PDA

View Full Version : What would you rescue?

Angela
11-Aug-07, 14:09
Due to fire or flood, you've had to abandon your home.:(

Thankfully, all people and animals are safe. :)

You've got just enough time to take out 3 items with you -which 3 things would you choose?

I would have to save my ancient stuffed Eeyore, a wooden box containing all the jewellery my hubby gave me over the years, and the album of family photos that haven't ever made it onto the computer....

Royster1911
11-Aug-07, 14:15
1. My computer
2. My HD TV
3. My Cameras

I need new clothes so no point saving them:~(

floyed
11-Aug-07, 14:15
This was quite hard to do cause most things can be replaced clothes, furniture ect but here are the things i would rescue -

My photo albums would be first, secondly i would take the few bits of jewelery i have that are special to me and lastly i would take my bag with all ma bits in bank cards ect.:D

anneoctober
11-Aug-07, 14:16
All my family tree stuff, photo's of all my bairns & grandchildren and MOST important my house insurance documents! :D
NOW of course I have to find all these treasures and keep them together.......:eek:

karia
11-Aug-07, 14:22
Hi Angela,

This actually happened to me so I know.:(

Photos, documents and medication.

Not very exciting but saved me a lot of worry and hassle.

Karia

golach
11-Aug-07, 14:36
My Insurance Policies .....Number 1
My Backup Disc......Number 2
Videos on my Sons Weddings & Grandkids growing up Number 3

Angela
11-Aug-07, 14:36
Hi Angela,

This actually happened to me so I know.

Photos, documents and medication.

Not very exciting but saved me a lot of worry and hassle.

Karia

Yes, I can see that it would, karia. :( I'm very sorry to hear you were in that situation.

I've moved about so much that I travel rather light these days. Maybe I should swop my (very full) filing cabinet for poor old Eeyore though? :confused

johno
11-Aug-07, 14:44
PHOTOGRAPHS......MEMORIES
MY PC
DOCUMENTS...INS POLICIES
BANK CARD,S SO WE COULD GET NEW CLOTHES SAME DAY.
MP3 PLAYERS ,,,TOOK LONG ENOUGH TO FILL THEM ..2 HELL WITH DOING THAT AGAIN FOR A WHILE[lol]

jsherris
11-Aug-07, 14:56
I'd leave the insurance papers & all that to Andy - but he'd grab the PC tower - that's got all the info on it anyway...

I'd grab:
Burtie Basset's sofa - but he's on it about 23 hours a day, so maybe it would have come out with him, unless it had been surgically removed prior to the disaster....

The TV remote for Andy - because he doesn't realise how much he depends on it, but I know he's a pain in the butt without it!

Razors for Nikki my youngest, because if we were to be rescued by some fit firemen, Nikki would be mortified if her legs weren't done!

As for me, well, as long as I had the family & animals out with me, that's ok - there's nothing more precious to me than them.
Julie
x

NLP
11-Aug-07, 14:58
1=photos
2=the bairns dolls (I couldn't take the moaning for them)
3=bells I got from mum before she died

Liz
11-Aug-07, 15:36
(1) My 50 year old Teddy Bear.
(2) Photos
(3) Money and credit cards!

Everything else could be replaced.
Really, really hope that none of us ever need to do this though!:eek:

cuddlepop
11-Aug-07, 15:48
I'd save my photo albums,documents and computer.

Hope we never have to though.We live in a wooden house and I think we've got less time to get out:eek:

northener
11-Aug-07, 16:37
1. My collection of celebrity toenail clippings.

2. A lampshade.

3. My lucky bag of gravel.

Torvaig
11-Aug-07, 16:44

2. A lampshade.

:lol:...........................................

Angela
11-Aug-07, 16:52

2. A lampshade.

Ummmmm...why the lampshade? :confused :roll:

munchkin
11-Aug-07, 16:55
all my me to you`s
purse
important documents:Razz

northener
11-Aug-07, 17:07
Ummmmm...why the lampshade? :confused :roll:

Because you never know when you might need a lampshade.......

Tugmistress
11-Aug-07, 17:08
1. my fags
2. car keys
3. wallet

Angela
11-Aug-07, 17:10
Because you never know when you might need a lampshade.......

Wow, northener...did your avatar just this moment appear? :eek:

northener
11-Aug-07, 17:20
It surely did. Just realised my old John Cleese Gumby avatar has gone AWOL.

Good job I saved my lampshade - otherwise i'd have a big problem coping with the trauma of losing my avatar.

htwood
11-Aug-07, 17:47
I had to abandon my house once (Oakland firestorm 1991); my children were safely at my parents house, my then-husband was on a drinking expedition to the high country. I quickly packed an overnight bag for each child, the family photos, documents, and Buddy the Budgie. Didn't have time to pack for myself, but had my handbag with creditcards.
It changed my life forever, even though house didnt burn down, and I remain ready to run for it.

johno
11-Aug-07, 18:07
PHOTOGRAPHS......MEMORIES
MY PC
DOCUMENTS...INS POLICIES
BANK CARD,S SO WE COULD GET NEW CLOTHES SAME DAY.
MP3 PLAYERS ,,,TOOK LONG ENOUGH TO FILL THEM ..2 HELL WITH DOING THAT AGAIN FOR A WHILE[lol]
CHRIST MRS JOHNO ,LL KILL ME I FORGOT ON HER TWO YORKIE,S.
PUT THEM ON T, TOP O THE LIST :eek:

Angela
11-Aug-07, 18:13
CHRIST MRS JOHNO ,LL KILL ME I FORGOT ON HER TWO YORKIE,S.
PUT THEM ON T, TOP O THE LIST :eek:

Calm down Johno, watch that blood pressure now!

