PDA

View Full Version : FUN FAIR IN WICK

bandite
17-Jul-05, 00:45
What a waste of money taking the kids to the shows today in wick it is mostly all the same old rubbish that has come here for the last fifty years. [evil]
An arcade that most of the machines were broken.2 pds for roll a ball.
Just a rip off. :~(
Its about time a decent fair came up they can do it in orkney at show time :D

champagnebaby
17-Jul-05, 03:27
Totally with you on this one. :D

They're a pure rip off for nothing but crap! [mad] Was surprised to see that rave cage thing(or whatever it's called??) instead o the usual crappy umbrellas. And as for the rattley old waltzers i was on ten year ago, jeeees they need to upgrade!!!

The most annoying thing is the way they crank up the prices on county show day, gala night and bonfire night for less time on the rides - rip off merchants if ever i seen! [mad]

Only good thing about them is e candy floss!!

GAMEBOY2159
17-Jul-05, 08:17
i agree with you it is a rip off but the choice is up to you to pay these prices or stay away also a lot off kids face light up when they see the light and roundaboutsso what price do you put on there happeness for the day it was probely harder for our parents when we were kids as money wasnt so easy to come by then but i remember the time i went i enjoyed them but like you say nothing ever happens in wick and when it does most of us complain ????nothing better to do ...so those folk just stay in and let your kids play in the street wont cost you anything .... :mad:

rainbow
17-Jul-05, 13:26
The 'side shows' are the biggest waste of money - and I really worry about the safety of the machines. They appear to be sub standard, and I would discourage my own children using their pocket money st the shows, but the choice is made by the individual. Try Alton Towers or Disney ( I know this is not always an option for everyone), where you pay a one off ticket and all rides and shows are free (if you can stand the queues) but they are worth the wait, and in a day you can experience lots of rides, and if you were charged £2 a shot, like the side shows, then you will still be 'saving' money. The sideshows see the public coming and rip them off - but the choice is yours!!

cezzy1234
17-Jul-05, 15:32
Your saying there is a fun fair in wick at the momment how long is it staying there for its about the only thing that comes up heare.

postman pat
17-Jul-05, 16:44
Your saying there is a fun fair in wick at the momment how long is it staying there for its about the only thing that comes up heare.

In the last two weeks there has been a stunt show, a circus the county show so you cant possibly say that the rubbish that is at the riverside at the moment which is a poor attempt of a fun fair is the only thing that comes up here :eyes

linzy222
17-Jul-05, 16:53
Yeah but that has all been in Wick, well apart from the circus in Thurso

All the kids have had is 3days of the circus this summer

Some people can't afford to go to Wick and there was no way i was paying about £40 to get me and the kids into that stunt show!!

~~Tides~~
17-Jul-05, 17:46
God there are some stingy b*ggers on this website. [disgust]

katarina
17-Jul-05, 18:01

Some people can't afford to go to Wick and there was no way i was paying about £40 to get me and the kids into that stunt show!!

Think of all the years we had to take our kids to Thurso just for a swim! We still have to fork out if we want to take them to the cinema or the bowling! think yourself lucky at least you have that all year round!

katarina
17-Jul-05, 18:03

It usually stays until after Gala week.

johndy
17-Jul-05, 18:09
[quote="linzy222"]Yeah but that has all been in Wick, well apart from the circus in Thurso. All the kids have had is 3days of the circus this summer!

Well three days of the circus is better than nothing at all! :D

Lucy
17-Jul-05, 19:44

I'm sure you will spend more that £40 at the side shows, especially if you go during gala week. I didn't get to the stunt show or the circus myself but everyone i have spoken to assured me that both were excellent and good value for money.

Lou18
18-Jul-05, 09:19
I wouldn't worry about the safety aspect, the machines are all 'mot'd' once a year, it's not worth it for them to be unsafe as if something happened on your machine your business would be ruined.

