PDA

View Full Version : TV Licence

karia
08-Aug-07, 20:27
My Tv licence renewal is in,

£135. 50

no extras... basic channels .........

....'still Game' is a bit good, and ye get the news an that, but it's no worth that much.

I'd want Dorothy Paul for that kinda dosh![lol][lol]

Karia

anneoctober
08-Aug-07, 20:31
hi Karia
Good grief, I pay my tv licence monthly by DD, but I did n't realise the actual cost. Dick Turpin at least wore a mask when he robbed the public !:eek: Dorothy who?? :confused

karia
08-Aug-07, 20:39
Hahahahaha!

Even Dick turpin has heard of Dorothy Paul!

Brilliant female Glaswegian comedienne,....GOOGLE!

Na! You're just havin' a laugh, surely???:eek::eek:

karia

percy toboggan
08-Aug-07, 20:46
less than three quid a week?
It's worth that for the news alone, and the Archers.

Seriously, there must be other things you watch on the beeb.
If nothing else it's a refuge from adverts.

NickInTheNorth
08-Aug-07, 20:57
at one time percy I would have agreed with you. But my recent experience of BBC news has been that they are trying to compete with The Sun - as such I don't really think the licence fee is justified.

About the only terrestrial channels I have any time for are Channel4 and five

Seems a bit of a rip off to me that we have to pay for the bbc when they appear to want to appeal to the lowest common denominator. They chase the ratings when they really don't need to, or in my not very humble opinion, should do.

floyed
08-Aug-07, 21:11
I got mine in the other day it is getting really to expensive for what we are getting, i wouldn't mind if there was decent films on and programs. They always play the same films over and over again :(

Marty McFly
08-Aug-07, 21:11
Thats a little over 37p per day! Wow

What else can you do for 24hrs that only costs 37p? ;)

And you get radio thrown in too for that money....postively spoilled for choice!

karia
08-Aug-07, 21:25
Agree with nick,..but we don't even get channel (s) five or any history or extra film channels as we are in a 'valley'!

Get the shopping channels only in torrential rain!

Thing is, have you ever just said stuff it and got rid of the TV altogether,..the licencing folk are all over your house searching in the coal cellar for your hidden receiver as they just cannot process the fact that you could, just, conceivably,......do without a Telly!:eek:

Same happens if you register a Black & White TV,........they cannot work out why anyone might even consider such a possibility.

Interesting suppositions in my opinion.

Karia

horseman
08-Aug-07, 21:33
Trust someone to look at in that way!Good for you marty, seems to be a bit easier to bear now.:)

karia
08-Aug-07, 21:42
Trust someone to look at in that way!Good for you marty, seems to be a bit easier to bear now.:)

I am well aware that our two daily newspapers cost more,...but at least I read them (and re-cycle too!)

Can't remember the last time I watched anything more than the odd programme on TV.

Value for money,...No way!

karia

percy toboggan
08-Aug-07, 21:52
I am well aware that our two daily newspapers cost more,...but at least I read them (and re-cycle too!)

Can't remember the last time I watched anything more than the odd programme on TV.

karia

Coast?

Maybe not. Perhaps, like me, you spend too much time on 'ere?

karia
08-Aug-07, 22:00
Coast?

Maybe not. Perhaps, like me, you spend too much time on 'ere?

No percy, to be honest Coast was and is a fascinating and watchable series.

Shame that like everything they have milked it and we now have the DVD's, the magazines..etc.:roll:

Karia

Torvaig
08-Aug-07, 23:42
Is it not the case now that if you have a computer capable of receiving tv images even though you have no tv, you need a licence anyway?
I constantly got threatening letters until I wrote to them saying that the DVLA didn't keep harassing me just because I didn't have a car!

DeHaviLand
09-Aug-07, 00:34
Got rid of my tv 6 months ago, and now i get 2 demanding and threatening letters a month from those very nice people at TV licencing. Its nice of them to keep in touch with me, somedays its the only mail I get. Bless them :D

Tristan
09-Aug-07, 00:41
I think you need a licence to view television. You can watch DVD's etc to your heart's content as long as it is not attached to an aerial.

