PDA

View Full Version : Pupils gain five A pass Highers

crayola
08-Aug-07, 00:43
Saw this story (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/highlands_and_islands/6935408.stm)earlier today on the BBC.

Here's some of it:-

Forty-three school pupils in the Highlands have gained five Highers with an A pass, according to analysis by Highland Council.

Those achieving five Highers with an A pass include seven pupils from Millburn Academy in Inverness, seven from Lochaber High School, six from Fortrose Academy and six from Thurso High School.

Many congratulations to the Thurso pupils. It's good to see my alma mater making the news for all the right reasons.

Congratulations also to all Caithness pupils who gained Highers, Advanced Highers, Standard Grades, Intermediates and other qualifications that an oldie might not know about.

anneoctober
08-Aug-07, 00:51
Congratulations to all, who attained such success. It's great to see our kids doing well . :D

crayola
08-Aug-07, 12:15
Yes, it's great. These kids are the future of Caithness and we need them to create and work in the businesses of the post-Dounreay era.

I see they've discovered why many kids couldn't get their results online on Monday. See here (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/6934550.stm).

Scotland's exams body has admitted that a missing letter in a web address caused problems for candidates trying to access results.
About 35,000 pupils registered to receive Higher and Standard Grade results online a day early.

However, some received error messages when they tried to enter the site using web links supplied by the Scottish Qualifications Authority (SQA).

The error was caused by a letter "s" missing from an SQA web link.

Dozens of candidates contacted the BBC Scotland news website to say they were unable to access their results online on Monday, a day before results were due to arrive in the post.

A number of disgruntled candidates and their parents said problems occurred because they were initially directed to the non-secure web address which has the prefix http, instead of the secure site at https.

They said the incorrect link was supplied in letters to candidates who had requested to receive their results online. Good God, why did no-one at SQA notice? So much for their quality control.

sweetpea
08-Aug-07, 12:31
[quote=crayola;252496]Yes, it's great. These kids are the future of Caithness and we need them to create and work in the businesses of the post-Dounreay era.

I agree it's great but unfortunately many of our young people leave and don't return as these opportunities don't exist. It's like dentistry, why don't we promote these type of careers to those who want to come back?

crayola
08-Aug-07, 13:39
I agree it's great but unfortunately many of our young people leave and don't return as these opportunities don't exist. It's like dentistry, why don't we promote these type of careers to those who want to come back?You're right but the exodus of young well qualified people is a problem faced by most rural areas. You can't stop them leaving to go to college or to see the bright lights so someone has to create an environment that will entice them back when they're still young. I suppose this has to be done by the current populace of Caithness because no-one else will do it for you.

I don't suppose caithness needs more than a dozen dentists so that won't help much, but I see what you're getting at. There was something on the front page last week about a big meeting to discuss the post Dounreay era. Does anyone know anything about this? Has it happened already?

I'm one of the ones who got away and didn't come back. :o

crayola
08-Aug-07, 14:14
This is what I was talking about. It's on Friday, September 14th. Everyone in Caithness with ideas for the future should go.

http://www.caithness.org/caithnesspartnership/caithness_conference.jpg

Do you think anyone would be interested in funding my North Highland College of Pagan Studies? Caithness could do with a few more highly trained witches. ;)

thefugitive1993
08-Aug-07, 14:43
[quote=crayola;252496]Yes, it's great. These kids are the future of Caithness and we need them to create and work in the businesses of the post-Dounreay era.

I agree it's great but unfortunately many of our young people leave and don't return as these opportunities don't exist. It's like dentistry, why don't we promote these type of careers to those who want to come back?

Your point is a fair one Sweatpea; however (like a lot in life), its not that simple. Dentistry in particular is a bit of a poison chalice in Caithness. 5As minimum needed to get in to a 5 year course, with further training afterwards (I've a family memeber who is in the profession), then another postgraduate qualification and maybe three more years training to become a consultant, badly needed in the Highlands.

They could then go down south, work in a nice private practice, be well-appreciated and well paid; come to Caithness and work in a private practice and be villified, or plod along in a wilting NHS, knowing what is possible, but restricted by finance and beauraucracy.

