PDA

View Full Version : Rant Time

Ash
10-Aug-07, 15:48
im soo mad, was just in lidl doing my shopping with my 3year old, had quite a few heavy bags so called a taxi(couldnt get my usual one) it was ormlie taxis, on the way home it started pouring down, he pulled up quite abit from my house, i heard the boot open and he said there u go, he sat there and watched me struggle with the heavy bags and my 3year old and soon as the boot was shut he sped off!!!

talk about nice!!!!!!!![disgust]:mad:

corgiman
10-Aug-07, 16:13
I know some would see it as a common courtesy but on the other hand if the driver were to say drop your shopping by mistake or trip and hurt himself then I dont suppose he would be covered by his insurance as his job is to drive not deliver shopping to the door.

plumber
10-Aug-07, 16:15
You should have left the boot open and made him go out to close it :(

Ash
10-Aug-07, 16:25
lots of other taxi drivers do it
its just because it was raining and he was to lazy!

dunderheed
10-Aug-07, 17:07
sorry i disagree , a taxi driver is not oblidged to help someone with their shopping. more to the point it might have meant that he would have had to spend (depending on when he started) the rest of his shift sitting with wet breeks and shirt.

even more to the point would you have been on here spouting about your taxi driver not helping if it had been a woman??

thought not.

Ash
10-Aug-07, 17:13
not at all, lots of female taxi drivers have helped me with my shopping!

so dont try and make out im sexist

nannydip
10-Aug-07, 19:08
I think it just depends on the taxi driver, most happy to help. Some are very caring, you see them at the co-op really going out their way to help, particularly with the elderly. They deal with the bags of shopping, put the trolley back , help customer in to car and always do it with a smile and kind word.

Sorry Ash, just bad luck with you're driver, better luck next time :roll:

Victoria
10-Aug-07, 19:18
sorry i disagree , a taxi driver is not oblidged to help someone with their shopping. more to the point it might have meant that he would have had to spend (depending on when he started) the rest of his shift sitting with wet breeks and shirt.

even more to the point would you have been on here spouting about your taxi driver not helping if it had been a woman??

thought not.

your right dunderhead the taxi driver isn't oblidged to but isn't it a sad state of affairs that he didn't even offer.

and I hate to start a debate about sex but I think you'd find that a woman taxi driver may have had a bit more compassion for Ash.

mr do dar
10-Aug-07, 20:11
i totally agree he should of helped you he saw you were struggling .... with your bags its bad enough but with a 3 year old child aswell it takes the .....buiscuit to be polite

that taxi firm shame on you :mad:

Thumper
10-Aug-07, 20:46
Ash if I were you firstly I would have finished putting shopping and child safely in house then shouted out to the driver that I couldn't leave the child unattended so could he come to door for payment-at least that would have made him get off his bum in the rain even if it was only for a few moments, then I would have phoned Ormlies and asked them exactly what policy they have when it comes to drivers helping out with shopping just so that you would then know for future reference if you can't get your preffered taxi firm x

sam
11-Aug-07, 09:58
Has it occurred to anyone that if the Driver got out to help everyone in the rain, he would be driving around in wet clothes for the rest of his shift, something i for one wouldnt like to do, so wouldnt expect anyone else to either.:confused
Some folks only ever think of theirselves[disgust]

saxovtr
11-Aug-07, 10:01
thats a bit mad tbh,a toddler and heavy bags he just watched you struggle,thats sick!!

sam
11-Aug-07, 10:04
so if she had been in her own car and it was raining she would still of been in the same situation, or would she of expected the neighbours to rush out and help. my mam had 6 kids and used to go shopping on the bus with us all rain or shine as did many others mothers back then did you here them complain and whinge NO, some folk just dont know how lucky they are[disgust]

rhino
11-Aug-07, 10:07
I believe you should treat others as you'd like to be treated yourself. Ash, just use another taxi firm next time and ask for a driver who will help cos you've got shopping. I used to use a bus in Inverness with 2 small childen, shopping and buggy and almost every driver got up to help me if I was struggling because I asked them to.:)

saxovtr
11-Aug-07, 10:12
so if she had been in her own car and it was raining she would still of been in the same situation, or would she of expected the neighbours to rush out and help. my mam had 6 kids and used to go shopping on the bus with us all rain or shine as did many others mothers back then did you here them complain and whinge NO, some folk just dont know how lucky they are[disgust]

no sympathy at all,godsake shes struggling with shopping and a bairn!!!

me i dont like seeing people struggle with stuff as for yourself you dont care,most selfish comment ive seen this week on the org,well done to you

sam
11-Aug-07, 10:17
why thankyou...... I take it you will be offering to take ash shopping next week then.
OH and B.T.W...... I can manage with my kids & shopping on the bus in the rain so i fail to see how others cant, if that makes me selfish Tough [disgust]

NickInTheNorth
11-Aug-07, 10:22
I think most folks are coming at this from the wrong angle. Clearly a taxi drivers job is just that. Driving.

That there are some (and indeed probably many) that will get out of their car and help with shopping etc is great, and we should all be thankful for that.

But to be up in arms because one particular driver didn't want to get out in the rain is wrong.

Was he asked to help?
Or was it just expected?

As several others have said, it would have meant sitting around in wet clothing for the rest of his shift - would you like to do that?

And who knows, maybe the driver has some kind of disability that makes it difficult to get in and out of the car or to carry shopping or whatever.

