PDA

View Full Version : pests

Dadie
07-Aug-07, 21:00
today we saw a mouse in homebase in the garden equipment area near the lawnmowers
told the girl behind customer services..she first of all wanted to know if we wanted to order one!....dont hold out much hope of pest control there!

mum and dad seem to get a few in their loft every year..they have started baiting their traps with chocolate..death by chocolate anyone??

someone at work seems to be catching a mole a day at the moment too!

what measures do you think are reasonable to take on pests?

jinglejangle
07-Aug-07, 21:13
today we saw a mouse in homebase in the garden equipment area near the lawnmowers
told the girl behind customer services..she first of all wanted to know if we wanted to order one!....dont hold out much hope of pest control there!

mum and dad seem to get a few in their loft every year..they have started baiting their traps with chocolate..death by chocolate anyone??

someone at work seems to be catching a mole a day at the moment too!

what measures do you think are reasonable to take on pests?

we have a mole in our garden and although he makes a terrible mess digging everywhere I couldn't bear for it to be trapped. we live in the country so do get mice sometimes in the garage which my husband traps [but i don't want to know the details !] .

Dadie
07-Aug-07, 21:17
humane traps or kill em dead type?
or full blown chemical warfare on unwanted beasties ?
or those sonic repellants ?

what do you think?

karia
07-Aug-07, 21:21
Evening Dadie,

Although I live in a town, I live in a 'renewal area' that has seen much effort put into planting and the protection of wildlife.

This has resulted in marvellous green spaces and abundant wild creatures.

We have had one mouse this year,...we fed him all sorts of delicacies in his 'friendly' trap,...but yes!,..chocolate seems to be the food of choice these days.....didn't kill him but by god you should have seen him go upon release!:eek:

Our biggest problem is ants, not the wee, smart crawly ones,...the big horrid flying ones.

For 5 years our kitchen has been plagued by them every summer, following loads of advice we installed an 'electrocutor' which does what you think it does.

It's not pleasant but you want to see the alternative.

karia

coastown
07-Aug-07, 21:58
Evening Dadie,

Although I live in a town, I live in a 'renewal area' that has seen much effort put into planting and the protection of wildlife.

This has resulted in marvellous green spaces and abundant wild creatures.

We have had one mouse this year,...we fed him all sorts of delicacies in his 'friendly' trap,...but yes!,..chocolate seems to be the food of choice these days.....didn't kill him but by god you should have seen him go upon release!:eek:

Our biggest problem is ants, not the wee, smart crawly ones,...the big horrid flying ones.

For 5 years our kitchen has been plagued by them every summer, following loads of advice we installed an 'electrocutor' which does what you think it does.

karia
grangemouth has the same problem with ants flying ones, in the kitchen,the bins,all over the doorstep, nasty horrible little things

corgiman
07-Aug-07, 22:03
I bought this stuff and the dispenser to keep flies out of the rabbit shed and it is fabulous, pricey but absolutely 100% recommended
http://www.pestcontroldirect.co.uk/acatalog/___SWAK_Insecticidal__Aerosol.html

WeeBurd
07-Aug-07, 22:23
Our house backs onto a field, so we tend to get hit hard by mice. Upon spotting fresh signs of them in the house, we've resorted to trapping in previous years, however this year we've invested in one of those sonic repellant thingies. Time will tell whether it works or not...

BTW, the most successful bait we've found for traps, is Penguin choccie biscuits!

jsherris
08-Aug-07, 00:49
.....BTW, the most successful bait we've found for traps, is Penguin choccie biscuits!.....

Aww! What a shame!
There was a 'pound shop' just on the corner of our street up until a couple of months ago - they sold bags of 250 Penguin Bars for £1!!
And, I must say, they weren't all crushed, nor were they out of date - one bag went a long way for keeping the kiddies happy!

If I can find out where in the town the guy moved his shop to, I'll fetch you some up when we come for Andy's interview!
Julie

anneoctober
08-Aug-07, 00:59
On Monday, our "prent" Stephen shot into the office saying "there's a rat in the garage", as hubby was on 'phone I had to check this out. :roll:
Imagine my face when "the rat" turned out to be a field mouse, Stephen was in the boot of the nearest car...........:lol:

Ricco
08-Aug-07, 08:46
:eek:

karia

Another approach is a product called 'Deathlac'. It is manufactured by Gerhardt Pharmaceuticals Ltd. You spray this around the edge of the floor and skirting boards. It kills the ants within a few hours of them walking on it. You must take the precautions that are on the packaging, though.

horseman
08-Aug-07, 22:45
What a bloodthirsty lot you are, I was near on looking for some mention of a machine gun;)

Errogie
09-Aug-07, 11:26
Peanut butter is better than chocolate and easier to stick/smear on most traps.

bluelady
09-Aug-07, 11:33
i see theres a new digital device you plug in advertised on the TV today, you can get it at Wollies, anyone tried it yet ?