PDA

View Full Version : Lillies in Caithness?

jsherris
09-Aug-07, 14:42
I have several large pots outside the front of my house, & although quite a few will probably move with us, some larger boxes that I made will be just too large.
However, I have some special lillies that are doing absolutely wonderful this year now that they have established.... but will they survive the Caithness climate do you think?
They are the large Oriental type Lillies - some white & some pink - they were Mum's fave plants & I'd hate to think that if I bring them, I'd kill them off :eek:

porshiepoo
09-Aug-07, 16:32
I have several large pots outside the front of my house, & although quite a few will probably move with us, some larger boxes that I made will be just too large.
However, I have some special lillies that are doing absolutely wonderful this year now that they have established.... but will they survive the Caithness climate do you think?
They are the large Oriental type Lillies - some white & some pink - they were Mum's fave plants & I'd hate to think that if I bring them, I'd kill them off :eek:

I've been here a few years - in Lybster - and I've had lillies growing outside every year. The winter was so mild this year though that I didn't even take them in for the winter and they're still flowering now. :)

Just to point out, I live just outside the village in quite an exposed site. The wind we get can be atrocious coming off the sea and they've all survived.

jsherris
09-Aug-07, 16:40
I've been here a few years - in Lybster - and I've had lillies growing outside every year. The winter was so mild this year though that I didn't even take them in for the winter and they're still flowering now.

Just to point out, I live just outside the village in quite an exposed site. The wind we get can be atrocious coming off the sea and they've all survived.

Thank you! Yep, we're looking at a Lybster move - but wherever we settle I'd like my Lillies to come too - isn't it mad the things we suddenly start thinking about!
Julie

corgiman
09-Aug-07, 16:42
I had oriental lillies in the garden and never took them in ever and they came every year faithfully

porshiepoo
09-Aug-07, 16:57
You'll love it up here.
One of my worries was the garden as I've been used to a garden full of flowers and blooms and I figured nothing would grow up here. Not so!

I have some hebes that are about 4 1/2ft now and flower every year and do really well. I took loads of cuttings last year and hopefully I'll be able to make a hedge next year with them.
I even have a fatsia outside in the garden that stays out all year round.
I got some roses last year from Lidl and they look amazing this year.
Yep, pretty much loads grows up here so enjoy!!!!!!! :)

Dreamweaver
20-Aug-07, 11:21
Flippin' wild rabbits have eaten my upcoming lilies :~([disgust]

Anne x
20-Aug-07, 12:40
poor you Rabbits again eh !!!:(

I grew lovely lillies up there and never took them in they were in pots though but appeared year after year lovely blooms :lol:

Dreamweaver
21-Aug-07, 13:03
Maybe I should put them in tall pots so the darned bunnies couldn't reach :lol:

paris
24-Aug-07, 07:26
I tried to grow Lillie's this year in pots but the slugs got to them first. Ive just used slug pellets for the first time ever and they are brill. In the morning you would be very surprised by the amount of dead/dying slugs and snails and although its not healthy for slugs it doesn't hurt the birds that eat them. janx