PDA

View Full Version : What is your interpretation of the word Masculine?

Tugmistress
10-Aug-07, 09:54
May seem like a daft question, and i suppose it is really. The reason i ask is i enter a 'daft' photo comp every weekend on one of the photography forums i use, and each weekend has a different theme, this weekends being 'masculine'.
So far my brain can only come up with blokes working outside in summer with just shorts on and bulging upper body muscles :o

So, what's your take on masculine?

NickInTheNorth
10-Aug-07, 10:07
anything that is typically male.

So maybe a photo of a truck driver ;)

Fluff
10-Aug-07, 10:07
male, testrone filled. big, hard (no soft edges)

at work, i quite often decribe some frames as masculine when they are more square and large, ie for a man.
hope that can be some help

golach
10-Aug-07, 10:08
May seem like a daft question, and i suppose it is really. The reason i ask is i enter a 'daft' photo comp every weekend on one of the photography forums i use, and each weekend has a different theme, this weekends being 'masculine'.
So far my brain can only come up with blokes working outside in summer with just shorts on and bulging upper body muscles :o

So, what's your take on masculine?
Tuggs, to me Masculine is just the opposite of Feminine :lol:

Tugmistress
10-Aug-07, 10:17
Tuggs, to me Masculine is just the opposite of Feminine :lol:

Trust you lol

ok, maybe if i rephrase slightly, can you name me something that you perceive as being masculine :)

Lolabelle
10-Aug-07, 10:24
I always think of a working man's hands as being very masculine. :confused

golach
10-Aug-07, 10:31
Trust you lol

ok, maybe if i rephrase slightly, can you name me something that you perceive as being masculine :)
Tuggs, lol, not going to enter the beefcake thing, but I would call a 16 wheeler as masculine, you must see a lot of them, a Farm Tractor, a Super Bike are all masculine things to me, but not Ships, Boats or Yachts, they are all feminine

Lolabelle
10-Aug-07, 10:46
anything that is typically male.

So maybe a photo of a truck driver ;)

Tuggs, lol, not going to enter the beefcake thing, but I would call a 16 wheeler as masculine

I personally think truck drivers are masculine. But I love one of em. So I could be a bit biased.
But what is this 16 wheeler thingo?? Ours are 24 wheeler and The B Double has 34.

http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u71/Lolabelle_2007/Image006.jpg

Ash
10-Aug-07, 10:56
WOW

definately Masculine Lolabelle!:D

Tugmistress
10-Aug-07, 11:01
Shame i can't nip over there for half an hour lolabelle ;) that would be an awesome piccy to enter lol

Kingetter
10-Aug-07, 11:07
And then there are road trains, true?
http://images.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=http://www.volvoadventures.com/164AusRoadTrain.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.volvoadventures.com/trip_around_australia.html&h=381&w=600&sz=35&tbnid=zJIJM0yrq7shsM:&tbnh=86&tbnw=135&prev=/images%3Fq%3Droad%2Btrains%26um%3D1&start=1&sa=X&oi=images&ct=image&cd=1

I personally think truck drivers are masculine. But I love one of em. So I could be a bit biased.
But what is this 16 wheeler thingo?? Ours are 24 wheeler and The B Double has 34.

http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u71/Lolabelle_2007/Image006.jpg

Thumper
10-Aug-07, 11:29
A piccy of "builders bum" :D can't get much more masculine than that!!![lol] Now to be serious I think if I was entering something like that I would go for something like a goodlooking guy holding a tiny baby,that sort of thing always has the aww factor but is also lovely to see a guy cuddled up with his baby and proud of it.Might get shot down in flames for that suggestion but it's just my opinion but then I ain't no photographer xx

Torvaig
10-Aug-07, 11:48
I would agree with you there Thumper; go for the "ahhh...." factor!

Lolabelle
10-Aug-07, 12:45
And then there are road trains, true?
http://images.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=http://www.volvoadventures.com/164AusRoadTrain.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.volvoadventures.com/trip_around_australia.html&h=381&w=600&sz=35&tbnid=zJIJM0yrq7shsM:&tbnh=86&tbnw=135&prev=/images%3Fq%3Droad%2Btrains%26um%3D1&start=1&sa=X&oi=images&ct=image&cd=1

Yes, then there are road trains. And they are scary beasts. :eek:

Tugmistress
10-Aug-07, 13:53
A piccy of "builders bum" :D can't get much more masculine than that!!![lol] Now to be serious I think if I was entering something like that I would go for something like a goodlooking guy holding a tiny baby,that sort of thing always has the aww factor but is also lovely to see a guy cuddled up with his baby and proud of it.Might get shot down in flames for that suggestion but it's just my opinion but then I ain't no photographer xx

lmao i thought of 'builders bum' too, but the only person i use to model for me at the moment is my daughter! and she is away until next week. Unfortunately i don't know anyone with a new baby, let alone a big bloke with a new baby. i do like that suggestion though and i may be cheeky enough to ask someone if i see a suitable candidate on the street lol.

