PDA

View Full Version : Hayseed Dixie - Skinandi's 23/08/07

J Wishbone
06-Aug-07, 09:18
http://img104.imageshack.us/img104/2743/hayseeddixieskinsyu8.jpg (http://myspace.com/hsdx)
Shot at 2007-08-06

Astronot
08-Aug-07, 14:16
Hello folks,

We have just been added as support for the Hayseed Dixie date on the 24th of August in the Ironworks in Inverness as well and it would be good to see some familiar faces if anyone is in Inverness that night.

Cheers

Aaldtimer
11-Aug-07, 01:39
I've got my tickets!!

Jeid
11-Aug-07, 01:47
Grand... should be a good night :)

Jeid
18-Aug-07, 19:59
Bump bump... tickets available from the Central Hotel if you wanna come :)

Aaldtimer
21-Aug-07, 14:16
Still tickets available for the gig so get in now...Thursday may be too late!!
If you want to hear what the band sound like, tune into Caithness FM tonight, 9:00pm to hear a track.

marty123
21-Aug-07, 20:39
Got my tickets can't wait it going to be class!! Wonder if anyone will smell my poop i keep in a jar:lol::lol:

Metalattakk
22-Aug-07, 14:09
What time are Astronot due on stage? I know the doors open at 7.30, but when does it all kick off?

And are Hayseed Dixie finishing early (like most of those tribute bands recently) to allow the 'disco' crowd in after 11pm?

Jeid
22-Aug-07, 17:03
I think we're on stage at 8:30pm... but that's not confirmed yet

Metalattakk
22-Aug-07, 19:55
Cheers for that. :)

The Pepsi Challenge
22-Aug-07, 20:27
What time are Astronot due on stage? I know the doors open at 7.30, but when does it all kick off?

And are Hayseed Dixie finishing early (like most of those tribute bands recently) to allow the 'disco' crowd in after 11pm?

It's not just tribute bands: most bands are asked to finish their set at 10pm: more often than not by venues who run clubs afterwards. For them it makes good, commercial sense. And you get your bus home in plenty of time, too. Hayseed Dixie are not a tribute band by the way; covers band, yes.

Metalattakk
22-Aug-07, 22:29
Please inform me where I suggested that Hayseed Dixie are a tribute band?

Read, cogitate, respond.

Or is that too difficult for you to follow?

The Pepsi Challenge
23-Aug-07, 01:18
It was fairly obvious that you were implying Hayseed Dixie were (are).

Aaldtimer
23-Aug-07, 01:53

I don't think that is implying that at all actually.
Can someone actually say when Hayseed Dixie are going to be on stage?
Is the support on first, or do they start the second set , or what?

Metalattakk
23-Aug-07, 01:56

Nonsense.

If you'd been living up here, and participating in the local music scene, you'd realise that most of the bands that have played in Skins recently have been 'tribute' bands, and that they have all finished early - in time for the disco crowd to come in afterwards.

All I'm asking is if it's going to be the same with this band.

As I've said before - read, cogitate, respond. It seems you are incapable of doing such a simple thing, and have to resort to vain attempts at reading between the lines.

No wonder you get so many things wrong...

Metalattakk
23-Aug-07, 02:04
Can someone actually say when Hayseed Dixie are going to be on stage?
Is the support on first, or do they start the second set , or what?

Astronot will be on first, at 8.30pm (-ish, according to Jeid). I expect they'll play for an hour or so, and Hayseed Dixie will possibly be on then at about 9.45/10pm (-ish), finishing at about 11.30 or thereabouts.

These are purely my own suspicions though. Don't quote me! :D

If you're going, I'd certainly recommend getting there early. Astronot do a damn good live show.

Jeid
23-Aug-07, 09:57
I think you've misunderstood Pepsi. He was just saying that all of the bands that have been in Skins lately(and they have mainly been tribute bands) have finished early.

I believe we're on at 8:30pm with Hayseed Dixie getting on stage sometime after 9pm.

It'd be really good if everyone made it down for our set and supported a local rock band :)

(Thanks for the words of support Metalattakk)

Jeid
23-Aug-07, 19:29
We're not on at half 8 as it turns out, head down early cos I dunno what's happening yet.