The world owes us nothing, so please lets not complain when it delivers exactly that. Oh and lets all remember to say a real big thank you to those who do go the extra mile and deliver service above and beyond :D

saxovtr
11-Aug-07, 10:23
why thankyou...... I take it you will be offering to take ash shopping next week then.
OH and B.T.W...... I can manage with my kids & shopping on the bus in the rain so i fail to see how others cant, if that makes me selfish Tough [disgust]

its not about the rain that was only mentioned,but as far as i can see from the post it was heavy shopping and she was struggling,whats wrong with that people do struggle and a selfish taxi driver not able to spare 2minutes to help is just mad!

sam
11-Aug-07, 10:27
Did Ash ask for help?
The taxi driver isnt here to give his side of it, so everyone just jumps on the band wagon slagging him off, there are always two sides to every story.
If the shopping was so heavy then why not go at night when her partner was home to help?
its all fair and well blaming others when we have to struggle at times but hey thats life lol:confused

saxovtr
11-Aug-07, 10:28
Did Ash ask for help?
The taxi driver isnt here to give his side of it, so everyone just jumps on the band wagon slagging him of, there are always to sides to every story.
If the shopping was so heavy then why not go at night when her partner was home to help?
its all fair and well blaming others when we have to struggle at times but hey thats life lol:confused

taxi's may have been busy,but 2minutes of his time isnt asking for much oh well that is life i guess

Ash
11-Aug-07, 10:29
he did not have a disability he helped me put the shopping in the car when it wasnt raining, so its just cause he didnt want to get wet!:mad:

saxovtr
11-Aug-07, 10:30
he did not have a disability he helped me put the shopping in the car when it wasnt raining, so its just cause he didnt want to get wet!:mad:

lol that explains it then

NickInTheNorth
11-Aug-07, 10:31
So the guy helps you out and then you slag him off. Not very nice of you.

Ash would you like to sit around in wet clothes for 4 or 5 hours?

saxovtr
11-Aug-07, 10:32

the rain wasnt that bad wasnt exactly gona be soaked to the skin unless she had 500000000 bags

sam
11-Aug-07, 10:33
No 2 minutes of his time isnt asking much, but was he asked? I doubt if he was he would of said "No do it yersel":roll:

Ash
11-Aug-07, 10:34
oh god, he expected me to close is boot tho!!!!

im not sayin i expected him to help but it was the fact that
a) its was lashing down
b) i had ALOT of HEAVY shopping
c) he never even parked right outside my house

saxovtr
11-Aug-07, 10:35
ok well leave it at that then

saxovtr
11-Aug-07, 10:42
il also add bad repping me wont make a difference its a green symbol below my name why not jsut say it to me lol

corgiman
11-Aug-07, 10:46
I must just say it was literally lashing with rain cos I got soaked just going outside for about 30 seconds.

Ash
11-Aug-07, 10:49

i would never watch someone struggle which i was clearly doing![evil]

saxovtr
11-Aug-07, 10:56
i would never watch someone struggle which i was clearly doing![evil]

idiots on here!!!

Ash
11-Aug-07, 11:03
idiots on here!!!

thank you saxovtr! and clearly its not us! lol:lol:

sam
11-Aug-07, 11:07
idiots on here!!!

Just because we dont share your views?

saxovtr
11-Aug-07, 11:10

no problem

corgiman
11-Aug-07, 11:12

so anyone with a differing view is an idiot in your mind?????? How smug and rude, forums are full of different viewpoints if you don't want them don't start topics.

sam
11-Aug-07, 11:14
il also add bad repping me wont make a difference its a green symbol below my name why not jsut say it to me lol

theres just no getting through to some folk, why not find out who the taxi driver is that you are freely slagging off and go say all you have to say to him.

saxovtr
11-Aug-07, 11:16
theres just no getting through to some folk, why not find out who the taxi driver is that you are freely slagging off and go say all you have to say to him.

got threw to me,i will tell him then,whats his name?

sam
11-Aug-07, 11:20
i'm sure ash can tell you who he is, after all she is the one who started this public slagging off in the first place and i bet she never even said a word to the driver at the time[disgust]

saxovtr
11-Aug-07, 11:23
i'm sure ash can tell you who he is, after all she is the one who started this public slagging off in the first place and i bet she never even said a word to the driver at the time[disgust]

i should hope not,i dont believe she should have been angry or swearing infront of a child

sam
11-Aug-07, 11:25
i should hope not,i dont believe she should have been angry or swearing infront of a child

You can actually put your point across firmly without being angry or swearing lol, or is that just the way of some of the younger generation:confused

jsherris
11-Aug-07, 11:33
Calm down everyone.

Firstly, Ash, might I say that this gent may well have known that you prefer to use another firm, although this shouldn't have made any difference to the service you received. Obviously, you paid him in the taxi before you got out to get your shopping, right?
So - and here's the delicate bit... did you give him a tip? It might not have been as much as he was expecting - and no, I don't believe that people in the service industry should expect to be tipped, but it's common practice amongst us. But if there was no tip, he may have been feeling a little on the dour side. He might well have thought that he didn't want to get soaked halfway through his shift - Then again, if he wants to avoid pitfalls such as these in his line of work, then he maybe shouldn't be doing it in the first place.

In future Ash, here's a tip for you.... leave your handbag in the boot with your shopping - when it's time to pay, tell the driver that your purse is in the boot - they will certainly want to / have to get out of the car if they want their fare.

