PDA

View Full Version : bookies shop on corner

wi46
19-Jul-05, 20:50
Hi is it going to be a bookies or not, I heard that it is going to be a charity shop for red cross or something. any info guys

katarina
19-Jul-05, 21:08
what corner is that? Is the old alliance and leister building in wick going to be a bookies? Is it true some one is opening a sex shop in bank row?

webmannie
19-Jul-05, 21:18
I heard a well known cannabis advocate is going to be opening a cannabis cafe

Lucy
19-Jul-05, 21:53
Hi is it going to be a bookies or not, I heard that it is going to be a charity shop for red cross or something. any info guys

There was a notice in the window of the old Alliance & Leicester about a licence for a bookies. I don't think that a charity shop would spend all that money doing it up before they move in. The builders have been there for over a week putting in a new glass front - tghat must have cost a fair bit, but then again I could be wrong.

Fran
20-Jul-05, 00:45
It is definetly a bookies shop, there was a notice on the window with a contact number for people wanting jobs in it. the new window is up now.

laguna2
20-Jul-05, 09:08

There was a notice in the window of the old Alliance & Leicester about a licence for a bookies. I don't think that a charity shop would spend all that money doing it up before they move in. The builders have been there for over a week putting in a new glass front - tghat must have cost a fair bit, but then again I could be wrong.

Some charity shops would!!!! Look at all the work going on in the shop across from the Pentland in Thurso - and it is HomeAid which now has that shop!!!! Seems strange to spend a lot of money on premises when they could spend it on their "clients" after all their motto seems to be "people not profit". Seems a bit of a contradiction. Also wonder if this shop will be open any more than their present one?

Zael
20-Jul-05, 10:28
AFAIK its Ladbrokes that are moving in.

Bill Fernie
20-Jul-05, 14:50
With regard to laguna2's reference to HomeAid I would like to suggest that there is a great deal more involved than the poster seems to realise when casting doubts about spending money on new premises in Thurso. Homeaid is a Caithness charity run by volunteers and a paid co-ordinator. It has come from nothing with a great deal of dedication and hard work by members of the group.

HomeAid has been assisting low-income groups in Caithness for almost ten years. It has become increasingly difficult to source core funding to finance the services they provide. Basically no one wants to pay HomeAids ordinary, everyday kind of bills so thye have to find a way to pay them to secure the continuity of their charitable work. As sustainability is ther goal they have worked hard to secure funding to purchase their own own shop. If they do not raise most of their own running costs over the next five years there will be no HomeAid to help anyone.

HomeAid assists hundreds of the poorest members of our community each year and also offers high quality training and volunteer placements. The charity also diverts a significant amount of reusable goods from landfill every year (over 90 tonnes last year). HomeAid really does make a difference!!!

HomeAids new shop premises in Thurso are to raise funds to pay some of the costs of running the service which provides low-income groups with essential household items and provides a free collection service to householders who donate. HomeAid is currently renting a shop in Thurso at a cost of over £500 per month so when they move into the new shop they will save £500 per month in running cost immediately!!

A lot of the work on the building in Princes St. was to make the building fully accessible to the physically challenged at considerable cost, which included installing a disabled access lift and toilets, etc. This was to ensure that all members of the public could visit the building and also to make our volunteer and training opportunities open to the wider community.

Funders of the building include Transforming Waste Scotland, the Community Land Unit, Caithness and Sutherland Enterprise, Community Economic Development, Highland Council with HomeAid also contributing from locally raised fund. Even so they still do have enough funds to finish all the work required on the building and will be submitting further funding bids later this year.

No individual, agency or organisation is throwing money at HomeAid to continue its charitable work but nevertheless they are determined that, in this day and age, no one in Caithness should live in such poverty that they sleep on the floor or do without the means to cook a hot meal.

The new shop in Thurso will help them to continue to put people before profit and to relieve poverty in Caithness.

In my opinion Homeaid is one of the most rounded schemes you could come across - almost a virtuous circle of ongoing development combining social enteprise and environmentally friendly actions by taking items that would be thrown away into landfill and selling them to use the money for their on going work. Items of furniture are mainly passed on free of charge to the needy in Caithness. Furniture etc is uplifted providing a good local service and amny items are not dumped as used to be the case. Along the way they provide a good place for volunteering activites and traing for some members of the community. An energetic and dynamic group like this needs the ongoing support of the community and encouragement to keep moving on as they have been doing. their past record of expansion and determination to succeed now sees them about to move into a building where only the ground floor has been developed with funds still required for the upper floor. I would encourage any individuals or organisation to help in any way they can to further the work of this group. They have made many funding applications and we all now how much hard work is involved in that process - applications, interviews, planning, accounts and reports on the spending to funders.

