PDA

View Full Version : alzheimers

bluelady
08-Aug-07, 23:11
Did anyone see the sad documentary on ITV tonight, its so close to the truth, this could happen to anyone of usor our loved ones and there is little or no funding for this. This only showed the tip of the iceburg, the symptoms, behaviour etc are much more intense at times. I have witnessed it many times and feel angry that more isnt done to help. :(

jsherris
08-Aug-07, 23:28
I never saw the programme - we've been visiting Andy's mum in Middlesbro today - but I totally sympathise with the whole Alzheimer's topic.
My old nanny came to live with me when I had a baby of 16mths, another of 2mths & a hard working hubby.
Some days I didn't know who to clean up first... and the washing!
Plus the fact that we only had a 3rd floor 2 bed council flat, no financial help, no benefits or allowances, etc etc... at 23 I think I coped wonderfully and for 12mths she didn't go into a home until she got to the point where she needed constant medical care.. a touch out of my remit, but that was only 3mths until she passed away.

She was actually my step-nanny, but you know what? I wouldn't have changed a thing!
(Well, maybe a ground floor 3 bed flat might have been nice!)
And a bit of support from my mum & stepdad would have been nice too.......[evil]

Torvaig
08-Aug-07, 23:28
I didn't see it bluelady but I know it is a horrendous condition and as you say, could happen to any one of us.

I don't know if you have experience of online help groups; I have and if you find the right one for you, they can be very helpful, understanding and supportive.

Do try this link for a start if you are interested:-

http://www.alzheimers.org.uk/

bluelady
09-Aug-07, 11:29
I never saw the programme - we've been visiting Andy's mum in Middlesbro today - but I totally sympathise with the whole Alzheimer's topic.
My old nanny came to live with me when I had a baby of 16mths, another of 2mths & a hard working hubby.
Some days I didn't know who to clean up first... and the washing!
Plus the fact that we only had a 3rd floor 2 bed council flat, no financial help, no benefits or allowances, etc etc... at 23 I think I coped wonderfully and for 12mths she didn't go into a home until she got to the point where she needed constant medical care.. a touch out of my remit, but that was only 3mths until she passed away.

She was actually my step-nanny, but you know what? I wouldn't have changed a thing!
(Well, maybe a ground floor 3 bed flat might have been nice!)
And a bit of support from my mum & stepdad would have been nice too.......[evil]

Bless you and well done for you doing that in your situation and at a young age and shame on your parents for their lack of help.especially your step dad whom im assuming it was his mother? :mad:as a carer of many years, i know its not easy and i know your granny would have been secure in your surroundings etc for as long as she was. However as you say, there comes a day when you just have to let go. i dont know what your career is at present, but you've experiance to become a carer. I wonder where her benefits etc went? As her carer you should have had control of her pension and been recieving a carers allowance. If you recieved nothing at all, something is wrong, i would contact the social, you may be intitled to something back, although im sure if its too late now. Worth a try. Good luck

jsherris
09-Aug-07, 11:42
......i dont know what your career is at present, but you've experiance to become a carer. I wonder where her benefits etc went? As her carer you should have had control of her pension and been recieving a carers allowance. If you recieved nothing at all, something is wrong, i would contact the social, you may be intitled to something back, although im sure if its too late now. Worth a try. Good luck

I trained at 18 as an RNMS - Registered nurse for the mentally subnormal.... I've since worked in Nursing homes, but I wouldn't want to put any of my family in one if there was an alternative choice.....

We did get her pension, but we never put in for any allowances or anything - and the rules were a little bit different back then anyway... but it's all water under the bridge now & I'm just glad that we had that final year together & I was able to look after her the way she looked after me when we settled in Kent .... Happy memories indeed :)

Max
09-Aug-07, 15:02
I saw this programme. It was on before and I couldn't watch it all - I watched it this time though and when I saw the state of that poor man near the end I cried. You would get arrested if you kept an animal in that condition - uanble to eat, swallow, skin and bone .....oh it was awful.

horseman
09-Aug-07, 22:02
All the power to your elbow jsherris!
You are the salt of the earth!
What a lovely re'sume.
bluelady,bet your boots this lady is care maerial!Max we all weep with you-next obvious is why-who,why.when where can an ordinary' person turn to for redress? I know,Iv'e tried it,an been fobbed off. The government allways wins:roll:

jsherris
09-Aug-07, 23:06
All the power to your elbow jsherris!
You are the salt of the earth!
What a lovely re'sume.
bluelady,bet your boots this lady is care maerial!Max we all weep with you-next obvious is why-who,why.when where can an ordinary' person turn to for redress? I know,Iv'e tried it,an been fobbed off. The government allways wins

:o Horseman, thank you!
I just think (and it's not a popular belief in our family tho) that we should all look after each other.
Sometimes, I look at our local asian families almost with envy - they don't use homes, (very rarely anyway) and the family units are quite strong - ok, it might not be everyone's cup of tea, and I'm glad my mum never got to that point (phew!)