Whatever the circumstances, a reasonable service should always be provided by people who work within the service area - but if it isn't, then don't be afraid to pick up the phone and talk with someone higher up the chain - if you remain calm & state your complaint clearly, then at least you've done your bit. And next time, vote with your feet and use someone else.

Another tip Ash.... one that I used a fair bit when my girls were little...
After paying & before getting out, just say 'right, I'll just get this little one in & come back for my bags'..... by the time you emerge from the house, you usually see a taxi driver heading up your path with said carrier bags! ;)
Julie
x

Angela
11-Aug-07, 11:34
Ash, I'm confused, did you ASK the driver for help? :confused

I have to use taxis quite a lot at the moment as I'm struggling with sciatica.

Taxi drivers are only human, like the rest of us, and have good and bad days.

I've found some couldn't be more helpful, readily giving me a hand to get me and my shopping in and out of the taxi -here we have black cabs, which can be quite difficult to get into and out of.

Other drivers are obviously just prepared to do the job I pay them for, which is getting me to my destination, but even then, I've found that if I ask them politely to help me get me and my shopping out of the taxi, they never refuse.

I wouldn't expect them to do any more than that though, although occasionally I've found a real sweetheart who does offer to take everything right to my door! :D

Ash
11-Aug-07, 11:41
oh god i wish i never started this!

has nobody on here ever been annoyed about something and wanted to have a rant!?

sam
11-Aug-07, 11:41

im not sayin i expected him to help but it was the fact that
a) its was lashing down
b) i had ALOT of HEAVY shopping
c) he never even parked right outside my house

But you started this thread complaining that he didnt help you, so yes You were expecting him to help:confused

Ash
11-Aug-07, 11:43
whatever, never started this to have an argument!:mad:

sam
11-Aug-07, 11:47
its not an argument its a difference of opinion...... i.e. some of us dont share your opinion lol.... If you didnt want people to disagree with your opinion then why put it on a public forum?

JAWS
11-Aug-07, 11:55

I would have left the boot open! Besides, you might have trapped your fingers in the boot and the insurance might not cover you for that.

j4bberw0ck
11-Aug-07, 12:26
Perhaps you'll find a helpful taxi driver one day who's also a central heating engineer and he can sort out two whinges for the price of one :lol: .

bluelady
11-Aug-07, 12:35
im soo mad, was just in lidl doing my shopping with my 3year old, had quite a few heavy bags so called a taxi(couldnt get my usual one) it was ormlie taxis, on the way home it started pouring down, he pulled up quite abit from my house, i heard the boot open and he said there u go, he sat there and watched me struggle with the heavy bags and my 3year old and soon as the boot was shut he sped off!!!

talk about nice!!!!!!!![disgust]:mad:

i dont think Ash is slagging him off as such, just letting us know how unhelpful he was. Most people, Taxi drivers or not would help someone struggling. This person has a public image to portray as a representative of a reputable company. Its a case of not wanting to put ones self out.

Boozeburglar
11-Aug-07, 12:37
It is a totally reasonable expectation to get a bit of help unloading shopping, and especially in a downpour when you have a wee kid to watch.

Anyone who thinks it is unreasonable is welcome to their opinion, but they are wrong and if a taxi driver hasn't the wit to carry waterproofs when they work in Thurso they really are not safe to be out in public.

Maybe some of you don't appreciate that taxis fulfill a slightly different role in Thurso than in, say, Blackpool. They are more akin to community transport, with the poor public transport available, and they benefit from having a set minimum fare, even if you are just taking one round the corner with your shopping.

When I was younger I used to use them as though they were my own car, sometimes four times a day. Word of mouth is a strong tool in Thurso, I remember several taxi firms suffering a loss of trade on the back of one or two rude drivers.

Next time you see that taxi pull up at the rank you won't use it right?

Tell your friends too.

Get in the next one.

As for being allowed to have a rant, there are obviously people unable to understand your initial post in this thread, and feel necessary to share their wisdom on the matter. Some of it coming from folk with no idea about the taxis in Thurso.

Torvaig
11-Aug-07, 13:32
whatever, never started this to have an argument!:mad:

It's ok Ash; we all have days where we just want to get something off our chests without is turning into WW11. Just leave it be; some of us understand...

crayola
11-Aug-07, 14:30
Taxi drivers down here tend to help you out with your baggage whether you like it or not. :lol:

connieb19
11-Aug-07, 14:50
I thought the taxi's had meters, once the meter was stopped and Ash had paid him that was his job done. He could ave left the meter running until he had carried her shopping into the house but then she probably wouldn't be too happy about the price he would have charged.

jinglejangle
11-Aug-07, 15:39
Perhaps you'll find a helpful taxi driver one day who's also a central heating engineer and he can sort out two whinges for the price of one :lol: .

lol - and maybe the taxi driver is a cleaner in his spare time who could clean the public toilets after his shift!!!

question - ash out of interest DID you ask the driver to help?? if you didnt then i dont believe you should come on here slagging him off - if you didn't ask for help he may have assumed you were ok. i have 2 small children - they are my responsibility and i don't assume people are going to help me with them - especially if i don' ask!

Ash
11-Aug-07, 16:08
at no point to i expect him to look after my wee one!!!

I KNOW THAT MY CHILD IS MY RESPONSIBILITY THANK YOU VERY MUCH

im terribly sorry if i dont like dirty toilets im glad u do!

also i was just asking about my heating !

jinglejangle
11-Aug-07, 16:13
at no point to i expect him to look after my wee one!!!