They are a determined and dynamic bunch but can use any assistance anyoen can give from time to time by donations of any kind and of course especially items that you may be thinking of disposing of.

I certainly do not think that they should be criticised for pushing on with the new development of owning their own premises in Thurso. they have gathered the funds for the project and these would not be available for distribution to clietns. Rather the development will help them to develop their services further in the next few years.

A project that is at one and the same time an environmentally friendly recycling programme and bringing benefits to the needy and a pick up service to households with training and paid employment can only be a good thing and I wish there were more like them.

A new web site for the group is in development but the old one although out of date gives some idea of where they were a couple of years ago http://www.homeaid.org.uk/

I read with great interest the latest annual report of the group and it was particularly uplifitng to see how they had and were overcoming all the obstacles to get to their present position after 10 years of developing their own premises having offered great services to the area througout that period.

Next time anyone see the Homeaid van out collecting just think about all the work that they have carried out, furniture and goods collected, repaired and delivered to those in need around the county. They are moving onwards and I say well done and hope they continue to build up and move on to even better things in the future.

Bill Fernie

webmannie
20-Jul-05, 21:54
I seem to remember that particular shop for sale @ offers over £150k, thats a lot of years renting! I do not doubt that it is an ambitious project, however, dynamism must be tempered with logic. I have yet to hear or see any logic behind such a move. I think it is the wrong type of building and location for such a service, but would happily admit i'm wrong if somebody from the organisation could explain their reasoning. Plenty industrial units with loads of storage space and all on one level lying empty around the county. Will they be keeping the existing storage space as well?

Bobinovich
20-Jul-05, 23:47
While I admire HomeAid's work and what they have done over the years (as well described by Bill) I am getting seriously concerned that there is becoming less and less retail premises left in town. Charities can get lots of funding assistance to help them purchase and re-fit such a building.

This cannot be fair - I heard of a few parties who were seriously looking at the place but couldn't get the money together.

Surely it should all be on a level playing field. Businesses would be expected to put in x% themselves and to get capital in the form of grants (CASE?) and loans (Bank) to pay for the remainder - they then have to pay the loans back. Charities would again have to pay a percentage (what % in relation to a business?) but the remainder I must assume would come from assisted funding, etc.

Can anyone fill in the figures so we can see how level the field really is?

Fran
21-Jul-05, 02:14
Well said Bill. I think homeaid to a great job...I wish they were around 25 years ago when i could have done with some help. Thier present shop is far too small and their warehouse is not easy accessed by many people. They have great bargains and raise money for the poorer people but anyone can go in and buy from their warehouse. People are very generous and donate good items of furniture, white goods and televisions.
Dont throw anything out....Homeaid will come and collect it from you free of charge.

wi46
22-Jul-05, 21:01
sorry

alll I asked was the shop turning into a bookies or not???
I will not bother asking if it is all politics

Margaret M.
23-Jul-05, 02:21
alll I asked was the shop turning into a bookies or not???
I will not bother asking if it is all politics

I appreciate the insight Bill provided.

GAMEBOY2159
23-Jul-05, 17:20
YES hte old alliance is going to be a bookies with better odds than the other one ...and yes these is a new shop opening in wick its called secrets and will be doing item that will get your man or womens heart beating faster in bed so give it a try once it opens and help support them at least some one is trying to keep buisness in town just hope they get all the help from there locals to survive as no doubt the council or case wont have helped but i might be wrong..

Margaret M.
23-Jul-05, 20:37
a new shop opening in wick its called secrets and will be doing item that will get your man or womens heart beating faster in bed
:roll: We won't be needing anything from there. I gave him a very attractive blow-up doll for Christmas a couple of years back.

scorrie
23-Jul-05, 20:59
YES hte old alliance is going to be a bookies with better odds than the other one .

Better odds? I don't think so. You will find that some bookies are better on one market and worse on others. No individual bookie is always better on every market. The current bookies (Scotscoup) use Stan James for providing their odds on most sporting markets.

Perhaps you refer to Ladbrokes bigger limits. In reality no punter need ever worry about exceeding the limits, it is just a one-in-a-million pipe dream and a careful punter will always stake according to the limits to ensure there is no worry of busting the bank and not getting the full amount.

I am surprised that two bookies are allowed so close to each other. At the end of the day the demand is what it is and trade will end up being split between the two shops. Not much good in saying that Ladbrokes are bringing new jobs into the town if they end up responsible for closing the existing bookies down with a loss of jobs.