PDA

View Full Version : social workers get it wrong again..

justine
11-Aug-07, 22:08
Breaking news just announced on sky about a 17 month old baby boy who was under social services and on an at risk register has died due to injuries.of believe it or not a broken back, rib and missing fingernails..This has got to be the worst case that i have heard of...What should be done about situations like this.The mother and her boyfriend have been bailed to appear at a later date....

bluelady
11-Aug-07, 22:26
its absolutely terrible, and then theres e cases of young mothers who make one mistake - and i dont mean child abuse or harm, just lack of knowledge, depression etc, people who are not monsters and have the social on their backs all e time. How can these things go undetected. When my child got hurt at school a youngster - another child pushed her off a climbing frame and broke her wrist, which the school then failed to notice and made her go swimming. By the time she got home, her wrist was huge and i took her to casulty and i was questioned by no less than 3 differant staff, including a child accident investigator. My daughter had a temporary plaster and then had to have a GA the next day to re break and reset the joint. She was questioned again about e accident as she went under e gas and as she came round. We were then seen by a social worker before discharge. All this dispite her having this done to her at primary school, where she was in there care. So i cannae for the life of me fathom how persistant injuries go un-noticed, especially where neighbours etc have informed social services.:mad:

JAWS
11-Aug-07, 22:39
They obviously have no more babies they can kill. That means they are unlikely to re-offend and people who are unlikely to re-offend have a virtual right to bail.

You mustn't be too hard on the poor dears, it might upset them! :roll: Besides, their daddy might have shouted at them when they were children and traumatised them!

bluelady
11-Aug-07, 23:00
Aye, that'll be right!

corgiman
12-Aug-07, 00:44
maybe while they are bailed some good citizen who knows them will return the favour :( what kind of world are we living in? that poor poor child my heart breaks just thinking about the pain and suffering. something needs done and fast as obviously the current system just is not working :mad:

crayola
12-Aug-07, 00:49
They obviously have no more babies they can kill. That means they are unlikely to re-offend and people who are unlikely to re-offend have a virtual right to bail.

You mustn't be too hard on the poor dears, it might upset them! :roll: Besides, their daddy might have shouted at them when they were children and traumatised them!Hev ye taken an overdose of facetious pills tonight Jaws?

What I don't understand is why the social work department doesn't recruit from the org because we orgers would do a lot better job. Taxi firms should do the same. And central heating companies. And political parties. And pension fund managers. And the police. And renewable energy companies. Oops, I forgot, some have already been there and done at least one of those jobs.

Hey orgers, let's go take over the world, we would run it much better than it's ever been run.

Oops, time to take my pills. Here we go, facetia nervosa first, despotia meglamoania next, sardonia thursona last, and all washed down with a triple voddy and coke. Mmmmmm, nice.

orkneylass
12-Aug-07, 13:19
How many thousands of kids and families are helped by social workers through confidential services quietly provided and not making newspaper headlines? We live in a wierd world where battered kids are the fault of social workers, fires the fault of firemen and crime is the fault of the police....and ofcourse, when things do go wrong and the finger is pointed, who remembers that people doing difficult jobs who are not superhuman or clairvoyant have feelings too.....so let's all consider the social workers that will be feeling deeply upset by this.

Ash
12-Aug-07, 13:28
its awful, and i bet those social workers are feeling bad! and im sorry so they should!

how on earth could you not notice what was going on, its not like it hadnt been reported, these awful things keep happening!

jsherris
12-Aug-07, 13:38
.....so let's all consider the social workers that will be feeling deeply upset by this.

Sorry, Orkneylass, I apologise, but I disagree. Maybe if the said social workers lived and worked in a community type area, that may well be true, but in the big towns & cities, if it all goes wrong, the first thing they do is look for a way to pass the buck.
When I first moved here in Blackpool, I spent some time in our local council offices typing up for social workers, & while they were all rather nice people, they back pedal quick as can be when it started looking like they weren't handling a situation correctly - then when Joe Public demands to know what went wrong, the good old Spokesperson for the Council is pushed out to face the critics & press.
I'm not saying they don't care, of course they must care. else they wouldn't be doing the job in the first place - a large part of the problem is having the social workers believe that they have powers higher than the law... and don't even get me started on that comment after I have stood and watched my friend fight tooth & nail for her grandchildren for 2 years - and has now failed, meaning 3 children have now been condemned to a life in permanent foster care - our system is at times shameful - other times it's great - it depends on the individuals making up the relevant departments, in different areas around the country, and there's not much we can do about that.
Julie

Cattach
12-Aug-07, 15:23
I have not seen or heard any evidence or reason to blame Social Workers in this instance. Surely they have a right ti be considered blameless until there is direct evidence of blame. We live in a blame society with people immediately jumping to conclusions and aportioning blame without good cause.

justine
12-Aug-07, 16:21
I have not seen or heard any evidence or reason to blame Social Workers in this instance. Surely they have a right ti be considered blameless until there is direct evidence of blame. We live in a blame society with people immediately jumping to conclusions and aportioning blame without good cause.