I did say all people and animals were safe....

Unless, like my Eeyore, they're only stuffed? ;)

johno
11-Aug-07, 18:24
Calm down Johno, watch that blood pressure now!

I did say all people and animals were safe....

Unless, like my Eeyore, they're only stuffed? ;)
140 OVER 78 LAST TIME IT WAS CHECKED 2 MONTH,S AGO.:p

Bonnie
11-Aug-07, 18:35
Photo albums, computer (just the tower with hdd), last but not least, my Runrig cd's.

brandy
11-Aug-07, 19:35
i do actually remember when i was a child.. maybe 7ish.. we had to evacuate because the mountain was on fire.. and the whole town was evacuated.the police came door to door.. was on the radio everything. helping to load people up and get us out.. i can still remember we were told to leave everything and i mean everything behind that was non essintial. photos and all. we were only allowed documents, meds and the clothes on our backs basically. we were really quite lucky they got it controlled before the town burned but.. i can remeber my granpa thinking that the interstate.. (motorway) 4 lanes of road with barriers between it would stop the fire.. however it jumped the motorway and kept going.. they drained ponds and lakes to put that fire out..
i had a dolly that my granpa bought me.. and i wouldnt let her go for nothing. its funny how you remember that.. we had ourselves and a change of clothes. went to my grandparents and stayed at least a week. so was scary but a big adventure for me.. still can rememmber the black smoke every where though!

horseman
11-Aug-07, 21:04
Northerner you'r wicked but nice.;)

karia
11-Aug-07, 21:10
Northerner you'r wicked but nice.;)

He has his own lampshade, of course he's nice.

Have you ever met someone wielding both an axe and a lampshade?

not enough hands, you see?!;)

K.

Julia
11-Aug-07, 21:54
My three items would be

My teddy, Winny
My jewellery box
and of course the PC

If only I had a bag of lucky gravel, I'd take that too!

moureen
11-Aug-07, 22:02
Thats easy first thing my sons ashes,second the cat,third thing nothing really possesions do'nt mean much to me now.

Foxy
11-Aug-07, 22:40
My 3 items would be
1 Family photographs
2 Cattle passports
3 Purse.

olivia
12-Aug-07, 23:25
Do you know Angela this really got me thinking! And I've come to the conclusion that as long as the family and my cat were safe nothing else really matters - I suppose if I was really pressed to take something it would be the family photos and my wedding photos, but I doubt if I would have time to find them all - now thats got me thinking - I had better get my stuff sorted out just in case (oh dear) I'll be having nightmares now!

Kenn
12-Aug-07, 23:34
All necessary documents i.e insurance ,passports etc.
Photo albums,
A very special clock that cannot be replaced and has great sentimental value.

Solus
12-Aug-07, 23:44
motorbike keys, my grandfathers old clock and picture of me and my partner on our first holiday together !

brandy
13-Aug-07, 00:33
a dif situation. but this morning.. ( and have been thinking about this post all day because of it) hubby went to run a bath.. and fell back to sleep.. now directly below the bath room is the kitchen.. on top of the fridge was Toms box. inside his box.. is all the cards, church services, pictures, teddies.. and in a bag his teddy and blanket from the hospital. the blanket has never been washed and i never want it to be.
well as you can imagine.. tub ran over and water started pouring down from upstairs.. i heard water running looked to see water pouring from cealing!
i started screaming for don.. and he jumped awake and ran and switched off tub.. about this time i noticed water was hitting toms box.. i started screaming.. OH GOD DON HELP ME>> TOMS BOX IS GETTING WET!!now im a clutter bug.. i had just piled all the kids drawings, odd lettters, and odds and ends on top of the fridge.. even the fire exstinguisher was there! at first i was trying to move things.. by this time i was shaking and crying.. begging don to get down and help me.. as he was trying to fix upstairs.. finally i just lost it.. shoved everything off the top of the fridge.. fire extinguisher hit the floor.. (lucky it didnt explode!) and grabbed toms box ran to the living room and sat down and cried as i went thru it to see what was damaged!!
thankfully, his blanket and teddy which are wrapped in a bag was on top and caught the water.. so nothing actually got wet inside the box.
it really hit me today, if i had to save anything personall from the house that would be it.
we can take more photos , and make more memories. but that is something that can never ever be replaced.
its funny how material things can mean so much.
if i lost that box.. i would morn it for the rest of my life.

psyberyeti
13-Aug-07, 00:39
with:

1. High-viz jacket
2. industrial boots
3. safety specs

Sorry, the training is engrained (is that the right word?) in us now. We would not be able to do anything else.

Use your common sense does not seem to apply anymore.

OK, if I was not a number, I would save:
1. my photo collection (which is on my computer)
2. Jess the cat as he is partially blind and would need help:(
3. My book on 'How to Understand Women', which I would just slip into my wallet with my credit cards:lol:

we do have a bugout kit ready to throw in the car - I just hope we never need it.

Lolabelle
13-Aug-07, 07:56
I think I would rescue my photo's, music and business back up discs. So we can still get paid!!

TRUCKER
13-Aug-07, 08:41
I Would Rescue Photos And Bank Cards And Rescue Discs For The Computer.