The Pepsi Challenge
23-Aug-07, 21:34
Nonsense.

If you'd been living up here, and participating in the local music scene, you'd realise that most of the bands that have played in Skins recently have been 'tribute' bands, and that they have all finished early - in time for the disco crowd to come in afterwards.

All I'm asking is if it's going to be the same with this band.

As I've said before - read, cogitate, respond. It seems you are incapable of doing such a simple thing, and have to resort to vain attempts at reading between the lines.

No wonder you get so many things wrong...

Relax... and enjoy your hair.

Jeid
24-Aug-07, 00:03
Great gig tonight... if you weren't there, you really did miss out. Hayseed were fantastic!

Cheers for the support for ourselves, it was greatly appreciated.

Metalattakk
24-Aug-07, 00:50
Relax... and enjoy your hair.

No wonder your reputation is in tatters, Barry. Seems you were last in the queue for gumption. Ah well, I did my bit, but alas you seem incapable of doing anything other than take a running jump at that big unbreakable (to you) wall that the rest of us call 'Reasoned Debate'.

I'm even happy to supply some Elastoplast to stem the flow of nonsense that just drip, drip, drips out of your veins whenever you try to bludgeon the gates down.

Don't give up hope, Pepsi-Barry!! You'll get there in the end! ;)

As for the gig tonight -

Astronot were good as ever, but an extemley short set combined with the high ticket price meant that the audience were not quite as high-energy as expected. It's no' the same without the mosh pit. :D

Hayseed Dixie -

Good band, and a good bunch of lads too. They took a lot of time after the gig to sign autographs and let peorple take photos and really mixed with people well. Which is good.

I personally thought that their own material was far superior to the cover versions they did, which always seemed too frantic for me.

Ok, so 'Breaking The Law' and 'War Pigs' were good versions, and 'Holiday' by Green Day and Aerosmith's 'Walk This Way' were very good, but the rest were just 'rattle them through as fast as possible' in my opinion.

But then, that's just my opinion.

The Pepsi Challenge
24-Aug-07, 16:31
That's a good, honest review, Metalattakk, seriously. Why not jar the Groat for a reviewing job? No-one from the paper bothers to review local bands, in Caithness, anyway.

theboss
25-Aug-07, 16:52
As for the gig tonight -

Astronot were good as ever, but an extemley short set combined with the high ticket price meant that the audience were not quite as high-energy as expected. It's no' the same without the mosh pit. :D

Hayseed Dixie -

Good band, and a good bunch of lads too. They took a lot of time after the gig to sign autographs and let peorple take photos and really mixed with people well. Which is good.

I personally thought that their own material was far superior to the cover versions they did, which always seemed too frantic for me.

Ok, so 'Breaking The Law' and 'War Pigs' were good versions, and 'Holiday' by Green Day and Aerosmith's 'Walk This Way' were very good, but the rest were just 'rattle them through as fast as possible' in my opinion.

But then, that's just my opinion.

Cheers for the support Metalattakk, was good to see you at the gig.

Had two great nights with the Hayseed Dixie lads. Great banter. I actually enjoyed the Thurso gig more than the Ironworks even though there were more folk at the Inverness one. Really enjoyed both dates though. However, my playing did suffer a little in Inverness when I looked to the wings to see "Barley Scotch" (Hayseed frontman) standing in his birthday suit with his "banjo" tucked between his legs... it kinda threw me for a wee minute!

The Pepsi Challenge
25-Aug-07, 17:00
How many turned up to the gig, in Thurso, bossman?

moncur
25-Aug-07, 17:19
I couldnt make it to the gig. Unfortunately I had tickets to see the chilis at hampden that night :P

Jeid
26-Aug-07, 01:09
I don't think we were much over 200 in Thurso.

theboss
27-Aug-07, 09:36
How many turned up to the gig, in Thurso, bossman?

As Jeid said i think there was roughly 200ish. I was severely disappointed with the lack of faces from our very own music scene. It seems everyone was gigging that night. They missed a night of fantastic musicianship and some damn good banter.

