PDA

View Full Version : Friendly Competition & Lots of Support???

Lolabelle
10-Aug-07, 10:30
I have my cousins wedding coming up in 12 weeks time and want to lose 10kg. I want to know if any orgers would like to join me in a friendly competition to encourage each other to get off a bit of weight??
I thought we could support each other and as a bit of an incentive we could post our losses each week.
No one needs to post thier actual wieght, just the losses or gains and help to keep each other on track and motivated. We could also share handy hints, tips and maybe even recipes.
Any one interested???

Ash
10-Aug-07, 10:32
im on board!!!

wanna feel a wee bit healthier, been walking alfie lots and its helping!!

Lolabelle
10-Aug-07, 10:36
Great! Good for you Ash.
I am just waiting for my sister and we are going to go for a walk. I read a thing today about walking with a friend to keep you from piking out. And tonight is windy and awful out. I know if she wasn't coming to get me, I would not go. So I am really glad she is walking with me.

Ash
10-Aug-07, 10:38
walking with someone else is always better, as i find being on my own, pretty damn boring, lol

especially if its an awful night:eek:

golach
10-Aug-07, 10:41
Good Luck ladies. this has been tried before on the .Org
http://forum.caithness.org/showthread.php?t=6160&highlight=weight+watching

BRIE
10-Aug-07, 10:45
im in too! when do we start?
I did do the diet thing for my partners sisters wedding lost a stone then put it back on again!!:~(

Ash
10-Aug-07, 10:47
i need tips for breakfast, i aint much of a breakfast person, other half sometimes has to force me to have cereal, i want to have a healthy breakfast and be full until lunchtime so im not picking, which is hard with a 3year old lol! :lol:

Geo
10-Aug-07, 10:48
Count me in...again.

BRIE
10-Aug-07, 10:49
scrambled eggs on toast, grilled bacon & low fat sausage with beans, tomatoes on toast, natural yoghurt with muesli or fruit salad thats a few ideas ash.

Ash
10-Aug-07, 10:54
scrambled eggs on toast, grilled bacon & low fat sausage with beans, tomatoes on toast, natural yoghurt with muesli or fruit salad thats a few ideas ash.

mmmm thanks for that brie! now im hungry lol :lol:

Torvaig
10-Aug-07, 11:50

Ok, that's the first day's breakfast....:eek:

NickInTheNorth
10-Aug-07, 12:01
That's me onboard too :D

I know lots of people will be real pleased to see a little less of me.

With a BMI of 37.5 I know it really is time to shed some pounds

Lolabelle
10-Aug-07, 12:43
i need tips for breakfast, i aint much of a breakfast person, other half sometimes has to force me to have cereal, i want to have a healthy breakfast and be full until lunchtime so im not picking, which is hard with a 3year old lol! :lol:

I like to make a little omlette for breakfast. I put anything I have in the fridge. Capsicum, tomato, corn cut off the cob, mushrooms and brocolli, I also always put in some bacon, ham or salmon to give it a good protien hit for the morning. It works really well to stave off the morning munchies.

Lolabelle
10-Aug-07, 13:21
im in too! when do we start?
I did do the diet thing for my partners sisters wedding lost a stone then put it back on again!!:~(

I started today Brie, so just jump on when ever you're ready. I need to be accountable to get focused. That's why I thought this would be a fun way to stick with it.:Razz

Elenna
10-Aug-07, 13:56
I'll be very pleased to join you all!

I spent last winter and spring dealing with what seemed like continuous rounds of crises for/with/because of my family and business, and the stress/lack of getting out and about/comfort eating really took their toll :roll: (and I had been doing so well through last autumn!)

But I've fianlly got back into my old, familiar health and fitness routine in the last 5-6 weeks or so, and I've lost a bit...it would be great, though, to have some "company" with it. Can I start off with counting the 3lbs I lost this week? :D

BRIE
10-Aug-07, 14:58
I started today Brie, so just jump on when ever you're ready. I need to be accountable to get focused. That's why I thought this would be a fun way to stick with it.:Razz

I will start tomorrow! just got steak for dinner so better not do it today doesnt taste the same without CHIPS!! yum:Razz

NickInTheNorth
10-Aug-07, 15:16
Nothing wrong with chips when trying lose weight.

