PDA

View Full Version : Camp 165 Watten

Valerie Campbell
08-Aug-07, 13:18
This is a big thank you to everyone who helped with this book. It's out in December and is available for pre-order at Whittles Publishing in Dunbeath. Anyone who has more information on the camp, please get in touch. It's part of your history and it's important that it isn't lost. Thank you all once again and happy reading.

Valerie Campbell
10-Aug-07, 20:19
Hi folks again. The book is also available for pre-order at Amazon. Cheers.

trinkie
11-Aug-07, 08:59
I've added this book to my Christmas List and really look forward to reading it.
Those of us of a certain age will remember the Watten POW Camp and the wonderful concerts we were taken to as children. At the time we had little notion of 'Prisoners of War' but looked forward to the next great outing, setting off on the bus for a concert at Watten.

Later, the German Prisoners were allowed to come round the doors selling some of the things they had made. Of course they had little to work on, but many of the mums bought a pair of rope slippers for the children , or a wooden 'nodding chicken' toy.

After the War, one of the Prisoners returned to Caithness with his Choir, to thank the folk here for all their kindness.

There's so much more I'd like to know about the Watten Camp and I'm sure the Book will be full of surprises. So thank you for putting it all together.

Trinkie.

Torvaig
11-Aug-07, 10:21
I've added this book to my Christmas List and really look forward to reading it.
Those of us of a certain age will remember the Watten POW Camp and the wonderful concerts we were taken to as children. At the time we had little notion of 'Prisoners of War' but looked forward to the next great outing, setting off on the bus for a concert at Watten.

Later, the German Prisoners were allowed to come round the doors selling some of the things they had made. Of course they had little to work on, but many of the mums bought a pair of rope slippers for the children , or a wooden 'nodding chicken' toy.

After the War, one of the Prisoners returned to Caithness with his Choir, to thank the folk here for all their kindness.

There's so much more I'd like to know about the Watten Camp and I'm sure the Book will be full of surprises. So thank you for putting it all together.

Trinkie.

You have just reminded me that we had a wooden dog, jointed with thick cardboard to make it "bendy"! It came from the German camp as a gift to an older cousin as some of the prisoners worked on his father's farm. Thanks for the memory.....now I wonder will Mother let me rummage through her cupboards to see if it is still there.......

Angela
11-Aug-07, 10:26
Putting it on my Amazon Wish List, Valerie! :)

My family depend on these gentle hints for choosing my Christmas presents! ;)

anneoctober
11-Aug-07, 20:23
WILL DEFINATELY BE ORDERING 3 COPIES FOR XMAS PRESSIES. OH AND 1 FOR ME [lol]