I hope the lack of numbers doesn't put the promoters off taking more bands of the same quality north again.

moncur
27-Aug-07, 18:13
could have been a couple of simple factors that affected the attendance.

1. its not quite the end of the month so many folk are skint at the mo.
2. it was a thursday night so folk may not want to go out when workin the next day.
3. was it an over-18s event? If so then a good few astronot fans wouldnt be able to go as a lot of their fans are underage.
4. sad to say it but the price tag. was it 13 quid? some folk are happy to pay it but theres a lot who arent happy, especially for a thursday.

Hopefully people who did got will tell their friends and if hayseed dixie do come back, there will be a better turnout.

The Pepsi Challenge
27-Aug-07, 18:40
From what I can gather it sounds like the usual apathy factor. Shame, really. When I took a couple of my pals from Edinburgh up to play in April, I advertised in the paper and put up posters round town, spread the word and hoped, at the very least, a few peeps from here would come along. It didn't happen. But while the turnout wasn't great, the reception we got in Wick was grand. Don't know if we'll ever go back to Caithness to gig, but you never know. My guess is a lot of the public - those slightly interested in live music - should spend less time on the Internet and their heads in the Argos catalogue, and go support live music. God, when I were a lad, we'd go see any old garbage that played gigs. Ain't that right, Metalattakk?

Jeid
27-Aug-07, 19:43
could have been a couple of simple factors that affected the attendance.

1. its not quite the end of the month so many folk are skint at the mo.
2. it was a thursday night so folk may not want to go out when workin the next day.
3. was it an over-18s event? If so then a good few astronot fans wouldnt be able to go as a lot of their fans are underage.
4. sad to say it but the price tag. was it 13 quid? some folk are happy to pay it but theres a lot who arent happy, especially for a thursday.

Hopefully people who did got will tell their friends and if hayseed dixie do come back, there will be a better turnout.

1. People still have money and if they wanna go see live music... especially a band as good as Hayseed Dixie, then they'll pay.
2. Thursday? So what? We saw Foo Fighters on a Tuesday night. Hell, if you're gonna be hung over, at least get paid for it. Plus, just because you're going out, it doesn't mean you have to drink or get pissed. I had two beers all night and had a great time. On Friday I had no beers and had a great time.
3. It wasn't an over-18 event.
4. Erm, people aren't paying for the night, they're paying for a quality touring band. £13 is small change for a band of quality.

Someone said to me the other day that the average people would pay for a packet of fags before they became too expensive was... and this to me is quite frankly outrageous... it was... £18. For a packet of FAGS!!

£13 for an evening of entertainment is pennies.

the_big_mac
27-Aug-07, 21:58
Hell, if you're gonna be hung over, at least get paid for it.

Lol, my old motto still lives stong!

In fairness tho, 13 bucks for an hour and a quarter was quite disappointing.

I work there and didnt even know that under 18's were allowed. We could have advertised that one a bit better.

I also agree with the skintness issue, I'm rooked until next week now. And with whole lot of lead playing on Sunday before, im sure that there were a few faces there that didnt go on Thursday.

Jeid
27-Aug-07, 22:25
It sure does live strong! Why bother lying in bed dying all day, inflict your misery on others... don't be greedy.. share it :)

Yeah.. but you know how it is, these things aren't very well advertised.

Seemed like they played for longer than that.

As for skintness... As you'd say, "you'ren" a buffty!

Aaldtimer
28-Aug-07, 02:27
I went to this gig and really enjoyed the performance. OK a wee bit on the short side but they didn't exactly hang about between songs. I sounted 7 songs in the first 20 minutes! I know , sad, but after 40 years of gigs you get to notice these things.
The one thing I can never understand is the percentage of people (about 25%) who are willing to pay £13.50 for the gig and pay no attention to it whatsoever, but just get out of their faces and bawl at each other the whole night! It was a poor turnout for a great band. The gig was well publicised and people could have bought their tickets at the start of the month when the pennies could have been a bit flusher than last week.

The Pepsi Challenge
28-Aug-07, 07:45
Lol, my old motto still lives stong!

