PDA

View Full Version : aaargh council heating

Ash
09-Aug-07, 17:12
does anyone have this problem, i live in a council house,with storage heaters(which cost a fortune to run) i have hot water on this stupid timer thing, i want central heating!! does anyone know if the council are going to be installing central heating, im spending a fortune!:mad:

corgiman
09-Aug-07, 17:32
the best way to find out would be to just ring the council offices and ask them.

bluelady
09-Aug-07, 18:54
we are still on the coal, its quite an effort in the winter and expensive too, they ought to do everyone gas or oil CH

badger
09-Aug-07, 19:02
Have you tried getting advice from Ormlie Renewables - I know they've saved some people a lot of money on their elec. bills. See http://www.caithness.org/community/environment/ormlie_renewables/index.htm

burstbucker
09-Aug-07, 19:05
I always thought that storage heating systems were classed as central heating.

WeeBurd
09-Aug-07, 19:55
I always thought that storage heating systems were classed as central heating.

Yip, sounds like the dreaded THTC!:lol:

Ash
09-Aug-07, 20:04
they are god awful looking heaters, that take ages to heat up and cost me a fortune to run

WeeBurd
09-Aug-07, 20:05
they are god awful looking heaters, that take ages to heat up and cost me a fortune to run

Do you have the wee convector heaters in the bedrooms too?

Ash
09-Aug-07, 20:06
i think thats what they are called, the one in my room comes of the wall but all the other ones are attached proper

WeeBurd
09-Aug-07, 20:22
Yip, sounds like Total Heating Total Control. In other words electric central heating. Definitely does not do what it says on the tin :lol:! I'm not sure of any alternatives that give you better control, i.e. heating which will allow you to wash the dinner dishes & bath the kids at 6pm, without having to put a boost on the water first. Every day, summer or winter [evil].

Ash
09-Aug-07, 20:25
exactly the problem i have

always have to put boost on, cant just have a an unorganised bath

also when i moved in which was 2years ago now there is a shower, but fuse has been taken out the fuse box, strange? and annoying

karia
09-Aug-07, 20:30
Hi Weeburd,

Convector heaters eat money!:mad:

Gas central heating is great, hot water, on demand, instant heating!....

....not cheap either but a lot more under your control.

karia

WeeBurd
09-Aug-07, 20:34
Hi Weeburd,

Convector heaters eat money!:mad:

Gas central heating is great, hot water, on demand, instant heating!....

....not cheap either but a lot more under your control.

karia

Tell me about it, Karia, at least the WeeBurdies are in the same room now, come this winter we'll only need to heat one bedroom - Mum & Dad can go without :eek:!

Anyone any ideas what gas prices are like these days - as we're in the village, we'd have no access to the town supplies so would have to get a tank job...

karia
09-Aug-07, 20:44
Weeburd,

How are you gonna fuel your 100watt smile?;)

karia

Ha ha My bulbs just blew!:roll:

ashaw1
09-Aug-07, 21:13
We have this heating too but i must be lucky as hot water isn't a problem. I rarely need to use the boost and only have my water on the timer every two days. I would get the lagging on your hot water tank checked ours will stay hot for 2 days.

WeeBurd
09-Aug-07, 21:16
Weeburd,

How are you gonna fuel your 100watt smile?

karia

Ha ha My bulbs just blew!

Well tonight, a well earned bottle of beer is doing the trick ;)! And thanks to a day out in the sun, ma cheeks are positively glowing too! [lol]

johno
09-Aug-07, 21:26
We used to be in a house that had electric total heating. total heating my foot. 4 am the house was roasting, come 4 pm it was bloody freezing .very expensive . totally useless. we now have gas [town gas] and what a difference, warm when we want it ,no waiting to heat up ,more or less instant. and when the c h is on we get the hot water free as it transfers the heat in the boiler. and it is relatively cheap in comparison to electricity. :lol:

karia
09-Aug-07, 21:33
Hi Weeburd.

Never doubted you would find a way!

Most everything but the computer 'blew' whilst answering you which gave me a real case of the 'giggles'!

Don't criticise electricity Karia, or LOOK what we will do!!!!

Even if I think that gas is best, I am way too scared of the lights going out to suggest it again.[para][para]

I'm sure you understand!

Karia

Oddquine
09-Aug-07, 22:07
Maybe somebody could tell me what all the switches with red lights in my new place are. I seem to have total control electric heating(HaH....control..I wish!)

I have worked out that one is the fridge, one is the washing machine and one is the extractor fan in the kitchen...................but I have one in my lobby which doesn't appear to do anything. The immersion heater seems to come on whether the red light is on or not............and I can't see that it would have anything to do with the radiators as they have an enormous switch box on the wall beside the normal 'leccy one.

I've got a calor gas heater ready for huddling over in the winter!

Fran
10-Aug-07, 03:05
Halogen heaters are great, better than the gas bottle fires.They are cheap to buy and cost under 3p an hour to run.They are very safe, if knocked over they go out, they are not like electric fires so you wont catch fire with them.They give off a nice heat. I have them in the kitchen and the study when my heating isnt on.

ashaw1
10-Aug-07, 14:17
You seem to be in a similar situation me, it has taken me ages to work out what all the switches are in my new house. The one outside the bathroom door is for the shower, the one in the hall i suspect is for the outside light. My hot water is timed in with the heating, i have 2 sockets in the kitchen that dont have an off switch. The house should have come with an instruction manual!

sweetpea
10-Aug-07, 14:26
I've moved into a place with storage heating, I was told there is a way of controlling it so they don't put the heat out until night but can't remember what it was, something to do with output and input. It's expensive to run especially the convectors that blow out hot air.

WeeBurd
10-Aug-07, 15:48
I've moved into a place with storage heating, I was told there is a way of controlling it so they don't put the heat out until night but can't remember what it was, something to do with output and input. It's expensive to run especially the convectors that blow out hot air.

Wait a minute - I think I've spotted a new opportunity to source some green energy... The Orgerator: it will harness all the hot air spouted on the Org (lets face it. we all spout some at times!), and sell it back to fellow Orgers at minimal costs! [lol]