Just don't use frozen chips. Cut them real good and thick- not skinny chips - ensure that you cook them in good hot oil, preferably sunflower. Do that and they are not too bad for you.

jsherris
10-Aug-07, 22:16
I'm in too! Am I allowed?

Oh, Nick, I know the feeling with the BMI thing - mine's about the same :(
I started on the Lighter Life diet earlier this year & lost 3 stone - I also discovered that I had a bike in our cellar - it had been under cover for nearly 6 years! Before that, I don't think it had done more than 50 miles!

I soon got into the habit of riding the promenade roads & could do a daily 30 miles. Then I did the Manchester to Blackpool bike ride in July - 62 miles, woohoo!

But I'm still a whale! And the bike hasn't been out in a few weeks because our weather is conspiring against me, I think. I don't mind going out in the rain, but I do mind cycling on the prom against a 25mph northerly wind!
(Mantra: The wind is my friend, The wind is my friend.... repeat for 2 hours.....)

So I've done a bit more research and found that I can actually do my own version of the Lighter Life diet using Slimfast & a couple of good vitamin supplements & I start again on Monday!

Roll on the first week - I love the first week, it's always the best drop while your glycogen recedes!

Remember everyone.... the key to a good loss is water - I have a fantastic write up regarding water & weight loss... I will find it & post it.
Julie
x

Lolabelle
10-Aug-07, 22:18
I'll be very pleased to join you all!
Can I start off with counting the 3lbs I lost this week? :D

Absolutely. And good for you. Big round of applause for Elenna everyone. :D

I walked last night and managed to get through the evening with out eating any snacks. As night time bicsuit eating had become a bit of a problem I feel that this is a great achievement.
Am noew just off to take the dogs for a walk and then back to a nice protien breaky to kick start my day. (I still stick to low fat, I just find if I have protien with every meal I don't get as hungary in between)
Have a good day everyone.

Bobinovich
10-Aug-07, 22:43
BBCs BMI calculator (http://www.bbc.co.uk/health/healthy_living/your_weight/bmiimperial_index.shtml) for anyone who wants it - coming in at 31.69 so could do with kickstarting the reduced portions & increased exercise again *sigh*

George Brims
10-Aug-07, 22:45
I have a few comments.

First of all losing 10 kg in 12 weeks is a very fast weight loss. If you do it you will probably do something to your metabolism and make it harder to keep the weight off. I have taken off 25 pounds in three years and even then I felt hungry a lot of the time!

Nick: "With a BMI of 37.5 I know it really is time to shed some pounds". No, it's time to see a doctor. I would have to gain 116 pounds to get that BMI!

jsherris: If as you say your BMI is in the same range as Nick's, you want to be pretty careful what you put yourself through on the bike. You should maybe have your GP send you for a cardiac stress test. And be careful with this water business. I know it's repeated endlessly in all kinds of online sites and magazine that you should be drinking huge quantities of water, but some doctors are concerned that those numbers are being overstated. I heard one on the radio recently saying that if women really did flush as much water through their system as some articles recommend, the result would be vitamin deficiency and osteoporosis. He said you have to check the toilet after you wee! Dark = dehydrated, yellow = good, clear = too much water.

And finally stay away from anything resembling the Atkins diet. A friend of ours did that and ended up having a heart attack. Just eat less of everything and keep the fat content low.

jsherris
11-Aug-07, 00:18
I have a few comments.

First of all losing 10 kg in 12 weeks is a very fast weight loss. If you do it you will probably do something to your metabolism and make it harder to keep the weight off. I have taken off 25 pounds in three years and even then I felt hungry a lot of the time!

Nick: "With a BMI of 37.5 I know it really is time to shed some pounds". No, it's time to see a doctor. I would have to gain 116 pounds to get that BMI!

jsherris: If as you say your BMI is in the same range as Nick's, you want to be pretty careful what you put yourself through on the bike. You should maybe have your GP send you for a cardiac stress test. And be careful with this water business. I know it's repeated endlessly in all kinds of online sites and magazine that you should be drinking huge quantities of water, but some doctors are concerned that those numbers are being overstated. I heard one on the radio recently saying that if women really did flush as much water through their system as some articles recommend, the result would be vitamin deficiency and osteoporosis. He said you have to check the toilet after you wee! Dark = dehydrated, yellow = good, clear = too much water.