Thumper
10-Aug-07, 15:01
Why wait to ask somebody on the street Tuggs?Ask on here!!Bet there has to loads of gorgeous men and babies just waiting for you to ask :D x

Thumper
10-Aug-07, 15:18
Tuggs I think I have way too much free time today and been spending most of it thinking about your pics :) how about a lifeboatman in uniform holding a puppy or kitten(I know you work at Scrabster so shouldn't be too hard to call in a favour or 2 lol) or a fireman or policeman with the same pose or something similar.Maybe a shot of the local tug of war team would be a god one too...oh the possibilities are endless I guess :D make sure you post what you do decided to enter please!I would love to see it xx

NickInTheNorth
10-Aug-07, 15:26
lmao i thought of 'builders bum' too, but the only person i use to model for me at the moment is my daughter! and she is away until next week. Unfortunately i don't know anyone with a new baby, let alone a big bloke with a new baby. i do like that suggestion though and i may be cheeky enough to ask someone if i see a suitable candidate on the street lol.

So I'm not a bloke anymore :( No baby either!

Tugmistress
10-Aug-07, 19:51
So I'm not a bloke anymore :( No baby either!

oops! forgot about you nick! sorry lol i keep forgetting you are up here now not down west.
If you're up for it - i will be at the RNLI day tomorrow, come find me, it wont be hard - i'll have my camera at the ready and spend the afternoon taking pics and post what i decide on during sunday evening :D
that goes for anyone willing to volunteer to be masculine !

NickInTheNorth
10-Aug-07, 20:09
might well see you there :D

Ricco
10-Aug-07, 21:36
How about a piccie of a guy stuck into a giant skate or a decent sized coal fish; nice bend in the rod and straining muscles?

Or a bloke stood proudly by something he had built? Perhaps a man wreathed in smoke at the BBQ - that is very much a 'man' thing.

My favourite is the picture of the proud dad wearing a T, bit of muscle showing, holding his first baby. Now that's masculine!

Victoria
10-Aug-07, 21:40
Tuggs I think I have way too much free time today and been spending most of it thinking about your pics :) how about a lifeboatman in uniform holding a puppy or kitten(I know you work at Scrabster so shouldn't be too hard to call in a favour or 2 lol) or a fireman or policeman with the same pose or something similar.Maybe a shot of the local tug of war team would be a god one too...oh the possibilities are endless I guess :D make sure you post what you do decided to enter please!I would love to see it xx

Why not flip is and use your daughter to do something masculine rather than a man doing something feminine.

Have her building a brick wall or some other kind of manual labour! or dressed up in a man suite etc.

Victoria
10-Aug-07, 21:43
or her dressed up with a beer and the telly remote cheeting on the footie which starts again tomorrow?

Kenn
10-Aug-07, 22:35
Got to be a fireman or a complete crew with their BIG red engine.
Failing that the cox of the local lifeboat , a RM in full dress uniform although there's a few lumberjacks that might do.

_Ju_
10-Aug-07, 23:01
A Stallion. There is a beautiful one just south of Keiss on the left as you head north.

Liz
10-Aug-07, 23:22
A Stallion. There is a beautiful one just south of Keiss on the left as you head north.

I was thinking along the same lines. How about a nice big bull complete with dangly bits!!!:lol:

scorrie
11-Aug-07, 00:56
Failing that the cox of the local lifeboat.

SOUNDS like a winner LIZZ ;o)

jsherris
11-Aug-07, 01:07
Actually, you don't get more masculine than the 2 Sue's who live down the road from me.......

