PDA

View Full Version : Plus Net Isp

~~Tides~~
19-Jul-05, 16:49
Thinking about changing over to Plus Net for my broadband. Paying £29.99 0.5Mbs just now for BT when Plus Net is £14.99 2MBs. All seemed fine and rosy and was about to order when I noticed that with Plus Net there is a ratio of 50:1, meaning you share you connection with 49 other people. And it costs about £50 to get out of once you have ordered it.

Does anyone else have Plus Net and is it any slower/worse? Greatful for any useful information regarding the above.

fred
19-Jul-05, 18:40
Thinking about changing over to Plus Net for my broadband. Paying £29.99 0.5Mbs just now for BT when Plus Net is £14.99 2MBs. All seemed fine and rosy and was about to order when I noticed that with Plus Net there is a ratio of 50:1, meaning you share you connection with 49 other people. And it costs about £50 to get out of once you have ordered it.

Does anyone else have Plus Net and is it any slower/worse? Greatful for any useful information regarding the above.

A 50:1 contention ratio is normal for home broadband and probably what you are on with BT though they do do a 20:1 if you want to pay for it. It doesn't mean you share your 2mb connection with 50 other people or that every time one of your neighbours logs on your connection slows down. If all of the people you share with were to all be downloading a large file at exactly the same time you would get a reduction in speed but in practice that doesn't happen too often if ever.

Mad Martigan
19-Jul-05, 20:39
Hi, as Fred says a 50:1 contention rate is nothing to worry about - especially over a 2mb line - the speeds will be very fast.

also Plus.net have a 45 day money back guarantee, so if you're not happy with their service they will pay for you to connect to another ISP. :D

I've only heard good things about them, and will be joining soon.

~~Tides~~
19-Jul-05, 22:40
Are 2mb connections available everywhere in Wick?

Brizer2k2
19-Jul-05, 23:20
my company has half price 2 meg adsl for £12.99 but you have to sign up for a minimum contract of 6 months. with a 50 gig fair usage policy. One off setup fee of £58.75, free if migrating from another ISP.

see - http://broadband.nildram.net

Brizer2k2
19-Jul-05, 23:22
If you enter your telephone number into this website then you can find out if your exchange supports 2 meg on your line - http://www.btwholesale.com/adslchecker/

The Angel Of Death
20-Jul-05, 10:05
WIck and thurso are 2 mb at the moment and thurso is apparently gettign an upgrade to 4 mb (i think) nothing mentioned about wich though that im aware of

im with plus net and havent had any problems at all and would recoment them to anyone that wants to get online there tech support (email) is brilliant the few tickets i raised with them were dealt with at most within a couple of hours and not days (or even weeks) like some providers

The £50 fee you get when leaving them does decrease over time to nothing but its just a case of paying when you leave instead of paying to join like some providers (my old one eclipse charged £60 to set up roughly)

Geo
22-Jul-05, 10:44
my company has half price 2 meg adsl for £12.99 but you have to sign up for a minimum contract of 6 months. with a 50 gig fair usage policy. One off setup fee of £58.75, free if migrating from another ISP.

see - http://broadband.nildram.net

Was going to bite your hand off until I checked the site. Offer is only for 3 months then back to £25.99 a month.