PDA

View Full Version : Tweaking TV settings!

Liz
07-Aug-07, 15:21
I am hoping to get an LCD Tv in the not too distant future but what puts me off is having to 'tweak' the settings so that I get a good picture.

I have heard of people using DVE discs to callibrate settings but wouldn't have the confidence to use this.

So is there anyone who could help? I would be willing to pay.

Bobinovich
07-Aug-07, 15:23
Have PM'd you but I'm pretty sure that virtually all modern TV's auto-tune themselves.

Mr_Me19
07-Aug-07, 15:32
I'm guessing you heard a 'fact' going round that only 10% of people correctly 'tweak' their LCD or plasma screens to get the best picture quality. This may be true. However the differences are indistinguishable to the human eye. So I wouldn't worry about it. Its set up when you get it to the best on average. Which should be more than good enough. And as Bobinovich said; they auto-tune themselves so you don't even need to worry about that. Ah the joys of technology.....

Liz
07-Aug-07, 18:03
Thanks both!

I had read that TV's were set too bright for display in showrooms?
'What Hi-Fi' also say that you should change settings to get the best picture.

It would be great if I could just plug and play!

Think I should stay away from 'TV' forums as they always seem to find fault with the TV I have just chosen. Think there are a lot of perfectionists on these sites!

George Brims
07-Aug-07, 19:00
I bet those forums have been infected by the same sort of people who insist they can hear the difference between loudspeakers driven through different types of wire (most expensive wire being better of course) and that CD players can suffer from wow and flutter (cured, of course, by buying something).

Liz
07-Aug-07, 19:05
I bet those forums have been infected by the same sort of people who insist they can hear the difference between loudspeakers driven through different types of wire (most expensive wire being better of course) and that CD players can suffer from wow and flutter (cured, of course, by buying something).

Aye you could be right!:roll: Think I will stay away from them and stick with sensible people of the org!!!!!:lol:

EDDIE
07-Aug-07, 23:13
Thanks both!

I had read that TV's were set too bright for display in showrooms?
'What Hi-Fi' also say that you should change settings to get the best picture.

It would be great if I could just plug and play!

Think I should stay away from 'TV' forums as they always seem to find fault with the TV I have just chosen. Think there are a lot of perfectionists on these sites!

I have a 32 lcd sony it autotunes the minute u turn it on it tunes it in about 5 secs really fast hasstle free the only thing with digital tvs is u need a good areil thats all.
When ever u see the lcd in the showrooms the picture is all to pot because all the tvs are linked together using the one ariel what ever tv u buy the picture will be spot on when u get home
The other thing well when ure in showroom u see all the big 50 inch down to 26 inch when u look at the 32 u think thats small but when u get it home its a lot bigger than u first thought. personally i would never do without an lcd again its worth the money.
The only thing u have to watch when buyin a lcd is that they are all hd ready but not all of them is full hd? the resolution of the lcd are 720 1080i 1080p full hd is 1080p resolution
I think sometimes u can read a lot of reviews and it just makes things harder to choose and there is always somesone puting a doom and gloom view on it

Tristan
07-Aug-07, 23:30
I have been looking into getting one.
I understand the blacks aren't as good as plamsa or traditional tv's.
They all seem to be adding processing engines to eliminate blur by adding in extra frames or other tricks.

Liz
07-Aug-07, 23:39
Spot on Eddie! If you believed all you read on the forums you would never buy an LCD!
I think an 32" Tv is big enough for my living room and will look big compared with my 28" CRT.

Tristan this website gives good independent reviews on LCDs and gives info on black levels. www.hdtvorg.co.uk :)

Tristan
07-Aug-07, 23:45
Spot on Eddie! If you believed all you read on the forums you would never buy an LCD!
I think an 32" Tv is big enough for my living room and will look big compared with my 28" CRT.

Tristan this website gives good independent reviews on LCDs and gives info on black levels. www.hdtvorg.co.uk :)

Thank you for that. It looks like it has a lot of good information, I will have a look around.
:)

Liz
07-Aug-07, 23:52
Thank you for that. It looks like it has a lot of good information, I will have a look around.
:)

You are very welcome.

Let me know what you choose as I really can't make up my mind but think it is between the Panasonic TX-32LXD700 and Sony KDL-32D3000
May come down to a case of eetle ottle black bottle!:lol:

_Ju_
08-Aug-07, 20:07
I have been advised by a friend who happens to work in TV repair, etc that LCD is to be avoided. They have short lives and expensive repairs, when they are actually repairable.

Mr_Me19
08-Aug-07, 22:34
Just had a look at the specs of the two TV's and I would have to say that the Panasonic seems to be the better of the two. I didn't look at the prices however so that I could have an unbias opinion.

EDDIE
09-Aug-07, 19:10
I have been advised by a friend who happens to work in TV repair, etc that LCD is to be avoided. They have short lives and expensive repairs, when they are actually repairable.

Im not being funny about it but if that guy who works with tv repairs says avoid them does that mean the whole of the uk shouldnt buy them a lot of lcd and plasma have 5 year guarantees on them so they cant be that bad i have lcd on my computer for about 4 years now no problems lcd 32 tv no problems.
Its like everything else in life for every so many thousand of things made there is a percentage of things that go faulty bit like a car u either get a good one or one that always breaks down.

grumpyhippo
09-Aug-07, 21:29
I have just received an 'Elonex' 32" LCD TV. I bought it from http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/home/ it worked staight from the box with just the normal tuning that you'd expect for any TV.
I'd heard of Elonex making monitors for years but not TVs. From only 1 hours use I have to say that I'm very pleased and the service from ebuyer is very good. I've only used them for computer related items before and have had no difficulties. They delivered on the day they say they would and on the only occasion I had to return something (faulty computer memory) they gave an almost instant refund with no quibles. I would say that 32" TV is more than enough for even the larger size of average living room.

Tristan
09-Aug-07, 21:49
I would say that 32" TV is more than enough for even the larger size of average living room.

I am sorry to hear that. On the whole it looks like plamsa is better than LCD but most plasma's seem to be 37+

Liz
09-Aug-07, 22:20
I am sorry to hear that. On the whole it looks like plamsa is better than LCD but most plasma's seem to be 37+

From what I have read LCD's are 'catching up' on Plasmas now and certainly in the reviews by hdtvorg.co.uk they seemed to say that there wasn't much between the 32" Panasonic 32LXD700 and the Panasonic 37" Plasma.

Having said that I think you can actually sit closer to a Plasma.

I found a website where you can check what size of Tv you should get for the distance you sit away from it. Will check it out and get back to you.

Liz
09-Aug-07, 22:23
http://www.dtvcity.com/plasmatv/plasmascreensize.html

Here you go Tristan!
The good news is that, if you have set your heart on a 37" Plasma, it should be fine if you have a fairly decent size living room as you can sit just 8ft away from it.:D

Liz
09-Aug-07, 22:40
I have just received an 'Elonex' 32" LCD TV. I bought it from http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/home/ it worked staight from the box with just the normal tuning that you'd expect for any TV.
I'd heard of Elonex making monitors for years but not TVs. From only 1 hours use I have to say that I'm very pleased and the service from ebuyer is very good. I've only used them for computer related items before and have had no difficulties. They delivered on the day they say they would and on the only occasion I had to return something (faulty computer memory) they gave an almost instant refund with no quibles. I would say that 32" TV is more than enough for even the larger size of average living room.

I bought my present TV from Ebuyer and would agree with you in that their customer service is really good.
Glad you like the TV as it is a really good price.:D