And finally stay away from anything resembling the Atkins diet. A friend of ours did that and ended up having a heart attack. Just eat less of everything and keep the fat content low.

Comments noted, George..... Having already been on the Lighter Life diet for 4 months, (I lost 3 stone, yes I was ok, & yes it was safe) I visited the doc on a regular basis. He encouraged me to do the 60odd mile bike ride because he knows what I'm like & he knows if I need to rest, then I will.
Biking is great exercise if you are overweight because of the low impact on the joints. But as with any exercise, you have to WANT to do it & you have to be ABLE to do it.
A popular misconception is that overweight people are unfit, & that's not exactly true - I can outwalk my ex-triathlon hubby - he is still able to run a half marathon, swim a coupla miles & go out for on a 'quick 60 mile pedal', but get him in trainers & let him walk with me for the day & his legs kill, whilst I am ready to do it all over again the next day! I must add that I can also out-row him on the rowing machines too, haha!
And yes, I had a heart check & it's fine.

As for water, well - if an average person has to drink 8 glasses a day (not true actually, it can be a LOT more which is needed) then someone who has double the bodyweight should be drinking almost double that amount.
Depending on climate & activity, bodyweight & gender, in some cases, it's estimated that for a few people, 6.5 litres a day is recommended.
http://www.water.org.uk/home/water-for-health/medical-facts/adults

Anyhow, I have discussed with my doc using Slimfast or equivalent in a Lighter Life way, & as long as I take my multi-vits as well, I should be on a 4 or 5 pound a week weight loss - I know just about every Ketosis website, know the danger signs & understand the principles behind it. I also know which foods I can eat, should the need arise, and not break the ketosis cycle, and will have a few days rest every 4 weeks or so, depending on how I feel at the time & also what we are doing life-style wise too.
The main reason for me not doing the Lighter Life diet this time round is that I went through the counselling & now understand what drove me to become overweight in the first place, plus I no longer want to spend that amount of money on something that I can do perfectly well by myself - heavily policed by hubby!

Anyway, just as everything in life, one person's way might be different, it doesn't mean it's wrong, it just means it's different.
Julie.

jsherris
11-Aug-07, 00:34
Well, as best as I can explain it anyway, because I can't find it on my PC!!

OK, so firstly, you have to calculate the amount of water you should be drinking to maintain health.

Take how many pounds you weigh & divide by two - so if you were 200lbs, that would be 100. This is the amount of fluid ounces you should be drinking each day every day to maintain healthy cells within your body. Therefore, that's 5 pints, or approx 2.5 litres.

BUT.... if you want to use water as a tool for weight loss, you have to build yourself up to that amount & then increase that amount daily in increments of 1/2 litres (500mls). Make sure you drink this amount in a constant way throughout the day & NOT in one huge guzzle-fest! As you increase this amount, you should be keeping a daily weight check - ideally weigh yourself in the mornings before tea, coffee, water, breakfast, etc. During a 48 - 72 hour period at some point, (and this very much depends on the individual,) you should see a drop of approx 5lbs in weight - I can't remember exactly why, but it's kidney/sodium/osmosis related & the way our body cells react to being 'flooded' with good old H2O. It also helps to flush the deposits around the phospholipid molecules that make up the cell walls (fat in other words!)

When you record this weight drop, you should then start to pull back on the water intake by an increment of 250 mls, & thereafter, 1 fluid ounce for every 2lbs you lose. (I know I'm mixing my mls & oz's, but heck, I only got a chemistry degree!)

Anyhow, that's the science lesson over with!! I know it's difficult to do - You have to be at the truly obsessive point of your diet! Also, don't forget, if you eat lots of salady foods, they also contain water & help. Coffee & alcohol have the reverse effect, so cut down on these too. Apparently, if you drink 250mls of coffee, you should then drink 500mls of water just to negate the dehydrating effects! (But that was from an unconfirmed source on a now defunct 'weight loss site')

A good website for tracking foods/activities/calories/vitamins etc, is: www.fitday.com - a bit american based, but worth a look.
And it's free! :)

Good luck everyone & stick with it!
Julie
x

NickInTheNorth
11-Aug-07, 10:04
Just remember folks make fruit and veg your friend :)

Make up a really yummy fruit salad, and when the nibbles strike go get a huge bowl full, fills you up and tastes so delicious...

johno
11-Aug-07, 10:28
NAW , NOT ME. im slightly overweight, but if a famine do,es comes i want to be prepared for it as i reckon that all the skinny critter,s ll croak first, heh .heh. [lol] [lol]

jsherris
11-Aug-07, 11:37
NAW , NOT ME. im slightly overweight, but if a famine do,es comes i want to be prepared for it as i reckon that all the skinny critter,s ll croak first, heh .heh.