Dentistry is only one example (I can think of many others), and maybe not the best, but following your theme.

Before the creme de la creme will want to stay in a one horse town, and I'm not being insulting, I stay in one myself, they would need to feel valued and rewarded.

How does that happen in practical terms, with the exception of a few who "love the outdoor life", it's hard to say. I've a few ideas, but who listens to me anyway?!

Alice in Blunderland
08-Aug-07, 14:47
Im one proud mummy. My eldest just scored five 1s and three 2s in her standard grades.....:D

Not only did she inherit my beauty but also my brains ;)

thefugitive1993
08-Aug-07, 14:48
Im one proud mummy. My eldest just scored five 1s and three 2s in her standard grades.....:D

Not only did she inherit my beauty but also my brains ;)

You are proud deservedly!

Boozeburglar
08-Aug-07, 14:52
I suggest Caithness folk found a religion based on crofting, say Croftology, and promote it across the globe. Make an annual journey to Caithness a central requirement. This would guarantee a steady flow of visitors. The Book of Croft Wisdom could include such gems as Dinnae yer dinner til ye'ave finisht in e fields. This could be the answer to those who have found the Atkins Diet too challenging.

How about it for the swats at Thurso High!

Well done lassies, I presume they were nearly all lassies.

;)

crayola
08-Aug-07, 14:54
Im one proud mummy. My eldest just scored five 1s and three 2s in her standard grades.....

Not only did she inherit my beauty but also my brains ;)And your modesty too? ;)

Only kidding, congrats to mother and daughter.

I've a few ideas, but who listens to me anyway?!I'm listening. I'm with you this far.

thefugitive1993
08-Aug-07, 14:58
I suggest Caithness folk found a religion based on crofting, say Croftology, and promote it across the globe. Make an annual journey to Caithness a central requirement. This would guarantee a steady flow of visitors. The Book of Croft Wisdom could include such gems as Dinnae yer dinner til ye'ave finisht in e fields. This could be the answer to those who have found the Atkins Diet too challenging.

;)

I like the idea of a new religion, particularly one with a pilgrimage.

Your farming ideology is flawed however; not all vegetables would be acceptable to me, and I propose the formation of the Reform Caithness Church, based on the trinity of Turnip, Cabbage and Swede, and rightly casting out all in favour of potatoes.

crayola
08-Aug-07, 15:03
I like it too and I think it could be incorporated into my Pagan Studies College's educational programme. Who says Pagan religions have to be old? Let's create a new one. I prefer neeps to tatties but can imagine a creating degree programe that ecompasses both flavours without creating a sectarian divide.

thefugitive1993
08-Aug-07, 15:13
I like it too and I think it could be incorporated into my Pagan Studies College's educational programme. Who says Pagan religions have to be old? Let's create a new one. I prefer neeps to tatties but can imagine a creating degree programe that ecompasses both flavours without creating a sectarian divide.

Crayola,

You may be a super person, and I don't doubt your sincerity; however, "The road to hell is paved with good intentions".

Not all vegetables are equal, and The Great Swede (praise his name), did not intend them to be. Allotments IV v 1-3.

As a caring individual, I would ask you to consider your immortal soul.

crayola
08-Aug-07, 15:35
I will consider, but let us also not forget the role of meat in the crofters' life.

He who lives by the offal dies by the offal, Haggai VII v 9.

JAWS
09-Aug-07, 06:06
Good God, why did no-one at SQA notice? So much for their quality control.And these are the people setting and marking the Exams? :eek:

crayola
10-Aug-07, 01:14
They're probably not the setters or markers.

To be fair, who amongst us would have noticed the missing 's' in http://res.sqainfo.net without long and careful scrutiny? Most would just check the bit after the // because almost all addresses start with http not https. It's still not easily forgivable.

Probably a safe assumption. :)

Why would you want to swat them? ;)

~~Tides~~
10-Aug-07, 15:24
Only two people got an A in English at WHS.

crayola
11-Aug-07, 13:56
Congrats to the two. :)

Any idea how many gained 5 A's?