PDA

View Full Version : What's Lurking in Yours?

karia
11-Aug-07, 12:43
Afternoon Guys,

Have just been taking an 'inventory' of my freezer and alongside the inevitable curries and chillies, soups and sausages, i have 'recovered' 10 bags of meat....light meat, could be chicken,turkey or pork, dark meat,..maybe beef,or lamb,..tuna perhaps! Your guess is as good as mine.:roll:

Are you lot just as bad, or is everything labelled and organised in your 'frozen depths'?

Karia

anneoctober
11-Aug-07, 12:51
Have uncovered a duck ! Also what looks like venison (my hubby loves the stuff - but I can't eat Bambi!) apart from those items, I'm feeling pretty optimistic with myself......:lol:
PS . I have absolutely NO problem eating lamb !!:roll:

Torvaig
11-Aug-07, 13:35
Afternoon Guys,

Have just been taking an 'inventory' of my freezer and alongside the inevitable curries and chillies, soups and sausages, i have 'recovered' 10 bags of meat....light meat, could be chicken,turkey or pork, dark meat,..maybe beef,or lamb,..tuna perhaps! Your guess is as good as mine.:roll:

Are you lot just as bad, or is everything labelled and organised in your 'frozen depths'?

Karia

Nah, if everything is labelled it spoils the surprise.....;)

justine
11-Aug-07, 13:36
i always seem to come up with a stray sausage, potato waffle and the preverbial pea....No matter how many times i clean it out i always find frozen peas at the bottom.......I would love to be able to get hold of a good piece of venison, but when i look in the butchers it always looks horrid. If any knows of a good venison supplier i would be very happy indeed...Nowt wrong with a bit of bambi...

JAWS
11-Aug-07, 13:54
The only thing you need to label in a freezer is the body of anybody you murder. It saves the police an awful lot of work if you forget who it was! :D
Discovering what is at the bottom of the freezer is more exciting than opening Christmas Presents except it doesn't happen quite as often.

karia
11-Aug-07, 13:58
And another thing!

Does anyone else buy those 2Kg bags of frozen ice cubes and then feel guilty at the sheer stupidity of having paid MONEY for frozen water.:roll:

Then again ice cube trays are the devil's work and the bags are even worse.
You end up chasing them all around the room, which is less than ideal when you are after a nice relaxing G&T.:)

Maybe I'll let myself off the hook.

Karia

jsherris
11-Aug-07, 14:01
Oh dear... I can reel off everything in my freezer - without even looking!
If I make anything, I label it - if anything gets bagged up, it gets labelled.... maybe I have 'Freezer OCD'..... then again, I can always remember my mum cooking some individual pies off that she'd made - dished up with mash & veg & gravy.... and they were fruit ones!

Maybe that memory haunts me today subconsciously... :lol:

anneoctober
11-Aug-07, 14:07
Oh dear... I can reel off everything in my freezer - without even looking!
If I make anything, I label it - if anything gets bagged up, it gets labelled.... maybe I have 'Freezer OCD'..... then again, I can always remember my mum cooking some individual pies off that she'd made - dished up with mash & veg & gravy.... and they were fruit ones!

Maybe that memory haunts me today subconsciously... :lol:
Heaven help Lybster...what with freezer OCD, the two masculine Sue's down your road, fruit pies wi gravy & mash....JULIE, you're gonna fit in WELL [lol]

jsherris
11-Aug-07, 14:15
Heaven help Lybster...what with freezer OCD, the two masculine Sue's down your road, fruit pies wi gravy & mash....JULIE, you're gonna fit in WELL

You'd best watch it, Anne - the 2 Sues reckon they're going to come visit once we're settled... I might just bring them for a visit to The Sticks...... :eek: [lol]

anneoctober
11-Aug-07, 14:19
[quote=jsherris;254067]You'd best watch it, Anne - the 2 Sues reckon they're going to come visit once we're settled... I might just bring them for a visit to The Sticks...... :eek: /quote]
Bring it on, Julie.....I could wi a hand in the garden !! [lol]

Angela
11-Aug-07, 14:41
Karia, I'm spared a lot of embarrassment here as I don't have a freezer.