Haha, Johno!

It's ok - if a famine comes, by that time, we'll all be skinny critters & we'll want people like you who've got a bit meat on their bones for when we all become ravenous cannibals! [lol]

BRIE
11-Aug-07, 12:48
my BMI is coming in at 24.65 thats not bad but that calculator cant see my rolls of fat!!:lol::lol:

johno
11-Aug-07, 14:20
Haha, Johno!

It's ok - if a famine comes, by that time, we'll all be skinny critters & we'll want people like you who've got a bit meat on their bones for when we all become ravenous cannibals! [lol]
aye, but by then i,ll be at my sporty weight & i doubt if any o you will be strong enough to catch me. heh heh,[para]

crayola
11-Aug-07, 14:23
As for water, well - if an average person has to drink 8 glasses a day (not true actually, it can be a LOT more which is needed) then someone who has double the bodyweight should be drinking almost double that amount.
Depending on climate & activity, bodyweight & gender, in some cases, it's estimated that for a few people, 6.5 litres a day is recommended.
http://www.water.org.uk/home/water-for-health/medical-facts/adults
I read this and as far as I can see there is a huge range of recommendations and I think you are overstating the case a lot! :confused

NLP
11-Aug-07, 14:51
What a great idea, the needle on my scales hasn't moved in months but I just got new clothes in a bigger size, depressing enough to make me reach for the chocolate

Lolabelle
12-Aug-07, 05:31
Well I am 3 days in and feeling great. I am trying to go for a gently walk everyday. And so far, so good. I am also trying to incorporate some incidental exercise, as in parking a bit further from things and walking etc. I am eating well. And am not only learning to make fruit and veg my friends, but water also. I have found that in the past I find tend to eat, when I am really thirsty. So it's water first and then if I am still hungry, then I will have a healthy snack. I am planning on making lifestyle changes not just to lose weight.
So friends lets get stuck into nice thirst quenching cool water. It is the best! :Razz

rockchick
12-Aug-07, 10:32
<snip>

Nothing wrong with the Atkins diet if you actually follow it properly. If one is addicted to processed snacks and sugar (which, lets face it, is a major component of most people's weight issues) then this diet is probably the only one that actually works.

Unfortunately, "just eating less of everything and keep your fat content low" approach doesn't work if your metabolism is so skewed that your body goes into starvation mode. Doesn't matter how few calories you take in, you won't lose weight as your body's system kicks in to protect itself. Then, when you do start eating normally again (ie. increase your calories, cuz you can't stand being hungry all the time) your metabolism is still slow, so your body starts stockpiling those calories as fat.

I've found that by minimizing the calories I take in by carbohydrates, I'm never hungry, I can eat whatever I want and I stay within 5 pounds of my normal body weight. I don't eat bread, ever, and minimal pasta or potatoes with dinner. My BMI is 20.5, and has been like that for the last 8 years. Prior to that, I lost 5 stone over two years, and have kept it off (although now that I'm getting older my metabolism seems to be slowing down, so one of those stones is creeping back! nuts.)

jsherris
12-Aug-07, 10:47
Nothing wrong with the Atkins diet if you actually follow it properly. If one is addicted to processed snacks and sugar (which, lets face it, is a major component of most people's weight issues) then this diet is probably the only one that actually works.

Unfortunately, "just eating less of everything and keep your fat content low" approach doesn't work if your metabolism is so skewed that your body goes into starvation mode. Doesn't matter how few calories you take in, you won't lose weight as your body's system kicks in to protect itself. Then, when you do start eating normally again (ie. increase your calories, cuz you can't stand being hungry all the time) your metabolism is still slow, so your body starts stockpiling those calories as fat.

I've found that by minimizing the calories I take in by carbohydrates, I'm never hungry, I can eat whatever I want and I stay within 5 pounds of my normal body weight. I don't eat bread, ever, and minimal pasta or potatoes with dinner. My BMI is 20.5, and has been like that for the last 8 years. Prior to that, I lost 5 stone over two years, and have kept it off (although now that I'm getting older my metabolism seems to be slowing down, so one of those stones is creeping back! nuts.)