And after that comment am I glad they don't know about this board! [lol]

Tugmistress
11-Aug-07, 06:52
Some brilliant ideas folks :D
unfortunately the neep (daughter) isn't back home until tuesday and i have to take the shot either today or tomorrow. I think i'll try to firemen, iirc they may be at the RNLI thingy this afternoon at scrabster, and see what else i can see there.

percy toboggan
11-Aug-07, 08:33
You need to think outside the box here and go for the softer side of masculinity, rather than the obvious.
The baby thing, cradled in strong arms is the best idea I've seen here.
Much of 'macho' is bobbins, especially when it's overtly deliberate. I drive a big truck and I'm glad I'm a man but there is more to masculinity than heavy machinery and muscles.
Failing this perhaps a picture of a man reading a map - the right way up !

jsherris
11-Aug-07, 09:48
......................Failing this perhaps a picture of a man reading a map - the right way up !............

[lol][lol] Percy - Where on earth would you find THAT happening??!!??

Tugmistress
11-Aug-07, 15:03
This is why i love the org :D all the brilliant ideas, different perspectives on things, it's great ... thank you all so very much !
and i never made it down to the RNLI day yet .... things beyond my control went wrong today, but hoping to get there for a wee while soon.

anneoctober
11-Aug-07, 15:18
This is why i love the org :D all the brilliant ideas, different perspectives on things, it's great ... thank you all so very much !
and i never made it down to the RNLI day yet .... things beyond my control went wrong today, but hoping to get there for a wee while soon.
Tell the truth wifie ! You just can't bear to leave us here on the Org :lol:

horseman
11-Aug-07, 21:51
What about a guy who knows the value of a female;)

karia
11-Aug-07, 22:04
might well see you there :D

Dont forget the Baby!:roll:

Karia

moureen
11-Aug-07, 22:09
I'm with you on this one Lolabelle I love a man with big hands but they have to be work hands to french polished nails thank you!!!! I was once told that I would meet a man {still waiting mind you} who's hands would be big and well used and we would be very happy together!!.

karia
11-Aug-07, 22:10
What about a guy who knows the value of a female

Why? ...Have you seen one?[para]

A guy who knows the value of a female?

Who is he,........... 'he' that is rarer than hens teeth?;)

Karia

jsherris
11-Aug-07, 23:07
Why? ...Have you seen one?

A guy who knows the value of a female?

Who is he,........... 'he' that is rarer than hens teeth?

Karia

Heehee Karia.... they do exist - rare I know, but they are out there...
My hubby for example knows only too well..... and last year's tax return proves it, 'cos he doesn't spend his money - but I do & he's got nothing left every month! [lol]

Tugmistress
12-Aug-07, 13:51
Tuggs I think I have way too much free time today and been spending most of it thinking about your pics :) how about a lifeboatman in uniform holding a puppy or kitten(I know you work at Scrabster so shouldn't be too hard to call in a favour or 2 lol) or a fireman or policeman with the same pose or something similar.Maybe a shot of the local tug of war team would be a god one too...oh the possibilities are endless I guess - make sure you post what you do decided to enter please!I would love to see it xx

ok so the best laid plans always go pear shaped lol i never got out at all yesterday apart from work and as for getting shots of people, well i just ain't cut out to go ask face to face lol.
in the end i came up with this, but if anyone wants to do something masculine and let me photograph them this afternoon, let me know as i can change my entry

http://community.dcmag.co.uk/photos/tugmistresss_gallery/images/531989/640x480.aspx

Ash
12-Aug-07, 13:54
if u wanna see masculine you should see my fathers hands!

nearly 30years of being a gravedigger

Tugmistress
12-Aug-07, 13:56
Oh, forgot to say, i gave it the title

Engine repairs?! (aka 'If in doubt, give it a clout')

Lolabelle
13-Aug-07, 05:30
Bit of a worry if you started on an engine with a hammer, lol. [lol]
But I did used to have to give my starter motor a bash, on an old car I used to have.
Good subject, Tugmistress, I like it. As usual. :D

canuck
13-Aug-07, 16:05
I am sure that the contest is closed now, but deadlines never stopped we .orgers from continuing the conversation.

In scanning the music threads I was impressed by all the "equipment" that had been put in place for the Big Gig in Thurso. The thought of hauling all that stuff onto the stage and then lifting it to build the towers was overwhelming, at least for me. I decided that it must be a guy thing. So, without focusing on the band members but rather looking at the sound system, here is my picture of masculinity.

http://img515.imageshack.us/img515/1500/img8981smgl1.jpg

scorrie
13-Aug-07, 16:29
http://img515.imageshack.us/img515/1500/img8981smgl1.jpg

As the turnout for their free Reformation Concert shows, there was to be no return to the heights of the 1980's for Kajagoogoo