I KNOW THAT MY CHILD IS MY RESPONSIBILITY THANK YOU VERY MUCH

im terribly sorry if i dont like dirty toilets im glad u do!

also i was just asking about my heating !

I apologise - I worded last message wrongly as I know you never asked for the driver to look after your wee one. I meant that I have 2 small children and that is my responsibility but just because I have 2 kids under nursery age doesn't mean that I expect people to help me when I am struggling around the supermarket or lugging bags, push-chair and little one around the town!

I don't like dirty toilets - just fail to see why people have to debate the fact on here!! Just think that if people don't like something they should contact the people responsible as something will be done then!

again, asking about the heating - just contact an official then they will be given a factual answer!

badger
11-Aug-07, 18:40
Jumping into this a bit late but, having seen the question asked so many times without it being answered - Ash, did you ask for help ??? If not maybe the driver thought you were an independent modern woman who would be insulted by having her bags carried. Many men no longer offer seats on trains/buses, stand aside or even offer to carry things for women these days because they're likely to get a rude reply. So if you didn't ask, maybe he thought you didn't want help. It's not exactly unusual since feminism became a cause.

So, please tell us - did you ask ?

Ash
11-Aug-07, 18:44
no i never asked

it was clear i was struggling, i mean you have seen lidls bags

*Martin*
11-Aug-07, 19:03
That's nothing! When I was in a wheel chair I needed to take a taxi from Sandras to the Bowling Alley! I opened the back door and put ma wee lass in. Opened the front door and put my shopping bag in. Asked the guy if he'd give me a hand sticking the chair in the boot (only to be ignored) so I
wheeled to the boot.
Opened it and started dismantling the parts of the chair I could and put them to the boot.
Went to the passenger side.
Transferred in.
Started dismantling the chair.
Only when I "accidentally" banged it against the car did the guy get out and put it in the boot.

Then when we got there he took the chair and set it on the ground beside the open door. So I had to wheel to the boot to put it back together!

Now that was service :roll:

The worst part is he was my "patient transport" about two weeks earllier for Physio so it's not like he didn't know how to dismantle the chair! (No where near as good as Len and Paul 01847 811555 -did you see that cheap plug?)

badger
11-Aug-07, 19:35
Martin - maybe this driver is not allowed to help someone in your circumstances when acting as a taxi driver, even though he can as patient transport. If his insurance doesn't cover him for something going wrong he could be in trouble. It's also a different situation from Ash's who didn't ask for help so the driver probably thought she either didn't need or didn't want it. These days men have to act differently from the way they once did if they don't want to risk a rebuff or downright rudeness from a "modern" woman.

Ash
11-Aug-07, 19:44
for goodness sake fair enough to say a taxi driver didnt have to help me but what is the world coming to when someone watches a person in a wheelchair struggle!

what on earth is the "modern woman" u KEEP refering to !?:confused

horseman
11-Aug-07, 20:54
ash you are entirely in the right-with a youngster, the dogsbreath should have leapt out an aided you-I allways did when I was in that job. What if it was a right poorly customer?in the cold an rain of course!
Nice take julie but should be natural to a guy in thay job!jaws I like it!Thanks bluelady,Badger-modern men don't work like that.Martin magic Cracker ash Rember that first post,'quite a bit from my house'! courtesy kindlyness,I don't know ,I am lost for words.

Julia
11-Aug-07, 21:19
Jumping in here a bit late but really I wouldn't expect a lift in with my shopping unless I'd got a lift home in the supermarket's delivery van, in my experience if you don't ask you don't get, in this day and age it's better just to make clear what you want rather than expect it!

Never assume, and when you don't get what you want it's probably not a good idea to moan about it and especially on here, the whole scenario could have been avoided by just asking 'would you mind giving me a hand in with my shopping?' I'm quite sure any decent person would not refuse a polite request.

bluelady
11-Aug-07, 22:50
ash you are entirely in the right-with a youngster, the dogsbreath should have leapt out an aided you-I allways did when I was in that job. What if it was a right poorly customer?in the cold an rain of course!
Nice take julie but should be natural to a guy in thay job!jaws I like it!Thanks bluelady,Badger-modern men don't work like that.Martin magic Cracker ash Rember that first post,'quite a bit from my house'! courtesy kindlyness,I don't know ,I am lost for words.

just to put a spanner in the works -if Ash was dumb (mute) or deaf, how would she have asked then? minding she had no hands free of course, a load of rubbish, anyone, man or woman would offer a hand to someone who appeared in need. Companies get business via word of mouth and its good practice as im sure the owner of e taxi's would agree,as for e independant woman nonsense, thats a cop out, im sure a man in that predicament would have appreciated a hand too. And isnt a forum used for many things? one being to share experiances and get other opinions. I dont know Ash myself but its begining to look like a witch hunt.

j4bberw0ck
11-Aug-07, 23:52
And were she a Martian, how would she have asked? Or known how to open the door? Or pay the fare? Do they have Clydesdale Bank pound notes in the Bureau de Change on the Earth - Mars ferry?

Bluelady, do get serious and get that silly spanner out of the works. If she was a deaf mute she'd have a card to give people to explain. Probably some personality, too. As a Martian, I suppose the space suit might be a bit of a giveaway.

bluelady
12-Aug-07, 00:00
Aye right and what planet do you hail from? Why are people having a go at a girl for daring to voice her opinion, If it were you, i bet you would moan. Live and let live, shes made a fair comment:(

j4bberw0ck
12-Aug-07, 00:07
Why are people having a go at a girl for daring to voice her opinion, If it were you, i bet you would moan.