The whole process of 'Starvation Mode' is scary!
I know from experience that if I regulate my diet at 800 calories a day, eaten in very small amounts throughout the day, I lose weight. Of course I do.
If I have one meal a day of 800 calories, I put weight on - The whole mechanism was carefully explained to me & boy, does it make sense when you know how your body cells work!

Working out such a low calorie diet yourself is tricky getting the carb/protein balance & making sure you you're not suffering vitamin deficiency. That was why I chose the lighter life diet at the start of the year - and armed with lots of knowledge, I start again tomorrow.

Yes, it all sounds very drastic - sometimes you need drastic - and like various other things in life, it's all down to personal choice & finding out what IS right for you, and what is not. Personally, this form of diet IS right for me - when I follow it properly, I have boundless amounts of energy, I look healthier, and more importantly, it works!
Some folks like weight watchers, for others it's the Atkins - each to their own, and if one diet isn't for you, then try something else.

For me, tomorrow is D-Day!
Lolabelle - make sure you don't stray too far from the loo for the first couple of weeks! And keep up the positive attitude - retaining THAT is the biggest hurdle, but we're here for you - go girl! :)
Julie
x

rockchick
12-Aug-07, 11:33
How can you live on 800 calories a day? Didn't Auschwitz prisoners get more than that???

jsherris
12-Aug-07, 11:47
How can you live on 800 calories a day? Didn't Auschwitz prisoners get more than that???

They probably did - but then they weren't overweight in the first place! ;)

In actual fact, Lighter Life is 500 cals a day & the Cambridge diet starts this way too - anyone following these diets NEEDS a doctor visit first - and with lighter life, they won't supply you with any foodpacks until you give them the forms duly signed & agreed by the doc - and every 4 weeks after that also.
The diets work by putting your body into ketosis - and yes, this too can be dangerous if not monitored - these diets are NOT for the fad dieter, they are for people with more than 3 stone to lose, and for the people who are prepared to be totally committed to them.
Plus the 2hour counselling session each week helped loads.
Like I said, each to their own & it is the only thing that worked for me.

Anyway, the lady who oversaw my time with them was a Margaret Campbell - and a proper canny scot she was too! What better sort of lady to trust! :)
Julie

rockchick
12-Aug-07, 13:13
Atkins diet also works by putting your body into ketosis - essentially forcing your body to burn fat for energy rather than carbohydrates.

What they don't tell you is that once you're on this sort of plan, you essentially have one shot at it. It's not a diet you can go on, lose the weight you want, then go off and expect to be able to take up at a later time and get the same results. Your body responds brilliantly the first time, but not so well the second time, and there's no use trying a third. Essentially it's a new way of eating for the rest of your life, and if it suits you, then there's no way you'll go off it.

For instance - lunch today was half an avocado filled with a crab, mayo and cherry tomato mixture. How many calories is that? Haven't a clue. High in fat, perhaps, but tons of vitamins, and won't be hungry or need to snack the rest of the day until tea-time. I love being able to eat like this, its a treat not a torture, and as long as I stay away from "empty" calories (mashed potatoes or bowls of pasta spring to mind) there are no detrimental effects.

Ash
12-Aug-07, 13:43
hey getting back to helping everyone out i cooked from this website last night, its a new programme on channel 4 - it was gorgeous and healthy! i made the chicken:D

http://www.channel4.com/life/microsites/C/cook-yourself-thin/recipes.html

jsherris
12-Aug-07, 13:46
No Ash, you are NOT tempting me to eat for the next 4 weeks!
(But I'll save the link for week 5 & have a look then!)
Julie
x

laguna2
12-Aug-07, 13:50
Had a quick look at the website Ash and the recipes look good. Must try them.

... and jsherris don't worry - the site is called cook yourself thin! Go on! Have a peek! :lol:

Ash
12-Aug-07, 13:52
all the recipes for the programme are put on after each show, and last night all the veg was wonderful..... other half was gurning tho

"no proper roast tatties?"

"wheres the gravy?" lol:lol:

laguna2
12-Aug-07, 13:57
Ah well Ash - you know the old sayings ....

You can't please all of the people all of the time

OR

If he complains too much ... let him eat cake

;)
:lol:

NickInTheNorth
12-Aug-07, 14:10

Hi George

I'd missed this post earlier.

I see the doctor fairly regular. I'm one of those unfortunates who's BMI doesn't reflect the reality of the fat content of my body. My true BMI is probably nearer 30 now than what it actually works out as. Based on the standard calculation it has been as high as 42.5!!!! At that point I weighed in 1lb under 20 stone.

I have had many test in recent years and yes, I need to lose weight, and intend to shed about 4 stone over the next 12 months. I have recently started a sensible exercise regime, and have reimposed a stricter diet than I have been following for the past year or so. My normal diet is however very very low in fat, and almost totally excludes animal fats. (Probably 50% olive oil, 50% sunflower oil). It is very high in tomato ( a surprisingly good thing to eat) very high in fruits and vegetables and high in oily fish. As a family we probably eat one chicken a week.

All in all I'm happy with where I am, but will be much happier when I get to somewhere around 13 stone.

jsherris
12-Aug-07, 14:29
All in all I'm happy with where I am, but will be much happier when I get to somewhere around 13 stone.

As I said Nick, each to their own - and as we get older, we begin to understand what does work for us & what doesn't - good luck with it all!
My hubby panics when he pops half a stone on - so he cuts out the weekend McD's breakfasts at work & voila! Makes me sick! [evil]

Mind, just wait when we get up there & he's got my cooking EVERY night - I'll teach him - Haha!
Julie

mums angels
12-Aug-07, 18:36
good luck to all of you trying to lose some weight ..i'm never happy with my weight one minute i feel frumpy next i feel too thin, i've never been over weight but do diet alot i have used Adios tablets to help curb the appetite which has helped alot in the past

chocolatechip
12-Aug-07, 20:09
Count me in to I want to lose wait but it's so hard, but if you have others around you, you have the motivation to do something;)

Lolabelle
13-Aug-07, 02:05
Hi all, I have survived a very hectic weekend and not overdone in anyway. I managed a walk each day and had lovely healthy salads and really enjoyed them.
We went out for Thai and I have Pad Thai Omlette with prawns and it was delish. I didn't have an entree or desert so I felt full but not overfull when we left.
Last night we went to my stepdaughters for dinner and had a BBQ with salad so no problems there, and a skim cappacino for afters. I feel quite happy with myself.
Off to Bellydancing tonight to give it all a good shake. [lol]
I am only just managing to stop myself jumping on the scales every five minutes. I have found that a real problem in the past as I tend to fluctuate a lot and I can get discouraged. So it is one a week for me only!!

jsherris
13-Aug-07, 03:06
I am only just managing to stop myself jumping on the scales every five minutes. I have found that a real problem in the past as I tend to fluctuate a lot and I can get discouraged. So it is one a week for me only!!

Well done for a good weekend, Lolabelle - you just make sure you keep it up!

Oh, and before I go off to bed..... remember fluctuating scales needn't be a bad thing... a pint of water weighs a pound - remember that when you're tempted & don't feel too bad if you see it rise by a couple throughout the day!
Ideally, weigh-in in the mornings, after you've had a wee, etc, trimmed your fingernails, shaved your legs, maybe give blood the day before, & have a hair cut....... every little helps! ;)
Night, Julie x

htwood
13-Aug-07, 04:38
OK kidz, I'm in. Got the improved diet going, lean protein at every meal, fewer carbs and no sugars, and have lost 27 pounds, but need to start a walking program. My doc says 30 minutes a day, at least 5 days a week. I admit to stalling for months!
So here's my promise for Monday, I'm going to walk for 15 minutes during my lunch break, and report back here. Arggg what have i done LOL

Lolabelle
13-Aug-07, 05:10
OK kidz, I'm in. Got the improved diet going, lean protein at every meal, fewer carbs and no sugars, and have lost 27 pounds, but need to start a walking program. My doc says 30 minutes a day, at least 5 days a week. I admit to stalling for months!
So here's my promise for Monday, I'm going to walk for 15 minutes during my lunch break, and report back here. Arggg what have i done LOL