In fairness tho, 13 bucks for an hour and a quarter was quite disappointing.

I work there and didnt even know that under 18's were allowed. We could have advertised that one a bit better.

I also agree with the skintness issue, I'm rooked until next week now. And with whole lot of lead playing on Sunday before, im sure that there were a few faces there that didnt go on Thursday.

Commercial touring bands SHOULD be playing a standard 90-minute set. It's the norm, and value for money. So yes, I'll agree that £13 for an 85-minute show is a little disappointing, and one that surprises me, as Hayseed Dixie are renowned for playing 2-hour shows.

The under 18s situation: was this not advertised on the posters and in the local press, no?

The Pepsi Challenge
28-Aug-07, 07:52
The one thing I can never understand is the percentage of people (about 25%) who are willing to pay £13.50 for the gig and pay no attention to it whatsoever, but just get out of their faces and bawl at each other the whole night! It was a poor turnout for a great band. The gig was well publicised and people could have bought their tickets at the start of the month when the pennies could have been a bit flusher than last week.

I can't understand it either. The worst ones are the all-acoustic shows where seemingly large scores of obnoxious buffoons pay over the odds to stand at the back and talk throughout the entire show, spoiling everyone else's enjoyment.

As for the publicity. Well, if it has been properly advertised and people still don't go - I think Jeid said about just over 200 people turned up? - it strongly suggests no-one is prepared to support commercial touring bands in the area. In other words, there's not a market for such acts in Caithness. Should a Shania Twain tribute band turn up, however... Perhaps tie-in the next possible 'name' band who venture to the Far North with a pool competition. You'll get people turning up in droves for that.

Bobinovich
28-Aug-07, 09:43
Commercial touring bands SHOULD be playing a standard 90-minute set. It's the norm, and value for money. So yes, I'll agree that £13 for an 85-minute show is a little disappointing, and one that surprises me, as Hayseed Dixie are renowned for playing 2-hour shows.

The under 18s situation: was this not advertised on the posters and in the local press, no?

Ahem Pepsi - an hour and a quarter is only 75 minutes last time I looked [lol].

Sorry, couldn't help masel'

The Pepsi Challenge
28-Aug-07, 18:45
Thanks for pointing that out, Bob. I've had about as much sleep this (Embra) festival as Paris Hilton has brain cells. Am just surprised it wasn't Metalattakk at the nit-picking.

Casey
26-Nov-07, 12:28
Hayseed Dixie are playing Wick and Orkney this time round.

Sat 22nd March and Sun 23rd March 2008 respectively.

That's Easter Weekend!

The Pepsi Challenge
26-Nov-07, 18:37
That's because they'll probably get better support and encouragement from the Wick crowd. I would imagine.

Jeid
26-Nov-07, 20:12
What makes you think that Pepsi?

The Pepsi Challenge
26-Nov-07, 21:15
You got me, Jeid.

Nothing more than the hearsay of the board.

:)

Jeid
26-Nov-07, 23:20
Right... 150 people in on a Saturday night?(Apparently the place would've usually been a lot busier) I'm pretty sure that was the exact same amount of people that went along to see Hayseed Dixie on a Thursday night. I don't get how that equates to "better support" exactly. But good oh... I'm sure Hayseed Dixie will go down a treat.

Gleber2
27-Nov-07, 02:03
by 1 o clock I'd say there was considerably more than 150 people in the place. I'm not to sure of numbers but I'm sure it wouldn't be hard to find out

Chobbersjnr
27-Nov-07, 02:03
by 1 o clock I'd say there was considerably more than 150 people in the place. I'm not to sure of numbers but I'm sure it wouldn't be hard to find out

.....................................that should've been me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jeid
27-Nov-07, 03:00
My bad, I was in a rush, I was supposed to write 150-200. However, I wasn't there. Just going from info I was given from Mr AstroHogg

Chobbersjnr
27-Nov-07, 05:43
'preparing for correction'

I don't think astrohogg & co. stayed till the end of the J-jets show & the place went mental between 1 & 2

I thought the waterfront would have followed suit with skins & had a 12 cut off time for getting in but alas it's 1.

maybe it just seemed more at the time but by the time J-jets had come off it felt more like 350-400 people

theboss
27-Nov-07, 09:50
We left ten mins from the end of their set. Know a fair few folk who regularly go to the Waterfront and apparently there were less folk there than there usually is on a Saturday night. I'm not going to down what this guy is doing cos at least he's trying to start something but you know yourself Chobbers, there's a lot to do before this thing runs smoothly.