I've told my girls that when I'm like that, I'm going to live with my middle girl & be a real stroppy old bag! Then when I get palmed off on the other 2 I will behave - then be even worse when I go back to Kerri, just to get my own back - haha!

But family support in the UK? Doesn't exist I'm afraid, not when it comes to care of the elderly :(

karia
09-Aug-07, 23:12
Julie,

Would that it were so simple!

Karia

Lumberjack
10-Aug-07, 18:41
Last week, my father died of Alzheimers disease.
It is a very harrowing experience to see someone you love and respect to be reduced to nothing more than a shell of what they used to be.
All credit to the staff of the Town & County Hospital in Wick for dealing with a very difficult and emotional illness.
When the end came, it was almost a blessing, as the poor man did not know who he was or who anyone else was.
I do not think that any amount of money or research will ever explain the workings of the human mind, as it is generally accepted that it is beyond current comprehension.
To any other family members of anyone suffering from the same disease, please try to remember the person as they were, rather than the person they may have become.

Lumberjack, AKA SAS.

crashbandicoot1979
10-Aug-07, 20:10
Last week, my father died of Alzheimers disease.
It is a very harrowing experience to see someone you love and respect to be reduced to nothing more than a shell of what they used to be.
All credit to the staff of the Town & County Hospital in Wick for dealing with a very difficult and emotional illness.
When the end came, it was almost a blessing, as the poor man did not know who he was or who anyone else was.
I do not think that any amount of money or research will ever explain the workings of the human mind, as it is generally accepted that it is beyond current comprehension.
To any other family members of anyone suffering from the same disease, please try to remember the person as they were, rather than the person they may have become.

Lumberjack, AKA SAS.

Lumberjack, so sorry to hear that you lost your father. However I totally appreciate what you mean when you say that it was a blessing in a way. We watched a family member succumb to alzheimers a few years ago and it was heartbreaking. In a sense, he "died" when the disease took hold because he was a totally different person, completely unrecogniseable to who he had been before. The end was a relief for all of us including him, because I know he would have absolutely hated the person he had become. As you said, it is important to remember the person they were, because who they became was never really them.

trix
10-Aug-07, 20:16
lumberjack,
im so sorry for yer loss. i work with the elderly and have seen how hard it can be for the family. peace be with you.

nannydip
10-Aug-07, 20:38
Sorry about your dad lumberjack, must have been hard for you and your family. Have worked with alzheimer sufferers and know it is heart rending. Glad he got good care.

jsherris
10-Aug-07, 21:16
All credit to the staff of the Town & County Hospital in Wick for dealing with a very difficult and emotional illness..............
Lumberjack, AKA SAS.

Firstly, please accept my condolences. I understand what a relief it must have been though - just remember that guilt has no place being with you at a time like this - it is a natural response when the person you knew and loved succumbs to alzheimers and is transformed overnight.

But how wonderful for you to have had the knowledge that he was being cared for in a compassionate and dignified way.

I worked for a number of years in Nursing homes - it's also quite criminal when you care for someone & realise that the family haven't been to visit in weeks - even though they might only live a few miles away.

And then when the inevitable happens, they give the impression that if the staff had done their job properly, the relative would be still be around.
It was so much easier dealing with the elderly when you had built up a rapport with the family members, but my heart used to go out to those who had been abandoned, if you will.
The whole topic is a very emotive one, and a personal one too.
Julie
x

Fran
21-Aug-07, 01:09
It was such a touching programme, i was in tears, what a wonderful woman. I taped the programme if anyone would like it.

paris
21-Aug-07, 08:48
We also had my mum living with us a few years ago and she also had alzheimers. I remember one time when my hubbys new boss called round about a job and to our horror there was mum having a poo in my washing up bowl, she said it was a potty and her mum told her to go on it bless her, although i was cross how can you tell someone of for doing something like that when they really do belive what they are doing is right. Mum has been gone 13 yrs now and i would still have her here the way she was than not at all. jan x