Good for you htwood. I am doing a similar kind of eating program and i love it. I am definately an all or nothing kinda girl. I need to be off sugar all together. I have been on and off this regime a couple of times and always find it works so well, I feel great eating this way and didn't regain quite so many bad eating habits between bouts of behaving.
I was seeing a naturopath and she recommended going back to this style, it apparently is right for my blood group/type or whatever it is. :Razz
I haven't done my walk yet today, but I will later, I promise. ;)

rockchick
13-Aug-07, 07:12
Hi all, I have survived a very hectic weekend and not overdone in anyway. I managed a walk each day and had lovely healthy salads and really enjoyed them.
We went out for Thai and I have Pad Thai Omlette with prawns and it was delish. I didn't have an entree or desert so I felt full but not overfull when we left.
Last night we went to my stepdaughters for dinner and had a BBQ with salad so no problems there, and a skim cappacino for afters. I feel quite happy with myself.
Off to Bellydancing tonight to give it all a good shake. [lol]

Way to go with the belly dancing! It's brilliant exercise, excellent for the abs (and makes you feel soooooo sexy, which is what we all need!)

Stepping on the scales once a week is a good idea too - I can gain 3-4 pounds in the course of one day, only to lose it again next morning. It can be heartbreaking! I started weighing myself first thing Monday morning (before I'd drunk any water) to keep track of my progress.

When you weigh yourself, take note of your measurements - that way, when you start plateauing you can still keep track of your progress. You will reach a point, especially if you're doing more exercise, when you don't seem to be losing any weight at all. If you are gaining muscle, muscle weighs more than fat, so the scales may say the same thing but the measuring tape will show a reduction in your waist or butt! Helps keep your motivation up.

Go girl!

Lolabelle
14-Aug-07, 01:53
I woke up this morning feeling really yuk. I think the flu is coming. So now my challenge will be to NOT comfort eat!!! As soon as I can be bothered moving, I will make some zuchinni fritters, to have for a stand by snack. I have to have something ready, or I will go for any old thing.

htwood
14-Aug-07, 04:28
Good thing I made the promise here, or I could have so easily talked myself out of it LOL goodness,the excuses I was telling myself. I managed just 12 minutes of walking at a good pace. Tomorrow, I'll do better by bringing trainers along, and also a sunhat, so no excuses.

Lolabelle
14-Aug-07, 23:48
Well I kinda bombed out last night. :o
I was asked to lead a belly dancing class as the teacher was sick, I was not feeling the best myself so I scoffed some nice high energy sugar. MMMmmm, didn't really work, just made me feel lousy with myself.
But never mind. I am back on track and ready to go.
I am posting the recipe for Zucchini Fritters on the recipe board, if any one is interested in a low carb snack recipe. PS, it's low carb, not no carb.
Hope everyone is getting on well and staying focused, as I intend to do.

htwood
15-Aug-07, 02:39
Thanks for the recipe, great to have something new, I get bored so easily. Walked 15 minutes at morning break and 15 minutes at afternoon break. Better every day HUH only 2 days lol

mccaugm
15-Aug-07, 17:39
:DI'd like to join, I want to lose about half a stone by the 6th of September. I want to get a little fitter...anyone in Halkirk fancy going for walks in the evening or something...?

Lolabelle
20-Aug-07, 04:06
How's everyone going?
I had a bit of a shocker last week. And was supposed to weigh in on Friday. But I kept having breakfast before I remembered to jump on the scales, so I ended up doing it this morning. I was pretty awful towards the end of last week and the weekend, so I didn't expect anything too grand. But... I am pleased to post a LOSS OF 1.1KG OR 2.425pounds. I am very happy with this result and I can really, only honestly attribute it to an increase in exersize, because my eating habits were not that flash. But am back on the program now, so this is good. :Razz
Any loss is encouraging.
Come everyone, report in, tell us how you are getting on. That's the idea of this thread. Lets support each other.

Bill Fernie
20-Aug-07, 08:06
For those of you going the Belly Daning Route to weight loss you might like to take look at this article about one of my fellwo councillors who also happens to run a belly dancing class in Nairn. Councillor Liz Macdonald recently became the provost of Nairn.

See http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/scotland/highlands_and_islands/6719913.stm

They also recently broke the world record for belly dancing to get into the Guiness Book of Records when 143 belly dancers did their stuff in Nairn.

So the aim is lose weight, break a world record and achieve something new. Go for it.

