PDA

View Full Version : Wasp nest help!!

Corsastu
10-Aug-07, 17:19
Was ripping out old bushes in the drive last night when i came across a wasps nest.Cant see it clearly as the bush is in the way and a wall is on the other side and plus i got stung on the head so dont want to get to close.Phoned the council and there pest controller is on long term sick leave and so is the person that covers them so i was told to phone rent to kill a company in inverness.I dont want to get them the whole way up here so i was wondering if there was anyone locally that removes them.

Thanks

northener
10-Aug-07, 20:54
Can't help with pet control people but I could tell you how to get rid of a wasps nest if you get really stuck - could be a bit difficult given the location, though.

Ricco
10-Aug-07, 21:30
Years ago my Dad found a wasp nest in a low wall between split level lawns. So he poured some petrol in and tossed a match. Didn't have lift the lawn an inch or two! Oh, and got rid of the wasps as well. :lol:

karia
10-Aug-07, 21:47
Hi Corsastu,

Local councils should have a responsibility to provide pest control.

Temporary shortages in personnel should be covered by alternative arrangements and services provided free, should remain free.

If the council were suggesting that you finance a private company to deal with this situation, I suggest that you speak with your local councillor at their local surgery.

karia

Bobinovich
10-Aug-07, 22:00
When we had a wasps nest under the house (they were using a nearby airbrick for entrance and exit) the council did say it would cost us to get rid of them (can't remember how much), but as the relevant person was on holiday, we'd have to wait anyway.

With our kids miserable stuck inside we ended up calling a guy from further sooth (Mrs Bob thinks it was Invergordon) who came up the very next day and did the deed at a cost of £80 which wasn't bad considering the distance he had to travel.

Thankfully haven't been bothered by them too much since and must say I've only seen a handful this summer which is a bonus :)!

Lolabelle
10-Aug-07, 22:27
We get really bad paper wasps and they are viscious.
At nightfall when they all go back to the next, Dave gets an old metal curtain rod (about 8ft) and ties an old rag in a wad on the end with wire, puts methylated spirits of some flammabel liquid onto it and lights it. I stand at the ready with the hose incase he catches the house of fence on fire. And he then burns the nest. This causes some wasps to escape and chase him around the yard and wave an 8ft flamming torch all around to get them before they get him. I'm not sure what is more frightening the wasps or Dave, but it does work and it gets rid of them. It burns their wings off and they cant get you then. Then totally destroy the next and wait till next year. :eek:

alistair harper
10-Aug-07, 22:48
Hi there had a council pest controller out a couple of years ago we had wasp's nest under tiles on roof they charged £35 pound did a great job havn't had any wasp back since the old petrol trick seems to work but be carefull you dont want one of them wasps chasing you with a can and matchs around better leave it to the experts.

Take care

northener
11-Aug-07, 09:22
PM'd Corsastu regarding this.

Worth bearing in mind you don't have to light the petrol. Pour it in and just stop up the hole.

The fumes will kill all the wasps very quickly, this was told to me by a beekeeper a few years ago and it certainly works. - Lighting it is unnecessary if you do not wish to damage yourself or the surrounding area.

Need to watch the wasps for a while beforehand to make sure there is just the one entrance/exit to stop up.

Ricco
11-Aug-07, 19:24
We get really bad paper wasps and they are viscious.
At nightfall when they all go back to the next, Dave gets an old metal curtain rod (about 8ft) and ties an old rag in a wad on the end with wire, puts methylated spirits of some flammabel liquid onto it and lights it. I stand at the ready with the hose incase he catches the house of fence on fire. And he then burns the nest. This causes some wasps to escape and chase him around the yard and wave an 8ft flamming torch all around to get them before they get him. I'm not sure what is more frightening the wasps or Dave, but it does work and it gets rid of them. It burns their wings off and they cant get you then. Then totally destroy the next and wait till next year. :eek:

ROFL - loved that tale, Lolabelle. My imagination filled in the images - really funny! :lol: