PDA

View Full Version : Is it just me......

Oddquine
10-Aug-07, 16:43
or does everybody into Family History get sucked into the "connections" syndrome.........I'm up to 5600 and rising............and the connections are getting further and further out!

It's an addiction.........I wonder if there's a support group for it! :Razz

Kingetter
10-Aug-07, 16:50
or does everybody into Family History get sucked into the "connections" syndrome.........I'm up to 5600 and rising............and the connections are getting further and further out!

~
I've 'borrowed' this from elsewhere -

HOW MANY RELATIVES DO YOU HAVE?
Think you have enough to keep you busy??
Let's see...........................
1 YOU
2 parents
4 grandparents
8 g grandparents
16 gg grandparents
32 ggg grandparents
64 gggg grandparents
128 ggggg grandparents
256 gggggg grandparents
512 ggggggg grandparents
1024 gggggggg grandparents
2048 ggggggggg grandparents
4096 gggggggggg grandparents
8192 ggggggggggg grandparents
16,184 gggggggggggg grandparents
32,768 ggggggggggggg grandparents
65,536 gggggggggggggg grandparents
131,072 ggggggggggggggg grandparents
262,144 gggggggggggggggg grandparents
524,288 ggggggggggggggggg grandparents
1,048,576 gggggggggggggggggg grandparents
2,097,152 ggggggggggggggggggg grandparents

http://sjgenes.blogspot.com/

Support Group? Just each other I guess.

marionq
10-Aug-07, 18:32
Oddquine, it is a black hole which sucks you in just like following a mystery novel I keep mine under control by refusing to put into the tree anyone I cannot absolutely prove is related.

I also find that many people ask me how to go about researching family history but few want to do the ground work and would rather plunge into the distant past in the hope that this or that interesting person of the same name actually does belong to them.

The only sure way to do it is to start with yourself working back generation by generation establishing connections as you go. Over time new info crops up sometimes where you least expect it. Personally I am frightened to count up how much I have spent on the scotlanspeople website but on the other hand it has given me more lasting pleasure than the average night out!

Good hunting, Oddquine,
Marion

airdlass
10-Aug-07, 21:02

If there is a support group then sign me up!:Razz. I usually end up finding out loads of information for distant connections etc but can't find out what happened to my closest relatives. Enjoy the search etc though!

robynaus
13-Aug-07, 04:26
Try doing it from here Oddquine. Every body has left and scattered all over the world. You hang on to any relative you can find no matter how distant.

Still I did manage to find a cousin (afew times removed through this site and Genesreunited). I've done the scotlands people and the free sites too.

So now I know a little of my G-fathers past and by coming here I have been able to compare the postcards I have with the modern pictures of Keiss on this site.

It has been truly wonderful and my hope is that I will be able to find some of my G-mothers family in Ireland too.

Oh yes and my Mum's father as well and that is another interesting story!

the more the merrier I say!!!!!!!!!!!

regards to all robyn

bluelady
13-Aug-07, 20:21
if you have enough info (which a lot can be traced through the census), you can compere notes and simalarities and oke out any ones that dont match. As a rule if a person has 5 matches or more, then they are most likely to be related. You need to keep comparing notes and info with a direct match until you prove if its a relative or not. I have managed to trace a direct line back to 1700's and have some descendants from their brothers and sisters, these i put into the distant relative cat.