Nahh mate, don't generally do moaning. I like being part of the solution rather than part of the problem.

Just pointing out that we can play "what if" games with ever more ludicrous what-ifs until the cows come home, and move no further forward.

Nanu, nanu! Live long, and prosper!

bluelady
12-Aug-07, 00:12
And are you not just doing that ? forgive us all that dare'th to have an opinion

crayola
12-Aug-07, 00:29
I dont know Ash myself but its begining to look like a witch hunt.Ouch, this was a lot of fuss about not very much, but now it's getting serious. :eek:

j4bberw0ck
12-Aug-07, 00:37
And are you not just doing that ?

I think that was the joke............ :roll:

forgive us all that dare'th to have an opinion

Always! But now the heavies have arrived and I retreat from the might of the estimable Crayola before she clips me round the ear and sends me packing :lol:

crayola
12-Aug-07, 01:03
Estimable? I am supremely inestimable as you well know. ;)

Let me say that I would have helped Ash without a second thought irrespective of whether or not she had asked.

changilass
12-Aug-07, 03:17
So the driver gets out to help, ends up soaking wet, car stinks of damp, customers complain, driver catches cold ends up off work for a fortnight, as a self employed person he/she has to come up with money to pay bills - who cares about the driver and his/her starving kids having to walk to school in the rain cos daddy or mummy is too ill to drive them???

Boozeburglar
12-Aug-07, 11:04
I think it is basic common decency, and the driver was an idiot.

Furthermore, Ash or anyone else is entitled to moan wherever they want, and that includes this message board.

;)

golach
12-Aug-07, 11:30
So the driver gets out to help, ends up soaking wet, car stinks of damp, customers complain, driver catches cold ends up off work for a fortnight, as a self employed person he/she has to come up with money to pay bills - who cares about the driver and his/her starving kids having to walk to school in the rain cos daddy or mummy is too ill to drive them???
Well said Changilass, the voice of reason as usual, and putting the other side of this discussion in a fair light

Boozeburglar
12-Aug-07, 11:43
What would be reasonable is that the driver carries waterproofs.

angela5
12-Aug-07, 11:57
There's a sad decline in courtesy and manners and many people don't see the benefits of either any more. It would make life so much better if people were courteous and spared a thought for the ones around them.

bluelady
12-Aug-07, 12:07
There's a sad decline in courtesy and manners and many people don't see the benefits of either any more. It would make life so much better if people were courteous and spared a thought for the ones around them.

i totally agree with you angela5 :)

Boozeburglar
12-Aug-07, 12:29
Just in case anyone using a wheelchair encounters problems, although the regulations for mini cabs are less strict you are definitely entitled to help.
The Disability Discrimination Act 1995: The Government's proposals for taxis

Q15.
Taxi drivers sometimes refuse to carry me when they see my wheelchair. Will this be an offence under the Act ?
A15.
Yes. Section 36 of the Act requires a taxi driver to carry a passenger in a wheelchair and to do so without additional charge. A taxi driver who fails to carry out this duty commits a criminal offence and can be prosecuted by the local licensing authority (see Enforcement).
Q16.
Although I use a wheelchair, I prefer to transfer to a seat for a long journey. Will the taxi driver help me ?
A16.
Yes. Taxi drivers are required by the Act to offer assistance to disabled people and to load a wheelchair into and out of the taxi if the passenger does not wish to remain in it.

connieb19
12-Aug-07, 12:30
He's more likely to catch a cold from a customer coughing or sneezing, If he's that bothered about catching a cold IMO he's in the wrong job. Isn't it a bit of an over exageration that if he'd got out to help Ash his kids might starve? :confused If we all thought like that we would be afraid to leave the house.

karia
12-Aug-07, 12:39
Hi Folks,

I thought all that taxi drivers were obliged to do was assess whether their passengers would like a political rant or a quiet journey....
...and then provide them with the opposite.:)

karia

j4bberw0ck
12-Aug-07, 12:58
Hi Folks,

I thought all that taxi drivers were obliged to do was assess whether their passengers would like a political rant or a quiet journey....
...and then provide them with the opposite.

karia

For years I've suspected I missed my true vocation in life......... :lol::lol: . My new business card:

************************************************** ************************************************** **

J4bberw0ck's Taxis - A Rant A Mile
Speciality subjects include:
Politics, politicians, the EU, economics and treatment of terrorists / Express readers!
(Rant du jour available on request)

Quiet journeys by prior arrangement (mwuahahaha!!)

Shopping carried and doors opened cheerfully in return for a smile and "thank you"

************************************************** ************************************************** *********

Has a certain je ne sais quoi, wouldn't you say?

karia
12-Aug-07, 13:06
J4bberw0ck!

That was just PERFECT!:lol:

'Taxi for Karia!' You'll know me by the copy of 'The Guardian'
under my arm.;)

K.

j4bberw0ck
12-Aug-07, 13:13
Arrgghh.... a Grauniad reader!

Better steer clear of economics, then :lol::lol:

jsherris
12-Aug-07, 13:44
Whispers.... I am so glad I don't read a daily... I stick to our daily local for what is directly relevant to me..... anything else is gleaned from news sites & news progs on the telly!

Julie - thinking that sometimes, ignorance really is true bliss!