The £10 ticket fee was a bit silly for two local bands and a signed but yet uncharted act. And it's not like we can blame the fee on the fact that they had a long way to travel...! We played in the Ironworks with a band called "The Ads" from Glasgow in August. Signed to King Tuts records, radio one airplay, T in the Park appearance, slot at Connect Festival etc etc. £6 entry fee!

What's the use in 350-400 folk being there by the time they had come off? If the fee had been a little less and it had been more heavily advertised then maybe there would've been 350-400 folk while they were on. The first poster I saw for the gig was when I walked into the Waterfront on Saturday night, and I work in Wick!

I appreciate this was his first attempt at running a band night but I would say there is a hell of a lot to do before Hayseed Dixie arrive in March.

Jeid
27-Nov-07, 11:16
'preparing for correction'

I don't think astrohogg & co. stayed till the end of the J-jets show & the place went mental between 1 & 2

I thought the waterfront would have followed suit with skins & had a 12 cut off time for getting in but alas it's 1.

maybe it just seemed more at the time but by the time J-jets had come off it felt more like 350-400 people

Yeah, but that's by the time they came off, your own words. There were two other bands on before that... where was the 350-400 people then?

In all honesty, I've heard of the JJ's, I've heard their songs, I like live music, I like seeing bands. £10 put me off. £6-£7... I probably would've went. I'd get in and get a pint for under a tenner. If we put that into context and think of all the people who haven't heard of the JJ's, who haven't heard their songs, who ain't really bothered about seeing live bands... then £10 is a touch steep. How much is it to get into the Waterfront on a normal Saturday night?

The question also has to be asked... how many people would've turned up, if the gig was on in the earlier part of the evening when the bands were the main attraction... not the bar?

Despite my seemingly negative comments, I'd actually be delighted for the Waterfront to have a good regular music night. A good in house PA might be a good start :)

The Pepsi Challenge
27-Nov-07, 16:41
At the end of the day, it was only a £1 more to see JJ in Wick that it was in Edinburgh. The standard of living is so much higher in Caithness than it is practically anywhere else in Scotland, am sure those with an interest in supporting live music - most of whom are probably still living with their parents if JJ's target audience is to be pin-pointed - could afford an extra quid on the door tax. The difference in price is not even the price of a third of a pint. Could no-one give up one dram less? Probably not.

theboss
27-Nov-07, 17:36
I disagree Pepsi. Ok, so quality of living is higher and therefore we should all have more cash lying around than your average 18-30 year old in Edinburgh but i'm afraid that doesn't mean folk are going to pay £10 to see a band they've never heard of or know nothing about. This goes hand in hand with the advertising. I've said this hundreds and hundreds of times. Advertising and selling the band is hugely important. It's not difficult to do, you know that. There are plenty outlets in Caithness available for advertising and if folk had seen the advertising and seen that this band had supported acts like the Kaiser Chiefs and Richard Ashcroft then it's more than possible that you would be right and they would've paid the fee.

I'm all for supporting live music in Caithness. I've brought bands up and know the difficulties of getting a crowd but all i'm saying is, if you're going to charge £10, at least make it attractive so folk will part with that £10.

Johnny and Isaac host nights at the Lighthouse as you know and as far as i'm aware, never struggle to get a crowd for a reasonable door fee but that's only because they actually try to sell the act they're promoting.

Gleber2
27-Nov-07, 18:11
The manager of the Waterfront told me that there were at least 350-400 in for Saturday night. More, he assures me, than have been coming to the disco in recent months. Nobody complained about a £10 ticket. £7 for a disco or £10 for three bands. I think the latter a fair price whether the band is known or not.
As far as our concerts are concerned, the crowd is limited and a lot of our appeal is the fact that there are no drunks and everyone is there to enjoy good music in a silent, attentive atmosphere. It is relatively easy for us to attract the size of crowd I can accomodate without advertising. The are people who have never missed a night in 21 over three years. Some of our artists are internationally famous and indeed legendary while some are relatively unknown. Makes little difference to our numbers.