...and as for being rip of merchants, remember that all the showpeople come from Inverness and Glasgow so they have to pay the wages for the workman they have working for them, plus diesel for taking the lorries up here, as well as running the machines....as well as making a profit - which I believe is what businesses set up to do!

postman pat
18-Jul-05, 18:28
So what type of "MOT" do the funfair rides require or is it just the antiques that pull them that get mot's. So if they are from Glasgow and Inverness why is it that the kiddies rides and waltzer lies in a shed at the Watten side of the county for the 10months of the year when they are not in use in Thurso and Wick. Some of the rides that you have to pay £2 for 5 minutes on were up here when I was a kid at least 20 years ago, so I am sure they have had there money from us here in Caithness and could at least supply something decent :eyes

katarina
18-Jul-05, 21:32
I remember the wall of death, the dodgems the dive bombers, the boxing ring, strip tease, midgets, giants, fortune tellers and the thing where you stuck to the wall (Can't remember the name of it) as well as what we have now. To me as a child it was magic. Our kids still love the fair whatever the adults think of it. so stop moaning and let the kids have their fun! The fair ground people have to make their living too. If they stopped coming it would give you something else to whinge about!

linzy222
19-Jul-05, 01:08

Think of all the years we had to take our kids to Thurso just for a swim! We still have to fork out if we want to take them to the cinema or the bowling! think yourself lucky at least you have that all year round!

Yes i know all that, but like u said we have it all year, so u can go whenever u want, but there was the sideshows, the circus, the stunt show, county show and the halkirk games all in the same month,who can afford all that things with 4 kids in 1 month??

Lou18
19-Jul-05, 09:14
Well the MOT is similar to that of a car, just like a garage there are independant companies that do safety checks on fun fair machines, all the companies will have all the relevant paperwork to back this up.

It's not always easy for the funfair companies (which there were at least 4 different ones there) to get alot of good rides up as the council only offers them a certain amount of space (which of course they have to pay rent for) so they have to work out exactly what to fit in it.

The waltzer might sit for most of the year in a shed but every other machines there is from Invergordon, Inverness and Glasgow and will be straight back down the line after all this is finished. I know that most of the machines there travel all round the country between May and December.

golach
19-Jul-05, 09:25
You are lucky you got a fun fair, check here what happened in Leith.

http://news.scotsman.com/archive.cfm?id=1634542005

postman pat
19-Jul-05, 10:13
You are lucky you got a fun fair, check here what happened in Leth.

http://news.scotsman.com/archive.cfm?id=1634542005

If they can sue the council for that amount of loss of earnings surley they can afford to replace the rubbish they have every few years, yes I understand this article is not about the shows up here but they are all taking in a large sum of money with the prices they charge. We have had most of the kiddies rides up here for the last 10+years so is it not about time they spent some of there profit on replacement rides :eyes

Setanta
19-Jul-05, 13:11
[/quote]
Yes i know all that, but like u said we have it all year, so u can go whenever u want, but there was the sideshows, the circus, the stunt show, county show and the halkirk games all in the same month,who can afford all that things with 4 kids in 1 month??[/quote]

Well if I decided to have 4 kids, my first dcision wouild have been can I afford them.
Also as this happens yearly maybe it would seem sensible to put a little aside for the happiness of the kids. It must be tough on them when all their mates are raving about the shows.

linzy222
19-Jul-05, 13:28
Who said they never went??

They were at the sideshows when they were here, they were at the circus in the ringside seats and they were at the county show, just waiting for the halkirk games as they r going to that 2

And we were in Aberdeen for a week and they were at codona's twice, the 1st week of the school hols

I was just thinking of other folk, not everyone can afford to do all that in 1 month, thats all!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! [mad]

bandite
21-Jul-05, 18:45
THOMMY SMITH THE SHOWMAN HAS TRIED TO GET NEW SHOWS IN TO WICK BUT THE GROUND IS LEASED TO THE WALLIS BROS AND THEY SAY WHAT GOES ON IT .tHEY OWN THE WALTER AND THE ARCADE. uNTIL THEY MOVE ON THINGS WILL BE THE SAME. [mad] It is tommy Smith who takes all the Hi tech shows over to the Orkney show every year.

Lou18
22-Jul-05, 10:05
Thing is, even if the Wallis's give up the ground in wick, another showman will not be allowed to go on it for 3 years - it's part of the rules of the guild. (pretty sure its 3...)

The Herchers also go to Orkney with Tommy.