PDA

View Full Version : PETROL PRICES .

bandite
17-Jul-05, 10:51

2little2late
17-Jul-05, 13:14
Not exactly the best value. More like the cheapest of a dear lot.

linzy222
30-Jul-05, 10:26
I was in wick last night and i couldn't believe it!!

Petrol in Wick is at 95.9p where as in Thurso 94.9p

Is this the first time wick has been dearer than Thurso??

bandite
30-Jul-05, 12:00

Kaz
30-Jul-05, 15:58

That's only at Richards Garage, the others are 2p more!!

Value for money? ...... huh that's a laugh!

jacktar
30-Jul-05, 16:16
Tut! Tut! John -ops sorry bandite, :D you shouldn't be using these posts to advertise your business.

William
30-Jul-05, 16:54
ok so petrol costs alot but there is nothing we can do about it so why so many posts about it it is just pointless

Ojibwa
30-Jul-05, 17:53
Here here!!! I agree. So the petrol price is higher, get over it people!!! You could always walk, cycle,use buses or trains. Or just be thankful that you can enjoy the luxury of having a car. Please no more posts about the cost of petrol in Caithness.

champagnebaby
30-Jul-05, 18:13
Me too, it's the always the same in these threads about petrol.

What's the point in moaning, if you want petrol that's the price you gotta pay - get over it :roll:

Austin Powers
30-Jul-05, 21:35
Don't think anyone is complaining, they r just keeping people upto date with the prices

If it was something else where the prices go up and down, like the shares, wouldn't u want to know what the prices were??

peter macdonald
30-Jul-05, 23:32
be interesting to see what happoens when tescos 6 pump gets into action ..will those pump owners (who say they make absolutly nothing on selling petrol ) go out of business or will they fall in line with Tescos i think the latter will be the case if the pattern set in Dingwall is a guide ...funny as the pump owners down there made nothing on selling petrol as well but managed to adjust their prices when tescos arrived HHhhhmmmm !!!

JimH
31-Jul-05, 07:50
Look after your local garage - Sutherlands of Halkirk are the cheapest in the area. :Razz

sandy01
31-Jul-05, 10:23
Funny how if you remember, a few years back, how OPEC (oil producing countries) decided in a hurry to reduce production, when the price of crude fell to below $20 a barrel, to force the price up. pity they don't do the opposite when the price goes through the roof!!!!!!!

hereboy
31-Jul-05, 16:43
Sandy01, unfortunately they can'tjust open iup the taps - they are pretty much producing at capacity... supply and demand are not moving hand in hand...

hence the looming economic shambles that will befall the industrialsed nations in the next 18 -24 mths.

Lets see how cheap Tesco Petrol prices will be then! Or the price of a tin of beans ... ;)

DRM
31-Jul-05, 22:19
Just came home from my hols and in Aberdeen Diesel is only 90.9p per litre
Shows how we are being ripped off bigstyle by the locals here but remember 80p IS tax

Rheghead
31-Jul-05, 23:46
Just came home from my hols and in Aberdeen Diesel is only 90.9p per litre
Shows how we are being ripped off bigstyle by the locals here but remember 80p IS tax

Please give facts and a calculation to prove that 80p is tax.

captain chaos
01-Aug-05, 10:05
http://www.ukpia.com/Portals/0/Repository/Documents/UPP04.doc

This talks about 2003 prices but the % is the same as 2005

Duty and tax account for 75-80% of the pump price. For example, figure 1 shows the typical breakdown of a litre of unleaded petrol at the average UK major brand pump price of 76.3p (2003 average). Of this, 57.5p is duty and tax, 13.5p represents the cost of product and 5.3p is available to the oil company/retailer to cover the cost of supply from a refinery through to the filling station, as well as their profit.

Government excise duty.

Excise duty is charged at the fixed rate of 47.1p per litre on unleaded petrol and diesel, and on top of this VAT is charged at 17.5%. This large tax component has the effect of diluting changes in underlying crude and product prices because these have become a smaller proportion of the total price

Austin Powers
02-Aug-05, 19:56

That's only at Richards Garage, the others are 2p more!!

Value for money? ...... huh that's a laugh!

All the garages in Thurso are at 94p and have been for over a week!!

Rheghead
04-Aug-05, 12:48
I remember 2 years ago that diesel was 85.9p/l in pennyland when it was 74.4p/l in inverness. Now it is 94p/l in thurso and 93p/l in inverness, the gap is closing fast? I fear the impact of tescos will be minimal,no?

macc
04-Aug-05, 17:29
Not only are all the local garages making a clondike out of us all with their prices, I think a few of them are managed by the most pompus men. Lochshell is the exception as he will accomodate no matter what. I tried to get petrol at 9.55pm in Wick the other week and found I could not get served anywhere. I only needed enough to get home as I had to come to Wick as my son had to go to casualty, I would have gone earlier but I only just got out of hospital. Some of the lads just shrugged and said no but one on the North side shall we say was very rude and just shouted get to me. I tried to explain my situation to him with tears but he just stuck his head and shouted get again and again. Would it really of hurt one of them offer someone some help. Bring Tesco on I say because I refuse to get my fuel in the Wick area anymore.

~~Tides~~
04-Aug-05, 21:53
And you really think Tesco would give a damn about you?

The Angel Of Death
05-Aug-05, 12:45
Not only are all the local garages making a clondike out of us all with their prices, I think a few of them are managed by the most pompus men. Lochshell is the exception as he will accomodate no matter what. I tried to get petrol at 9.55pm in Wick the other week and found I could not get served anywhere. I only needed enough to get home as I had to come to Wick as my son had to go to casualty, I would have gone earlier but I only just got out of hospital. Some of the lads just shrugged and said no but one on the North side shall we say was very rude and just shouted get to me. I tried to explain my situation to him with tears but he just stuck his head and shouted get again and again. Would it really of hurt one of them offer someone some help. Bring Tesco on I say because I refuse to get my fuel in the Wick area anymore.

Funny that i have had the same problems myself when looking to get petrol (both richards and elm tree) when nearing 10 at night and got the same abuse funny thing is the notice on the door says its open to 10 now my logic (could be wrong it wont be the first time :D) says that you should be able to get served untill 10 before shutting up my workplace works to 8 at night and as much as i would like to i cant walk out the door at 5 to 8 because i like it

OPEN TO 10 MEANS 10 NOT 5 TO !!!

honestjohn
05-Aug-05, 21:46
Funny that i have had the same problems myself when looking to get petrol (both richards and elm tree) when nearing 10 at night and got the same abuse funny thing is the notice on the door says its open to 10 now my logic (could be wrong it wont be the first time :D) says that you should be able to get served untill 10 before shutting up my workplace works to 8 at night and as much as i would like to i cant walk out the door at 5 to 8 because i like it

OPEN TO 10 MEANS 10 NOT 5 TO !!!

And these are the ones who will be complaining when they have to close because Tesco has put them out of business. If you provide a sevice to the public then you go the extra mile to help the customer. They are slowly putting themselves out of business by not being helpful. Even 10 o'clock is too early to close. Makes you wonder how many people have actually needed to use their car after 10 p.m. and realised they need petrol and are not able to get any?

Rheghead
06-Aug-05, 00:37
And you really think Tesco would give a damn about you?

I have had the pleasure of living in Caithness for the last 2 years and I can honestly state that the local petrol station owners do not give a damn about the welfare of their fellow Caithnessians, so what is the loss?