You need a TV Licence to use any television receiving equipment such as a TV set, set-top boxes, video or DVD recorders, computers or mobile phones to watch or record TV programmes as they are being shown on TV.

If you use a set-top box with a hi-fi system or another device that can only be used to produce sounds and can't display TV programmes, and you don't install or use any other TV receiving equipment, you don't need a TV Licence.

http://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/information/index.jsp

Tristan
09-Aug-07, 00:47
Just found this on the same site, and example of more big brother at work and more work for our shop keepers.

If you sell or rent TV receiving equipment, under The Wireless Telegraphy Act 1967 (as amended) - you are required to notify us within 28 days of each transaction, providing full details of the purchaser or hirer.

http://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/information/tvdealers.jsp[evil]

DeHaviLand
09-Aug-07, 01:01
Just found this on the same site, and example of more big brother at work and more work for our shop keepers.

If you sell or rent TV receiving equipment, under The Wireless Telegraphy Act 1967 (as amended) - you are required to notify us within 28 days of each transaction, providing full details of the purchaser or hirer.

http://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/information/tvdealers.jsp[evil]

This has always been in force Tristan.

jsherris
09-Aug-07, 01:08

Tristan, that's been in place for years!

Listen, I don't agree or disagree with the licence fee as such & as martin & percy say, when you work it out, it's actually good value for money.......

However.... I fill in a daily survey for Gfk about TV - what I watch, what channels, what I thought about certain aspects, etc. Last week, I was emailed directly, to ask WHY I didn't appear to watch any BBC channels, or listen to any BBC radio...... well, I told them that firstly, there's nothing on BBC TV I want to watch, & the only radio I listen to is our local commercial Radio Wave for Blackpool. And secondly, there's not really anything on BBC that I want to watch!
We pay £53 a month for the full Sky package, an extra box for the granny flat & sky plus (can we get Sky in Lybster, by the way?) and yes, we do pay our licence fee by DD as well - the only TV I watch at the moment, is the Grand Prix (ITV) when I'm not having a 'Nanny' weekend & the odd programme from Sky 1, sky news, or the living or discovery channels... I simply don't watch BBC - end of.

We also have had our terrestrial aerial removed, because we have Sky..... so on this basis, In My Opinion, when you have Sky fitted & subscribe to a Sky package, if you also agree to the removal of your aerial at the same time, it should be Sky paying your licence fee for you - I know they do good deals sometimes, but it should now be an option - especially with digital being phased in & such.

Anyway, that's my thoughts.

crayola
09-Aug-07, 02:00

kariaIt's value for money if you watch it, but not if you don't. You don't, so don't renew your licence. Simple. ;)

Metalattakk
09-Aug-07, 03:54
My Tv licence renewal is in,

£135. 50

no extras... basic channels .........

....'still Game' is a bit good, and ye get the news an that, but it's no worth that much.

I'd want Dorothy Paul for that kinda dosh![lol][lol]

Karia

I'm happy to pay that for their fantastically excellent www.bbc.co.uk website (and all its offshoots) alone, quite apart from their frankly embarrassing daily televisual output.

johno
09-Aug-07, 09:07

karia

hi karia, RECYCLE no one can recycle as much as the bbc, i ve seen repeats of the repeats & remember that all of the licence fee goe,s to the beeb.
i agree with you that the service from them is rubbish. We hardly ever watch anything on the bbc channels except still game on beeb 2 [thats 2nite by the way.] At least with sky tv we have a choice ,pay it & watch or dont pay & dont watch. With the beeb we dont have that option. If you want to watch sky, itv or even a dvd or video you still have to pay the BBC licence.
cant see why a system cant be introduced to block bbc channels if one did,nt want to subscribe to them . sky doe,s it. so it is possible. O r is it the case that it,s the house that is licenced as a recieving station. [disgust]

johno
09-Aug-07, 09:13
PS, I THINK THAT THEY KNOCK A COUPLE OF QUID OFF THE FEE FOR A BLIND PERSON. BIG DEAL EH.? AND I DONT THINK THAT YOU COULD BUY A B&W SET NOWADAYS.[disgust]