The social workers were actively involved with this little one.All the injuries were inflicted in the last few days....

Another case highlighted where social workers were in volved was a 3 yr old little girl in hull who was on an at risk register. She was enrolled into a nursery at their say so but after four days she failed to turn up.The child had no bedding. When the paramedics found her she was lying on the floor in the living room covered in blood. The police found clumps of her hair in the wheelie bin outside, and bloody swipe marks on the wall in the house, on furry handcuffs that were used to restrain the child....All this was done in a four week period and you are tyelling me that we cant blame social workers....I am sorry if i sound off about this but my god son was murdered by his father at the tender age of 7 weeks old by being violently shaken. At the trial i found out that he had more fractures than ribs.His father was sentenced to a minimum of 10yrs and the mother was given three years probation. She sat and watched this happen....I am a mother and i know how hard it can be, probably more than most as some will know i have 8 children of my own...They can make you angry but being adults we shopuld deal with it, not take it out on a defensless child....I hate it when i hear of any child having a hard time but when it comes down to a 17, mnth old with a broken back, ribs and missing fingernails, who was being monitored by social workers you can not tell me that they are not to blame....Someone already pointed out that some people end up with a social worker for the slightest mistake. This is not a mistake it is MURDER, and they should be investigated to find out what the hell went wrong.....

orkneylass
12-Aug-07, 18:14
And given that the social workers cannot watch every family 24/7 and being on the at risk register does not mean constant checks, where were the relatives and neighbours in this scenario? When everyone thinks it is up to the state to sort everything out, they abdicate their personal responsibilities. Who would have the courage under these circumstances to be a social worker, a teacher, a doctor, a policeman etc....? Not me!

Cattach
12-Aug-07, 21:58
Justine said:
The social workers were actively involved with this little one.All the injuries were inflicted in the last few days....

Exactly, Justine. No matter how often a social Worker attends they cannot be there 24/7. Things can happen a day, even an hour after a home visit. And they need great reason to take children into care - do so unneccessarily, or as seen so, by society and they are wrong again. Having worked closely with social workers though not one myself I can safely say they have hard, thankless job which those on the outside often do not appreciate. It is easy to criticise without knowing all the facts.

Julia
12-Aug-07, 22:21
What I cannot understand are women who know what is going on but turn a blind eye or who put their boyfriend/husband before their own children, an increasing amount of women seem to know what is going on under their very noses but choose to do nothing about it until it's too late! Where is their maternal instinct. Don't get me wrong, it's not always women, men are guilty of this too.

I'd recommend reading 'A child called it' by Dave Pelzer, it's a remarkable story of how one little boy overcame years of awful abuse at the hands of his alcoholic mother.

Ash
13-Aug-07, 09:00
ive read that book, and its truly horrific!

when i got with my partner i was neverous about how he would be with my wee one who was 1 1/2 at the time, as he hadnt been around kids, and you can never be to careful these days - we have been together for over 2years now and he is her daddy they are great together, so many single mums let to many men in to their kids life - you need to be careful:confused

Angela
13-Aug-07, 10:26
when i got with my partner i was neverous about how he would be with my wee one who was 1 1/2 at the time, as he hadnt been around kids, and you can never be to careful these days - we have been together for over 2years now and he is her daddy they are great together, so many single mums let to many men in to their kids life - you need to be careful

You are so right there, Ash.
It does seem sometimes that young women can be so desperate to hang onto a man -any man - that they forget all about their kids' needs and shut their eyes to any problems. Even if nothing really dreadful happens, the children can stll have a whole procession of different men in their lives, which can't be good for them.
It's so good to hear that everything is working out so well for you three.:) :)

Ash
13-Aug-07, 10:41
You are so right there, Ash.
It does seem sometimes that young women can be so desperate to hang onto a man -any man - that they forget all about their kids' needs and shut their eyes to any problems. Even if nothing really dreadful happens, the children can stll have a whole procession of different men in their lives, which can't be good for them.
It's so good to hear that everything is working out so well for you three.:)
:)

thank you for that angela, i refused to just let any man into my wee ones life, she has only ever known one man and thats who she calls daddy, it breaks my heart to see young women like myself being so naive, and it also gives young mothers like myself a bad name