e high school wis sussin oot what til wear!! :D

winnie
14-Aug-07, 18:16
my kids lookt very good as did all the kids it brought a tear to my eyes to see them looking cool and smart

Tubthumper
14-Aug-07, 18:32
As opposed to the previous 'uniform' of hoodies, baseball caps, same jeans, same trainers. Slouched, hands thrust deep in pockets.
Individual right enough.
And what about those who tried real individuality at WHS? Were they applauded by the mass of kids?
Good for you Wick High School. Now let's see the standard grade and higher figures UP and the exclusions and bullying cases DOWN.

obiron
14-Aug-07, 18:55
kids i saw looked really smart and my oldest wants to wear his blazer the morra. must get a tie though. he didnt want one and now he does cos he saw how many were wearing one and how great it looked.

ANNIE
14-Aug-07, 19:00
I totally agree it is very smart and(maybe my imagination) but I think they are walking taller because their proud to been seen it it. Maybe makes them feel like proper adults instead of slouching around. It will make poeple see them as being a bit more responsible

DarkAngel
14-Aug-07, 21:02
I also agree..the kids looked really smart and good today all dressed in their school uniforms...They looked very formal! Seen them all at lunch time!

Alice in Blunderland
14-Aug-07, 22:19
All of my older kids went out in full uniform this morning and they looked so smart made me quite a proud mummy :) . I dropped them off at lunchtime and praise where praise is due all the kids loooked very smart. Didnt spot any clones, lots of individuals wearing various styles of uniform. Keep it up kids it looked great. :)

wild1
14-Aug-07, 22:26
This should have happened a long time ago was real nice to see all the kids looking so good and all the same

JAWS
15-Aug-07, 00:21
Hopefully the next thing will be that they take a pride in their school and make sure other people can see it.

Dman
15-Aug-07, 12:08
uniforms look excellent, attitudes towards the uniforms by both adults and kids seem very positive, lets hope it continues, well done on the school and the kids too keep it up.:)

BRIE
15-Aug-07, 12:17
I totally agree it is very smart and(maybe my imagination) but I think they are walking taller because their proud to been seen it it. Maybe makes them feel like proper adults instead of slouching around. It will make poeple see them as being a bit more responsible

mine were definately walking tall they loved looking smart, & the eldest spent all night practising his tie! bless!

SNOWDOG
15-Aug-07, 12:57

Being a 'clone' for part of the day wouldnt bother me if i was a bairn getting picked on because my folks couldnt afford clothes with the 'right labels'. When i was at school most of us wanted a uniform for that very reason!

NLP
15-Aug-07, 13:45
I do like the new look so much smarter than jeans, everyone looks great

botheed
15-Aug-07, 21:20
Being a 'clone' for part of the day wouldnt bother me if i was a bairn getting picked on because my folks couldnt afford clothes with the 'right labels'. When i was at school most of us wanted a uniform for that very reason!if i thought that that the school uniform would stop kids being picked on, that would be great news but thats not the case, the reality being that if u cant afford the uniform from local retailers which i say is expensive, u go to tesco which some parents have done. only to have other kids mocking them because they dont have the expensivee uniform.

brandy
15-Aug-07, 22:03
You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can't please all of the people all of the time

Tubthumper
15-Aug-07, 22:15

if i thought that that the school uniform would stop kids being picked on, that would be great news but thats not the case, the reality being that if u cant afford the uniform from local retailers which i say is expensive, u go to tesco which some parents have done. only to have other kids mocking them because they dont have the expensivee uniform.
Botheed, is there not a slim chance that kids might get picked on for attempting to be individuals, like by dressing in their own style?
Which is it you'd prefer, the kids being picked on for having the 'cheap' stuff from Tesco or being picked on for being 'different' ie individuals?
Me? I think that anything that helps to improve Wick High School's pride in itself and dragging its lamentable record upwards has got to be a good thing, for the kids (as clones or individuals), for the town of Wick, for the County.

botheed
15-Aug-07, 22:28
Botheed, is there not a slim chance that kids might get picked on for attempting to be individuals, like by dressing in their own style?
Which is it you'd prefer, the kids being picked on for having the 'cheap' stuff from Tesco or being picked on for being 'different' ie individuals?
Me? I think that anything that helps to improve Wick High School's pride in itself and dragging its lamentable record upwards has got to be a good thing, for the kids (as clones or individuals), for the town of Wick, for the County.i would prefer zero kids being picked on. i will watch with great interest if the figures go down on kids being picked on with the uniform now in operation. pride comes before a fall. i do hope im wrong.

Tubthumper
15-Aug-07, 22:35
i would prefer zero kids being picked on. i will watch with great interest if the figures go down on kids being picked on with the uniform now in operation. pride comes before a fall. i do hope im wrong.
I too would prefer zero kids being picked on. Correct me if I'm wrong, but kids were being picked on at WHS before the uniform arrived, yes? Therefore something needed to be done. And a uniform has been a key part of turning failing schools around elsewhere, therefore why not have a uniform in Wick as part of a solution to the problem? Unless there are some other suggestions for miracle solutions out there?
And a problem there is: Would anyone like to tell me precisely where WHS sits in the 'league table' of schools in Scotland? It's not up at the top, it's down near the bottom!
Therefore, never mind gurning about Tesco flaming shirts and individuals, why not think about supporting the Rector and staff in doing whatever is needed to give Wick's kids the chance to gain a decent education?????

botheed
15-Aug-07, 22:38
I too would prefer zero kids being picked on. Correct me if I'm wrong, but kids were being picked on at WHS before the uniform arrived, yes? Therefore something needed to be done. And a uniform has been a key part of turning failing schools around elsewhere, therefore why not have a uniform in Wick as part of a solution to the problem? Unless there are some other suggestions for miracle solutions out there?
And a problem there is: Would anyone like to tell me precisely where WHS sits in the 'league table' of schools in Scotland? It's not up at the top, it's down near the bottom!
Therefore, never mind gurning about Tesco flaming shirts and individuals, why not think about supporting the Rector and staff in doing whatever is needed to give Wick's kids the chance to gain a decent education?????i rest my case:Razz

Tubthumper
15-Aug-07, 22:48
i rest my case:Razz
Precisely how do you rest your case?
With the campaign to drag standards upwards? Or did you fail to read past line 1 of my post?
I find it amazing that although there is huge debate over what shirt the kids wear and how much it costs, as soon as the issue of educational attainment at WHS is brought up, it all goes silent.
Is Wick so fashion-conscious that clothing takes precedence over education providing better options in life for the kids????