Julia
12-Aug-07, 14:21
What would be reasonable is that the driver carries waterproofs.

'Oh wait a minute madam, I'm telepathic you know, I'm just picking up your thought waves now, bear with me, I think I've got it! Can you wait a few mins so I can clad myself in my waterproofs, I won't be long but it takes a bit longer than normal to dress in the constraints of the front seat of my taxi, once dressed I will be happy to assist you. I'm sending you a telepathic message now, do you hear it?'

Boozeburglar
12-Aug-07, 14:34
Well it takes me all of two seconds to grab my coat when I need to step outside in the rain, are taxi drivers somehow impeded?

golach
12-Aug-07, 14:39
For years I've suspected I missed my true vocation in life......... :lol::lol: . My new business card:

************************************************** ************************************************** **

J4bberw0ck's Taxis - A Rant A Mile
Speciality subjects include:
Politics, politicians, the EU, economics and treatment of terrorists / Express readers!
(Rant du jour available on request)

Quiet journeys by prior arrangement (mwua

hahaha!!)

Shopping carried and doors opened cheerfully in return for a smile and "thank you"
Large Gratuities Please

************************************************** ************************************************** *********

Has a certain je ne sais quoi, wouldn't you say?

I amended you business card a little J4bber lol

j4bberw0ck
12-Aug-07, 14:49
I amended you business card a little J4bber lol

Thank you, golach! Large gratuities always are always welcome, indeed :lol: .

Julia
12-Aug-07, 17:02
I'm hope the poor taxi driver isn't an orger and has read all this hoo haa over nothing, his lugs must be burning by now! :(

badger
12-Aug-07, 18:55
Sorry been out all day so missed your question about "modern woman" Ash. Maybe female equality hasn't reached this far north but I can assure you in the cities of the south, even back in the days when I lived in London, once women decided they were equal men stopped offering the courtesies they once took for granted because the woman on the receiving end thought she was being patronised and was more than likely to refuse. I think it's a pity if any offer of help is rejected rudely but I can see that if women demand equality then a man offering to carry a woman's shopping can be seen as insulting as he is insinuating that he is strong and she is weak, which no longer applies.

Actually I suppose tough women are not that modern - think of those women who carried heavy baskets of fish up and down Whaligoe Steps.

Ash
12-Aug-07, 19:01
ok then thanks for clearing that up :confused:eek:

Angela
12-Aug-07, 19:12
My son's certainly found this to be the case. He's naturally polite and helpful (or maybe that's down to me ;)) but he now hesitates to offer a woman a seat on the bus or train, or even to hold doors open for women....quite often the response is a chilly glare or a snide comment.

I'd brought up the subject after a particularly stressful train journey...as usual there were no seats on the commuter train from Edinburgh back to Fife, and there was I standing there, carrying a laptop, a briefcase and bags of shopping. I wasn't the only more "mature" woman left standing either and several young men, carrying nothing at all, were comfortably ensconsed in seats. Have you noticed how a woman is invariably carrying something?

I asked my son what he'd have done in that sitiuation, and he said he always used to get up and offer an older woman a seat, but had mostly given up doing it now because of the reactions he'd got....unless it was a very much older person...male or female.

Then he make my day by saying "Thing is, Mum, you just don't look old enough!" [lol]

Angela
12-Aug-07, 19:20
Arrgghh.... a Grauniad reader!

Better steer clear of economics, then

Delighted to see you've been inspired to set up this new business.....

But where was Taxi J'w0ck this afternoon when the skies opened and I soooo needed your assistance? :confused

Could it be the sight of my Observer (well, it is Sunday) tucked under my arm put you off stopping for me? :lol:

karia
12-Aug-07, 19:30
Hi Angela,

Hope you weren't rained on as 'LIBERALLY' as we were![lol][lol]

Karia

j4bberw0ck
12-Aug-07, 19:49
Could it be the sight of my Observer (well, it is Sunday) tucked under my arm put you off stopping for me?

Hope you weren't rained on as 'LIBERALLY' as we were!

Nahhh...... nae Daily Records and nae Daily Expresses. Always stop for ladies in distress though, regardless........ Must have missed you today; my apologies :lol::lol:

Angela
12-Aug-07, 19:52
Nahhh...... nae Daily Records and nae Daily Expresses. Always stop for ladies in distress though, regardless........ Must have missed you today; my apologies

That's a shame, we'd have been so liberal with our tips! ;)

karia
12-Aug-07, 20:15
That's a shame, we'd have been so liberal with our tips!

yep! We'd have been more than 'fair' !;)

Karia

JAWS
12-Aug-07, 22:41
I'm glad you posted this thread, Ash, it has served to confirm my belief that animals are far better company, are far more intelligent and are of far more use than a large number of human beings.

If I ever see you struggling you will not have to grovel on your bended knees and beg for a little assistance, you will find that help will be given out of a sense of common courtesy. Neither will I be checking to see if there are any rules or excuses which I can use as an excuse for being ignorant enough not to do so.

One thing is certain, were a taxi driver-driver to treat me with that amount of discourtesy I would not waste my breath in pointing it out to him I would simply make a mental note that the firm was one to be avoided at all costs.

jsherris
12-Aug-07, 23:15
Jaws, I was going to agree with you on the animal score....but then I was also flicking thru my dog pix on the PC, and that sort of muddied the waters!

http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t62/jsherris/Burtie004.jpg

Julie [lol]

j4bberw0ck
12-Aug-07, 23:40
served to confirm my belief that animals are far better company, are far more intelligent and are of far more use than a large number of human beings.