I will probably stick to walking. Does cutting grass count?

brandy
20-Aug-07, 09:04
count me in as well, in total i need to loose 4 stone to reach my ideal weight but would be more than happy with two! *G*
we have put the whole family on a diet though..
ben is hyper so have taken away all e-numbers and sweets.
and have cut back on the fatty foods with all of us..
hubby is still sneaking in crisps, but deserts now feature yougarts, fruits and jellies (sugar free of course)
and kids get thier yougart drink (proboitic drinks) every day.. so fingers crossed! still cant let go of my diet coke.. and i have to have carbs.. sorry diabetic..
ummm i usually have a bown of granola or musli for breakkie btw!

Lolabelle
20-Aug-07, 09:27
good for you Brandy, welcome on board.
The best thing here is we are all doing our own thing. Whatever works for us. My main goal is to get healthy, and part of that is eating better and getting into some exercise. I have an awful sugar addiction, that with out getting off it and carbs I cant seem to control myself. We are all different and therefore need different things. But we can all be here for each other and that is what is so good about the org. I am going to use all the support I can get, I need it! :confused

NLP
20-Aug-07, 11:20
First week over and I'm down 1.3/4lb didn't get much walking done but I've cut out the chocolate biscuits, anyone try to exercise with a 2 year old helping? it's different

Elenna
20-Aug-07, 13:14
Well, it was my sons birthday last Wed, so I made a yummy cake and we had that in the house over two days :roll:. Otherwise managed to stick to eating sensibly...watching the salt, sugar/desserts, and fat...drinking more water, and going out for long walks (the nice evenings we had several times last week helped with that :)) So at weigh-in this morning (I forgot on Fri as well) I'm down another 2lb...which I'm pleased about as that choc birthday cake was just sooo goood!

Lolabelle
20-Aug-07, 22:57
First week over and I'm down 1.3/4lb didn't get much walking done but I've cut out the chocolate biscuits, anyone try to exercise with a 2 year old helping? it's different

Well, it was my sons birthday last Wed, so I made a yummy cake and we had that in the house over two days :roll:. Otherwise managed to stick to eating sensibly...watching the salt, sugar/desserts, and fat...drinking more water, and going out for long walks (the nice evenings we had several times last week helped with that :)) So at weigh-in this morning (I forgot on Fri as well) I'm down another 2lb...which I'm pleased about as that choc birthday cake was just sooo goood!

Whooo hoooo, go girls.
To manage to do anything besides eat leftovers with a 2 year old is a monumental feat in my opinion. And to have a choccy cake about and not eat the lot is self discipline in it's finest form as far as I am concerned.
Good on you for your losses. I think you both are going great guns.
Congrats.

Lolabelle
22-Aug-07, 23:10
How are you all going?
I am not too flash today, got caught out at dinner time and had to have takeway. I went for what I thought was the healthiest option, only to end up having a food reaction (gluten intolerant). So now I have a hangover [evil].
Doesn't pay to be in a hurry!
What is everyone else up to? Having good days or bad? :confused

jsherris
22-Aug-07, 23:52
......... What is everyone else up to? Having good days or bad?

Bad, Bad, Bad, Bad, Bad!

What with house hunting online, making umpteen phone calls, taking messages for himself, trying to get answers from the council about residents stuff, planning the packing... (not actually DOING it, just planning it!) and goodness knows what else....

Still, there's plenty of time, I'm not got any dealines, I just want to lose the flab fat!

Keep it up tho Lolabelle - how long till the wedding?
Julie

Lolabelle
23-Aug-07, 11:25
Wedding in about 10 weeks now Julie, I have lost about 2.1kg/4.63 pounds, so I am happy, but I am not due to weigh officially till the morning, so I will see.

Moving is one of the five most stressful things you can do, so it you have any self control you can give yourself a pat on the back. :Razz
I'll give you one anyway.
Keep positive, that will eventually get you there.

NLP
23-Aug-07, 13:34
Yesterday was a bad day I picked and picked so today I will be extra good out walking everyday and worked in the garden so that must help

Lolabelle
23-Aug-07, 22:18
Official Weigh Day today, and I have lost 2.1kg or 4.63 pounds. I am very happy with this result, as I wasn't too strict in the first week, actually I am never too strict with myself.
Keep up the good work everyone,
And see less of you next week.
Lighter Lola :p