When I did -it was always at least one third full of miscellaneous and unidentifiable bags and "bricks"....justified by me thinking it worked out cheaper to run it full....:roll:

All the nice stuff always got gobbled up within a couple of weeks!;)

NLP
11-Aug-07, 15:03
I used to label everything and write it on a list stuck to the freezer so I knew that I had. Now I don't have time and I find all sort of things, when the wee one was even wee'r I give her baby rice and (apple) which turned out to be turnip she loved it.

bluelady
11-Aug-07, 23:50
With my lot, i dare not look ... LOL [lol]

mums angels
11-Aug-07, 23:53
And another thing!

Does anyone else buy those 2Kg bags of frozen ice cubes and then feel guilty at the sheer stupidity of having paid MONEY for frozen water.

Then again ice cube trays are the devil's work and the bags are even worse.
You end up chasing them all around the room, which is less than ideal when you are after a nice relaxing G&T.:)

Maybe I'll let myself off the hook.

Karia

i have two bags of them in my freezer at the moment ..:D

emszxr
12-Aug-07, 08:28
i have 2 chest freezers and 2 small freezers, so quite a bit. probably about a whole deer in various cuts, half a lamb and some various cuts of a pig. frozen home grown veg and fruit. and then the usual emergency pizza and pie and chips.

Lolabelle
13-Aug-07, 06:08
I have some stray choppyish looking things??? A hundred million thousand gluten free shepherds pies, that looked good at the shops and tasted awful when I got them home. But they might be useful in an emergency or if I forget how bad they tasted.
Bread bags with 1 crust in them and other things that are labeled, but labels are unreadable. :eek:
I do try to do the right thing occasionally. But it backfires so why bother??:confused

helenwyler
13-Aug-07, 10:16
I have to admit I'm a bit of a slut when it comes to keeping the chest freezer in order...my excuse is that it's in a shed at the bottom of the garden and I had a nasty experience there a few winters ago[para].

It was dark, but the shed has an electric light. When I switched it on about 10 young rats scarpered so fast they seemed to fly, up to the top shelf where MrW keeps his rarely-used but prized tools, and stared at me, an intruder... OMG!!

It all happened in a flash and the sound of ten young strong rat bodies hurtling themselves against thin wood, the scraping of nails, flapping of tails...

...afterwards it seemed like I had wound up some macabre Victorian mechanical toy, a fiendish version of Hickory Dickory Dock!!

Well we've had pest control out etc. etc. but I always bang loudly on the door before I enter now and chuck things in the freezer before beating a hasty retreat!

When MrW helped me clear out just before we went on hols this year we found the usual desiccated chicken fillets, powdery bread and shrivelled escapee peas, but to our delight an unopened bottle of vodka which neither of us have any memory of putting there...maybe we'd already drunk the first one[lol]!

Angela
13-Aug-07, 10:20
Well we've had pest control out etc. etc. but I always bang loudly on the door before I enter now and chuck things in the freezer before beating a hasty retreat!

Oh Helen, I have this hilarious image of you knocking on your own shed door, saying "Excuse me, ratty! Can I come in now please?" [lol] ;)

jsherris
13-Aug-07, 10:26
....... but to our delight an unopened bottle of vodka which neither of us have any memory of putting there...maybe we'd already drunk the first one!.....

Alright, it's Monday morning.... but I have to ask.... why would you put a bottle of vodka in the freezer?

Just wondered....
Julie

helenwyler
13-Aug-07, 10:44
Oh Helen, I have this hilarious image of you knocking on your own shed door, saying "Excuse me, ratty! Can I come in now please?"

Haha Angela:lol:!! I'm afraid what I'm saying to myself is not so Wind in the Willows-ish (tho I did play the part of Mole in a school production once)...

Ratty is a delightful character but I don't find shed rats as endearing as water rats[lol].

helenwyler
13-Aug-07, 10:52
Alright, it's Monday morning.... but I have to ask.... why would you put a bottle of vodka in the freezer?

Because good vodka has a very low freezing point and can be left in a freezer without solidifying....think of Russian winters[lol]!

jsherris
13-Aug-07, 10:57
Because good vodka has a very low freezing point and can be left in a freezer without solidifying....think of Russian winters!

Thanks for that Helen! You can tell I'm not much of a drinker, huh?
I'd just leave the bottle in the cupboard....... but then again, with Andy & the girls, it probably wouldn't be there long!