You'll be wandering off to your cave in the hills, then, and eschewing heating, power, piped water, food you didn't kill for yourself, your computer and all other luxuries? :lol::lol:

Take the rough with the smooth, Jaws, and don't be too upset when other humans fisk (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fisking) your arguments.

crayola
13-Aug-07, 00:02
I don't normally do the multiple quote thing but there's a time and a place for everything.

So the driver gets out to help, ends up soaking wet, car stinks of damp, customers complain, driver catches cold ends up off work for a fortnight, as a self employed person he/she has to come up with money to pay bills - who cares about the driver and his/her starving kids having to walk to school in the rain cos daddy or mummy is too ill to drive them???Goodness me, that's a rather strange post. A sequence of highly improbable events is used to justify an opinion that disagrees with mine.

Well said Changilass, the voice of reason as usual, and putting the other side of this discussion in a fair lightThe previous poster's objection is unsurprisingly upheld by a poster who has demonstrated several times that he can draw the wrong conclusion when the right one is staring him in the face. We aren't talking opinions here, we are comparing extremely unlikely chains of events with more probable ones.

He's more likely to catch a cold from a customer coughing or sneezing, If he's that bothered about catching a cold IMO he's in the wrong job. Isn't it a bit of an over exageration that if he'd got out to help Ash his kids might starve? :confused If we all thought like that we would be afraid to leave the house.Agreed. On all cases. This is what's called common sense golach. You should try it some time.

Well it takes me all of two seconds to grab my coat when I need to step outside in the rain, are taxi drivers somehow impeded?Apparently. A sturdy golfing brolly does the trick nicely too. I keep a military strength one in the car at all times for occasions such as these.

Sorry been out all day so missed your question about "modern woman" Ash. Maybe female equality hasn't reached this far north but I can assure you in the cities of the south, even back in the days when I lived in London, once women decided they were equal men stopped offering the courtesies they once took for granted because the woman on the receiving end thought she was being patronised and was more than likely to refuse. I think it's a pity if any offer of help is rejected rudely but I can see that if women demand equality then a man offering to carry a woman's shopping can be seen as insulting as he is insinuating that he is strong and she is weak, which no longer applies.

Actually I suppose tough women are not that modern - think of those women who carried heavy baskets of fish up and down Whaligoe Steps.My point has nothing to do with feminism or modernity. I would automatically help if I were a taxi driver and golach emerged from my taxi in the pouring rain with bucketloads of shopping and a three year old grand-daughter under his arm.

Last (almost) but not least, it is evident that complaints on these forums often draw a reaction that would not occur if the complainant drew attention to the problem at the time. It's harder to hide your mistakes if they're washed in public. (Apologies for the half metaphor.)

Finally, I'd probably have asked the taxi driver for help if it hadn't been forthcoming voluntarily. If that was refused I would tell all my friends and post the whole sorry tale on the forum. And then I'd take a hot bath with my favourite Lush bathtime luxuries. ;)

Boozeburglar
13-Aug-07, 00:20
Here here.

Torvaig
13-Aug-07, 09:07
Jaws, I was going to agree with you on the animal score....but then I was also flicking thru my dog pix on the PC, and that sort of muddied the waters!

http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t62/jsherris/Burtie004.jpg

Julie [lol]

Aww.... they are georgeous!

helenwyler
13-Aug-07, 09:20
he pulled up quite abit from my house,

Sorry if this has already been pointed out, but I've been away and still catching up...

Ash, I would have insisted he pulled up right outside your house before you parted with any cash, as this is presumably where you asked to be dropped...

Failing a landslip or man-eating beast:mad: prowling outside your home, wouldn't this be part of your contract with the taxi-driver?

corgiman
13-Aug-07, 12:09

This is the quote that I found rather rude ash, not the fact that I did not agree with your thinking and this is the post that I negative repped you on. post number 32

Ash
13-Aug-07, 12:22
maybe you need to lighten up abit!:confused:eek:

corgiman
13-Aug-07, 12:24
I'm not the one complaining about someone not carrying my shopping

karia
13-Aug-07, 12:54
Hi Crayola,

Now you want this poor cab driver to carry a sturdy golfing brolly!:roll:

That only leaves him with one hand free for the shopping bags, possibly none if the wind is up!;)

Karia

Lolabelle
13-Aug-07, 13:07
Well what a thread. You certainly know how to get em going Ash.
Firstly I think that it is rude not to offer assistance to a mum with a young child and obviously a heavy load of shopping. Ash, you could have asked. And as for the dying of a cold from the rain??? Well, I am sorry if this is an incorrect assumption, but don't you have air conditioning or heaters in your cars in the UK?? He could easily have turned on the heater and been dry quite quickly, that has been my experience in those kind of circumstances.
My Dad was a taxi driver for a time and he always helped people with strollers, prams, wheel chairs, and shopping.
He even somehow managed to help with a robbery, only he didn't know it at the time, [lol].
He was the getaway car/taxi...

Ash
13-Aug-07, 13:08
I'm not the one complaining about someone not carrying my shopping

you just dont seem to be getting the post:confused

changilass
13-Aug-07, 13:10
A taxi drivers job is to drive from point A to point B, if he/she does more than that, ie carry shopping, he/she is doing over and above his/her duties, it is not your right to have shopping carried. If you choose to go shopping with your children it is your responsiblity to look after them, if you get so much shopping that you can no longer supervise your own child you can hardly blame the driver.