The Pepsi Challenge
27-Nov-07, 18:18
What the Gleeber said, bossman.

theboss
27-Nov-07, 18:19
Aye, but according to your son, 350-400 folk was at the end of the Jyrojets set. Look, i'm not wanting an orgument and i'm not trying to down the thing as it can only be good for local music and a local scene however, you can't disagree that it was advertised poorly. I have seen you advertise your nights, even if it's just a post on the Org. It does help and you sell the artist, you tell folk who he's played with, where he's played, what he's done which therefore attracts folk to the event.

All i'm doing is giving my opinion on how it can be improved. Hayseed Dixie is being promoted by Regular Music, one of the biggest promotion agencies in Scotland so we'll know then jusy how attractive live music is in Wick. If THEY can't sell an internationally touring band to Wick then who can.

Gleber2
27-Nov-07, 19:01
Aye, but according to your son, 350-400 folk was at the end of the Jyrojets set. Look, i'm not wanting an orgument and i'm not trying to down the thing as it can only be good for local music and a local scene however, you can't disagree that it was advertised poorly. I have seen you advertise your nights, even if it's just a post on the Org. It does help and you sell the artist, you tell folk who he's played with, where he's played, what he's done which therefore attracts folk to the event.

All i'm doing is giving my opinion on how it can be improved. Hayseed Dixie is being promoted by Regular Music, one of the biggest promotion agencies in Scotland so we'll know then jusy how attractive live music is in Wick. If THEY can't sell an internationally touring band to Wick then who can.

My opinion does not need to be an argument. There was a post on this forum, adverts in the Groat and some posters arround Wick and the crowd, according to Robert Sutherland, was up on the usual. He is very pleased with the response and will be continuing the experiment.
As far as PA is concerned, Dave, who used to own the Invershin Hotel will be supplying a rig at all future gigs. He can put on 10k plus of Mackie and Sampson PA.
The problem with getting name bands up to Wick is the price.
When a band demands a four figure fee AND 80% of the door it is not financially feasable to book big names. If the audience supports the affordable acts then perhaps we can expect bigger, more expensive acts in the future.
Regular music is already in the loop and Robert would be very pleased to talk to anyone who can offer constuctive advice and possible contacts for the future.
BTW, I have not posted on the forum for my own concerts for quite some time except for this one next Saturday. We have the only Caithness rock musician to play the Albert Hall( with George Harrison on stage for a song).

The Pepsi Challenge
27-Nov-07, 19:36
Surely the Courier/ Groat should be helping spread the word, giving coverage to a signed band who, as Bossman says, have signed a record deal and are supporting big commercial names? Surely that's news? If the paper - who are the county's eyes and ears, too - was genuinely interested in supporting live music, they would dedicate more column inches. Wouldn't they?

Gleber2
27-Nov-07, 19:40
Surely the Courier/ Groat should be helping spread the word, giving coverage to a signed band who, as Bossman says, have signed a record deal and are supporting big commercial names? Surely that's news? If the paper - who are the county's eyes and ears, too - was genuinely interested in supporting live music, they would dedicate more column inches. Wouldn't they?
There was an article in the Groat.

The Pepsi Challenge
27-Nov-07, 19:54
Excellent. Everyone is doing their bit.

:)

Jeid
28-Nov-07, 00:06

Just to be picky... can someone clear this point up for me, how many people were IN the place when the JJ's were ON stage? Roughly?

foreveruntitled
28-Nov-07, 00:34
Just to be picky... can someone clear this point up for me, how many people were IN the place when the JJ's were ON stage? Roughly?

I'd venture a guess at about 300, hard to tell really but people were saying its the busiest theyv seen the place in years except for gala nights.

Jeid
28-Nov-07, 00:39
Right. Someone said to theboss' wee brother that the place is usually a lot busier. Hence the confusion.