Taxi drivers do however, have a duty to ensure disabled passengers can use their service, this involves lifting a chair into and out of the boot.

jsherris
13-Aug-07, 13:17
He even somehow managed to help with a robbery, only he didn't know it at the time, .
He was the getaway car/taxi...

Lolabelle, how funny! That happened here in Blackpool last year at my eldest's local post office!
The guy went in with a replica handgun, held up the post office, came running out & flagged down a taxi.... gave him an address a couple of miles away, but changed his mind halfway through the journey & asked to be taken to the local police station!
He even told the taxi driver WHY!
What's that they say, fact being stranger than fiction!

And before anyone starts, NO, I'm not saying armed robbery is funny, but the story in its entirety is so surreal, you couldn't make it up!

Julie
x

Angela
13-Aug-07, 13:19
I used to find it very hard to be assertive...and the result was I'd put up with things when I probably shouldn't have, then later on I'd feel really annoyed and need to have a big aggressive rant...often at the wrong person! :roll:

Now that I'm a lot older, I've learnt to be a lot more assertive....in a polite way. It usually works! :)

Ash
13-Aug-07, 13:27
[quote=changilass;255237] If you choose to go shopping with your children it is your responsiblity to look after them, if you get so much shopping that you can no longer supervise your own child you can hardly blame the driver.

i was supervising my child thank you very much! never said i wanted driver to watch my child, my point is that regardless of the rain or having a child with me - it would have been nice for some help

changilass
13-Aug-07, 13:38
Nice - YES, but not your right, which is why I don't understand your rant. Had the driver been speeding or driving erratically I would totally support your rant, but to rant because you are not getting special treatment is IMHO going over the top.

Ash
13-Aug-07, 15:07
what dont u understand?!

this man watched me struggle with my shopping, i had dropped stuff and still watched me struggle!

im terribly sorry but if that was me id offer my help

NickInTheNorth
13-Aug-07, 15:14
and that ash makes you a nicer person that the cabbie. But it does not mean you have any right to expect him to do it.

Feel free to feel he was idle, not nice, or whatever, but get over yourself.

No-one has the right to expect anyone else to do "stuff" for them.

Ash
13-Aug-07, 15:34
at any point on here did i say i expected it? No i never:confused

emszxr
13-Aug-07, 16:05
i used to get this all the time, men not offering help, but you get used to it. i used to do removals and haulage and alot of the time men would just watch me, but sometimes as it happened i was stronger and fitter than them anyway, so they would have just got in my way anyway.

NickInTheNorth
13-Aug-07, 16:28
at any point on here did i say i expected it? No i never:confused

So this thread is about you getting a taxi home, and not expecting the taxi driver to get out and help you when it started raining :eek:

Ash
13-Aug-07, 16:36
ur just out to start a fight, im allowed to discuss things i dont agree with

Ash
14-Aug-07, 16:11
Reopened!

Have Fun Lol

Billy Boy
15-Aug-07, 20:08
just out of curiosity Ash...... If you had been on the bus would you of expected the bus driver to get out and help you with your shopping,:confused cos its the same thing, they both driver public transport only difference is the bus has more passengers and if he had to take everyones shopping out for them the bus would run well late.

next you'll be wanting the bin men to collect your bin from your house empy it and put it back and probably expect it to be washed out to [lol]

mums angels
15-Aug-07, 20:15
When i used to get taxis everywhere the taxi drivers always seemed to very helpful and when on the odd occasion i needed a hand i just ASKED them to help , which they always did....if you don't ask you can't complain if you get no help ..IMO :D

Billy Boy
15-Aug-07, 20:20
unless ofcourse your taxi driver is phsychic[lol][lol]

NLP
15-Aug-07, 20:23
I hope you didn't tip him Ash. before I got the car I found most helpful but I did ask for help one day and got moaned at "I've a bad back" some just don't want to move of their backsides.

changilass
15-Aug-07, 20:25
Have you ever considered the poor driver might actually have been telling th truth and had a bad back ...... just a thought

mums angels
15-Aug-07, 20:26
I hope you didn't tip him Ash. before I got the car I found most helpful but I did ask for help one day and got moaned at "I've a bad back" some just don't want to move of their backsides.

maybe he did have a bad back :D

LOL changi beat me too it

changilass
15-Aug-07, 20:27
SNAP mums :lol::lol:

... and Karia he he

karia
15-Aug-07, 20:27

Maybe,..but perhaps he does have a bad back!

K

Torvaig
15-Aug-07, 22:15
But don't you know, everyone with a "bad back" is a scrounging, lazy, good for nothing social cheat?..........

jsherris
15-Aug-07, 22:33
But don't you know, everyone with a "bad back" is a scrounging, lazy, good for nothing social cheat?..........

Hey Torvaig,

You know when you start laughing at something, but you know you really shouldn't.......?

[lol][lol]
Julie
(Who used to watch the neighbour who was 'on the sick with his back' while he painted his house, did DIY, made a garden pond... etc etc!)

karia
15-Aug-07, 22:54
Oh I Know!

My dad fell down a flight of icy stairs and shattered five discs...which were then surgically removed.

Laugh? No, we didn't actually!

Karia

Torvaig
16-Aug-07, 08:31
P.S. I'm still looking for a smiley "tongue-in-cheek"!:eek: